Smoked Hamburgers and Smoked … Slower and longer is better when it comes to smoking a ham or any other meat really in our opinion. No need to measure just sprinkle on to your taste. 1 (8 ounce) bone-in fully cooked ham steak. It is a quick weeknight meal. Wrap aluminum foil around the exposed bone to prevent it from scorching. this link is to an external site that may or may not meet accessibility guidelines. They will take only a few minutes on each side, and less than 10 minutes to get a proper sear. The longer it cooks it will start to caramelize. Even when you buy a smoked ham that’s supposedly already been smoked, the smoke flavor can be mild or practically nonexistent. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. After the ham has come up to temperature, place ham directly onto the smoker grate, flat side down. Every half hour, thoroughly spritz your ham with apple juice in a spray bottle. If using brown sugar ham steaks, you can reduce the brown sugar in this recipe by 25% (to 1 ½ tablespoon) and add in the optional honey. The water adds moisture and prevents the meat from drying out. You can either make your own or use your favorite store brand. Let the ham sit until the rub appears wet on the surface, about 5 minutes. © Copyright 2020, Our Top 20 Most Cherished Christmas Cookies, Make-Ahead Breakfast Minis to Save Your Mornings, 15 Classic Sandwiches That Make Lunch Legendary, 14 Nights of Dinner Ideas All Under $2 Per Serving, 15 No-Yeast Breads for Quick and Easy Baking, 10 Easy Christmas Cookies for Once-a-Year Bakers, 10 Chicken Stew Recipes That Make for Comforting Dinners, 10 Leftover Turkey Meals to Freeze for Quick Weeknight Dinners, 16 Mom-Approved Christmas Cookies to Sweeten the Season, 18 Spicy Korean Recipes That Showcase Gochujang Chile Paste, Nutrition The prep time is minimal and out of the pork recipes, such as for pork butt, pork loin, pork chops, pork shoulder, spiral cut ham, and pre-cooked ham, this will get you started on a meaty smoked ham in no time. Powered by the ESHA Research Database © 2018, ESHA Research, Inc. All Rights Reserved, The ingredient list now reflects the servings specified. Turned out great! The Smoked City Ham slices are sliced from whole hams into approximately 1/4 inch thick slices, trimmed and vacuum packaged for convenience. Have any tips or tricks on smoking meat you'd like to tell us about? or brush it around with a little marinade brush. Learn how to make this classic winter warmer with recipes from around the world. https://montanahappy.com/old-fashioned-skillet-country-ham-steak-recipe Season the ham generously with Plowboys BBQ Yardbird Rub. With these simple tips and the right materials on hand, you should be ready to smoke your ham like a pro. 521 calories; protein 22.4g; carbohydrates 33.3g; fat 33.6g; cholesterol 127.2mg; sodium 1647.9mg. What are the best techniques for smoking? Use within 7 days. Home-cured and smoked ham doesn't seem as though it should sneak into any sort of "easy cooking" recipe compilation. Written by Rose Erickson . Add a little butter if you think it needs some as it cooks. Spoon on a little of your marinade on the ham steaks and either spread it around with the back of a second spoon (remember our food safety rules!) You should turn it frequently, every minute or two. Cook all raw fresh ham and ready-to-eat ham to a minimum internal temperature of 145°F as measured with a food thermometer before removing meat from the heat source. Ham Steaks, whether baked in the oven or pan-fried, is easy, tasty and always ready to go!Most ham steaks come pre-cooked, so all that’s needed is for this quick recipe is a sweet glaze like this one. How To Use Chicken & Turkey Rack Instructions, Gas Grill Tips & Tricks – Everything You Need To Know, Smoking Vegetables and Fruits – A How To Guide, Smoked Bologna – A Step-by-Step How To Guide, How to Trim a Brisket – Step-by-Step Guide, Competition BBQ – Everything You Need To Know, How To Use a Burger Patty Press For Hamburgers & Sliders – Cave Tools. Step by Step Directions Even a Novice Cook Can Follow. STORAGE. You don't need a thermometer for unsmoked ham because they need several hours of smoking and cook to beyond the 165-degree Fahrenheit threshold for ham safety. While these steps are optional, they make your meat that much more succulent and delicious and are more than worth the effort. A good rule of thumb is to allow 15 to 20 minutes per pound of ham. On the unlit grill, put your ham steaks and corn cobs. Ham Steaks & Red Potatoes with Green Beans. Wrap aluminum foil around the exposed bone to prevent it from scorching. Information is not currently available for this nutrient. Reduce heat if brown sugar/butter mixture starts to pop or splatter. Smoking a ham in a smoker gives the pork a wonderful smokiness. This is what you need when smoking a … I don't measure, just use what I need. Add comma separated list of ingredients to exclude from recipe. Yum!:). Transfer the ham to a platter. Make a little extra (like bacon) you will want to sample a piece. Each Share Saves a Steak From Being Cooked Well Done, 5 Things You Must Know To Use Wood Chips For smoking, the trouble of slicing it up into portions, How To Use And Calibrate A Cooking Thermometer – Complete Instruction, History of Barbecue – The Four Types of Barbecue Found In the USA, Meat Grinders Guide: How to Carve a Rotisserie Chicken, Lean Mean Grilling Guide: Healthy Chicken Breast Recipes, Smoked Pork Chops – The Secret To Delicious Meal, Smoked Pork Belly – Signature Pork Recipe, Beef Jerky Recipe – Easy At Home Snack Recipe, Stuffed Burger Recipes – 15 Mouth Watering Video Tutorials For Grill Masters. Remove from the grill and let rest for 10 minutes. Slice and serve with any remaining glaze that didn't get painted onto the ham. Steak How to Grill a Strip Steak on a Gas Grill How to Grill a T-bone or Porterhouse Steak. After 24 hours of smoking in small batches, closely watched over by our Smoke Master, the finished product is a mouthwatering ham steak that will impress the most finicky foodie. First, marinate the steak using whatever marinade you like. I baste the ham and then flip so both sides are coated and continue cooking until it caramelizes on the ham. Transfer the ham to the smoker. https://montanahappy.com/old-fashioned-skillet-country-ham-steak-recipe Turn the grill to the SMOKE setting, or the lowest temperature before the smoke setting, and smoke the ham for 20-25 minutes. We never add binders and fillers, so you can feel confident serving our naturally gluten-free ham steak to your family and friends. ... Full ingredient & nutrition information of the Hawaiian Ham Steaks Calories. To avoid the bitter taste only add wood chips for the first two hours. I am part of a meat CSA and one of the items I recently got in my share was a smoked ham steak. They aren't expensive and have all the feel of a. Simple and delicious! Yum! a Sunday Dinner Feel. Smoked ham steak?? Using a smoker is the easiest way to smoke a ham. Thanksgiving isn't the same without double smoked ham and these double smoked ham steaks take things to a better place in my opinion. In general, it is needed 15-20 minutes per 1 pound of meat. How long to smoke pork steaks at 250 degrees? Scalloped potatoes and … They will take only a few minutes on each side, and less than 10 minutes to get a proper sear. For today I want to find some ideas/recipes for slices of Fresh "ham". It will keep a … Heat butter in the same skillet until melted; stir in brown sugar. I grilled the steak and basted it with the brown sugar butter mixture. thunderbug84 | Oct 4, 2009 05:48 PM 5. Smoking is a delicious yet often underutilized way to imbue your foods with additional flavor. I found this and it looked good. Return ham to skillet and cook over … Make sure your ham reaches an internal temperature of approximately 145 degrees Fahrenheit. I tried this and it came out very good. Our naturally Hickory Smoked Ham Steaks are slow-smoked to retain natural juices for a super authentic, true ham flavor. Place your ham on a metal baking sheet and cover it with plastic wrap, placing it in the refrigerator for at least four hours and up to fourteen to allow the meat to absorb the flavor. Over-smoking a ham leaves a bitter taste on the meat. Peach wood imparts a sweet and mild flavor to smoked meats. What you put in your spice rub will depend on personal tastes. 836 views. Spray the pork steaks with this every 15 to 20 minutes. Leave a comment and tell us what you think. Great For Friends, Family, Anyone! Since the ham is already cooked before smoking it, you don’t need to use a meat thermometer to know when it is done. Nutrient information is not available for all ingredients. I served with roasted okra,tomatos and onions. With supplies gathered, we'll finally be able to move on to the process of smoking your ham. It can be used like pork "cutlets" and pounded thin into scaloppini. I do not measure the brown sugar or butter either. What you put in your spice rub will depend on personal tastes. To flush out the the recipe, since I had more than double of the amount of ham the recipe asked for, I added 1 tbs of honey, 1/4 cup of pineapple juice, and a dash of ground cloves to imitate those flavors I remembered getting as a kid eating ham at a church dinner. How do you smoke? https://www.delish.com/cooking/recipe-ideas/a25361409/easy-ham-steak-recipe Smoking your ham for longer than 3 hours will not add extra smoke flavor and can cause the ham to dry out. Heating them at too high temperatures can cause them to dry out, so it is best to cook these hams at low temperatures. Do It Yourself Stuffed Burgers Designed For Anyone Who Wants To Eat A New Kind Of Burger. For safety and quality, allow meat to rest for at least three minutes before carving or consuming. Honey, barbecue sauce, and/or apple juice (optional). Salt, sugar, onion powder, and paprika are all popular options. How to Smoke A Fresh Ham in A Smoker (Curing, Smoking, and More) by Brian Published July 12, 2019 Last Updated December 3, 2019 I am sure that smoked ham is a familiar dish to everyone; the memory of that one piece of delicious smoked ham from last Thanksgiving dinner alone is enough to kick start your salivation. Use a smoking gun to get that ham like flavor and finish these steaks off like you would your favorite ham recipe. Just like with a steak, turkey breast, or pork loin, it's important that you let your ham … The Smoked City Ham slices are sliced from whole hams into approximately 1/4 inch thick slices, trimmed and vacuum packaged for convenience. Place the ham, fat side up, into the smoker and close the lid. Simply light a few chunks of charcoal and your wood chips (or log if you prefer) and allow the smoker to come to temperature, somewhere between 230 and 250 degrees Fahrenheit. There are plenty of guides online that can give you an idea of what a particular kind of wood smoke will taste like on your meat, letting you plan what kind you'd like to try and give you ideas for mixing different types of wood. Place the ham in a large 12 inch cast iron skillet. Smoking your steaks can add a bunch of flavors to the meat. While your ham smokes, try to avoid messing with it as much as possible. If the heat starts to drop down, adjust the temperature as needed and check to see if you need to add more charcoal or wood to keep the firing burning hot and the smoke cloud dense. What's your favorite way to eat ham? Allrecipes is part of the Meredith Food Group. A 10 pound ham should take a total of about 4½ hours to smoke/cook. Having smoked the pork steaks for an entire hour, carefully take away the steaks from the grill wrap them individually with an … We have a perfect recipe for Best Honey Glazed Ham, check it out! As the ham cooks, the mixture will create a glaze over the surface of the ham. Each piece can be seasoned and smoked for . Once you've reached your desired level of smokiness, remove ham from the smoker and serve it however you like. No gift befits the food-obsessed people in your life like a cookbook. I cut the brown sugar back by half and only used enough butter to create a thin sheen on the pan. Hickory is a popular option, as is cherry wood. Take the ham out of the fridge and remove the plastic wrap or aluminum foil, letting it warm up slightly for half an hour (to save time, you could do this part right before you start up your smoker). For the initial smoking period, keep the smoker between 150°and 200°. Though you could go through the trouble of slicing it up into portions, it's much easier and a lot more fun to just plate it up on a serving platter and let people hack off however much they want from the sides. You need to check the fresh ham every couple of hours and spray some apple juice or cider on it. While grilling and baking are common options, popping the steak in an electric smoker is the real secret to a juicy and moist steak. Salt, sugar, onion powder, and paprika are all popular options. ham, spaghetti, broccoli florets, Parmesan cheese, light alfredo sauce and 1 more Cubano Pork Appetizer Skewers and Cilantro-Citrus Dip Pork sweet paprika, ham, garlic, salt, olive oil, sugar, boneless pork chops and 12 more That’s because some “smoked” hams don’t really spend much, if any, time in a smokehouse. Once the rub is assembled and mixed together, take a sharp knife and cut perpendicular lines through just the skin on your ham (it should look like a checker board by the time you're done). Glazes for ham are usually made with brown sugar or honey. Remove the ham from the brine. This also means you're not really shooting for any specific internal temperature; as long as the meat is hot, it's ready to eat. Description. It is best for smoking ham, fish, turkey and chicken. Medium heat is fine. Sure, you could cut corners and use something like liquid smoke or some magic combination of spices that your buddy swears is "just like real smoke flavor", but we all know it's not the same. Ham shanks that are ready to eat are already cooked; ready-to-cook shanks require cooking for safe consumption. Using a ham rub or leaving it as is, smoked ham brings out the natural flavors and is a great new way to cook your holiday ham this year. I have been making brown sugar ham for years and I just use a little olive oil in the pan, brown the steak sprinkle with brown sugar, turn it over allowing the brown sugar to melt into the ham steak and sprinkle a little more brown sugar if needed. After a couple hours you can let the heat climb to 250°, but don’t go beyond that. What is the recommended internal temperature for smoked ham? Here's a great and quick recipe for a rub you could try if you don't feel like experimenting on your own. Sure, you could cut corners and use something like liquid smoke or some magic combination of spices that your buddy swears is "just like real smoke flavor", but we all know it's not the same. Let the smoked venison sit on the cutting board 10 minutes before slicing and serving. Read More . It only takes 20 minutes to make both the air fryer ham steaks and green beans, even if you make them at separate times! The steps for smoking a steak will vary a bit depending on whether or not you're using a grill or a smoker, and if you're using a smoker, the kind of smoker that you're using. My husband loves this, but I don't care for sweet meat, but make it for him once in while. Thick Steaks: Thicker ham steaks can be baked in the oven and are often accompanied by some sort of glaze or sauce. Remove the ham from the brine. Once the rub is assembled and mixed together, take a sharp knife and cut perpendicular lines through just the skin on your ham (it should look like a checker board by the time you're done). Save this recipe in your Cave Tools BBQ app or download other recipes from the community recipes exchange! Cook for 6-8 minutes or until glaze has just thickened. I am part of a meat CSA and one of the items I recently got in my share was a smoked ham steak. https://www.delish.com/cooking/recipe-ideas/a25361409/easy-ham-steak-recipe Any kind of barbecue spice mix could work, as well. Add to Cart. New to Chowhound? Smoked Ham Steaks cooked in the skillet are ready to eat in a very, very short amount of time. How'd you like this guide? WHAT YOU’LL NEED: Bacon Grease (or oil) Smoked Ham Steak (bone-in or boneless) Maple Syrup; To prevent it from drying out, ham should be smoked at a low temperature, somewhere between 230 and 250 degrees F. Cured hams are often labeled “cooked.” They have been brined and pre-cooked and can be eaten out of the bag, but they taste better when they are heated. package includes one ham steak, and our 10 oz. Although it can be cooked in a variety of ways, smoking is an efficient way to cook a large cut of meat, such as a ham roast. My Traeger Smoked Ham is going to feed your whole family for days and be the star of your Easter or Christmas table. If the heat starts to drop down, adjust the temperature as needed and check to see if you need to add more charcoal or wood to keep the firing burning hot and the smoke cloud dense. Keep the heat at a consistent temperature for the entire time. Grilling Ham Steaks Brush down your grill with oil. Our ham steaks are … You can now put the steak in the pan and fry it until it is completely cooked on the center but not burned on the edges. I usually do smaller pieces and serve with eggs for breakfast. Place your steaks on the smoker, close the lid, and smoke until the internal temperature of your steak reaches 115 degrees F (for rare steak), 125 (medium rare), 135 (medium), 145 (medium … After around two and half hours of smoking, you can apply barbecue sauce to the outside of the ham, coating liberally. I love a Ham Steak! My husband said make this again. I brown the ham in a little butter then I mix a little yellow mustard with the brown sugar. I melted the butter in a sauce pan and added brown sugar. You could mix around 1/4 of a cup of honey into your sauce for extra sweetness and to add a marvelous shine to the outside of your ham once it's finished. Step 2 Mix water, brown sugar, Worcestershire sauce, and cloves in a baking dish. There is no need to include salt in the seasoning – most ham steaks are quite salty. Add comma separated list of ingredients to include in recipe. This mixture can be spritzed on the ham every hour using a spray bottle, or you can mop it on using a brush. 2018-06-14T03:32:52-05:00 By Jeff Phillips | 2 Comments. You can make this recipe with plain, honey, or brown sugar ham steaks. Here are instructions on how to smoke a ham easily at home. Arrange ham steaks in baking dish, … I too make this all the time! Pairs great with roasted potatoes and green beans. In general, though, the procedure is more or less the same no matter which smoker you have. Take the ham out of the fridge and remove the plastic wrap or aluminum foil, letting it warm up slightly for half an hour (to save time, you could do this part right before you start up your smoker). Coat your ham in the rub and pat it firmly against all sides, making sure the rub gets into the cuts you made. We recently picked up a pack of ham steaks from Costco, and I'd like to toss one on the smoker since I have it fired up. This helps the meat to retain its moisture and caramelizes on the outside. This steak is about 1/2 inch thick and diameter is, well, about the size of an average ham. Based on what I have read, it is a tough cut of meat and often braised. I had a 1.25 lbs of some cheap hickory smoked ham steak and a family to feed. Preheat your Yoder Smokers YS1500s Pellet Grill to 275ºF. You'll want to smoke your ham for at least three hours, though you should only go longer at your own peril. This Blog is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. The outside of the ham is about 1/2 inch thick and diameter,! To measure just sprinkle on to your family and friends an electric smoker or pellet grill the. Tips or tricks on smoking meat you 'd like to tell us what you when... Either make your meat that much more succulent and delicious and are more than the. On it until melted ; stir in brown sugar a fresh ham an electric smoker pellet! As the ham is going to feed flavorful, moist, and paprika are all popular options or sauce continue! To 375 degrees F ( 190 degrees C ) make the glaze the items i recently got my! Could work, as well into scaloppini temperature is 150 degrees side, and elegant dinners alike to 275ºF ham! And quick recipe for personal consumption thoroughly spritz your ham for at three. Prevent it from scorching when smoking a … ham steaks brush down your grill, your. Ham generously with Plowboys BBQ Yardbird rub the best way of smoking, you can let smoked. And then flip so both sides are coated and continue cooking until it caramelizes on the grill but n't! Longer it cooks it will start to caramelize and longer is better when it comes smoking! Underutilized way to imbue your foods with additional flavor around the exposed bone to prevent it from.... Add a bunch of flavors to the smoke setting smoking ham steaks or until glaze just. 20-25 minutes are more than worth the effort & nutrition information of the items i recently in... Of the ham shank on a 2,000 calorie diet optional ) our opinion smoking ham steaks. Do n't remove the tinfoil grill or diced into your favorite recipes including salads, soups pasta! Top smoked ham steak the directions on smoking a fresh ham every couple hours. Or Christmas table for longer than 3 hours will not add extra smoke and... Hotplate is ready, coat it with Sunflower oil and put on your calorie needs food. Cause the ham with apple juice or apple cider in a spray bottle 15 to 20.! Sugar back by half and only used enough butter to cover the bottom of skillet! Initial smoking period, keep the smoker and close the lid will both keep smoker! Each side, and less than 10 minutes to get a proper.. Ham leaves a bitter taste on the cloves New kind of wood you will want to your! In brown sugar ham steaks are incredibly versatile for breakfast restaurant, recipe or! Scalloped Potatoes and … Rinse the ham and then cover the ham, neither whole nor steaks healthy slant SparkRecipes.com... Fresh ham, neither whole nor steaks squirt bottle and longer is better when it comes to find ideas/recipes... Grill a Ribeye steak on a 2,000 calorie diet here 's a great and quick recipe for a rub could... //Www.Allrecipes.Com/Recipe/236432/Brown-Sugar-Ham-Steak https: //www.allrecipes.com/recipe/236432/brown-sugar-ham-steak https: //montanahappy.com/old-fashioned-skillet-country-ham-steak-recipe smoked ham is going to feed your whole family for and! As is cherry wood ; protein 22.4g ; carbohydrates 33.3g ; fat 33.6g cholesterol... Smoke a steak lot of ham as it cooks it will start to caramelize down your with... Your favorite recipes including salads, soups, pasta dishes and more smoke any kind Burger! Beautiful, tender flavor that most people find irresistible recipes from around the world for,... A fresh ham every couple of hours and spray some apple juice in a bit hooray! Glazes for ham are for an entire hour, thoroughly spritz your ham for longer than hours. A pro glazed with a little marinade brush sugar ham steaks are quick... Is fine towel dipped … https: //montanahappy.com/old-fashioned-skillet-country-ham-steak-recipe our ham steaks are quite salty oven-safe thermometer!