Mar 3, 2020 - Explore Mary Cruz's board "Southern style collard greens" on Pinterest. Tear or slice leaves into bite-size pieces. Let’s Talk Meats: Smoked meat is the best meat for southern greens! Southern Collard Greens Recipe- Soul Food – Divas Can Cook. I make greens a lot, and these are among some of the best I’ve tasted. Collard greens are a type of a thick, slightly bitter, edible leafy green vegetable commonly used in U.S. Southern cooking and in many parts of Africa (known as sukuma wiki in Tanzania and Kenya). Add the chicken broth, collard greens, turkey wings, tomatoes, vinegar, sugar, seasoned salt and pepper and bring to a simmer. https://divascancook.com/how-to-cook-southern-cabbage-recipesoul-food southern-style collard greens with smoked turkey. Perfect for Thanksgiving or any day of the week. It is really your choice when making this recipe your own. 2. 2 lbs greens (mustard, turnip, collard, kale, or mixture) 1. You can also replace the ham hock in this recipe with smoked turkey easily. 1. This recipe cooks collard greens in a flavored broth made of smoked pork neck bones, onion, and spices. November 1, 2020 admin bef, recipes 0. This Southern Collard Greens Recipe is simmered with smoked turkey wings, green and red peppers, onions, garlic, white vinegar, red pepper flakes make this dish so tasty. 6 cloves garlic, minced. When ready to cook, thaw at room temperature, and cook as usual. Although grown year round, collards’ peak season is the first quarter of the year, so the time is now. I didn't enjoy eating collard greens as a kid. I found these at Wegmans and they came 4 per pack. 2 smoked turkey wings – I like to use turkey meat in my greens but if you can’t find smoked turkey wings specifically, you can use necks, turkey tails, salt pork or ham-hocks. https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/235931/southern-style-collard-greens Clean the greens by rinsing them well. Authentic Southern Style Collard Greens slow-cooked with smoky ham hocks, onions, garlic, vinegar, and hot sauce. Please adjust accordingly for 3qt and 8qt models. You will follow the same steps in the recipe and just replace the meat with smoked turkey wings instead. Ingredients; 4 batches of fresh collard greens (about 3 - 4 lbs) 3 tablespoons of olive oil; Two medium smoked turkey wings, ham hocks or pork shank Prepare greens by washing thoroughly and removing stems. They are also traditionally enjoyed as part of the Southern New Year’s Day good-luck dinner, along with other traditional dishes such as black-eyed peas and hoppin’ John. Boil the smoked turkey wings in a large stock pot with 1 gallon of water for 20 minutes at medium heat. To make this dish vegetarian, use vegetable broth and adjust the pressure cook time to 25 minutes. Once, greens have cooled, drain the greens well. 2 cups chicken stock. Print Recipe Pin Recipe Rate Recipe. I used the bacon grease, but not the bacon and I substituted the ham hocks for a smoked turkey wing. They had a wonderful smokey flavor to greens. Place all ingredients except greens into large saucepan and bring to a boil. Remove the stems and chop or tear the greens. 3 lbs collard greens; 1.5 lbs smoked turkey (necks or wing) 1 tbsp salt; 1 tsp white sugar; 1 tbsp hot sauce (preferably Tabasco or Texas Pete’s) Directions. Alternatively, smoked turkey legs or wings are often used to season Southern greens. While your greens are soaking, be sure to cook your smoked turkey wings ( if you want to use ham hocks, smoked neck bones, or even salt pork feel free to do so!) Prep Time: 5 minutes. Collard Greens With Smoked Turkey. Once the smoked meat has been cooking for about 45-50 minutes, you’ll start adding all your other ingredients such as … Try this homestyle side dish with your favorite home-cooked meal! Although uniquely tolerant of both cold and hot climates, collards (and kale) actually benefit from frost, which causes them to produce sweeter leaves. 1 1/2 tablespoons vegetable oil. https://www.soulfoodandsoutherncooking.com/collard-greens-recipe.html This recipe was prepared in a 6qt Instant Pot. The recipe was super simple too. So start off by rinsing your smoked turkey tails with cold water. These authentic Southern Mustard Greens Recipe with Smoked Turkey are slowly braised in a savory smoked turkey flavored pot liquor with a kick of spice until it becomes the soul food meal dreams are made of. Tutorial on making a traditional pot of southern style braised collard greens with smoked pork or turkey. This Is The Best Recipe Ever!!!! Nov 18, 2018 - Southern Style Collard Greens With Smoked Turkey Wings. Cuisine: Soul Food. Collard greens are a southern style recipe with amazing smoke flavor. 4-5 cups of chicken broth – full sodium is fine, but low-sodium is better. Total Time: 3 hours 5 minutes. Salt and pepper. The worse part of this Southern Collard Greens recipe… 5. Southern Style Collard Greens with Smoked Turkey. Calories: 130 kcal. Southern-style collard greens usually accompany various meat specialties, although they can also be eaten on their own, and are often served with cornbread or cornbread muffins, pepper vinegar, and sliced tomatoes. Smoked turkey is healthier. Servings: 8 people. 1 smoked turkey wing. 5 pounds collard greens, cleaned and stems removed. So traditional Southern greens have some type of meat such as smoked turkey necks, legs, tails and of course ham hocks. 0 Comments. 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper. Add greens to turkey stock. See more ideas about cooking recipes, recipes, food. 2 white onions, diced. 4. We are using smoked turkey tails in this recipe but you can use whatever you prefer, you just want a meaty cut of smoke meat. Home ; The Pantry; Cookbooks; Press & Contact; How to Make a Pot of Southern Greens Tuesday, December 22, 2015. The name “collard” itself is derived from the word “colewort” or the wild cabbage plant. I also added about a teaspoon more of the brown sugar. Different from the texture of my Creamed Spinach or Collard Greens, these are a must try. Cook 20 to 30 minutes until tender. Add the collard greens to the pot and let them cook down for 10 to 15 minutes. This recipe calls for a large ham hock or two small hocks, but a meaty ham bone, 6 to 8 strips of bacon, or about 1/4 pound of salt pork can be substituted. ! When the oil begins to smoke, add the onions, garlic and red bell peppers and saute, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are soft and beginning to brown, 5 to 7 minutes. Course: Side Dish. 3. Grate’s Great Collard Greens (Easy Southern Collard Greens with Smoked Turkey) Ingredients. 4 pounds cut up Collards Green 4 smoke Turkey Tails 1 Large chopped Onion 2 clove mashed Garlic 1/2 Chopped Celery 1 Med Hot Green Pepper Salt And Pepper 6 cup Chicken broth Place Turkey Tails and the 6 cups chicken broth and 2 cups of water in stock pot adding onion, garlic and celery and salt and pepper to taste.Cover pot cook over med heat 1 hour. I boil these ingredients in water for a purer pork flavor, but you can also use chicken stock if you prefer. Growing up my family made these Southern Style Collard Greens fairly often, especially in the summer and the fall when the garden was producing loads of fresh vegetables. I use smoked turkey wings, drums, or necks. You may need to add more salt if … Cook Time: 3 hours. No one will complain about not having enough meat in this dish. https://www.southyourmouth.com/2013/11/southern-style-collard-greens.html Pack into a freezer safe ziplock bag and freeze until ready to use. Southern collard greens are typically cooked with some smoked pork. INGREDIENTS. It has dark green leaves with tougher stems and are part of the same group as kale, turnips, and mustard. https://beyondgumbo.com/.../01/southern-mustard-greens-and-smoked-turkey To make the broth, you can also use salt pork, smoked ham hocks, or smoked turkey (necks, wings, or legs). l Will Show You How To Prepare The Best Tasting Collard Greens Ever With The Most Tender Falling Off The Bone Smoked Turkey Wings!! https://www.saveur.com/.../Recipes/Collard-Greens-with-Smoked-Turkey-Wings Pages. I Will Show You How To Prepare The Best Tasting Smoked Turkey Collard Greens Ever With The Ultimate […] Southern Collard Greens Recipe w/ Smoked Turkey Legs (soul food style) 1/4 cup cider vinegar Southern Style Collard Greens With Smoked Turkey Wings This Is The Best Southern Style Collard Greens With Smoked Turkey Wings Recipe Ever!!!! Smoked turkey (wings, necks, backs) ... Southern collard greens with smoked turkey simmered slowly with onions, garlic, red pepper, & vinegar leaving a delicious pot liquor . Nov 7, 2016 – So, instead of using Glory canned greens, we use fresh greens and cook them ourselves. Notes on Southern Style Pressure Cooker Collard Greens.