A really easy recipe with only 5 simple ingredients. Let me know how you go , this looks so good and doable. surely will have to give it a tryy. Take the stress out of dinner and sign up for food inspiration delivered right to your inbox! To find out more please refer to my Privacy Policy. Thank you so much for the recipe! We use cookies to make wikiHow great. Simply sift flour and salt into a bowl, rub in butter until the mixture resembles fine crumbs then make a well to add milk and water. Barbecue Home Made Damper Add the butter and rub it into the flour with finger tips until it resembles fine bread crumbs. Break the damper into chunks and spread with butter and favourite topping such as honey, golden syrup, jam or vegemite. Place dough in the camp oven or pan. I will ask my mom to try it! What tempature do I need for an oven to cook damper? I hope you give it a go and enjoy it with a pot of freshly brewed lemon myrtle tea. When using Heat Beads, I use around 10 heat beads on the bottom and 14 … Preheat oven to 190 degrees C. In a large bowl, sift together flour, salt and baking powder. Traditionally damper was served with Billy tea. Cut in the butter. I havent been to Aussie thanks for sharing this recipe. Back then damper was eaten with dried meat or golden syrup. ¾ teaspoon of mustard seed. Next make a well in the centre and add milk and water. After reading the task I was relieved that making the bread did not require yeast and that it was in fact damper we were making. Do not expect the butter to mix like it would if you were, say, creaming butter and sugar. You can even cut your beer damper up and eat them like a scone or use it as a substitute for sandwich bread. This is a great modern version of damper. Bake in a preheated oven for 30 minutes or until the damper is cooked through and sounds hollow when tapped on the base. Easy, healthy and delicious recipes for busy families. Combine the butter, milk and 125 ml (4 fl oz/½ cup) water and pour into the well in the flour mixture. This article was co-authored by our trained team of editors and researchers who validated it for accuracy and comprehensiveness. Traditional Australian damper, an Aussie favourite thats been around for generations. A loaf of damper can come in at less than $0.30/loaf! Refrigerator dampers allow cold air to flow from the freezer to the refrigerator. This post may contain affiliate links, which means I may receive a commission, at no extra cost to you, if you make a purchase through a link. Hi there thanks for visiting! Using a flat-bladed knife, stir until just combined. find out more about me here. Please consider making a contribution to wikiHow today. Transfer to a wire rack and leave to cool for 5 mins. This recipe takes the simply damper recipe and adds a little bit of butter and milk to make the damper buttery and delicious. ¾ of mixed herbs. If you have any questions about this Cookie Policy, please contact us marie@mrsfoodiemumma.com. Making damper in front of nature’s television – the campfire! Add the butter and rub in with your fingertips. 3 Divide into two pieces and roll into a snake shape. Stir in sugar. This website uses cookies. Your information will *never* be shared or sold to a 3rd party. Stir in milk until a soft dough forms. Here’s Jamie with his damper looking mighty impressed with himself. - Pinch of salt. This article has been viewed 65,882 times. Place the damper onto a lightly floured trivet covered with foil and put the lid on the camp oven. The string is tight between two points, like a guitar string, and runs back and forth twice, and is twisted around itself. Here is an easy recipe to make this Aussie campfire staple. 2. Luckily, a traditional damper recipe is super easy to recreate! Don’t worry if you don’t have a camp fire or camp oven to cook with either, baking the damper in your regular kitchen oven will work just as well. Use the pastry cutter or your fingers to gently mash the butter into the flour. Place on a greased oven tray. You can revoke your consent any time using the Revoke consent button. Make sure not to knead the dough but slowly cup it with your hands. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface, knead into a ball. The dough should be fairly soft, but not too sticky. Bake at 425 degrees for 25 minutes before reducing the temperature to 350 and baking until golden brown. Damper, also known as bush bread or seedcake, is a European term that refers to bread made by Australian Aborigines for many thousands of years. It’s been a hard year for so many Victorian school kids as we navigate blindly through this pandemic. A fireplace damper is a fairly simple device which controls the flow of air through the chimney. These labourers would be in remote locations for long periods of time and had only basic ingredients for cooking. Drill screws into the branch and wrap wire around each screw. As previously mentioned, our version of Blueberry Damper is inspired by Anneka Manning’s recipe found on SBS Food. For this reason, consider hiring a professional to diagnose and repair the probl… Take sharp knife. wikiHow's. Other fresh herbs such as parsley, rosemary, marjoram. My kids love honey and even vegemite on their damper! Three and a half cups of self raising flour [250gm] ¾ teaspoon of salt. The recipe itself is uncomplicated and thats why It’s such a great recipe for kids. If you really can’t stand to see another ad again, then please consider supporting our work with a contribution to wikiHow. {"smallUrl":"https:\/\/www.wikihow.com\/images\/thumb\/f\/f2\/Make-Damper-Step-1-Version-3.jpg\/v4-460px-Make-Damper-Step-1-Version-3.jpg","bigUrl":"\/images\/thumb\/f\/f2\/Make-Damper-Step-1-Version-3.jpg\/aid1206680-v4-728px-Make-Damper-Step-1-Version-3.jpg","smallWidth":460,"smallHeight":345,"bigWidth":"728","bigHeight":"546","licensing":"

License: Fair Use<\/a> (screenshot)
\n<\/p><\/div>"}, {"smallUrl":"https:\/\/www.wikihow.com\/images\/thumb\/9\/9b\/Make-Damper-Step-2-Version-3.jpg\/v4-460px-Make-Damper-Step-2-Version-3.jpg","bigUrl":"\/images\/thumb\/9\/9b\/Make-Damper-Step-2-Version-3.jpg\/aid1206680-v4-728px-Make-Damper-Step-2-Version-3.jpg","smallWidth":460,"smallHeight":345,"bigWidth":"728","bigHeight":"546","licensing":"

\n<\/p><\/div>"}, {"smallUrl":"https:\/\/www.wikihow.com\/images\/thumb\/d\/dc\/Make-Damper-Step-3-Version-3.jpg\/v4-460px-Make-Damper-Step-3-Version-3.jpg","bigUrl":"\/images\/thumb\/d\/dc\/Make-Damper-Step-3-Version-3.jpg\/aid1206680-v4-728px-Make-Damper-Step-3-Version-3.jpg","smallWidth":460,"smallHeight":345,"bigWidth":"728","bigHeight":"546","licensing":"

\n<\/p><\/div>"}, {"smallUrl":"https:\/\/www.wikihow.com\/images\/thumb\/a\/a8\/Make-Damper-Step-4-Version-3.jpg\/v4-460px-Make-Damper-Step-4-Version-3.jpg","bigUrl":"\/images\/thumb\/a\/a8\/Make-Damper-Step-4-Version-3.jpg\/aid1206680-v4-728px-Make-Damper-Step-4-Version-3.jpg","smallWidth":460,"smallHeight":345,"bigWidth":"728","bigHeight":"546","licensing":"

\n<\/p><\/div>"}, {"smallUrl":"https:\/\/www.wikihow.com\/images\/thumb\/1\/1a\/Make-Damper-Step-5-Version-3.jpg\/v4-460px-Make-Damper-Step-5-Version-3.jpg","bigUrl":"\/images\/thumb\/1\/1a\/Make-Damper-Step-5-Version-3.jpg\/aid1206680-v4-728px-Make-Damper-Step-5-Version-3.jpg","smallWidth":460,"smallHeight":345,"bigWidth":"728","bigHeight":"546","licensing":"

\n<\/p><\/div>"}, {"smallUrl":"https:\/\/www.wikihow.com\/images\/thumb\/5\/51\/Make-Damper-Step-6-Version-3.jpg\/v4-460px-Make-Damper-Step-6-Version-3.jpg","bigUrl":"\/images\/thumb\/5\/51\/Make-Damper-Step-6-Version-3.jpg\/aid1206680-v4-728px-Make-Damper-Step-6-Version-3.jpg","smallWidth":460,"smallHeight":345,"bigWidth":"728","bigHeight":"546","licensing":"

\n<\/p><\/div>"}, {"smallUrl":"https:\/\/www.wikihow.com\/images\/thumb\/f\/f2\/Make-Damper-Step-7-Version-3.jpg\/v4-460px-Make-Damper-Step-7-Version-3.jpg","bigUrl":"\/images\/thumb\/f\/f2\/Make-Damper-Step-7-Version-3.jpg\/aid1206680-v4-728px-Make-Damper-Step-7-Version-3.jpg","smallWidth":460,"smallHeight":345,"bigWidth":"728","bigHeight":"546","licensing":"

\n<\/p><\/div>"}, {"smallUrl":"https:\/\/www.wikihow.com\/images\/thumb\/d\/d2\/Make-Damper-Step-8.jpg\/v4-460px-Make-Damper-Step-8.jpg","bigUrl":"\/images\/thumb\/d\/d2\/Make-Damper-Step-8.jpg\/aid1206680-v4-728px-Make-Damper-Step-8.jpg","smallWidth":460,"smallHeight":345,"bigWidth":"728","bigHeight":"546","licensing":"

\n<\/p><\/div>"}, {"smallUrl":"https:\/\/www.wikihow.com\/images\/thumb\/7\/7e\/Make-Damper-Step-9.jpg\/v4-460px-Make-Damper-Step-9.jpg","bigUrl":"\/images\/thumb\/7\/7e\/Make-Damper-Step-9.jpg\/aid1206680-v4-728px-Make-Damper-Step-9.jpg","smallWidth":460,"smallHeight":345,"bigWidth":"728","bigHeight":"546","licensing":"

\n<\/p><\/div>"}, {"smallUrl":"https:\/\/www.wikihow.com\/images\/thumb\/c\/c3\/Make-Damper-Step-10.jpg\/v4-460px-Make-Damper-Step-10.jpg","bigUrl":"\/images\/thumb\/c\/c3\/Make-Damper-Step-10.jpg\/aid1206680-v4-728px-Make-Damper-Step-10.jpg","smallWidth":460,"smallHeight":345,"bigWidth":"728","bigHeight":"546","licensing":"

\n<\/p><\/div>"}, {"smallUrl":"https:\/\/www.wikihow.com\/images\/thumb\/a\/ab\/Make-Damper-Step-11.jpg\/v4-460px-Make-Damper-Step-11.jpg","bigUrl":"\/images\/thumb\/a\/ab\/Make-Damper-Step-11.jpg\/aid1206680-v4-728px-Make-Damper-Step-11.jpg","smallWidth":460,"smallHeight":345,"bigWidth":"728","bigHeight":"546","licensing":"

\n<\/p><\/div>"}, {"smallUrl":"https:\/\/www.wikihow.com\/images\/thumb\/c\/c0\/Make-Damper-Final.jpg\/v4-460px-Make-Damper-Final.jpg","bigUrl":"\/images\/thumb\/c\/c0\/Make-Damper-Final.jpg\/aid1206680-v4-728px-Make-Damper-Final.jpg","smallWidth":460,"smallHeight":345,"bigWidth":"728","bigHeight":"546","licensing":"

\n<\/p><\/div>"}. Form into a round and place on an ungreased baking tray. Make a well in the centre, add the milk and water, mix with a knife until dough starts to come together. Add a cup of milk and ½ cup of water and stir until you have an even mixture. Place on top shelf in oven for 10-15 minutes then turn it over for a further 10-15 minutes. WOAH! Damper recipe. Thanks for publishing this recipe! Yes, you can. Perfect for afternoon tea with a pot of tea. Damper is a basic, yeast free bread recipe made by the early colonial settlers in the Australian Bush. A fun cooking adventure to be had with the kids. Advertisement. Pour in the milk and mix. Thanks I really hope your mum enjoys it!! Traditionalist version: Sift the flour and salt. 1 tablespoon of caster sugar: can be added during the second step if you want to make your beer damper sweeter. Predominantly made by stockmen, who looked after live stock and Swagmen who travelled by foot from farm to farm carrying all of their belongings in a swag (a kind of roll up bed). 2 ½ cups self rising flour 1 teaspoon salt (we have more flavors to battle so a little bit more salt is needed) 2 tablespoons butter, cubed 1 cup milk Sift the flour and salt into a bowl and make a well in the centre. Use a knife that has been dipped in flour to mark 8 wedges on top. woohoo! Cook for about 20 – 25 minutes. Please see my full disclosure for further information. Include your email address to get a message when this question is answered. Here's how to make Nornie's damper. If you do be sure to let me know how it goes by leaving a comment below , Make clean up a breeze with a dough scraper, Wow! We just took the kids to a few station stays in Western Australia, and we tried damper for the first time and loved it! The origins of damper are from a poor settler's simple combination of flour and water cooked in the coals of a fire. If you have a pastry blender, use this to cut the butter into the dry ingredients. Every day at wikiHow, we work hard to give you access to instructions and information that will help you live a better life, whether it's keeping you safer, healthier, or improving your well-being. By using this service, some information may be shared with YouTube. In a large bowl, stir together the flour and the salt. Grease a baking tray. Fill the middle of each damper with either jam or chocolate spread. Bake for 30 minutes or until golden brown and cooked through. Wash your hands then then form your dough into a loaf. Next make a well in the centre and add milk and water. Required fields are marked *. ¾ teaspoon of Oregano. Click here to sign up to my mailing list and get all my recipes delivered right to your inbox! Make sure you never miss a recipe! All tip submissions are carefully reviewed before being published, This article was co-authored by our trained team of editors and researchers who validated it for accuracy and comprehensiveness. This tea was made by boiling water in a billy can, a metal can with a wire handle. Make sure to get the fire roaring well before you start, so the coals are hot and ready! We know ads can be annoying, but they’re what allow us to make all of wikiHow available for free. By signing up you are agreeing to receive emails according to our privacy policy. It will keep for an extra day or two but it will go hard within a day. Some people even put sweet ingredients like chocolate chips or marshmallows inside. Use it to cut a criss-cross pattern across the top of your loaf of bread. Bake for 30 minutes, or until golden brown. I really appreciate your support, This website may contain affiliate links, which means I may receive a commission, at no extra cost to you, if you make a purchase through a link. wikiHow's Content Management Team carefully monitors the work from our editorial staff to ensure that each article is backed by trusted research and meets our high quality standards. No yeast required, It’s delicious served warm with butter and jam and of course freshly brewed tea. Flatten into a 17cm disc and place on tray. Start with a basic damper dough and then cook it over the fire or in the oven. Once you have mastered this you can experiment with lots of other flavours. However, you can also cook damper over the fire when camping. Learning how to make your cabinets and drawers soft close is also an economy project at just $2-4 per cabinet door and $5-25 per drawer (depending on approach). Turn out onto a floured surface, knead and shape into a flat ball. As much as you need to make a dough. How to make damper: Step 1 In a bowl, add 2 cups … ¾ teaspoon of sugar. Your support helps wikiHow to create more in-depth illustrated articles and videos and to share our trusted brand of instructional content with millions of people all over the world. To say that home schooling has been tough on our family would be an understatement as we try and find a routine that will fit in both me and my husband working, home schooling Olive and Jamie and trying to give William our three year old some much needed attention. Then place onto a greased oven tray and flatten so you have 15cm round. This recipe is: Damper is often made on camping trips but this easy damper recipe for kids can be whipped up in your own kitchen with minimum fuss and maximum good fun. Thanks Jeannie, you def could use vegan butter with this recipe! About 200°C for the first ten minutes is ideal, until the damper is changing color and rising (if you added baking soda or uses self raising flour), then 165°C for half an hour or until golden and it sounds hollow when tapped. Last Updated: November 5, 2020 As times progressed, people became richer and items like butter and milk became more accessible thus damper grew into a recipe like the one below. Preheat the oven to 210°C (415°F/Gas 6–7). So this recipe is the basic traditional damper recipe. Stir until the … Please consider making a contribution to wikiHow today. Rub in the butter using your fingertips until the mixture resembles bread crumbs. ½ teaspoon of cracked pepper. The dough used to make damper is supposed to wrap around a stick and placed into an iron pot in order to cook it properly and finally the whole set up is buried in the hot coals. looks yum and delicious! 4) Set Up String to Hold The Branches in Place. Buttered and Delicious Damper. After some time, the result is: the dough is turned into a bread, which is called ‘Damper’ in Australia. This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed. When you're done, everything should be mixed uniformly together. To learn how to make damper over a campfire, keep reading! Other features of a refrigerator's cooling system might also be affecting the damper's operation, so it may not be an isolated problem. Mix with a butter knife until the mixture starts to come together In a large bowl, stir together flour, sugar and a generous pinch of salt. I have been told a very similar brew to that of the traditional tea used is Lemon Myrtle and you can purchase the blend here. Recipe by: GourmetGirl. To cook damper, begin by stirring together 4 cups of flour and 1 teaspoon of salt. tips. Take the stress out of dinner, join our mailing list to receive recipes straight to your inbox! Thanks Antonia, its so easy to make! Sift the flour and salt into a bowl and make a well in the middle. There’s nothing like a bit of fresh baked bread on a cold winter’s camp morning. . Thank you for a great recipe! Once the water was boiled, tea leaves were added and then the billy can was swung over your head to settle the tea leaves. You should be able to easily handle and form the dough. If you don’t have self raising flour you can use plain flour with a tablespoon of baking powder or bicarb soda. I actually gave the kids full reins and fought any urge to jump in and take over. Traditional damper was made with just salt, flour and water. 3. With generic brand self-raising flour costing less than $1/kg, baking damper and other bread in your camp over is a cost-effective way to feed the family. Wind around a clean, dry stick. Your email address will not be published. Help spread the word. By using our site, you agree to our. The idea of these dampers is that they will help to retain heat inside the house instead of … Let the kids make the … This looks so good. (In East Gippsland, the people of the Gunai Kurnai even made damper with ground, native truffles the size of small footballs.) I live in Melbourne with my husband Joe and my three children. Honey and butter are delicious toppings for damper. You can make damper at home in the oven. They did a really good job and it was a really fun cooking experience. On Friday my stress levels went up another level when Jamie came running up to me at 9am with “Mummy we have to make bread today” my first reaction was a lot of obscenities (in my head of course) and then my second was OMG does it need yeast because finding yeast at the supermarket is like winning the lottery thesedays. Variations and Beer Damper Recipe Substitutions. Amid the current public health and economic crises, when the world is shifting dramatically and we are all learning and adapting to changes in daily life, people need wikiHow more than ever. Thanks to all authors for creating a page that has been read 65,882 times. Here are some other flavours to add into your dough. The damper is actually a metal plate which can be moved to either open or close the chimney. delicious. The screws and wire help fix the branch to the concrete and make the entire tamper stronger. Cover a lightly floured trivet with foil and put the dough on it. It's easy to make and has few ingredients. Serve warm or at room temperature with your favourite spreads. there are 3 steps to making Aussie damper, the first being rubbing the butter into the flour and salt until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Then, mix in 1 tablespoon of butter until the mixture resembles fine crumbs. So that is how you make traditional Aussie damper! But while cabinet drawer upgrades are a bit more involved it is an easily done DIY project. I feel particularly sad for Jamie and all the kids starting school in 2020 as I remember all the fun things my daughter Olive experienced in her first year of school. 3 cups self-raising flour (enough for one type of damper) 4 x 30cm sheets of banana leaves (optional) 2 tbs room temperature butter (or vegan butter) Damper is an iconic Australian wheat based bread which was traditionally baked at a camp fire in a camp oven. % of people told us that this article helped them. If you have a gas oven, the temperature settings may not be 100% accurate. How to make damper Category: News, Date: 8 December 2014 . Now that your dough is ready, place it on a flour-coated plate and form it into a circular loaf with a criss-cross pattern cut into the top. Learn more... Damper is a traditional Australian bush bread, that was once cooked over an open fire. Ingredients Damper. If … Using a sharp knife, cut a cross on the top of the dough and brush the top with milk. Add flour and salt into a bowl, rub in cubed butter until mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Add the milk and stir it in with a butter knife. Australian damper, damper, damper recipe, no yeast. You should use an oven thermometer to make sure your oven is actually at the right temperature. I can’t wait to try your recipe– it’s good to know we don’t need a campfire. So I just had to share it with all of you!! Slowly pour water into the bowl until the ingredients start to form a dough. With the Blum damper it’s as simple as installing a screw. There are 13 references cited in this article, which can be found at the bottom of the page. Go for the classic version or shake things up with a pumpkin, wattleseed or saltbush damper. My son Jamie started prep this year. To make savoury dampers, reduce the sugar to 50g, and add 50g grated cheddar and a handful … With colonisation, the cook-in-the-fire concept remained, but the native ingredients were exchanged for flour. CONTACT US When you're done cutting in the butter, your dough should resemble fine crumbs. Keep stirring until you have an even mixture. http://allrecipes.com/recipe/16726/australian-damper/, http://www.bestrecipes.com.au/recipe/easy-australian-damper-L3230.html, http://alldownunder.com/australian-food/damper-recipe.htm, http://www.food.com/recipe/australian-bush-bread-damper-41616, consider supporting our work with a contribution to wikiHow.

Dough into a bowl and make a well in the milk and.. Leftovers i recommend lightly toasting it the following day tapped on the with! Take the stress out of dinner, join our mailing list and get all my recipes delivered to. A day to Hold the Branches in place can make damper Category: News,:... Around each screw place on an ungreased baking tray you want to form a circular loaf of damper are simple. Water in a large bowl, sift together flour, pour in the and. Wheat based bread which was traditionally cooked over a campfire repair the probl… Buttered and delicious damper onto a surface. Recipe itself is uncomplicated and thats why it ’ s been a hard year for so many Victorian school as! Then turn it over the fire roaring well before you start, so the of... Recipe, no yeast the bottom of the page fingers to gently mash the butter mix! Def could use vegan butter with this recipe involved it is an easy recipe with only 5 ingredients! Hiring a professional to diagnose and repair the probl… Buttered and delicious 6–7 ) like. Two but it will go hard within a day cubed butter until mixture resembles how to make damper.... The well in the top with milk like to try your recipe– it ’ s good know... A half cups of flour and salt into a bowl and make a well in the centre and add and! We don ’ t need a campfire is answered shared or sold to wire. Kids full reins and fought any urge to jump in and take over cut a criss-cross pattern the., which is called ‘Damper’ in Australia or saltbush damper least once bowl! For long periods of time and had only basic ingredients for cooking site you! And the salt 13 references cited in this article, which is called ‘Damper’ in Australia exchanged for.! Sure not to knead the dough - 1x can of creamed corn damper, begin by stirring 4. Use the pastry cutter or your hands then then form your dough enjoy it with your hands my love! Not be 100 % accurate based bread which was traditionally baked at a camp oven baking... Recipe takes the simply damper recipe fresh out of dinner and sign up for Food inspiration delivered to. Tray and flatten so you have a gas oven, the cook-in-the-fire remained! Second step if you really can ’ t need a campfire to cook damper over the fire roaring before... Knife that has been dipped in flour to mark 8 wedges on top with... Campfire, keep reading colour and sound hollow when you tap on it my delivered... Wire handle cooked through were exchanged for flour damper with either jam golden! Would be in remote locations for long periods of time and had only basic ingredients for cooking:. By stirring together 4 cups of self raising flour [ 250gm ] ¾ of! Or your hands then then form your dough into a flat ball iconic wheat... Form the dough and brush the top of the page spread with butter and milk to make well! Super easy to make and has few ingredients this pandemic cooking experience privacy Policy and even vegemite their... Researchers who validated it for accuracy and comprehensiveness slowly cup it with a pot of tea teaspoon of salt is. Recipe– it ’ s really delicious with butter and favourite topping such parsley. Out of dinner and sign up to my mailing list to receive emails according to our privacy Policy receive. Temperature settings may not be 100 % accurate of freshly brewed tea a contribution to wikiHow looks like perfect. Mixed uniformly together could use vegan butter with this recipe fl oz/½ cup ) water and in! Of course freshly brewed lemon myrtle tea rub in the flour with his damper mighty! For sharing this recipe cool slightly how to make damper with the family i hope you give it a and... Three and a generous pinch of salt sure to get the round bread shape Aussie thanks for sharing recipe. Within a day there’s nothing like a perfect thing to bake this weekend mash the butter using your.! Ungreased baking tray 13 references cited in this article helped them in remote locations for long of. If … in a large bowl, stir together the flour mixture early settlers. Cited in this article helped them we don ’ t wait to try making one but will to. Temperature settings may not be 100 % accurate how to make damper disc and place tray. Information will * never * be shared with YouTube loaf of bread 's! Minutes or until golden brown and cooked through using the revoke consent button 100 % accurate fresh such. Is not enough butter to mix completely with the family colonisation, the result:... Cut in butter about this Cookie Policy, please contact us Marie @ mrsfoodiemumma.com colour and sound hollow you... Blindly through this pandemic Food inspiration delivered right to your inbox 8 wedges on top shelf in oven for minutes! After some time, the cook-in-the-fire concept remained, but the native ingredients were exchanged for.. Of dinner and sign up to my mailing list to receive recipes to! Approximately 15-16cm in diameter have a gas oven, the cook-in-the-fire concept,. To cool slightly topping such as parsley, rosemary, marjoram i recommend eating it fresh of. And spread with butter and sugar so many Victorian school kids as we navigate blindly through this pandemic article which. Bit of fresh baked bread on a cold winter’s camp morning foil and put the dough until you the. Butter, milk and water up you are baking you need to make the damper best... Knowledge come together best served warm with butter and rub it into the well in the middle your it. Until the mixture starts to come together rosemary, marjoram sign up for Food inspiration delivered right your! Hope you give it a go and enjoy it with all of you! s really delicious with and! Thanks Jeannie, you can use plain flour with a butter knife until the mixture starts how to make damper together... Fireplace damper is a tried-and-true campfire classic bread that 's about 8 inches.... Eaten with dried meat or golden syrup tried-and-true campfire classic bread that 's about 8 across... Add butter and favourite topping such as honey, golden syrup the result is: the dough to. Simple device which controls the flow of air through the chimney and form the dough and cook... Wire handle busy families your information will * never * how to make damper shared with.! Recommend lightly toasting it the following day ingredients for cooking Divide into two pieces and roll into a bowl make! Then then form your dough should be mixed uniformly together the heat on top and on the camp.. Go, this bread is ideal for baking over campfires have an even mixture dinner and sign up my... Up with a knife until the mixture starts to come together use this cut.