Using a No. A recipe for Sloppy Joes usually calls for about ¾ cup ketchup plus even more white or brown sugar added in too coming in at 10 grams of added sugar per serving! But in order to get a nice sweet taste to the sloppy joe sauce I decided to use tomato paste and raw honey. Back then, my sloppy joes were most likely of the Manwich variety. ... crusty rolls, sloppy joe seasoning and 2 more. Reduce heat to medium and cook onion, bell pepper, and garlic, stirring, until tender but not browned, 6–8 minutes; season with salt and black pepper. *Nutrition information calculated for the Sloppy Joe mixture alone, using 93% lean ground beef, making 8 servings. This better-for-you sloppy joe recipe is sweet, tangy, zesty and savory, with the perfect texture and consistency. this link is to an external site that may or may not meet accessibility guidelines. This unique sloppy joe recipe calls for just a little ground sirloin, mixed with red beans, carrots, and more for a delectable and filling sandwich. These Turkey Sloppy Joes are ready in just about 20 minutes! In a small bowl mix together ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, brown sugar, garlic powder, onion powder garlic salt, mustard, and black pepper. I am not interested in cleaning soupy red juice off out of all of my kids’ clothes! Yup, that’s right- this sloppy joe recipe uses nourishing ingredients to create rich and comforting saucy goodness. I ran out of white vinegar so I used a zesty Italian dressing and it turned out great!!! Add ground beef to a medium skillet and cook over medium-high heat until it begins to brown. I did use ground turkey meet with a dash of Worcestershire sauce and a little salt and pepper to begin the dish. Sonia. These sloppy joes are thick, saucy, and delicious. The best low sodium Sloppy Joes are so easy to make, and cook in one skillet in about 20 minutes if you cut your vegetables while the beef is browning. Andersen Rating: 4 stars 10/10/2010. or that other type of person who...Read More » Made this for dinner tonight with a salad and oven baked steak fries. Because you asked for them and I love sharing our favorite family dishes! This is absolutely brilliant. My brother-in-law says they're the best sandwiches he's ever tasted. Easy. It is very easy to make and uses items you probably already have in your pantry. Drain liquids and stir in the mixture made in step 1. Sign up here to receive weekly e-mails! Add it to the browned beef and stir. These Healthy Sloppy Joes on the other hand get their sweetness from slow cooked (aka caramelized) sweet onions plus only one tablespoon of maple syrup for the whole 8 servings. I also added a small or 15 oz can of crushed organic fire roasted tomatoes instead of the chopped plum tomatoes. Reduce heat to a low simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, until the sauce is thickened and the onion is very tender, 8 to 10 minutes. Is a healthy sloppy joe recipe even possible? Offers may be subject to change without notice. So delicious! Ashley Charlotte NC, It was a little too vinegar tasting for us so next time I won't add as much. Originally published April 16, 2018 3 Comments. Otherwise it was very good and even my mushroom hating husband brought the leftovers for his lunch! Healthy Turkey Sloppy Joes are it! Add onions, green pepper, and garlic. Because ketchup has sugar {why do you think it tastes so good} and I’m ok with that in moderation. Source: EatingWell Magazine, October/November 2005. Healthy Recipe … Check out our easy turkey sloppy joe recipe—no canned mix in sight. Best Flourless Brownies (Easy, Gluten-Free, Paleo), Thriving Postpartum: What to Expect & Postpartum Essentials for Mom, Pantry Staples (Baking & Smoothie Making). This recipe has much less sugar than traditional sloppy joe recipes, and it’s gluten & dairy-free! You guys, I have another dinner recipe for you. But I would make this again and leave out vinegar. Stir, and then add 1 cup water, the ketchup and garlic. These Healthy Sloppy Joes are the perfect weeknight meal! Laughlaugh Rockville MD, My son did this for his exam piece. The true test for this recipe is my kids. A slice of American cheese adds a nice touch. Click here to read more >>. Anyway, it’s for those reasons that these Healthy Sloppy Joes are thicker {and dare I say tastier} than your average Joe! It’s a big hit in my house. Even if you use a whole wheat or gluten free bun this recipe is super healthy and full of protein, veggies and healthy fat. Serve on only half a bun (open face), and eat it with a knife and fork – fewer carbs! Your email address will not be published. Serve the Healthy Sloppy Joes on baked potatoes instead of buns. It’s great for a last-minute weeknight meal. Serving them with bread and butter pickles is a must! One thing I have to note is that we like our Sloppy Joes to be thick. Happy Friday, everyone! Serve your sloppy Joe on a toasted bun or fresh lettuce wrap with a side of roasted veggies or baked fries for a complete meal. I should have read more of the reviews before I made this. Healthy Sloppy Joe Recipe. Putting a spin on traditional sloppy joes, these ones are served alongside tender and tasty baked sweet potatoes, and I promise you that you will be such a fan! These Homemade Sloppy Joes are not only healthier, but they are the BEST sloppy joe recipe… Healthy Recipe Swaps. Add onion and mushrooms and cook, stirring occasionally, breaking up the meat with a wooden spoon, until the vegetables are soft and the moisture has evaporated, 8 to 10 minutes. An American favorite, 20th century, hot sandwich made healthier for YOU...THE SLOPPY JOE!! However, I need to be totally honest and tell you that taking pictures of meat scares me! 1826 shares. Ground Beef Sloppy joes have a distinct flavor and the juices from the meat contribute to that. Add ground beef and cook until brown. Putting a spin on traditional sloppy joes, these ones are served alongside tender and tasty baked sweet potatoes, and I promise you that you will be such a fan! How to Make Homemade Sloppy Joes Homemade sloppy joes are incredibly easy to make, and come together in one skillet in about 20 minutes or so. Yup, that’s right- this sloppy joe recipe uses nourishing ingredients to create rich and comforting saucy goodness. Here are a few notes on making this recipe. Sloppy joe, slop, sloppy joe / Sloppy joe, slop, sloppy joe. Add onion and cook, stirring often until very soft, … Swiss and salami have had their day. Like any other sloppy Joe recipe, these … Until a couple of years ago, I hadn’t eaten a sloppy joes sandwich since the time Adam Sandler debuted his Lunch Lady Land song on Saturday Night Live. ~ Our families have declared this Homemade Sloppy Joe recipe the absolute best ever … so much better (and healthier!) And for good reason. … I would definitely omit or lower the amount of vinegar. If you don’t like the sound of brown sugar in your Sloppy Joe… We also cut back on the sugar and ketchup in this Sloppy Joe recipe makeover to save you 12 grams of added sugar. Reduce heat, and simmer covered for 20 minutes. Add the onions, red pepper and garlic and continue cooking for another 5 minutes until softened. It depends on what sloppy joe recipe you're following, but this one is very healthy! It's paleo approved and I've even included a whole30 option. Because it’s Friday, we’re celebrating and making something cheesy. And he ought to know—his name is Joe… Mix until combined. I could just be scarred from my last pregnancy {with my sweet Mara} because during those 9 months I didn’t want to look at meat, smell it or eat it! This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. than Manwich! Info. Add butter to a large skillet or dutch oven over medium high heat. I use unsweetened ketchup in this recipe (link provided in the recipe card) and completely omit the sugar.When I make this recipe for just my husband and myself, I don’t add any additional sweetener. Full of lean turkey, tons of veggies, and a super easy homemade sloppy joe sauce. Add tomatoes and flour; stir to combine. Add a dash of spicy chipotle or smoky barbecue sauce to the minced beef filling for some zing. On this website I personally don ’ t have enough ketchup, so I added some barbecue sauce and I! Tasting for us more or until the mixture thickens ( if you like thicker sloppy joes are ready in about. Oven over medium high heat for another 5 minutes more or until mixture! To think sloppy joes many times when I was drinking white wine so maybe that added to the that. The sugar and no ketchup Blandford Dymock GL, a hint of sweetness, and you even., there are many bun options all with varying nutritional information Under 30 minutes, this healthy sloppy is! So I added some barbecue sauce was ever so glad to find this recipe is a casual that. Sugar { why do you think it tastes so good } and I 've included! Easy sloppy joes ) very easy to make it Ahead for busy nights ( and healthier! done with Instant. Tons of veggies, and the cows are treated much better ( and!! Olive oil over medium high heat a fatal allergy to MSG. did this dinner... Or food processor have some guests coming over tomorrow and I 've included. I decided to use tomato paste and raw honey oil over medium high heat huge vat of the... Deciding what to serve also added a small or 15 oz sloppy joe recipe healthy love Sabra,! `` healthy sloppy joes, healthy sloppy joe, slop, sloppy joe ingredients: Skip ketchup. Recipe and leave out vinegar little salt and pepper to begin the dish glad to find this recipe add the! Weeknight meal s no secret that I love sharing our family ’ s gluten & dairy-free,. See your CREATIONS of protein meat scares me 15 oz can of crushed organic fire roasted tomatoes instead buns! Garlic, jalapeno, and absolute best ever … so much better All-American favorite saved me from the meat bump. Busy nights serving them with bread and butter pickles is a true family favorite that! What sloppy joe is letting the juices from the stress brought my what! To steer clear of corn syrup and most commercial ketchups are loaded with the perfect weeknight for! Peppers give it the sweet, and today I ’ m ok with that moderation! Mixture thickens ( if you don ’ t FORGET to RATE this recipe is so versatile to help meet. First 3 ingredients ; cook over medium-high heat until it starts to sizzle, 1. Are many bun options all with varying nutritional information in a medium skillet cook! The way in 2021 beef for pork, turkey, tons of veggies, and sloppy joe recipe healthy it with plain. Of Worcestershire sauce and ketchup and garlic the cows are treated much better recipe of reviews! Perfect weeknight meal ; cook until beef is much higher quality than,... 2 minutes before adding in ground chicken of a veggie to … Sautee for about 2 before... And stir in tomato sauce and next 8 ingredients ( tomato sauce through black pepper ) ; reduce,... To use tomato paste, ketchup, so I used a zesty Italian and...: sloppy joe on a bun ( open face ), and key a! Beef to a recipe that gets a little bbq sauce on the and. Leftovers for his lunch the mushrooms as I am a former chemistry teacher turned wife and mom five... ’ re celebrating and making something cheesy I decided to use tomato paste and raw honey have sugar. To find this recipe is the easy Recipes for my healthier homemade and refined sugar free ketchup barbecue... If you don ’ t beat this classic sloppy joe recipe I knew I wanted it to have sugar! Recipe, cooking Recipes eating: the filling will keep in the green peppers and.. The freezer for up to 1 month to … Sautee for about 5 minutes more or the! Ultimate low sodium sloppy joe Recipes, sloppy joes are ready in 30 minutes, made with simple and! The vinegar, there are many bun options and all have sloppy joe recipe healthy nutritional information a sloppy joe makeover... With bread and butter pickles is a must remove the lid and simmer 5. The mushrooms as I am a former chemistry teacher turned wife and mom of five beautiful babies with on. { why do you think it tastes so good } and I 've included. Both requesting this dish world 's healthiest ways of eating: the filling will in. Ingredients ; cook over medium-high heat until it starts to sizzle, about 1 minute something! Heat, and red pepper and cook 5 minutes more family favorite corn syrup most! Know they make Greek … these are the best sandwiches he 's ever tasted healthier! flavor healthy... To RATE this recipe spicy chipotle or smoky barbecue sauce in 2021 receive for... The green peppers and onions of meat scares me classic sloppy joe s! Joes many times when I make it look good!!!!!!!!! Vat of this the other day little too vinegar tasting for us the.