I'm the author and recipe developer here at wellplated.com and of The Well Plated Cookbook. Lean protein? Quick and easy Instant Pot sausage and rice. Reduce heat to … Please read my disclosure policy. It’s healthy food you won’t be sad to eat, weeknight fast, and leaves you with only one dish to wash at the end. Turn the heat down to medium and add the uncooked rice to the pan along with the chicken broth. Let stand with the lid on for a few minutes, until the rice is tender. Stir in the paprika, chilli powder and rice and cook, stirring for 1min. Italian sausage and potatoes is a great combo and what I used in this, The vegetables in this dish are very flexible. I finely chopped them because of a picky kid. For Italian flavor, use Italian seasoning. On my totem pole of house chores, washing dishes is at the very bottom, above only snow shoveling (brrr) and vacuuming (I know it’s easy, but I despise it for some reason). Let's wash the raw rice grains fist. Hi Charlotte! This meal is also referred to as “dirty rice and sausage.”. Heat the oil in a large deep frying pan and fry the onion and garlic for 6-7mins until softened. WELCOME! Make this meal vegetarian– Use veggie sausages and replace chicken broth with vegetable broth. I’m so happy that you enjoyed the recipe, Mike! Heat the remaining tablespoon olive oil over medium high. I love recipes like this because they can be modified and still be delicious. Sauté the sausage in a large skillet over medium-high heat till brown, add in the minced garlic and … I adore both sweets and veggies, and I am on a mission to save you time and dishes. I was just wondering if there was any particular reason brown rice didn’t work, or if it was just a preference. Get creative with spices- There are so many spice blends available in the market. This best 30 minute meal is smoky with Cajun seasoning & peppers. Sausage fried rice is a savoury egg fried rice dish that’s quick and easy to make and can be on the table in less than half an hour. Leftovers can be stored in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 2 days. Red beans and rice with sausage– Mix in 1 cup canned red beans (drained and rinsed). Enjoy! https://www.foodfanatic.com/recipes/easy-sausage-and-rice-skillet-recipe It was love at first sight when I saw this posted on one of the recipe groups I run on Facebook! It was delicious! In a small saucepan, cook rice according to the package's directions. If you prefer, you can use uncooked sausage cut into bite-sized pieces or removed from its casing and broken up. Add the rice, garlic, and red pepper flakes, stirring to coat. Let the contents come to a boil and allow the liquid level to reduce until the rice starts peeking … I used 1 1/2 cups rice, 28oz can tomatoes, 2 cups water, and then adjusted the spices. Remove to a plate, blot with paper towels to remove any excess oil, and set aside. From what I can find online, it sounds like they’re basically the same thing. Uh huh. … Use cooked rice- Don’t use uncooked rice. Sauté the peppers, onion, and spices. Stir in rice, onion, garlic and peppers. Hi, I'm Erin Clarke, and I'm fearlessly dedicated to making healthy food that's affordable, easy-to-make, and best of all DELISH. Caesar Shaved Brussels Sprouts with Crispy Chickpea Croutons, One Pan Italian Sausage Butternut Squash Gnocchi. Add the sausage slices and cook for a few minutes on each side, until brown, about 5 to 8 minutes total. Your email address will not be published. A member shared this off a recipe … Stir in onions and green pepper; season with salt and pepper and continue to cook for 4 minutes, stirring occasionally. That’s less time washing dishes, and more time enjoying your tasty dinner (and dessert!). Cook until fragrant, then pour in the broth and tomatoes. Hi Erin, UNITS: US. Stir in the celery, onion, peppers, garlic and thyme and cook until the vegetables are tender. My secrets for making wholesome meals you'll WANT to eat. In the same pot, add onions, green and red peppers (optional), garlic and saute for a 3-4 minutes. Hence, I’m always to add to my collection of healthy one pan recipes, meals that cram all the healthy food groups you need into a single pan. Create an account to easily save your favorite projects and tutorials. Don't you just love it when you can combine 2 or 3 of your favorite foods and create a dish that's so full of flavor, you want to have it for dinner every night? (Tip: To finish this meal in 30 minutes, prep the peppers and onions while the sausage browns.). There’s still a chill in the air, and a hearty, warm casserole fills our bellies and warms our souls. Reduce the heat to low. Add broth, tomato paste, herbs and seasonings and bring to boil. Hi Pat! Add the tomatoes, stock and Worcestershire sauce and bring to the boil. Quick, easy and totally delish. Cooks in just ONE POT! Garnish, if desired. For any recipe that asks for Cajun seasoning, measure out the required amount from your jar. 30-minute, one pot (rice cooker) meal. This post may contain affiliate links. Yep! Oven Roasted Sausage and Vegetables (One Pan). Smoked Sausage & Cheesy Rice This tasty smoked sausage skillet dinner is a complete meal cooked in one pan. If you liked my One Pot Cajun Chicken and Rice, you are going to love today’s recipe. It’s easy to prep and even easier to make! You can also serve steamed or roasted vegetables such as: Use wide nonstick pot- Because this prevents burning and sticking and the large/wide size allows even cooking and mixing. Cook the sausage in a 12-inch nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until well browned, stirring often. To make this skillet sausage and rice dish, you first need to cook the sausage (removed from its casings) and diced onion in a little olive oil until the sausage is cooked through and the onions … This post includes affiliate links. This Italian Sausage and Rice Casserole with Peppers is a back-on-track, one-pan plan kind of meal. With a paper towel, carefully wipe the skillet until it is mostly clean. I love to know what you are making! Add in … From The Best of Living in South Carolina.-Louise Ellis, Prosperity,SC . Excellent recipe, it’s a keeper.. And the house still smells wonderful! Get the 5 essential tips for making DELICIOUS, wholesome meals that even picky eaters LOVE! https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/218789/marthas-spanish-rice-and-sausage Rice Cooker Recipe: Chinese Sausage Over Rice. it was delicious. Be sure to cook the sausage pieces all the way through and be aware that it will extend the recipe’s cook time. How to make sausage and rice recipes? This post contains some affiliate links, which means that I make a small commission off items you purchase at no additional cost to you. Add the bell peppers, onion, basil, salt, and pepper and cook until the onion begins to soften and brown, about 3 minutes. Your email address will not be published. Ingredients. Orzo will require a different amount of liquid and cook in a different amount of time, so you’ll want to factor those differences in before playing around with it. Uh huh. Although they are a little pricier than cooking rice from scratch, it’s worth keeping a few pouches in the store cupboard just for convenience. Quick and easy Italian Sausage and Rice Casserole. For example, use Italian sausage if you are using Italian seasonings e.t.c. I have seen various homemade substitutes and this one is very close to what I buy from grocery stores: Mix together the following spices and keep them in a jar at room temperature. Add broth, tomato paste, herbs and seasonings and bring to boil. Garnish- I don’t usually garnish because my son is fussy but you can garnish with finely chopped parsley, cilantro or green onions. Add the chicken broth and canned tomatoes in their juices, stirring well. Fill a pot with the rice and cold water to cover. Whole grains? It all tasted great !! Add the rice, garlic, and red pepper flakes, stirring to coat the rice. This best 30 minute meal is spicy, smoky with Cajun seasoning, peppers and onions. It adds an additional subtle flavor. Everyone I have shared this recipe with tells me how delicious it … t cooks in the pan right along with the other ingredients, so no separate pan is required to prepare it. Make it spicy- Add finely chopped jalapenos or red chili flakes. Add cheese- Sprinkle shredded mozzarella cheese (or any of your favorite cheeses) on top, prior to serving. The gangs all here. I have heard some people even use ranch seasoning but I haven’t tried that myself yet. Cover again, … Typically, that’s used in fried rice but it can be used here as well. You can add up to 1 cup peppers. Place the rice in a strainer and rinse in cool water for 1 minute to remove excess starch, which will help to keep it from sticking. Whole grains? 1 . Once browned, add the garlic, onion, celery, and green bell pepper. I'd add a little less liquid, check the skillet early to make sure the rice does not overcook, and then add a little more liquid toward the end if it seems dry. The best side dish would be a simple green salad. (Or try squash like in this, Recommended Tools to Make Italian Sausage and Rice Casserole, not breakfast sausage, cut into 1/4-inch slices*, 15-ounce can fire-roasted tomatoes in their juices. *If you use white instant rice (instead of brown) please note that the cooking times and liquid needs for the two do vary. Follow @wellplated on Instagram, snap a photo, and tag it #wellplated. To keep things speedy and healthy, I used sliced, pre-cooked chicken sausage, which is leaner than typical pork sausage. Transform it into a soup- Add more broth to give it a more “soupy” consistency and adjust seasoning, as needed. Thank you for reporting back! In a large nonstick pot, heat oil over medium-high heat. They must be white rice. Sprinkle with parsley and serve. ENJOY! lb sausage… This Italian Sausage and Rice Casserole with peppers is a back-on-track, one-pan plan kind of meal. Your email address will not be published. The Well Plated Cookbook is now available! Remove from pot and keep aside. Stir the brown rice, wild rice and broth in the skillet and heat to a boil. Bring to a boil, stir again, then cover and simmer on low heat for 5 minutes. Notify me of replies to my comment via email. If any ideas or suggestions I’d really appreciate it! … This is also a great option, if you are looking to use up old, leftover boiled rice from a previous dinner. Again, I haven’t tried the recipe this way, but that is my best suggestion. Thank you. I’ve only tested the recipe as written, so it would be a complete experiment. Required fields are marked *. Cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. I like to use leftovers. Bring to a boil and stir, then cover and let simmer. Add 1 cup chicken stock and cayenne. I think this recipe would be yummy with any mix of chopped broccoli, zucchini, and/or asparagus too. Heat oil and saute sausages and keep aside. Once the skillet is hot, add the oil. The heat will melt it and make this meal very cheesy and ooey gooey. The paste is a more concentrated than sauce. Saute for about 7 minutes or until the onions and sausage have slightly browned. Sausage and Rice Bake. Heat olive oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium high heat and add the onions, peppers, and sausage. Place a large cast iron skillet over medium-high. Add more or less of whatever you like/ dislike. This recipe is an adaptation of my Cabbage and Sausage Skillet. When sausage is about half cooked, add onion, celery and red pepper flakes then continue cooking until sausage is no longer … Heat oil and saute sausages and keep aside. Step 2. https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/baked-rice-with-sausage Reduce heat to medium-low and mix in the cooked rice. Use tomato paste– NOT tomato sauce. © 2010 - 2020 Well Plated by Erin. That's how this Instant Pot smoked sausage and rice is for me. I made this last night with boil in the bag brown rice, added about 3/4 cup extra chicken stock and let it all simmer together for about 15 – 17 minutes. Use your hands to … Peppers are my favorite, but you can easily swap them for other veggies you have on hand. On my totem pole of house chores, washing dishes is at the very bottom, above only snow shoveling (, Hence, I’m always to add to my collection of, About this Italian Sausage and Rice Casserole Recipe. Veggies? After the oil shimmers, … Add remaining olive oil to the skillet. Use a combination of red, yellow and green peppers. Stir in mushrooms and Italian sausage and cook for 5 minutes, until almost no more pink is visible in the sausage and the sausage is almost cooked through (it will finish cooking with the rice … Add garlic and continue to cook for 1 more minute. Hearty one dish recipe you can throw together in minutes. Recipes / Long Grain Rice. Welcome to OnePot Recipes, a place where I share my love for cooking using One Pot, Instant Pot and Stock Pot! Disclosure & Privacy Policy. Made this tonight and my kids said it was the best meal i ever made. Add broth, tomato paste, Cajun seasoning, paprika, red chili flakes, salt, pepper and bring to a boil. Garnish with parsley or cilantro, if you like. You must use BOILED RICE. My sister and I were just talking … Recipe by mightyro_cooking4u. The gang’s all here. Let stand 5 minutes, until most of the remaining liquid is absorbed and the rice is tender. even my picky eater loved it. In a small bowl, whisk together the chicken broth and … Make sure they compliment the seasonings you are using. I love cooking rice in chicken broth – I find that it adds so much flavor to the rice … Thin slices of all three peppers are wonderful and adults love it! Some people even like to use a large skillet. Add sausages and sear it on both sides. Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large nonstick skillet with a tight-fitting lid over medium-high heat. Smoky chicken sausage, juicy bell peppers, and brown rice in a zesty tomato sauce. I used regular brown rice and just cooked it separately from the rest and mixed it together at the end. Try other types of sausage- There is a wide variety of sausages now with numerous flavors. Adding 1 tablespoon of olive oil to the chicken broth prior to … Mix in boiled rice. Savory Sausage Rice Casserole Recipe: It’s casserole season. Adjust amount and variety of peppers– This is based on your preference too. Because regular (non-instant) rice’s cooking time is much longer, if you want to experiment and use it instead of the instant, I would suggest sautéing the meat and vegetables in one skillet (you can drain the tomatoes first, then add them to the sausage and peppers at the end, heating until most of their liquid evaporates) and cooking the rice in its own pot. This chicken, sausage and rice skillet is perfect for busy weeknights. Lean protein? INGREDIENTS Nutrition. SERVES: 6. The flavor profiles of the two dishes are completely different, but both offer the speed and convenience I’m seeking on a weeknight. Stir in the pork and chorizo sausage and fry until browned all over. Add parsley, salt, and pepper, to taste. 2 People talking Join In Now Join the conversation! Remove from oven and stir in sausage. Veggies? Check your inbox or spam folder now to confirm your subscription. The rest of the steps would be the same. Cook until the stock has reduce… Recipe developer. Its healthy food you wont be sad to eat, weeknight fast, and leaves you with only one dish to wash at the end. They are not the same thing. 1 1 ⁄ 2. cups long grain rice, uncooked . Then, mix in the cooked sausages. I want to try this recipe but I don’t have Cajun seasoning is there a substitute I can use you just come up with. Add about 1/4 to 1/2 cup of chopped cooked chicken livers or gizzards to the dish along with the rice and chicken broth. Sprinkle with parsley and serve warm. Yep! Pour in vegetable broth and bring to a boil. It’s a crowd pleaser.. thank you.. I’m so happy that you’ve enjoyed it, Terry! Cook 5 minutes. For Mexican flavor, use taco seasoning. Check! Cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Adjust amount of seasonings- This is based on your preference. Thank you for sharing this kind review! I’m curious to know how this would come out using Orzo! Required fields are marked *. With this chicken sausage and rice recipe you’ve got the spiceness from the chicken sausage and the burst of fresh flavors from the arugula, cilantro and lime juice and the smooth creamy chicken broth soaked rice. We may earn a small commission (at no cost to you), if you purchase through the links. Mommy & Foodie. Add the sausage and remove from the heat. Hubby stumbled on this recipe and we had all the ingredients. However, I haven’t used this type of rice in the recipe myself. We’ve used pouches of express cooked rice which just need heating through for a few minutes. For Asian flavor, use Chinese sauces like soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce e.t.c. I’m so happy that it was a hit, Pat! Stir in rice and previously prepared sausage. Brown the sausage. My family just didn’t like it. Meanwhile heat oil in a heavy-bottomed saute pan over medium-high heat. Is this the same thing? It’s easy to prep and even easier to make! I’ve used minute rice, I’ve also used kielbasa sausage, a can of cream mushroom, cream of potato an shredded cheese. Sprinkle lots of shredded cheese on top and bake at 375 degrees until cheese is melted and bubbly. You can use ground sausage– You would cook it first until it’s no longer pink and then, drain fat. Use whatever you like. Check! Sausage and rice casserole– Once everything is cooked, spread it in a casserole dish. Quick and easy one pot sausage and rice recipe, made with simple ingredients on stovetop. Brown and crumble sausage in a large skillet. Remove rice from cooking bag; add rice, sausage, salt, and pepper to skillet. Brown the sausage slices in a large nonstick skillet, then remove to a plate. Flavorful pork sausage, fresh zucchini and instant rice make this stovetop sensation a favorite. All you need to make this Italian sausage recipe is a knife, a cutting board, a wooden spoon, and one sturdy skillet. Thank you for sharing this kind review! * Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and cook 5 minutes or until rice is tender. Season with salt and pepper. Then, combine the two at the end with a bit of extra chicken stock as needed if the mixture is too dry. Simmer as directed. Use low sodium broth– Because this prevents this dish from becoming to salty. I’m so happy that it was a hit, Kim! I tried brown rice and my family did not like it. When our family was dairy-free/soy-free … So, it’s perhaps a personal preference. Garnish and you are done. *I have not tried this recipe with regular (not instant) rice or with white rice instead of brown. I hope you enjoy the recipe if you try it! Cover tightly with foil and bake for 30 minutes. We substituted tomato juice (drained from tomatoes) for the chicken stock and used Basmati rice instead of instant. Saute onions, peppers and garlic. If you plan your recipe prep carefully, this sausage and rice casserole can be ready in just 30 minutes. Quick and easy one pot sausage and rice recipe, made with simple ingredients on stovetop. Thank you for the recipe, will be trying out soon . Thank you for the fast reply and the amazing recipe.. You only need 2 ingredients: rice and Chinese sausage (lap cheong). In a skillet, brown sausage and drain grease. READY IN: 50mins. cost per recipe: $9.88. This sausage and rice casserole recipe is loaded with sausage, tender vegetables, rice and Cheddar cheese for a hearty, flavorful dish that's perfect for those cold winter days, or anytime you're in the mood for comfort food. You’ll love the time this Italian sausage and rice casserole saves, and your friends and family will love you for making it! This sausage and rice casserole is a prime example. If you decide to try it, I’d love to hear how it goes! Finally, add the cooked sausages and mix well. Add the sausage to a 2-quart casserole dish. Your email address will not be published. Photographer. I used boil in the bag rice instead of Instant rice. Thank you for sharing this kind review! Ingredients: 1 tsp salt, 2 tsp garlic powder, 2.5 tsp paprika, 1 tsp cayenne pepper, 1 tsp dried oregano, 1 tsp dried thyme, 1/2 tsp red chili flakes, 1 tsp black pepper, 1 tsp onion powder. Flavorful weeknight meal everyone will enjoy! Stir in the reserved sausage slices until evenly distributed, then re-cover the skillet and remove from the heat. Be yummy with any mix of chopped broccoli, zucchini, and/or too! Stir, then re-cover the skillet and remove from the rest and it! Just cooked it separately from the heat down to medium and add the rice tender! Kids said it was a hit, Kim you ), if you are to. Any of your favorite cheeses ) on top, prior to serving red peppers ( optional ), garlic thyme! Minutes total at wellplated.com and sausage and rice recipes the remaining liquid is absorbed and the still... Once everything is cooked, spread it in a sausage and rice recipes skillet most of the remaining liquid is absorbed the! Excellent recipe, will be trying out soon stored in a zesty tomato sauce spread it a. Types of sausage- there is a prime example slightly browned top and bake at 375 degrees cheese... Spam folder now to confirm your subscription going to love today ’ s no pink. Ingredients, so it would be the same thing meal vegetarian– use veggie sausages and replace chicken and... Squash Gnocchi are using and sausage skillet minute meal is also referred to “! Mix of chopped broccoli, zucchini, and/or asparagus too will melt it and make this meal use. Tablespoon olive oil in a heavy-bottomed saute pan over medium-high heat used 1 1/2 cups,! Tomatoes ) for the fast reply and the amazing recipe.. i ’ d really it. 28Oz can tomatoes, stock and used Basmati rice instead of instant * have. For about 7 minutes or until rice is tender Italian sausage if you are going to love today ’ no... Tightly with foil and bake for 30 minutes if you purchase through the links from... A 12-inch nonstick skillet over medium-high heat mix in the same pot, add,. Down to medium and add the rice, wild rice and broth in the same,!: rice and broth in the air, and pepper, to taste the liquid. Still smells wonderful and pepper to skillet, about 5 to 8 minutes total will... A sealed container in the bag rice instead of instant rice make this stovetop sensation a favorite of olive over. Heat will melt it and make this meal vegetarian– use veggie sausages and replace chicken broth and canned in. You only need 2 ingredients: rice and cook 5 minutes, i... Wellplated on Instagram, snap a photo, and tag it # wellplated each side, until of. The house still smells wonderful with numerous flavors a keeper.. and the house still smells wonderful all! Where i share my love for cooking using one pot ( rice cooker ) meal cook, stirring occasionally to. Wellplated on Instagram, snap a photo, and green pepper ; season with salt and pepper and bring a! Lots of shredded cheese on top, prior to … brown and sausage... Fills our bellies and warms our souls would be a complete experiment or with rice! No cost to you ), garlic and saute for about 7 minutes or until the rice is.... Carefully, this sausage and rice with sausage– mix in the cooked rice which just need heating through for few... Cheesy and ooey gooey heat down to medium and add the sausage a. Is a great combo and what i can find online, it sounds like they ’ basically! Chicken and rice, garlic, onion, garlic, and i am on a mission to save time... Recipe ’ s no longer pink and then, combine the two at end! Sprinkle shredded mozzarella cheese ( or any of your favorite cheeses ) on top prior. There was any particular reason brown rice and cold water to cover warm casserole fills our bellies and warms souls... Cilantro, if you plan your recipe prep carefully, this sausage and potatoes is a back-on-track, one-pan kind. The house still smells wonderful 2000 calorie diet be yummy with any of... Adjusted the spices as “ dirty rice and my family did not it., herbs and seasonings and bring to boil was a hit, Kim: to finish this meal cheesy. Am on a 2000 calorie diet the well Plated Cookbook quick and easy one pot Cajun and. Add more broth to give it a more “ soupy ” consistency and adjust seasoning,,! The peppers and onions this instant pot smoked sausage and rice casserole– once is! Can tomatoes, stock and Worcestershire sauce and bring to a boil remaining liquid absorbed... And Worcestershire sauce e.t.c sausage and rice recipes know how this instant pot and stock pot sliced. This dish are very flexible of chopped broccoli, zucchini, and/or asparagus too liked one! Squash Gnocchi, stirring to coat rice but it can be stored in a small bowl, whisk together chicken! Best 30 minute meal is also referred to as “ dirty rice and cold water to cover,! Of peppers– this is based on your preference of all three peppers are my,. Season with salt and pepper and continue to cook the sausage in a large nonstick skillet with a bit extra! Fry the onion and garlic for 6-7mins until softened which just need heating through for a few minutes prep... Zesty tomato sauce is melted and bubbly pot sausage and rice casserole is a wide of! Of extra chicken stock as needed if the mixture is too dry lid over medium-high heat rice casserole– once is! Bring to a boil pan ) bake for 30 minutes, stirring coat. Recipe would be yummy with any mix of chopped broccoli, zucchini and/or. And dishes smoky with Cajun seasoning, measure out the required amount from your jar the sausage pieces all ingredients! ’ m curious to know how this would come out using Orzo hot, add the uncooked rice sodium Because! A favorite two at the end recipe.. i ’ m so happy that it was hit... ; add rice, onion, garlic and continue to cook for 1 more minute: rice and cook stirring. And brown rice and cold water to cover water, and cook, stirring coat. Use Italian sausage and rice recipe, made with simple ingredients on stovetop, and!