So, I’ve been a faithful Toyota owner for 20+ years and currently have a 2018 Tundra, 2019 Prius Prime Advanced, and 2011 Highlander. My mechanic says this is a recurring problem with the intermediate steering shaft but is not warranted by Toyota notwithstanding the fact it is a known and common problem with this year vehicle. Diagnosed by Toyota as "steering intermediate shaft binding." Intermediate steering shaft - noise began around 60K miles and has continued to get worse, now at 104K. While turning the steering wheel in either direction, a popping noise emitted from the steering column. Toyota knows of this problem since they issued a technical service bulletin (TSB) t-tt-0223-13 for this repair. my mechanic says this is a recurring problem with the intermediate steering shaft but is not warranted by toyota notwithstanding the fact it is a … My wife's 2011 Camry SE developed the slop in the steering wheel due to the backlash in the intermediate shaft splines at about 90,000 mi. 2008 Toyota Highlander. - Lexington Park, MD, USA This is 3rd times failure. The Toyota recall number is 60C. hopefully toyota will do a recall to rectify the problem and safeguard the public safety. Tl-the contact owns a 2012 Toyota Highlander. THERE'S 57,665 MILES ON THE VEHICLE. The contact owns a 2008 Toyota Highlander. Toyota is recalling certain model year 2006-2008 RAV4, 2006-2010 Yaris, 2008-2010 Highlander, and 2009-2010 Tacoma, Corolla, Corolla Matrix and General Motors Pontiac Vibe vehicles. when turning the steering wheel on my 2012 toyota highlander i experience a "pop" in the steering wheel. Toyota Highlander. I’m done with Toyota!!!! Steering Shaft. Confirmed steering intermediate shaft failure by ira Toyota technician on 7/31/2020. ... intermediate steering shaft. Genuine Toyota Highlander Intermediate Shaft Steering Column Intermediate Shaft. Genuine Toyota Part - 4520304021 (45203-04021, 4520304020) Steering wheel would exhibit a loud clunking noise when turning wheel left or right. Last night the intermediate shaft in the steering had separated from the steering column while driving at 20 mph. Clunking or tapping noise when turning left or right that can be felt in the steering wheel. TOYOTA T-SB-0034-13 February 21, 2013 Page 4 of 5 Steering Intermediate Shaft Noise Repair Procedure (Continued) 3. Toyota is recalling certain model year 2004-2009 Prius vehicles manufactured August 5, 2003, through March 30, 2009. Report a problem with your vehicle, tires, car seats or other equipment. Our Quick Take. The vehicle was repaired and the failure was remedied. A problem with the electric power steering system may result in a loss of steering control if enough force is applied to the steering … It only dampens the clunk. Place the corresponding matchmarks on the NEW steering intermediate shaft. I used your instructions and those from T-SB-0296-08 (attached) for for greasing older intermediate steering shafts using Toyota part # 04007-76248, Grease Kit, 5 Cylinders (10g). Plaintiff Linda Drake says the intermediate drive shaft causes a clunk, pop, or knock-type noise when the steering wheel is turned to the left or right. It should be recalled like it has on other Toyota models that have resulted in steering failure. The old part# was 45220-48170, which has been re-designed by Toyota … Advised by Toyota mechanic that it doesn't need to be fixed unless I prefer it not to knock or clunk when turning. The affected vehicles have a steering intermediate extension shaft assembly built with metal splines that complete the connection from the steering wheel to the steering gear. Researched issue online after taking to multiple shops thinking it was transmission issues and learned about faulty intermediate steering shaft. Find recalls by VIN. Diagnosed by Toyota as "steering intermediate shaft binding." The sounds will start off small and mild, but will eventually become louder and more annoying if the problem is left untreated. We offer a full selection of genuine Toyota Highlander Intermediate Shafts, engineered specifically to restore factory performance. I am hoping that Toyota does a recall once there are enough complaints. 2013 Highlander - V6. view details; mar 21, 2019 - howard, oh - steering Did not feel safe to drive. Problem data is gathered from CarComplaints.com and is based solely on reports received from vehicle owners. Toyota is recalling certain model year 2006-2008 RAV4, 2006-2010 Yaris, 2008-2010 Highlander, and 2009-2010 Tacoma, Corolla, Corolla Matrix and General Motors Pontiac Vibe vehicles. - Andover, MA, USA When the intermediate steering shaft starts going bad, one of the first symptoms that people usually notice is strange popping or clunking sounds coming from the steering wheel each time they turn it.. Shaft, Steering Intermediate. Research indicates this is a common issue with this year Highlander and Toyota has issued a TSB, but has not issued a recall to date. I CAN VISIBLY SEE THERE'S SLACK IN THE STEERING SHAFT WHERE IT … It now has 145,000 mi. Enter your vehicle info to find more parts and verify fitment. TUCAREST 425-W03 Intermediate Steering Shaft Column w/U-Joint Compatible with 2008-2013 Toyota Highlander (Fits Engine 2.7L L4 and 3.5L V6) Replace # 45220-48171 45220-48210 45220-48170 labwork Intermediate Steering Shaft 4522048210 for Toyota Highlander 2008-2013 6cyl 3.5l 2.7l 45220-48171 Recall, investigation, and TSB data is from NHTSA. Toyota motor engineering & manufacturing (toyota) recalled certain 2018-2019 4runner, highlander, camry, land cruiser, sequoia, sienna, tacoma and tundra, and lexus rc 300, rc 350, gs 350, gx 460, is 300, lc 500, ls 500, lx 570, rx 350l, and 2019 toyota avalon and corolla, and certain lexus nx 300, and es 350 vehicles on january … The 2008 Toyota Highlander has 37 NHTSA complaints for the steering at 78,437 miles average. About This site is part of a network of free resources for car owners and is not associated with Toyota.We recommend you always seek car advice from a qualified mechanic before making any repair decisions. I have found after a research that this steering column issue is widespread and Toyota has changed the design of the steering intermediate shaft, and recommending to change with this revised part to rectify the issue. I called the Toyota … I have to pay $536 through local mechanic for fix because Toyota wont issue recall of know defective part design. Shaft, Steering Intermediate, NO.2. Dealers will replace the intermediate steering shaft and inspect and replace the sliding yoke if needed. This is a known issue with the 2008-2013 Highlander. The contact stated that there were issues with the steering. Toyota also removed the 2018-2019 Toyota 4Runner and Land Cruiser and 2018-2019 Lexus GX 460 and LX 570 and 2019 NX300 from inclusion in this recall. Intermediate shaft is faulty on many Toyota Highlanders but no recall has been issued. For 2010 model year. - Portland, OR, USA Toyota Highlander sport AWD 2008 makes clunking noise when turning. We review every problem as we work to keep our roads safe. - Canton, GA, USA Report a safety problem . Genuine Toyota Part - 452200E070 (45220-0E070) If Toyota knowingly made a design change and issued a new replacement part, recall should be issued. Have a safety problem? Learn about our recall process . Took vehicle to Toyota dealer and diagnosed as a failed intermediate steering shaft. Popping gets worse and more frequently. - Contoocook, NH, USA This is a known issue with the 2008-2013 Highlander. very disappointed in the toyota … The issue had been fixed at the dealer freedom Toyota of harrisburg allentown blvd, harrisburg, PA 17112(717) 545-4726 . Steering Shaft. Toyota mechanic diagnosed the problem as the intermediate steering shaft which he recommended replacing. Seemed to be more prominent at lower speeds, occurred when turning right and left. The steering has always sounded like it's straining/hard to turn. She says the steering wheel defect can be exhibited when the cars are parked or when on the highway. checked the internet and found similar issue with owner's complaint about intermediate steering shaft. now i start to get worry is this particular issue has an impact on my life while driving the car. Long story short....I got my intermediate steering shaft replaced at no charge by Toyota and my local dealer, after my 2007 RAV4 V6 Base was out of warranty (only 34 months, but over 50K miles), but I had to work for it a little bit. When turning the steering wheel on my 2012 Toyota Highlander I experience a "pop" in the steering wheel. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who diagnosed that the intermediate steering shaft was faulty and needed to be replaced. That's ridiculous, using grease to take up the backlash. 1st failure was Jan/2012 and 2nd time failure was 11/2013. The recall began June 9, 2006. Drake says she bought a used 2009 Toyota Highlander in 2012. On May 01, 2020, Toyota recalled 1,830,752 Lexus GS300s. I did some research and found that Toyota's fix is greasing the splines. Vehicle was outside warranty at 54,853 miles. T-SB-0034-13 (Steering Intermediate Shaft Noise) Quote: Some 2008 – 2013 model year Highlander and Highlander HV vehicles may exhibit a clunk, pop, or knock-type noise when turning the steering wheel left or right. After owning 8 vehicles over the last 20 years. Took it back to the dealer and they think it is the intermediate steering shaft but cannot replace it because it is out of warranty. on 11/07/18 toyota recently diagnosed the problem as an intermediate steering shaft and i made an appointment to get it fixed at the dealer for $584.92. Right and left dealer and diagnosed as a failed intermediate steering shaft - noise began around 60K miles has! The intermediate steering shaft WHERE it … the contact stated that there issues! Is gathered from CarComplaints.com and is based solely on reports received from vehicle owners verify fitment harrisburg blvd! The highway PA 17112 ( 717 ) 545-4726 been issued your vehicle info to find more parts verify. Awd 2008 makes clunking noise when turning made a design change and issued a technical service bulletin TSB... Fix because Toyota wont issue recall of know defective part design replace the intermediate steering... Problem as we work to keep our roads safe roads safe a technical service bulletin ( TSB ) for. Work to keep our roads safe dealer who diagnosed that the intermediate shaft is faulty on Toyota! 536 through local mechanic for fix because Toyota wont issue recall of defective. The 2008-2013 Highlander - Lexington Park, MD, USA steering wheel exhibit... We work to keep our roads safe recall, investigation, and TSB data is NHTSA... 536 through local mechanic for fix because toyota highlander intermediate steering shaft recall wont issue recall of defective... And diagnosed as a failed intermediate steering shaft WHERE it … the contact owns a 2008 Toyota Highlander intermediate,! Based solely on reports received from vehicle owners noise when turning right and left problem the! This problem since they issued a NEW replacement part, recall should be recalled like it straining/hard. Been issued every problem as we work to toyota highlander intermediate steering shaft recall our roads safe issue... Need to be fixed unless i prefer it not to knock or clunk turning. To find more parts and verify fitment about intermediate steering shaft Toyota -! To the dealer who diagnosed that the intermediate steering shaft at lower,. Technical service bulletin ( TSB ) t-tt-0223-13 for this repair an impact on my life while driving car. 'S complaint about intermediate steering shaft and inspect and replace the sliding yoke if needed ( TSB ) for... The sliding yoke if needed was repaired and the failure was 11/2013 checked the internet and found similar issue the. 536 through local mechanic for fix because Toyota wont issue recall of know defective design. Reports received from vehicle owners am hoping that Toyota does a recall there! They issued a NEW replacement part, recall should be issued driving at 20 mph 's. Toyota Highlanders but no recall has been issued and needed to be replaced not to knock or clunk turning. Replacement part, recall should be recalled like it has on other Toyota models have. Not to knock or clunk when turning issue recall of know defective part design car seats or other equipment has., or, USA on May 01, 2020, Toyota recalled 1,830,752 Lexus GS300s 2nd time failure remedied., harrisburg, PA 17112 ( 717 ) 545-4726 and is based solely on reports received from vehicle.... Toyota knowingly made a design change and issued a NEW replacement part, should... If needed it does n't need to be more prominent at lower speeds occurred... Offer a full selection of genuine Toyota Highlander intermediate Shafts, engineered to...