Here’s a perfect example of that. First let me say I love your blog….great info and pics. Sloan named it chalk paint because of its matte finish. Plus, a few of my favorite chalk painted furniture makeovers too! So today I’m sharing the 5 top ways to seal Chalk Paint (plus pros and cons of each)! All Rights Reserved. And remember, there are cons with any product you may decide to use. Just wondering. The Pros and Cons of Using Chalk Paint on Woodwork. There are several ways to combat that….thinning it out with water, sanding it between coats, using a roller to apply or using a paint sprayer. xoxo, Hi Nancy, what did you think about the Polyvine sealer. :) xo. It’s a thick paint that you can use at full strength, or water down to your liking. Sanded between coats. Hi Nancy. I am going to take your advise on using a top cop instead of waxing. Sloan named it chalk paint because of its matte finish. We spent around 30 hours just find the pros and cons of chalk paint for you and based on the complete research we have selected that Creative Haven Fantasy Designs Coloring Book (Creative Haven Coloring Books) is the suitable for you. ;) xo, I laughed out loud when I read that you have a collection of waxes. I ended up having to strip layers of paint (cracked everywhere!) Well, unless you are using it outside, then you can leave it unsealed. :) xoxo. Now, that doesn’t mean you won’t come across a new post here with a chalk painted dresser that’s waxed, because you probably will. Some More Chalk Paint Pros Include:-Dries quickly-May not require sanding-Can be thinned for extended application-Chalk paints are more flexible-Finished surfaces look richer and more elegant-Easily applied using a sprayer-Great colors for vintage paint jobs-Very forgiving of … mtndogmedia; June 12, 2017; Painting 101 ; Add Reply; If you love the sleek shiny look of gloss paint so much that you want to paint it all over the exterior of your home, there are a few things that you should know before you even lie down your drop cloth. One of the most challenging parts of any painting project is the prep work. This would’ve been much more difficult to achieve with latex or other style paints. This is especially true for painting decks, as moisture can soak into the wood from underneath. There are Pros and Cons to both, Pros and Cons To Sanding Before or After You Wax. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this blog’s author and/or owner is strictly prohibited. To get the durable finish that chalk paint is popular for, it requires a protective topcoat. If you don’t plan on sanding you must clean your kitchen cabinetry and I recommend TSP (found at paint stores like Benjamin Moore and Sherwin Williams) for removing the grease. Just getting started with chalk paint and the only place I can work on projects is my basement. Thanks so much! Okay, let’s get to the nitty-gritty of the pros and cons of chalk paint, or any chalk style paint. I would never suggest using wax in a kitchen setting. I want to paint over my painted cabinets, will chalk paint work, and have you had any problems with wear; like around the drawer pulls? Hi Nancy, Blending 2 or more shades together to create variations, ombre or other designs. Although there are a few extra steps, once chalk paint has had time to cure, it creates a very durable finish. But first, let’s take a look at one of my favorites…, Surprise, surprise! So keep an eye on those areas. I plan on selling pieces, so is using wax out? But most times it sort of rolls off, or peels off, instead of looking like it was smoothly sanded off or worn away naturally. We spent around 30 hours just find the pros and cons of chalk paint for you and based on the complete research we have selected that Creative Haven Fantasy Designs Coloring Book (Creative Haven Coloring Books) is the suitable for you. This is our NEW coffee bar dresser, you can read all about it, here >>> Aqua Dresser Coffee Bar. Less preparation is required; Chalk paint dries very quickly Pros and cons of chalk paint, one of course dont necessarily need to heart blog post about chalk paint here are stunningly beautiful mess rh pinterest com painting. As far as your question goes, unfortunately, no, you can’t. If you want a low-maintenance solution, then glossy paint is the better option. Chalk paint does not come in attractive designers … But overall, yes, in most cases, chalk paint is pretty user-friendly in that it really does require little prep. You are so very welcome. ©2012-2020 Artsy Chicks Rule® is a registered trademark. Time for a pretty furniture makeover break. Other bloggers have taken aim at answering this question about the pros and cons of each paint, but everybody has a unique perspective, so I thought it would be helpful to offer mine as well. CHALK PAINT PROS: Chalk paint dries quickly. Pros and Cons of Gloss Paint. PROS and CONS of Cha Sign up to get the Weekly Newsletter! Waxing is a 2-part process that requires you to apply the wax with a brush and then clean and buff it to wipe away any excess wax. Years back I worked for a paint company and used techniques for good prep then.. Answered. Which one will be more durable, and give you the look you want? Pros and Cons of Chalk Paint. Chalk paint was just starting to become popular, but we lived in a smaller city where it wasn’t available, and ordering online was still kind of a newer concept. Someday I hope to get a paint sprayer. Well, hmm, I do think it can. Chalk paint is made of Calcite (aka calcium carbonate), talc and pigment, it was developed by Annie Sloan in the early 1990's as a decorative furniture finish. When starting your paint project, you need to make sure you’re using the right finish for the job. And to keep its durable finish, chalk paint should be re-waxed every few years. The Pros and Cons of Using Chalk Paint on Woodwork. I hope you enjoyed this post today. And, no, it actually held up very well. The Rustoleum Chalked paint will work great on something like this. I’m a little confused on which top coat I should use between the two General Finishes. So there is a beauty in that. Very slick surfaces will still need a light sanding to give the chalk paint some grip. Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. As the weather grows colder, now is the time to plan which home improvement projects you’re going to tackle this winter. My favorite chalk paint is still Annie Sloan chalk paint, however, you just can’t beat the price of the Rust-Oleum (less than $18 for a quart) and it has lots of other good features too. You guys know I’m a chalk paint and chalk-style paint fan. Not unless you want to or are going for that look. Thank you! Nancy, these are great tips/reminders about chalk paint. Wax is relatively easy and quick to apply. Getting to know the pros and cons of painting wood can help you determine if painting is the best decision for your specific wants and needs. Both are water and mineral-based (mainly reliant on calcium carbonate) paints that emit no chemical odors and dry fast. :) (I actually wrote a post about the top 5 sealants for Chalk Paint here), Hi Nancy, Can u put polycrylic over chalk paint. Most things are fine at one coat. Typically goes further. Pros and Cons of Chalk Paint. And here is how I feel about the products I used. If painted over already sealed wood, tannins of the wood will not seep into the white paint, causing brownish stains. I’m new and chalk painting and looking for some good tips. ;) But I’d even have to agree, there are cons to using it. A small quantity of paint can be used on a lot of surface area. Here’s my opinion of how that decision worked out, six months later. It will stick really well to your stuff. Required fields are marked *. Anyhow my first attempt at chalk painting it ended in disaster. That’s just the nature of this paint. ...an east coast girl who loves to find and re-invent old treasures, decorate and design rooms without spending a fortune....but have it look as if you did! Another of my favorite chalk painted pieces…. I’m too lazy I guess! Chalk paints are ready to use after it is bought. Understanding what they are is the most important step to deciding which one will be your choice. Hi Christina! Chalk Paint Chalk Paint is sold in quarts and has a wide range of trendy, yet classic colors. Hi Nancy! I’m excited about this, just wanting to make sure I do it right. It also allows you to be more creative with dark waxes and creams. Stain vs. I could do a whole post on the pros and cons of waxing and this post is long enough already, so I’ll just leave it at that. I am going to start trying to use wax on frames and pieces that don’t get much use so I can get it gone. Apr 11, 2019 - Today I'm sharing all the pros and cons of chalk paint for furniture. The more sheen a paint has, the more light is reflected off of it. ;) I was thinking the midnight black. The 5 Top Ways To Seal Chalk Paint (or Milk Paint! First, lets go over the pros and cons and then I will share some of my recent projects. ;) But use some common sense along with it. There are some times when primer may be necessary (ie slippery IKEA furniture with a Teflon coating baked in….) That absolutely takes “prep” in the form of applying some sort of primer/sealer to seal in that red so it won’t bleed into your paint. My Aubusson Blue dresser. How sad is that? What Is Chalk Paint Made Of? A can also lasts a lot longer than other paints since you need less to cover the same area. . Which paint works best for your needs and the look you want to achieve? Some get to me and some don’t. I’ve had a long love affair with Chalk Paint. Happy thrifting and maybe I will run into you one day as I live in the same area. Your expertise would be greatly appreciated. I sanded and put about 3 coats of chalk paint the rust oleum over it. It is all the rage to use chalk paint, however for decades latex paint has been the go to paint. Share; Tweet; Pin; 17 shares. As the wax topcoat dries, it hardens and provides a finish that is resistant to scuffs and scratches. It’s become a favorite for vintage and shabby-chic makeovers, but the saturated colors go with almost any style. I also think a good enamel based paint like Emerald Urethane by Sherwin Williams is good too. Which I will say, is usually pretty good with chalk paint. One of those times and one that comes up often around here is when you are painting a reddish type of wood/stain. So today i m sharing the 5 top ways to seal chalk paint plus pros and cons of each. If you have a really slick finish, you need to prep before using chalk paint. Thank you for the sweet words! As I already mentioned above in the “pros” section, there are many ways to combat that. Some are rougher than others. Paint: The Pros and Cons of Each Finish. Rustoleum Chalk Paint Pros & Cons. As I already mentioned above, no, chalk paint is not always no prep. May 4, 2019 - https://amzn.to/2zB9idy https://amzn.to/2AR8tzo A quick tutorial explaining the difference between chalk paint and latex paint. So even though, as you’ll see below, brush marks are listed as a “con”, I don’t really consider it one. You can read more about it and the graphic I used on top, here >>> Coffee Bar Server, Drying time. All in all, if you want a nice finish for your next furniture DIY, chalk paint can be a great choice. Prep and primer. I bought a desk off of Craigslist a few months ago. Can leave brush marks. Apr 11, 2019 - Ever wondered about chalk paint?? I tried my hand at home-made way back but never stuck with it! Pro: It is something that entertains the kids but takes up almost no space. T he stuff is great.....IF you can afford it. To find out more about the process and what to expect, check out this guide from A Beautiful Mess. Waxing. Would u recommend chalk paint for kitchen where cabinetry doors opened and closed daily? Shine or no shine is a personal preference. Great review! I often paint inside because then I don’t have to deal with the elements. Also, at the end I will give you the access to my Paint Brand Info and Reviews! Nurture and convert more leads with creative email autoresponder messages, 7 Ideas That Will Make a Staycation Feel Like a Real Holiday, Buying a House in 2021: What Homebuyers Should Know, 7 Best End-of-Year Activities for Homeowners, 2021 Color Trends: Best Interior Design Colors for the New Year, New Year, New Homeowner: 10 Habits to Ditch in 2021, 7 Interior Design Trends to Look Forward to in 2021, Common Home Problems Buyers Should Look For, Database Strategies to Grow Your Real Estate Business. The finish is incredibly durable. xo. Most people won’t know this either. I needed this brush up. Keep in mind that the more poly coats you put on, the more risk of a little bit of yellowing (mostly where the excess has gathered in crevices, etc. Sanding, pros and cons. I've also used Annie Sloan chalk paint and Miss Mustard Seed's milk paint. It was the coffee bar before I created the newest one I have now. It is somewhat labor intensive and who has time for that? Best wishes. Below is a picture I took of paint chips from a fan deck I have. You can read all about that and this desk, here >>> Secretary Desk Makeover With Chalk Paint. No thanks. PROS. PROS of Chalk Paint (and chalk style paints). First, let’s talk about what I mean by paint finish. Here are the pros and cons of working with chalk paint to help you decide if it’s right for your project. How Many Real Estate Agents Are There in Canada? :). Compare the pros and cons of chalk paint as well as latex paint to decide which is right for you! Even so, I’ve created, and continue to create, some really great furniture makeovers using it. I love your idea of using it on small pieces to use it up though. Look, I’ve painted with just about anything and everything you can imagine and I can tell you, chalk paint and chalk style paints clean up easier! Stains and bleed through. Also if you would use chalk paint there, would u recommend poly urethane or something to seal the finish? Your information will *never* be shared or sold to a 3rd party. You will hear people complain about this being an issue with any type of chalk paint, but it really is a non-issue. Ever wondered about chalk paint?? My Chalk Painted Cabinets 4 Years Later How Did They Do . And to your question about wax, I occasionally will use wax but mostly on something like a mirror frame, picture frame, small item etc, not furniture. Hey friends! Best chalk paint 2021 isn't an easy choice. Paint Types – Pros & Cons Marian Parsons June 17, 2013 Furniture Makeovers , Hand Painted Furniture , Miscellaneus , Painting & Refinishing , Tutorials Leave a Comment I decided it was time to update some of my “painting posts”, sharing the products and techniques I use now vs. a few year ago. None of those are strong at all. There are many ways around it. It was also easier to purchase online and have it delivered. There are quite a few pros and cons of chalk paint, but the cons are really not ones that can’t be overcome. The quick initial dry time is definitely a pro as it helps keep messes to a minimum. Spills and drips wipe up easily, and if you get it somewhere you don’t want it, you can just wipe it off. Annie Sloan Chalk Paint: The Pros & Cons Posted on January 18, 2013 by Julie I’ve had a lot of questions and comments about Annie Sloan Chalk Paint, so I thought I’d take a few minutes to explain the pros and the cons of ASCP in a short post (well, kind of a short post). Pros & Cons of Paint Finishes. Cons: It’s messy. Good luck and have fun with it! Chalk paint not only goes on easily, it is also easily distressed. If your kitchen cabinets need eventual transforming, but you are short on cash right now, portray kitchen cabinet may be an inexpensive and straightforward resolution. Yes, chalk paint is pricey. An important decisive factor is the price segment, since the cost of alkyd materials is much lower than the price of acrylic coatings. I’m so glad I found this blog, it’s very helpful. I actually mentioned it (and linked it) in this post, you might have missed it. It dries very hard, and resists scratches and chips more than any latex finish. I've also used Annie Sloan chalk paint and Miss Mustard Seed's milk paint. There are few endeavors quite as satisfying as making something worn or outdated look new and beautiful again. (>>>this one is my favorite!) Pros and Cons of Annie Sloan Chalk Paint® The two biggest advantages of this paint are 1.) Hope that helps! If you’re looking to make an old piece look extra special, chalk paint offers rich colors and a silky matte finish. I do wish they had more colors though. Chalk paint and chalk style paint for the win here, for sure. Pin for later! That’s why chalk paint is invented to save all our unwanted expenses. Do you really think it won’t need some prep work? It distresses really well as if time had worn it down. ... ... A quick tutorial explaining the difference between chalk paint and latex paint. First, let’s talk about what I mean by paint finish. Your email address will not be published. You can actually find recipes on Pinterest to make your own milk paint. Typically, no preparation, primer, or sanding is needed. That’s awesome! Here you'll find the pros and cons of chalk paint for furniture so you can make an informed choice for your next makeover! You may come across other times when something that has soaked into the wood continues to rise to the surface through the chalk paint. Related Articles . I’m glad it will be helpful to you! Typically, no preparation, primer, or sanding is needed. Whichever type of paint you utilize, it is best to read the label, research, or ask experts. You have to sand, clean and prime most surfaces before you can even begin painting. In previous home we had dark cabinets. Reply. ;) ) If you are debating whether or not to use chalk paint or regular latex paint, here are some of the highlights of the pros and cons … Here you'll find the pros and cons of chalk paint for furniture so you can make an informed choice for your next makeover! I used my $35 Craigslist projector on this one! Yes to moving it outside! There’s the High Performance flat top coat, than there’s Flat out Flat top coat, both by General Finishes, are they both basically the same? Spill it on something, it will come off. No biggie though, it’s easily remedied. (as long as you haven’t sealed it yet. The paint finish is the amount of sheen in the paint. […], Your email address will not be published. As far as how many coats, well it depends on what you are painting and the use it will get. 20 Responses to Annie Sloan Chalk Paint: The Pros & Cons. I’m sorry, I meant to put that in the post! Milk Paint vs. Chalk Paint. Here are my thoughts on oil-based paint for kitchen cabinets: Pros: It’s easy to brush or spray, and with paint conditioner added, brush strokes disappear. READ : Grey Kitchen Ideas. It’s not magic. I am by no means an expert, but I have used it enough to form some opinions of my own. Most people buying furniture will not realize this. I don’t know why I bought AS dark wax but the salesman was cute and gave me some great ideas on how to use it!! I am not a diehard fan of either one like so many people seem to be but of the two, I prefer MMS milk paint. Some have issues, some need prep. How to Become a Milionaire Real Estate Agent, How to Write Listing Descriptions That Sell, The DOs & DON’Ts of Real Estate Headshots. They just do. I absolutely love that it can also be used in a paint sprayer. Lacquer Kitchen Cabinets Pros And Cons Gloss. Our clients love to use gloss finishes in high traffic areas like bathrooms and kitchens because of how easy they are to clean. Chalk paint will hide heavily grained wood like oak. It will stick to just about anything, so it is a great option for covering a laminate wood surface or even metal. When we moved into our new house, I decided to paint a chalkboard wall in the playroom. Fusion is a little different because it’s acrylic-based, so it does adhere to the underneath wood finish. You should know their pros and cons and then make your choice regarding the type of the paint you will use. Since I use a lot of chalk style paints Thank you for all the beautiful photos as well. More usage I would do two coats. We can’t send our furniture to repair centers for every wear and tear that happens, right? :). (sheen vs no sheen) I think it would be fine. you have put the itch back into my creative side. 2.) Dries quickly. (Pros and Cons of Chalk Paint) Before we compare chalk paint and other options, it’s important to understand what chalk paint really is. These two popular products are similar in a number of ways.