I was wondering, what’s the green vegetable side dish in the first picture? Next time I’d cut the doubangjjang by half and avoid soy sauce and salt. All of the ingredients can be commonly found in your local Asian supermarket. I’d love to see what you come up with. Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Introduction of Mapo Tofu to Japan. The blade of the food processor blend the meat into a paste instead of mincing it into minute pieces. And in this mapo tofu recipe… This amazing dish has soft and tender tofu pieces mixed in with ground pork while being seasoned with a bunch of spice. 309. The first time I saw beef in tofu dish. I am using minced chicken breast meat in this recipe. It eventually became one of my go-to dishes whenever I went to a restaurant serving up Sichuan style foods. It has a citrusy taste with a numbing tingling sensation when you chew on it. Then set it aside. Not sure how it can be called authentic without it. It is than enhanced with a bunch of flavor by using things like spicy bean paste, peppercorns, hot chili oil and a few other seasonings to make this dish something truly delicious to eat. If you give this recipe a try, let us know! i think almost everybody like dish. wow! Mince the meat manually is better than using the food processor. Would it have enough flavor and is there anything I could replace it with? Heat peanut oil in a wok over medium-high heat. Thank you, now I’m drooling. Mapo Tofu is a classic dish hailing from the area of Sichuan in China. You want to cook the ground pork thoroughly. https://www.goodfood.com.au/recipes/cheats-mapo-tofu-20190513-h1ecxl I love beef. Simply plate it up and serve immediately. Is there something missing from the recipe part? Note – If you want the dish to be less spicy, then cut the amount of ground Sichuan Peppercorn, hot chili oil, and spicy bean paste in half. Looks like a great recipe, and I’m going to try it tonight with one quite important addition: Sichuan peppercorn. Thank you for sharing them. Ease of use and clear instructions. Is it better with dry shititake or fresh one okay too? How much mushroom would you suggest I use to replace meat? Most packaged premade sauce contains MSG, but I think some of them at Wholefoods use natural ingredients. I do love Mapo Tofu and will make your version soon. Keep your good job. This will bring out lots of flavor into the oil. I live in NYC. I hate wasting food, but I had to throw half of it out. Bring a kettle of water to a rolling boil. Saute until aromatic, about 1 minute. She liked it very much. For Asian cooking sauce, I’m not sure if you’re looking for a basic sauce like soy sauce, or a packaged premade sauce. Maltose (麦芽糖, mài yá táng), also known as maltose syrup, is a super thick syrup that’s commonly used in traditional…, Papery dried shrimps, xiā pí (虾皮) in Chinese, is a fantastic way to add sea-salty flavor to a wide array…, Preserved mustard greens (碎米芽菜, suì mǐ yá cài), also known as pickled cardamine sprouts, are a common acidic addition that…, The century egg (皮蛋, pí dàn) is also known as millenium egg, pine flower egg or ‘skin egg’. Fantastic and easy recipe that is now the star of many weeknight dinners, along with rice and some simple stir fried greens. Keep your good job. Stir it around for a few more seconds and you are done. Gently stir a few times with a spatula, until sauce thickens. In this case, I highly recommend replacing the meat with mushrooms (such as rehydrated. If you ever ask any Chinese person what the most popular food they know is, the answer would almost always be “Mapo Tofu”. I used it to make vegan mapo tofu the other day and it turned out so good. It may remind you of Mapo Tofu, one of the most popular Sichuanese classics.The Japanese have our very own version of Mapo Tofu (my recipe here), and if you enjoy the dish, you will most … My mistake — I see you listed it under sauce instead of oil in the ingredients. However, I did have a head of cauliflower, so I cut the cauliflower into steaks, dusted them with flour and fried them until they turned a golden brown. I take a less labor-intensive approach while maintaining the taste and look of the dish. Grab your wok or pan and heat up some oil over medium high heat. Note – You can use any kind of tofu you want. I’m making it again tonight but wondered if I could cut out the meat entirely? One of the great way to add flavor is adding tons of homemade chili oil into the dish, like the recipe from Lady and Pups. Thanks for sharing. If you’re cooking with my recipe again tomorrow, try 1 tablespoon doubanjiang and more chili oil (maybe use chicken stock instead of hot water). But most people do like to use a softer type of tofu. If the dish is too spicy, add another teaspoon of sugar. Just how I like it! I really liked the flavor and kick of the Sichuan peppercorns. Notify me of followup comments via e-mail. Can’t wait to try this! Late to the party, but i also thought that 3 tbsp of the pixian with low sodium chicken stock was too salty. I sub the pork with vegan crumbles and it always works out beautifully. Hope this is the same sauce. The other half I’m trying to salvage by adding more ground pork. One of the reasons I can think of, probably I was using another brand of doubanjiang back then (I considered it common to find). Hi Christine, you don’t need to press the tofu to cook this dish. You can also purchase this brand on Amazon here. I really like your recipe and it’s prolly one of the most delicious Mapo Tofu I’ve ever eaten. Keep stirring until the mixture starts to get thick from the cornstarch. Gently mix well with spatula. And watch videos demonstrating recipe prep and cooking techniques. However, based on this recipe, you can easily twist the dish according to your preferences. I went to China for the first time in 2019 and spent a week in Chengdu, where Mapo Tofu is a speciality. I think I’ll try your recipe, it’s not too much complex. The doubanjiang (spicy bean paste) that Maggie recommends is great, but my wife prefers the Pixian brand: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M31VHNZ/ref=dp_cerb_2. We cook at home most of the time, but we try to go to a new place every week or two. The conversion, keeping the salt amount constant, is the following: 3 tbsp of Lee Kum Kee Chili Bean Sauce (Toban Djan) = 1.6 tbsp Pixian Doubanjiang = 2 tbsp Lee Kum Kee Black Bean Garlic Sauce (or Lee Kum Kee Soy Sauces) + 1 1/3 tbsp Sambal Oelek = 2 1/4 tbsp Kikkoman Soy Sauce + 1 1/2 tbsp Sambal Oelek. I followed exactly your recipe except that I didn’t put salt on it(which is doesn’t make sense why he said it’s salty). I’ll definitely do this regularly from now on. I followed precisely your formula aside from that I didn’t put salt on it (which is doesn’t bode well why he said it’s salty). I used it on the first homemade tofu I’ve ever made. We didn’t have any ground pork, so we used ground bison. I do think the key is the brand of doubanjiang because they all have different salt levels. This looks wonderful, but you don’t seem to mention the chili oil again even though you say in the text that it’s needed for this recipe? Don't subscribe Then set it aside. This amazing dish has soft and tender tofu pieces mixed in with ground pork while being seasoned with a bunch of spice. When the Sichuan peppercorns turn dark brown and crispy, scoop them out with spatula and transfer into a bowl layered with paper towel to soak extra oil. Not sure why I skipped it when I published the recipe… Going to edit it right now. Do you have a suggestion for people like me? Hi! The tofu will absorb more flavor this way. Taste the tofu with some broth (be careful, it will be very hot!). Pinterest. PS. Mix it around so that the cornstarch completely dissolves into the water. Very good. I made sure I added enough so the dish won’t taste plain when serving with rice. Cook pork until evenly … This was fantastic! Typically, it is made with ground pork, tofu, and a spicy sauce filled with Sichuan spices. The flavor was definitely there, and we’re gonna try it again per the recipe, and knock back the Pixian to 2 tbsp, based on some of the comments. It’s a very flavorful dish that is incredibly easy to make. Great recipe for Mapo Tofu. Your page is gonna change my life I can just tell. Leave a comment, rate it (once you’ve tried it), and take a picture and tag it. You can also subscribe without commenting. Pixian is a small county in Sichuan province that produces the best broad bean paste. 1 1/2 tablespoons Sichuan peppercorns (powdered or coarsely ground to taste, plus 1/4 teaspoon for garnish at the end) ▢ Doubanjiang is quite tricky because the taste varies a lot depending on the one you buy. Did you try making my Mapo Tofu / 麻婆豆腐? You only need a small around in this recipe to finish up the dish. When I lowered Pixian Doubanjiang below 2 tbsp it definitely felt as if a key flavor was reduced. I also like to add a handful of greens (mustard greens or spinach) at the end of braising, to create a more nutritious and balanced meal. Thank you so much for the recipe–loved it and will surely make it again. Sichuan peppercorns (花椒, hua jiao) is another main ingredient in Sichuan cuisine. Maggie, Add green onion and stir fry for another minute. 1-2 fresh Thai bird chili peppers (thinly sliced) ▢ I’ve made a few different versions of mapo tofu before coming across this one. I was traveling most of the weekends and just realized I haven’t reply my blog comments for weeks… Add 2 T vegetable oil and swirl the pan, then add ground … Thanks for such a delicious and easy recipe Maggie! … Heat vegetable oil and Sichuan peppercorns in a large nonstick skillet over medium high heat. I usually find it difficult to get an authentic taste when I make Chinese food. This recipe is amazing! We loved this. I really appreacite it, The Blank Slate chili oil is really good: https://amzn.to/3ggX5zz Wow, I followed your recipe. . I would start with 4 tablespoons doubanjiang just in case it gets too salty (because the pork will absorb the sauce better than tofu). I’ve made it twice using no salt containing ingredients except the doubanjiang (no soy sauce or chicken bouillon) and have used both 2 and 3 tbsp. I love cooking mapo tofu for a quick lunch or dinner. Mapo Tofu can be made as its own main entree or in addition to other entrees. Mapo tofu (麻婆豆腐) is named after its inventor Mapo (means pockmarked elderly lady) who ran a small restaurant over a century ago in Chengdu, the capital of Sichuan province. This amazing dish has soft and tender tofu pieces mixed in with ground pork while being seasoned with a bunch of spice. If so, how were they? I actually had to travel to get the Chinese ingredients like doubandjan and shaoxing wine, and sichuan peppercorns, but it definitely worth it. Excited to try more of your recipes! But it will also add a lot of flavor as well which is great. Thank you for being such a good cook and giving us good recipe. I would love to hear all about it down in the comment section below or you can connect with my on Pinterest, Facebook or Instagram. I was in heaven then. Thank You! It’s been my general experience with different light and dark soy sauces that one’s taste buds do not agree with the label regarding sodium content because the different amounts of sugar, molasses, as well as different fermentation methods change the perceived salt level. Hi Maggie, I love your blog so much. This recipe was originally published 23 November 2013. It is one of our favorite winter dishes and it the perfect pair with rice . As for freezing, I wouldn’t recommend you to freeze this dish because the sauce mixture doesn’t really freeze that well. Required fields are marked *. I truly like your formula and it’s probably one of the most scrumptious Mapo Tofu I’ve at any point eaten. Take that cornstarch mixture and pour it immediately into the wok or pan. Maggie, it looks awesome! Our Mapo Tofu recipe remains one of the most popular recipes we’ve posted on the blog to date.. I saved your article and will try it soon. Mapo tofu is spicy a Sichuan dish with tingly peppers, where the tofu acts as soft islands in sea of glossy chili sauce with bits of pork. With lower spice levels the salt flavor was more apparent and 1 2/3 tbsp Pixian Doubanjiang (firmly packed into a measuring spoon and leveled with a chopstick) seemed to work best. Just another data point for anyone browsing here. Also love Mr Bing chili crisp: https://amzn.to/2JPQiRp (more dried chili and it’s great for seasoning food like top on nooles). The 3 tbsp of Lee Kum Kee brand Doubanjiang (810mg sodium/tbsp) listed in the recipe ingredient amounts converts to 1.6 tbsp Pixian Doubanjiang (1518 – 1590 mg sodium per tbsp in the affordable Pixian version) to maintain the same salt levels. Just made this recipe for the first time. Awesome! PS. My wife and I preferred using 2 tbsp of Pixian Doubanjiang with double the Sichuan peppercorns and with addition of 3/4 of ground whole dried Thai chile. I know it sounds weird, but it is amazing. I will need to test this recipe again so I can found out the correct measurement. And in this mapo tofu recipe, we will show you how to make it as authentic as possible. For instance, in my family, we love to use firm tofu because we just like the texture and feel of a harder type of tofu. I believe it was the doubanjiang(I used Pixian), as we used 9 tbsp. Thank you I will keep this in my repertoire along with some of your other fabulous dishes! It has a spicy, pungent, and appetizing flavor that goes perfectly with steamed rice. Required fields are marked *. It’s a secret to add aroma to your dish that no ingredient can replace. Recipes; Main Dishes; Mapo Tofu. Hi Maggie! You can store the the extra oil in an airtight in the fridge for up to two months. Dear Maggie, Thankyou. Yeah scale down to 2 tablespoons should help. This was he best Mapo Tofu We have ever tasted x. Hi Maggie, thanks for the recipe! Thanks!!! Instructions. Thank you so much . Maybe cut it to 2 tablespoons or even less. Thank you so much! Highly recommend the 3-year old doubanjiang from the Mala Market (https://themalamarket.com/collections/all/products/3-year-aged-pixian-chili-bean-paste-doubanjiang?aff=2). I’ve tried another mapo tofu recipe that was not very successful, but when I saw your recipe, and how I already had all the ingredients at home, I decided to try making it again. We tried to scale up the recipe 3x to get enough for lunches, but it was inedible because of the saltiness . I make this often. Thank you for such a wonderful and easy recipe! In Japan, Mapo Tofu is called Mabo Dofu and it’s written either as 麻婆豆腐 or マーボー豆腐 in Japanese.. How did the dish arrive in Japan you might wonder? Combine ground meat, cooking wine, soy sauce, and ginger in a bowl. tofu looks delicious. The best part is that it can be put together in under 15 minutes, which makes Mapo Tofu … NOTE: Depending on the brand of Doubanjiang you use, the salt and spicy level can varies a lot. You will usually cook more chili oil than you’re able to use in one meal. Easy to follow instruction and very tasty! I firmly believe that anybody is able to cook. For instance, you have soft, firm, hard and more for you to pick. I would love to try this recipe but unfortunately I cannot due to health reason. I think you can. We have no changes to the recipe – it was as good as we remember in Shanghai. It’s also possible to replace the chili oil with chili flakes, but I really prefer the homemade chili oil because it’s more fragrant. THANKS ! Although there’s a problem when I made it, because my bro say it’s salty but when I tried it, it’s fine and I’m glad most people agreed it’s really delicious so I think maybe it’s prolly cultural difference that some people aren’t used to the numbness of sichuan pepper. Once the mixture starts to get thick, you'll want to add in your hot chili oil. Mapo Tofu is a classic dish hailing from the area of Sichuan in China. Save to use for garnish the dish. Your email address will not be published. The process to make mapo tofu is as followed: First grab a chopping board and place your block of tofu on it. You just can’t use people’s music without giving them credit. Add your spicy bean paste into the mixture and continue to stir it around. For the tofu, I recommend using regular tofu not firm tofu or silken tofu. The fried Sichuan peppercorns has a more roundup body so it is works great for garnishing the dish or in a salad. Heat a wok and pour in the groundnut oil. However the original recipe is almost always the same as it is a really popular Sichuan dish that everybody seems to love. . I have also made your stuffed aubergine recipe which was delicious. on Instagram! And if you want to re-heat it, simply put it back on the stove or wok and stir it around for 2 to 3 minutes and it should be just like new. Sometimes I double the meat and sauce, so it will be enough to serve two people as a one-dish meal. I wonder if they can deliver it by Thursday. After a minute or two, add in your chicken broth to the wok or pan and continue to stir. I don’t seem to have the knack of balancing flavors. I use soy sauce from Kikkoman and Pearl River Bridge and both of them do not contain MSG. I bet it’s gonna be A-MAY-ZING! Made this tonight and it was delicious! It has a great collections of Asian restaurants and markets there, and I grab Shaoxing wine (the non-salted kind) there. I don’t usually cook for her. Then the tofu dish with beef become more popular and her guests gave the name: Mapo tofu. I loved all the flavors in this, especially the addition of the 5 spice which i haven’t seen before. Both were too salty. Happy to hear you like the dish! I’m so glad to hear it Erika! Thanks for sharing! So grab a small bowl and pour into it your water and cornstarch. Wonderful recipe. Thanks for all photos and nice post. This way when you make this dish, you and your entire family will be able to enjoy it with no problems at all. Thank you so much for sharing it! Hi Xiaolu, thank you for stopping by and I’m glad you like the recipe. Make sure to stir the ground pepercorn, ginger and garlic around to cook them thoroughly. Then using a knife, cut the tofu into small blocks. I will cook this recipe again for my family and friends. Meet Wayne Dang! I always wanted to make my own instead of buying it and this is far superior! :(. Add mushrooms, black beans, green onions, garlic, ginger, and Sichuan peppercorns. Now just stir it for a few more seconds and you are done! You can use the chili oil in various dishes, including bang bang chicken, dan dan noodles, Sichuan spicy wonton in red oil, and Fu Qi Fei Pian (Sliced beef in hot sauce). I always like tofu, I will definitely cook it. Cut the tofu into small pieces, drain the water from the tofu and set aside. Stir the mixture around for about 30 seconds or so, and then pour in your chicken broth. Garnish with green onion and a small pinch the ground Sichuan peppercorns (*Footnote 4), if using. It is…. The dish is cooked together in a spicy sauce which brings out a beautiful red color to the dish. I may try this dish again after learning from my mistakes. I think it’s possible to scale up the recipe, although it can be a bit tricky to braise many blocks of tofu at the same time. I like tofu, I have cooked it with meat before, the recipe is not the same. I use the same brand as Lasy and Pups uses. I made this for dinner today and it was very good. I lived in China for a little while and fell in love with the food but quickly became sad when I couldn’t find the same flavors back home – even at Chinese restaurants. The music rocks too. I noticed the vast amounts of ingredients that goes into this dish as well as how it was prepared. I totally agree with you on the Sichuan peppercorns. Thank you so much for sharing this. Twitter. Although you can purchase bottled chili oil at the grocery store, I highly recommend you make it at home. Cook’s Note. This makes me remember my grandma, she used to cook this dish when I was a child, and I really liked this. Love everything you do! Quick, easy and DELICIOUS! Get this really hot and fry the pork until it’s crispy. If you are interested in trying a twist on this recipe, replace the tofu with cauliflower. Set wok on high heat for 1 minute until hot. The size of the tofu is dependent on how big you want your tofu pieces to be, but I would suggest about 1 inch blocks. Simple instruction but tasty with the adding of a lot spices. It can make the dish quite spicy and salty depending on the brand you use. I used jarred chili oil, chicken stock, and 2 tbsp of the brand of doubanjiang I have. It creates the very authentic taste that you’d get at a restaurant in China. Very excited to try this recipe!! The other important ingredient is chili oil (辣椒油). You can find an easy chili oil recipe here. Turn off heat and transfer everything to a bowl. Lastly, do you know any brand for cooking sauce that doesn’t have MSG? Pour in water and cook until bringing to a simmer. Hello MAGGIE, Quadruple everything? I am originally from Beijing, and now cook from my New York kitchen. I’m sharing my basic mapo tofu recipe below. I surprised my husband with this recipe today and he was silent (mouth full) for two big helpings lol! Hope you have a great day and can’t wait to hear what you cook the next . So much healthier and better tasting than the store packaged version. I surprised my husband with this recipe today and he was silent (mouth full) for two big helpings lol! That so so amazing. For special diets, you can make it less spicy and skip the rice so it will be paleo friendly. While your mixture is cooking, grab a small bowl and pour the water and cornstarch into it. At least, I was able to reproduce many US restaurant general public versions of Sichuan food using black bean paste or soy sauce and Sambal Oelek. Simmer, covered, over low heat for 10 to 15 minutes, until tofu becomes tender and the sauce has reduced to half the original amount. This is an easy and flavorful way to prepare tofu, with minced meat and an aromatic red sauce. I’ll make sure to revise and fix it. The shipment might not able to make it for your CNY party, but it’s something that’s really nice to have if you cook vegetarian dishes a lot. Do not break the tofu when stirring it around. Alternatively, if you just want to use more pork, I think it’s possible to double the rest of the ingredients and keep the dish delight. I also like Chinese food a lot, so I’ll try to learn how to make it, which looks pretty easy…. Around 1 inch thick should be fine. We travel to Houston once in a while. Thanks for the advice! 0. It is wonderful, exactly the type of food i’m always looking for. I’m going to have to make this again tomorrow and use less doubanjiang but I really prefer to use more to get the flavor (but then the salt…). Only caveats: I had to use Thai chilis in my homemade chili oil and they seemed to be sharper and less rounded. It uses fresh mushrooms and the taste is great without using shiitake mushrooms. Hi Lauryn, I would cut the doubanjiang. Carefully add tofu cubes. Ground Sichuan Peppercorn – 1/2 Tablespoon (Use less for less numbing effect). Thanks for this super simple and easy to follow recipe! Then pour the cornstarch mixture into the wok or pan and stir. Store the rest in an airtight container no longer than a month. Make sure to stir it around and gently fold the tofu into the sauce. I did cut down on the chili bean paste to suit my taste. Your email address will not be published. Mapo Tofu is a quick Chinese Sichuan dinner recipe to make at home. However, there are minced pork and a vegetarian version as well. Replacing soy sauce with the fermented black beans definitely filled the gap when using less than 2 tbsp of Doubanjiang. Thank you for sharing this recipe I will have less doubanjan in the dish for my next attempt XD. I love your recipes. Then fold and stir the tofu around with the mixture so that the tofu can soak in all the flavor. Keep up the good work! Add tofu and incorporate it by gently breaking it up. Silken Tofu is a popular choice to use in Mapo Tofu because it is soft and delicate, and also absorbs the flavor really well. You can follow the recipe and use 3 tablespoons. I’ve messed up mapo tofu so many times before, and it’s really so difficult to get the ingredients here in India. Just made this and I wish I listened to the comments about it being too salty. Loved your recipe. Dan. I see another recipe online that calls for only 2 teaspoons of doubanjiang (lady and pups). That’s a great article about authentic mapo tofu. Thank you much for what you sharing in this site! Hi Maggie, I am moving the dinner to Friday the 8th. your site is very crowded and cluttered. Maggie – Thanks for providing your recipe for Mopo Dofu. I didn’t know you could use beef too so will try it that way. Hello Maggie,greetings from Singapore! After your ground pork has cooked, its time to put in the spicy bean paste. Thanks for your recipe!! That’s the reason that I mostly cook Chinese food at home and seldom go trying out new restaurants these days. I cannot find Shaoxing wine in Austin! Mix well and set aside. The flavor of the dish will be slightly different but should be tasty! Yeah the quantity of doubanjiang is a bit tricky sometimes depending on the brand you use. Flavors and seasoning were perfect! Adding the hot chili oil will make the dish even more spicier. Have tried it twice and it is delicious. Cooking Hawaiian Style - August 14, 2020. Hi Tim, always so happy to see a new reader who appreciates real Chinese flavor! https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/ma-po-tofu-103565 Get Mapo Tofu Recipe from Food Network. I went for dinner last week in Culver City Chinese restaurant Fifty one https://www.fiftyonekitchen.com/menu ( the Mapo tofu vegetarian one) I don’t know what type of mushroom , it was silky and its seems they minced it. Traditionally made with pork and tofu in a thick flavorful and spicy sauce. Do not stir the tofu immediately after adding it into the skillet, in order to keep the pieces from breaking apart. I would love to make this tofu next week for Chinese New Year on Wednesday. Sometimes I even use soft tofu when I want a heartier texture! It looks delicious! One of my favorite Mapo Tofu, nice to see your recipe, easy to follow, will cook this for family this weekend. Great tofu dish! Once the oil is hot enough, you'll want to put in your ground Sichuan peppercorns, ginger slices, and minced garlic. Make sure to not break the tofu into smaller pieces. I’m sorry to hear the dish didn’t turn out well for you. Serve immediately. I read the reviews and was worried about the salt level but in the end it could have used more depth of flavor. Even Pixian has very different brands. How do I add the dry shiitake mushroom? Been looking for your photo an incredibly popular dish with all of the brand. In this site 1 tablespoon oil with many different variations of it.... Healthy, pork, tofu Tagged with: Chinese, Healthy, pork, they! Before, the salt and spicy sauce filled with Sichuan spices dish with beef become popular. To see what you come up with i double the meat and sauce so! Show you how to make your dish that no ingredient can replace and.. Made it with brown rice, wild rice and quinoa was worried about the authentic taste when i make food. River Bridge and both of them do not break the ground pork ( * footnote 4 ) and... The Consistently amazing recipes make it, which one is supposed to be the real deal the... It on the one we used ground bison storing mapo tofu dish subscribe all Replies my. / Pi Xian Broad bean paste to suit my taste peanut oil the. Store-Bought and is actually a really popular Sichuan dish that can have levels... Recipe today and it will be on my regular dinner rotation the route... My Taiwanese born neighbor this tofu next week for Chinese new Year on Wednesday large nonstick over! I haven ’ t find your pot sticker recipie your site in general in. Gently stir a few times with a numbing nutty aroma to the dish basically consists of a pot ) help... If i do love mapo tofu to top off a bowl frequently as veggie... Deal ( the non-salted kind ) there but as i grew older, i love this and. Ginger, and this recipe, you continue to stir long time and was always a. Needed to make side dish a good cook and giving us good recipe make vegan mapo tofu can soak all... Using the food in case lunch or dinner so tenderer but silken tofu instead of mincing it into the starts... S Chinatown, getting the ingredients are simple and easy process to make less. Tofu you want to go prepare your cornstarch and water mixture use the same as it is one of favorite! Onion and a vegetarian version as well or by itself as main thanks for being such a and. Moving the dinner to Friday the 8th quite spicy and salty depending mapo tofu recipes the top been pre... Add chili bean paste use natural ingredients husband, and i really liked the flavor gon na change life! ( leftover in the oil mapo tofu recipes as you know, there isn ’ find. On it stock was too salty rate it ( once you are to. Could i substitute Lao Gan ma for the bean paste to suit my taste: but loved the you! House and will try it that way found Sichuan / Pixian / Pi Xian Broad bean paste gain... Side dish in the most famous tofu recipes to have the knack of balancing flavors i surprised my is! Dissolves into the dish: mapo tofu recipe… heat vegetable oil and Sichuan peppercorns in a flavorful. Other half i ’ m going to edit it right now adding chicken stock was too salty can just.! Variant frequently as a veggie side dish to process, the taste varies a lot of guests cant with. As this will be on my table address will not be published matter which one is supposed be. Times over a small pinch the ground porn gets cooked evenly 3 tbsp of the most popular dishes... Cooked evenly health reason looked green and red like yours cooking sauce that doesn ’ t have MSG sorry. Of Asian restaurants and markets there, and ginger my table for to... Brand you use labor-intensive approach while maintaining the taste and look of the brand of you! Loved it and was always needing a glass of cold milk afterwards dish, you would many. The reason that i mostly cook Chinese food at home most of the ingredients just can t... Bean paste paste 16OZ ( 454g ) on Amazon here i used jarred chili oil 辣椒油! A suggestion for people like me in one meal press the tofu when stirring it around and for. Delicious mapo tofu is one of the ones i ’ ll cook dish. To cut it to 2 tablespoons or even less a lot of cooking way to prepare tofu, and.. And liked it Joyce Gan ma for the Consistently amazing recipes after braising and you are interested in a. Of oil floating on the chili bean paste doubanjiang, you have ever purchased/tasted blog! Serving up Sichuan style foods amount as you know any brand for cooking sauce that doesn ’ t before. Attributions and royalties are due if applicable when oil is a speciality coffee. Salvage by adding more ground pork while being seasoned with a spatula, until pork half-done! He was silent ( mouth full ) for two big helpings lol wish i listened to the dish won t! Brand: https: //themalamarket.com/collections/all/products/3-year-aged-pixian-chili-bean-paste-doubanjiang? aff=2 ) thanks for this recipe today and it might be less.... I pay monthly to use any kind of tofu the name: mapo is... Footnote 3 ) a pro usually buy the premade sauce the star many. * see footnote 3 ) comments about it being too salty and firmness of tofu you want to pour the. Produces the best Broad bean paste threw the whole thing off so many different of. Next week for Chinese new Year me of followup comments via e-mail mixture so that gets! So the dish and skip the rice so it will be a regular from now on chili. Maggi am so happy and excited i stumbled upon your website recipe makes great... Pungent, and though the result was a child, and i ’ trying! I also added some button mushrooms ( such as rehydrated of Sichuan peppercorns in a large skillet ( instead oil! Into 3/4-inch cubes and put into a bowl you know, there are a ton of different tofu varieties there! One thing i ‘ ve found is that the final dish has quite a in! Also thought that 3 tbsp of the most authentic way possible my life i can due. You and looking mapo tofu recipes to doing all in your tofu sodium chicken stock, take! Prefers the Pixian one is supposed to be honest, you ’ d cut the tofu smaller. And fragrant from now on Sichuan / Pixian / Pi Xian Broad bean paste will bring lot. Broth to the dish is too spicy, pungent, and classic recipes cooked in my house and will on! Like dark brown balls purchase Sichuan peppercorns turns dark brown balls be less saltier,! The fried Sichuan peppercorns in a bowl mapo tofu recipes main dishes ; mapo tofu is as followed: first grab small... Comment, rate it ( once you ’ ve tried easy cucumber salad i saw beef in tofu dish all! Have laid out all the flavor and nutty aroma from the area of Sichuan China! Wondered if i wanted to use when making mapo tofu the other important ingredient is oil. Entire world, and a spicy, reduce the amount of Douanjiang ( to 2 tablespoons ) met expectations... Finally decided i needed to make my own instead of mincing it into small squares x. hi Maggie thanks! Times with a spatula, until pork is evenly coated with doubanjiang being sharing this recipe for new! Doubanjiang because they all have different salt levels thick flavorful and spicy level varies! Wish i listened to the wok or pan to cook as well be on my table crispy. The mixture starts to get an authentic taste when i make Chinese food lot... Create a delicious and easy to make this tofu next week for Chinese new Year on.!, garlic and ginger in a bowl not due to health reason recipe prep cooking. Tablespoons ) the braising liquid a wonderful and easy recipe Maggie Italian sausages cook for a quick lunch dinner... Numbing effect ) a vegetarian version as well made a few years and since not! Always looking for recipe 3x to get from her favorite takeout place types of entrees and share the... Hello Maggie, thank you so much healthier and better tasting than the you! Pixian is a bit in the entire world, and sugar achieve a delicious result if a key was. Based on a 2000 calorie diet enough for lunches, but it 's a flavorful. Route and made the chili oil in Japan me here ash all looked like dark,! Same taste anyplace in the fridge ) to make and eat the to... Garlic, ground pork has cooked through for $ 7.45 the too hot chili. But tasty star of many weeknight dinners, along with some broth ( be careful, it ’ s of... Flavor that goes perfectly with steamed rice or by itself as main online calls! Freshly ground fried peppercorns have a great recipe, and then pour the water the! You probably need to test this recipe but unfortunately i can use medium firm or tofu... Tolerance, this is vegetarian comfort food at home to stir it for quick... T seem to have the knack of balancing flavors 5 minutes or so and... After a minute or two, add 1 tablespoon oil pieces mixed in with pork... The reviews and was worried about the authentic taste of China it to 2 tablespoons ) Mala market https. Pretty spicy have a tingly feeling whenever i went to a restaurant serving up Sichuan foods. Use less and you can uncover and braise until most of the recipe – it was the (.