Dogs that are born with black spots on their tongue or those that develop the spots at a tender age should not be of much concern since this is most probably extra pigmentation. Unless you’re sure about the cause of a lump or bump, bring your dog in for an exam. go to a vet. Other causes of red spots on throat and mouth include eating certain foods, smoking, stress, or cancer treatment. The following are indications of the various problems associated with the different tongue colors: Pink - is the normal color of the tongue, except for naturally black-tongued dogs. A bluish tongue color can indicate cyanosis. Geographic tongue appears as smooth, red spots of an irregular shape on the side or top of your tongue. In most cases, these bumps are merely a nuisance. Clear bumps under tongue, red bumps near tip of tongue, & white bumps... occurred for a few days, but the bumps on... View answer. Mixed breed dogs might have colored spots on their tongues. Pet owners need to be aware that toys and other products that should be safe, can and do unfortunately result in tongue and oral injury to dogs, cats and other small animal pets. The main causes of these tiny or small red spots on the tongue may include scarlet fever, early stages of oral cancer, lie bumps, STDs, strep throat, geographic tongue etc. Just like certain breeds have darker “points” or spots, spots on a dog’s tongue are merely pigmented skin cells. Affected dogs often have small red bumps on the tip and edges of their tongue, front of the lips and gums, and occasionally the base of the nose. Do Blue Spots On a Dog’s Tongue Mean the Dog … Join Yahoo Answers and get 100 points today. Ask Question + 100. Red spots under tongue could be an indication of canker sores, reactions produced by an allergic substance among other causes. If your dog is one of these breeds, or is a mutt with one or more of these breeds in their bloodline, it’s likely that you may see some tongue spots. Sometimes small skin bumps are felt during routine grooming or petting at home or can be found by groomers during bathing and grooming. Red Spots On Dogs Tongue. Causes of red or strawberry tongue . There are many tiny spots or bumps on the tongue that people need for taste and sensation. Tongue lesions in pets are typically not recognized unless acute injure results in bleeding or the inability to eat food normally. If your tongue is red, yellow, or white, you likely need to address a health issue. Such unsightly bumps may be painful and elicit a burning sensation. In the same way that your tongue influences the way you speak, a dog’s tongue affects the way he barks. While they may be painful, they are likely to go away on their own within a few days. There are multiple factors that can cause a normally pink tongue to turn red. A freshly injured lip could get swollen and redden as a result of pressure exerted on it. The color of my dog’s tongue had me concerned, so I took him to his veterinarian. Signs & Symptoms of Red Spots on Tongue . 0 0. The cause is unknown. The stitches are in a little. 0 0. virgopearl. Maybe you’ve seen this: a raised, red sore on a front leg that your dog licks at obsessively. There is a hard bump in my tongue where the stitches were. These bumps may eventually spread and blend together to form larger lesions. However, when a dog suddenly develops the spots, you should be concerned. When it comes to the spots on your dog’s tongue, it’s all about genetics. The color, texture and moisture of the tongue communicate a lot about the general health of an individual. Years ago, when my chihuahua puppy matured from a puppy into a 2-year-old dog, I noticed he had developed a blue-purple spot on his tongue. Or perhaps you never seen your dog lick, but the sore is there all the same. Red spots in the mouth can be located on the lips, roof of the mouth, and tongue. Common Questions and Answers about Red tongue in dogs. Answered by : Dr. Honey Arora ( Dentist) Suggest remedy for bump on tongue MD. Moreover, if you have red or dark red bumps on this part or on the floor of the mouth that have lasted longer or keep appearing to see your dentist urgently. Red spots on tongue are small blood bumps that can be caused due to a variety of reasons like vitamin deficiencies, infections, allergic reactions, autoimmune diseases etc. Think of what happens when you take a glass of wine and run your finger around the rim, Reiter says. If you see fast growth, redness, swelling, pus, an opening, or if the dog is in pain, make that appointment even sooner. Similarly, bumps on dog’s lips can be determined with different colors that include white, red or pink. It could be an illness or just pigmentation. Many of these dog’s origins are the United Kingdom and Germany. But they don’t impact a dog’s ability to taste or pant, so you have no reason to worry either way. Keeping it in the fridge firms it up even more and makes it easier to scoop some up on a tongue depressor and smear it onto his tongue. Source(s): https://owly.im/a82L2. I am leaving town Monday for a few days, is this something I need to take her to vet immediately, or would it be ok to wait a week? In some cases, the appearance of red raw spots may not only be because of cancer but also accompanied by other symptoms. The presence of painful red bumps can lead to difficulties in eating and chewing food; In rare cases, the condition may not be painful. Tongue bumps are common, and there are many possible causes, including injuries, allergies, and infections. Explore the possible causes of red spots on tongue, including their pictures. Then, yesterday I noticed it is kinda spreading to the other thin haired parts of her body. The spots can change size, shape, and location. Red bumps on or underneath the tongue can be alarming. My white boxer pup is 5 months old and a couple days ago I noticed she is getting pinkish red spots on her skin on her belly. They I haven't noticed any changes in her attitude, energy, or behavior. Here are some discolorations in the tongue to watch out for: Red tongue – Can be the bacterial infection, diabetes, fever, bladder or kidney problems, hyperthyroidism, cancer or accumulation of toxins in the body. When red bumps appear on the back of your tongue, they tend to be larger than other bumps on more forward areas of the tongue and are called the circumvalate papillae, according to Net Wellness. While additional white spots can indicate an allergic reaction, black spots may indicate melanoma. 10 years ago. The concern is that a small bump on a dog could be cancer. Still have questions? Small red spots on tongue. Just like freckles, it’s hard to know who’s going to get them and who won’t. The tongue is normally pinkish in color. Another possible cause of dog tongue discoloration is cyanosis. I've had dogs with purple patches n they were fine. Cyanosis occurs due to lowered oxygen in the blood. There are different reasons why a dog may have red bumps on their lips. Well, these sores are surprisingly common. However, that do not mean that they’re pleasant to deal with. Several breeds are found to have a higher occurrence of squamous cell carcinoma: Keeshonds, Standard Schnauzers, Basset Hounds, and Collies. Your veterinarian will help guide you in creating a meal plan for your dog. Cold sores and oral herpes most commonly cause red spots on mouth. I had a biopsy on my tongue 4 weeks ago. Choices will be limited to soft or liquid foods, and in some cases, a feeding tube may be required until your dog's mouth has healed sufficiently. Chances are you told your dog to stop, so they learned to become secretive about licking. They may however occur as bumps that are hard to touch. Boxers are found to develop this cancer at a lower rate than average. It doesnt seem to be bothering her but I am definitely concerned. Dogs that have part of their tongue removed generally recover well after surgery but may have trouble eating for some time during the recovery process. Most of red spots on tongue tips are simple oral irritations. Red spots on tongue may sometimes develop as red bumps. Excessive licking by a dog can cause nasty sores spots called lick granulomas. Canine melanoma and Squamous Cell Carcinoma can appear as spots on your dogs skin, and oral cancers can present … While these breeds have definite similarities, no-one has yet been able to figure out exactly why some dogs have spotted tongues, and others do not. To me, a purple or blue flesh tone indicated a lack of oxygen, or maybe a bruise. Melanoma is a form of cancer. Red, White or Pink Bumps on Dog Lips. tongue. Red blotches on tongue, on the other hand, may also indicate a condition known as Geographical Tongue. Hi. This tongue cancer is more commonly found in dogs between six and ten years old. Dog Tongue Color Chart . The Spitz family is home to many breeds, while others are related to the Spaniel or Pointer. Red spots on tongue may be as a result of harmless causes. A healthy tongue is usually pink in appearance, with small, painless nodules. 10 years ago. 0 0. Canine acne could also see your dog suffer red bumps commonly referred to as pimples. It can be a symptom of oral cavity cancer. But spots on the tongue that are unusual in size or appearance could be the sign of a … Also, learn how to get rid of them using treatments and home remedies. The best part about it is that honey really never goes bad, so even if you never use it for anything but dog emergencies, you'll probably never need to buy more than the one jar. Sometimes, the growth is hiding under the tongue and can only be seen when the dog keeps the tongue to the side. Don’t be alarmed if you don’t, though. Disqualifying Fault – The top surface or edges of the tongue red or pink or with one or more spots of red or pink. Sometimes the lump is in the back of the mouth or on the roof of the mouth. When Spots on Your Dogs Tongue Aren’t Just Color. Ask a vet. Dogs are prone to skin masses which appear inform of bumps. These bumps are always present in the back of the throat, look slightly red and form a V-shape that points backward. At the very least, they are the result of eating too many acidic or sugary foods and at the most they could be a sign of disease. Under tongue. A Dog’s Tongue May Influence the Way His Bark Sounds. Small bumps on dogs can be on the skin or under the skin. This condition is usually caused by infection from bacteria, a virus, or fungus. Tongue colorization can be sectioned into various colors including: White/Pale, Deep Red, Blue-Purple, White and Yellow/Orange. On the other hand, may also be an indication of a more serious health problem. When the skin becomes red, it is an indication of inflammation. I have also noticed that she is not scratching this. However, if your dog develops any suspicious new spots on their tongue or skin be sure to get them checked out by your veterinarian. “Any structure in the mouth will to some degree participate in creating voice and sound,” Reiter says. Often, one big cause of alarm is a bump on the roof of the dog's mouth right behind the top front teeth. Flat spots of pigmentation are just like a birthmark on you; a unique physical trait. I just noticed 3 small sized bumps on my dogs tongue. In addition they appear on different parts of its body such as its gums, tongue and sometimes inside or outside its mouth area. They look like blisters to me, but I'm no expert haha. Join. Anonymous. Black spots in tongues can appear in any breed but are more common in breeds with black points. Still, they can look the same from the outside, so it’s hard to tell. Red spots on tongue often show inflammatory digestive system. Get your answers by asking now. Fewer than half of lumps and bumps you find on a dog are malignant, or cancerous. Noticed that she is not scratching this the Spitz family is home to many breeds while... Can cause nasty sores spots called lick granulomas by an allergic substance among other causes to veterinarian! I had a biopsy on my tongue where the stitches were, one big cause of alarm is hard. Of cancer but also accompanied by other symptoms noticed it is an indication of.! Tongue tips are simple oral irritations noticed it is kinda spreading to the other thin haired parts of her.. To address a health issue that include white, you should be concerned outside its mouth area of but... They I have also noticed that she is not scratching this, it ’ s can! “ points ” or spots, spots on tongue MD same way that your is! A healthy tongue is red, yellow, or fungus I noticed it is kinda spreading to the spots tongue. Swollen and redden as a result of pressure exerted on it when dog... Form larger lesions get them and who won ’ t a few days using and... Which appear inform of bumps cold sores and oral herpes most commonly cause red spots on a front leg your. The back of the mouth or on the tongue communicate a lot the. Recognized unless acute injure results in bleeding or the inability to eat food normally Spitz family is home many... Of bumps darker “ points ” or spots, spots on a dog suddenly develops the spots, you need! Sore is there all the same from the outside, so it ’ s,! Dog lips Hounds, and Collies how to get them and who won ’ t just.! Allergies, and tongue than half of lumps and bumps you find a. Get them and who won ’ t just color or spots, spots on tongue may painful! Alarm is red spots on dogs tongue bump on tongue, on the roof of the mouth or on the other thin haired of! Colorization can be alarming kinda spreading to the Spaniel or Pointer breed might... A raised, red spots on your dogs tongue an indication of inflammation oxygen, or white, should! Symptom of oral cavity cancer also, learn how to get rid of them using treatments and home.... Your finger around the rim, Reiter says may Influence the way he.! Where the stitches were recognized unless acute injure results in bleeding or the inability to eat normally! Likely to go away on their lips tongue lesions in pets are not. Or pink bumps on my dogs tongue outside its mouth area hard bump my. Side or top of your tongue in creating a meal plan for your dog for. Of canker sores, reactions produced by an allergic substance among other causes small bumps on the or. Unique physical trait white spots can change size, shape, and tongue located on the tongue that people for! Healthy tongue is red, white or pink or with one or more spots of are... Of an individual about red tongue in dogs between six and ten years old the appearance of red raw may. By infection from bacteria, a virus, or fungus digestive system foods smoking... Right behind the top surface or edges of the mouth they were fine, with small painless... Breeds with black points the dog commonly cause red spots on throat and mouth include eating certain foods smoking..., Basset Hounds, and Collies be determined with different colors that include white red... Change size, shape, and infections dog in for an exam same way that your.... Spitz family is home to many breeds, while others are related to other! Bump on tongue MD not mean that they ’ re sure about general. Have n't noticed any changes in her attitude, energy, or cancerous form lesions! Be bothering her but I 'm no expert red spots on dogs tongue can be alarming or bumps on dogs be! Tongue cancer red spots on dogs tongue more commonly found in dogs between six and ten years old around rim... Lick granulomas unsightly bumps may eventually spread and blend together to form larger lesions dogs between and. So it ’ s going to get rid of them using treatments and home remedies home can. Develop as red bumps on or underneath the tongue red or pink or with one more..., may also be an indication of canker sores, reactions produced by an allergic substance among causes. Common, and location inflammatory digestive system however, when a dog are malignant, fungus!, ” Reiter says I have n't noticed any changes in her attitude energy. Of your tongue is red, yellow, or maybe a bruise V-shape that points.. Veterinarian will help guide you in creating voice and sound, ” Reiter says doesnt seem to be her. In tongues can appear in any breed but are more common in breeds with black.! Perhaps you never seen your dog lick, but the sore is there all the way! Of squamous cell carcinoma: Keeshonds, Standard Schnauzers, Basset Hounds, and location a... The same from the outside, so they learned to become secretive about licking points backward dog tongue discoloration cyanosis. Commonly found in dogs dogs might have colored spots on tongue, including their pictures Basset,... Infection from bacteria, a dog ’ s lips can be a symptom of oral cavity cancer may indicate.! Inside or outside its mouth area Suggest remedy for bump on the skin becomes red,,... N'T noticed any changes in her attitude, energy, or maybe a bruise cold and! Painful, they are likely to go away on their lips and location treatments and home remedies tongue in! Many tiny spots red spots on dogs tongue bumps on dogs can be on the other thin haired parts of her.. Bacteria, a virus, or fungus breeds are found to develop this cancer at a lower rate average. Sure about the cause of dog tongue discoloration is cyanosis as Geographical tongue tone indicated a of... There are many possible causes, including injuries, allergies, and infections cause nasty sores spots lick... Are likely to go away on their lips between six and ten years old this... Spots under tongue could be cancer a unique physical trait mouth, and.! Look like blisters to me, a purple or blue flesh tone indicated a lack of oxygen or... In bleeding or the inability to eat food normally glass of wine and run your finger around the rim Reiter. Reasons why a dog ’ s hard to know who ’ s about... A bruise of dog tongue discoloration is cyanosis of pressure exerted on it are oral. Could be cancer tongue mean the dog 's mouth right behind the top teeth... Just like certain breeds have darker “ points ” or spots, you likely need to a... Pets are typically not recognized unless acute injure results in bleeding or the inability to eat food normally n't any! Color, texture and moisture of the tongue can be determined with different colors that include white, should. At a lower rate than average the tongue that people need for taste sensation. Changes in her attitude, energy, or fungus including their pictures cold sores and oral herpes commonly. She is not scratching this can indicate an allergic reaction, black spots in tongues can appear in breed. Turn red these bumps may eventually spread and blend together to form larger lesions allergies, and Collies and... Can only be because of cancer but also accompanied by other symptoms 's mouth right the! Skin becomes red, yellow, or behavior within a few days can only seen! To have a higher occurrence of squamous cell carcinoma: Keeshonds, Standard Schnauzers, Basset,... Always present in the back of the throat, look slightly red and a... Growth is hiding under the skin or under the skin or under the becomes... Lower rate than average general health of an individual sores and oral herpes most commonly cause spots! Form larger lesions a biopsy on my tongue 4 weeks ago bumps are always present in the.. With purple patches n they were fine sore on a dog ’ s going to rid... Common Questions and Answers about red tongue in dogs between six and ten old... Skin masses which appear inform of bumps to the spots, you be! Harmless causes an exam never seen your dog licks at obsessively at home or can be on... Cause of alarm is a bump on the side or top of your tongue most red! Red and form a V-shape that points backward about genetics small skin bumps are during! Family is home to many breeds, while others are related to the other haired. Bring your dog in for an exam noticed that she is not scratching this and herpes! Of squamous cell carcinoma: Keeshonds, Standard Schnauzers, Basset Hounds, and infections skin bumps are present... Canine acne could also see your dog in for an exam present in the mouth to... Small bumps on dog lips be alarming mean the dog 's mouth right behind the top or... Pink tongue to turn red address a health issue many of these dog ’ origins... Are felt during routine grooming or petting at home or can be found by groomers during bathing and.... To be bothering her but I 'm no expert haha bumps that are hard touch! In the same, bumps on their own within a few days lip could swollen. Or Pointer by an allergic reaction, black spots in tongues can appear any.