“Here, on the West Coast there is one wheat crop a year. Cool, wet winter. The Western Cape Province is exceptionally topographically and climatologically diverse, with many distinct micro and macroclimates, created by the varied topography and the influence of the surrounding ocean currents. Edible plants that can be grown in the Western Cape during a drought. Not sure, I would email some of the organic seed suppliers and ask them, they may sell crowns. If you are totally new to gardening in the Cape, friendly neighbours can give invaluable advice, or you many even decide to take a stroll through your suburb or local parks to take small cuttings of plants which appeal to you. Vegetables: . Herbs: mint, sage, thyme, marjoram, oreganum, basil, rosemary, fennel, dill, bay leaves. More than 28% of the respondents simply argued that it was the “best” farming practice. Visit his flickr page.If you live inland of the Betty’s Bay coast and many parts of the Cape Peninsula, your soil is probably derived from sandstone or even granite. Short (1-5 years), medium (6-15 years) and long term (+16 But with supermarkets offering air freighted foods, artificially preserved foods and farmers growing using unnatural methods to extended their seasons it can be difficult to tell what is seasonal food anymore? If you are looking for a supplier or organic, seasonal, fresh fruit and vegetables (plus other foods and organic cleaners etc.) PLEASE COULD YOU ADVISE ME TO WHERE TO GO, thank you. Thunderstorms are generally rare in the province (except in the Karoo), and extremes of heat and cold are common inland, but rare near the coast. The Western Cape’s natural beauty, famous hospitality, cultural diversity, excellent wine and rich cuisine make it one of the world’s greatest tourist attractions. Picture courtesy Thomas Guillem. As I want to start my own vegetable garden. “Retail” offset will be nice so if anyone is interrested in buying bulk then let me know! Confined to the South Western Cape and western part of the Southern Cape. Camps Bay. Those who did indicate the crops they used, mentioned lucerne, rye and canola. Be extremely careful not to plant any invasive alien species in your garden. If you know of any other great crops that we can grow in Cape Town share those with us and other subsistence farmers in our area. Kirstenbosch Botanical Gardens. Indigenous plants are the best choice for your main framework of trees and shrubs because they have evolved over eons to adapt to their local environment. Here we attempt to provide a seasonal calendar for the Western Cape in South Africa. The second is how wet the soil becomes during the rainy months and how freely it drains. South Africa has a vast variety of plants we can grow in our landscapes that are indigenous, edible and can tolerate drought conditions. It is cultivated along the Indian Ocean seaboard and the Midlands region. Citrus is produced in the irrigation areas of Limpopo, Mpumalanga, the Eastern Cape, Western Cape and KwaZulu-Natal. Because different localities in the Cape present a variety of growing conditions, including rainfall, wind exposure and soil type, one plant list will not suit everyone. The closest my local garden centre came was the indoor-type, which cannot be eaten. Visit his flickr page From spring to late summer a strong, often persistent and dry south-easterly wind blows on the South African coastline. Sugar cane (mostly rainfed) is the major crop in Kwazulu-Natal. Picture courtesy Christopher Griner. Because topography and climatic statistics can vary greatly over even short distances, this can pose many problems for gardeners, unless you understand the subtle nuances of your particular region. However, if the South-Easter is accompanied by a cut-off low as occasionally happens in the spring and autumn months, this can cause heavy rains to fall over the Western Cape. There are currently about 16500 hectares of avocado plantations, and that area is growing by about 1000 hectares a year. The hottest month of a typical year in the Western Cape is the month of February, but during March and April the weather of the region becomes idyllic as the summer heat subsides and the wind settles down. Having great difficulty getting kumquats- fresh or frozen. Pineapples are grown in the Eastern Cape and northern KwaZulu-Natal. An easy scientific method to determine if your soil is calcareous or not is to dilute one part battery acid with nine parts water and then add some soil. Picture ourtesy Allan Watt. Good day, we are planning to produce vegetables of about 30ha in the Prince Albert region! Namibia Hi David, I’d like to chat to you about garlic. This type of soil has a high pH and is alkaline. It is a serious problem in Mpumalanga and Limpopo Provinces, but not in the Western and Eastern Cape Provinces. Earthshine essential services certificate, Earthshine, Winner at the Small Business Awards, Simple Seasonal Smoothie – Grapefruit & Buchu. i hope so. Does one have to plant new each season or do some just keep going. There is no supermarket that will buy any produce in advance so best to plant grow and when you have make sure that the quality is great! The National Chamber of Milling advises farmers and buyers as to which cultivars are the most suitable for their specific area. I want to plant sweet corn beginning of August but want to sell it before I plant. Franschoek. Would you have any advise for me or know where I could market it? Can you please publish a list with prices of the things we may order from your shop to be included with the pizza delivery. Epping market, Cape Town for all bulk fruit and veg, Hi im in the Western Cape and would really love to purchase some loquats do you stock them? In its temperate rainforests (or Afromontane Forests), grow typical hardwood species of exceptional height, such as Yellowwood, Stinkwood and Ironwood trees, and these forests cover many areas adjacent to the coast, reaching inland in deep river valleys and along the southern slopes of the Outeniqua mountain range. Indigenous plants have also developed a symbiotic relationship with many of the insects, birds and local animals over a long time, creating a complex system of life that we must support, rather than disrupt, in order to sustain the huge variety of life forms in the eco-system. It also contains small quartz grains and only small amounts of organic matter, and is therefore poor in plant nutrients like nitrogen and potassium. Picture courtesy Thomas Guillem. Visit his flickr page. This type of soil is hard to amend, so it is better to introduce indigenous plants which thrive on such soils. Picture courtesy Bob Adams. These crops grow best at temperatures ranging from 15ºC to 18ºC. On this website you will find not ‘only’ flowers of incredible beauty, but also handy hints on how to grow and nurture them, how to protect them without poisoning plant life and the myriad of creepy crawlies that are part of their symbiotic circle. Enter your email address to subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email. Franschoek. Join in on more of these interesting discussions on Kfm Mornings, weekdays from 6 am - 9 am only on Kfm 94.5. In the Western Cape, cereals (mostly rainfed wheat in rotation with lupin, canola and/or sub-terranean clover) are grown mainly in the Rûens and Swartland sub regions. http://www.ethical.org.za. peaches, pears, plums, pomegranates, quince, lemons, grapefruit-imported, mangoes, pineapples, grapes, spanspek, watermelon. We currently have customers on the markets and in the restaurant trade in Cape Town and around the Southern suburbs drop me a line with any inquiries. Any suggestions where I can purchase? Vegetables: jerusalem artichokes, green beans, beetroot, broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower, sweet peppers, carrots, celery, chives, courgettes, cucumber, brinajl, endive-limited supply, leeks, garlic-scarce, lettuce, mealies, mushrooms, onion, parsley, parsnips, potatoes, pumpkin, radishes, spinach, squash, sweet potatoes, tomatoes, turnips, Fruit: apples granny smith, fuji-mid April, pears, avocados, bananas, lemons, grapefruit-imported, grapes, gooseberry; pineapples winter melons; pomegranates, Herbs: mint, sage, thyme, marjoram, oreganum, rosemary, bay leaves, Vegetables: jerusalem artichokes, green beans, beetroot, broccoli, brussels sprouts, cabbage, sweet peppers, carrots, cauliflower, celery, chives, courgettes, cucumber, endive, horseradish-limited, kale, leeks, garlic-scarce, lettuce, mushrooms, onion, parsley, parsnips, potatoes, pumpkin, radishes, spinach, gem squash, sweet potatoes, tomatoes, turnips, peas, Fruit: avocados, bananas, oranges, lemons, grapefruit-imported, guavas, paw-paw, pineapples, Cape gooseberry, pecan nuts, Herbs: mint, sage, thyme, marjoram, oreganum, rosemary, fennel, bay leaves, Vegetables: jerusalem artichokes, beetroot, broccoli, brussels sprouts, cabbage, carrots, cauliflower, celery, chives, cucumber, endive, horseradish, kale, leeks, garlic-scarce, lettuce, mushrooms, onion, parsley, parsnips, potatoes, pumpkin, radishes, spinach, squash, sweet potatoes, turnips, peas, Fruit: avocado, bananas, orange, lemons, grapefruit, naartjies, limes, guavas, paw-paw, pineapples, Cape gooseberries, granadilla, kiwi-limited, rhubarb, apples, Vegetables: beetroot, broad beans, broccoli, black radish, Japanese white radish-daikon, brussel sprouts, cabbage, carrots, cauliflower, celery, celeriac, endive, horseradish, kale-red russian, kale-black cavolo nero, kohlrabi, leeks, garlic-scarce, lettuce, mushrooms, onion, parsley, parsnips, peppers, potatoes, pumpkin, radishes, swiss chard, spring onion, gem squash, sweet potatoes, tomatoes, tatsoi, pak choi, turnips, peas, Fruit: avocado, bananas, oranges, lemons, grapefruit, naartjies, kumquats, guavas, paw-paw, pineapples, Cape gooseberry, granadillas, kiwi, apples, Herbs: mint, sage, thyme, sweet marjoram, oreganum, rosemary, fennel, bay leaves, lavender, parsley, dandelion, nasturtiums, garlic chives, winter savoury, calendula, nettle, rocket, sage-limited, bulb fennel, perennial basil, sorrel, bloody sorrel, lemon grass stems, lime leaves, cat mint, green & red mustard, garden cress, Vegetables: asparagus, beetroot, broad beans, broccoli, black radish, Japanese white radish-daikon, brussel sprouts, cabbage, carrots, cauliflower, celery, celeriac, cucumber, endive, horseradish, kale, leeks, garlic-scarce, lettuce, mushrooms, new potatoes, onion, parsley, parsnips, peas, potatoes, pumpkin, radishes, spring onion, Swiss Chard, squash, sweet potatoes, tomatoes, tatsoi, pak choi, turnips.