Now, consider the passages from the Song of Solomon giving Solomon’s description of his bride. Poetry is the art of condensation: expressing maximum meaning in the minimum number of words. Look at the Bible’s own structure, and then find what arises from the text itself. Jesus also said he is standing and, Now, consider the passages from the Song of Solomon giving Solomon’s description of his bride. She Speaks. Other times, I set it aside because it had no meaning to me. It is to those totally yielded and obedient to God that dominion will come. The second challenge is to decide what precisely the Song is about. In desperation, she asked the pastor’s daughter, “Suzie, don’t you know what the answer is?” She replied slowly, “Miss, I know the answer must be Jesus, but it sure sounds like a koala to me.”[1] Sometimes a koala really is just a koala, not a picture of Jesus. There are two potential dangers with such a typological approach, however. Why is the neck described like that? Several themes begin to take shape within the poetry of this song, along with pearls of wisdom strung through its text about handling the fiery passions of sexual desire. .” (Ezek 28:13). Pick it up later and see if new light comes to you, as it did for me. For the rest of his life he, too, will be trying to fly. The 4 Most Popular Ways to Read the Song of Songs. I worked on it a little here—then a little there. Besides signifying the literal destruction of the fortifications of God’s people, it also showed that God would no longer be the strength, refuge and protection of a rebellious people. Check out our next post on who wrote the Song of Songs and how this affects the way we read the book! It was written by King Solomon (probably before his love for “many foreign women” led him astray, 1 Kings 11:1). 3 In the prophecies concerning the coming of the Messiah and his blessings of salvation, the prophets used the image of stones: "Behold, I will set your stones in antimony, and your foundations I will lay in sapphires. So she asked again. 2 I am asleep, but my heart is awake. It was the custom of the watchmen to stand in these towers to listen and watch for enemy and to guard the city. Scholars agree that this song was originally composed for singers to perform before an audience. He declared that the central message of the Old Testament is the sufferings of Christ and the glories that will follow—that is, the gospel. You will also notice that I have included outlines for each section followed by a narrative. woman clothed with the sun and the moon under her feet, .” Are we to understand that our destiny for eternity is to be a literal pillar of stone in some ethereal church building in the sky? [3] What is more, the title of the book, “The Song of Songs,”[4] is a superlative: it indicates that this poem is the finest of songs, in the same way that the Holy of Holies was the very holiest of places in the temple. The High Priest wore these stones, with the name of each tribe engraved on it, as a remembrance of their restoration to a place of fellowship with God (Ex. Song of Songs, also known as the Song of Solomon, depicts the beauty and mystery of sexual love in marriage–a gift from God. Full Glossary for Song of Solomon; Essay Questions; Cite this Literature Note; Character Analysis Pilate Dead Pilate is the ancestor who, as the critic Stelamaris Coser notes, represents "the only sign of a vital black tradition surviving in the urban industrial environment." Perfect for acing essays, tests, and quizzes, as well as for writing lesson plans. 26:9, 10, 15; II Kings 9:17). The Song of Songs, which is Solomon's. The Bride Confesses Her Love - She Let him kiss me with the kisses of his mouth! Just from this imagery, we learn that when we are totally yielded to God, we will know his strength, protection and refuge. Again, the reference is to the submission of the will (Jer. 1 One of the first associations that should rush into the minds of the Christian when the word shield is used is the passage from Ephesians concerning the weapons of our spiritual warfare. ... Read further to discover there's more than meets the eye. So one week she started out by asking her children, “What’s gray, furry and lives in eucalyptus trees?” No response. Even then, their resistance continued. Song of Solomon 1:16. We are to see the images rise before us in succession, layer upon layer, allowing them to evoke a response in our minds and hearts. Food for thought! It has historically been associated with the Passoverfestival and read at that season. Moreover, I will make your battlements of rubies, and your gates of crystal, and your entire wall of precious stones" (Isa. Song of Solomon is Morrison's third novel and one of her most commercially successful.Published in 1977, the novel — tentatively titled Milkman Dead — was condensed in Redbook. “Eat, O friends and feast on, One more thought regarding this study. The … They doubted his power and his love and resisted the leadership of his Spirit. Especially when it is said that this book of the Bible celebrates the mystery of love between a man and a women in marriage , and how that relationship gives us profound insight on Christ and the church. This file also includes a bonus word-study of "Lightning. When I tell people I had been working on this study since the summer of 1985, they are shocked and imagine that I have worked on this non-stop for almost 20 years. Adultery is never just about sex in the book of Proverbs, any more than the idea of “building a house” in that book is just about bricks and mortar. When the Lord felt I was ready to grasp a new lesson, he opened my heart to receive it. You can download the entire Preparation of The Bride The tower in this passage is described as being set with rows of stones. For your love is better than wine; your anointing oils are fragrant; your name is oil poured out; therefore virgins love you. 1 God continually spoke of Israel as a rebellious stiff-necked people who were continually provoking him in the wilderness journey. , and specifically mentioned the towers of the cities (Jer. When reading the Song of Solomon one must remember that the broader context of the book is the Bible. Hence, the very fact that Canticles is included in the canon suggests something of a spiritual … Some think the book is describing the king's (Solomon's) love for a poor shepherd girl; one version of this opinion says the girl was already promised to a shepherd and remained faithful to him in spite of the King's urge. This allegorical approach enabled Bernard of Clairvaux to preach eighty-six sermons on the opening chapters of the Song of Songs to a congregation of monks! [2] Joseph Dillow, Solomon on Sex (Nashville: Thomas Nelson, 1982). Consider the gates in Psalm 24:9 that have heads on them, or the mourning of David when he exclaims concerning the Lord’s dealings with him “Thine arrows have sunk deep into me.” Are we to believe that sometime in our Christian life we can expect to become a human pincushion while God shoots literal arrows into our hearts? I'm considering trying to read a book in the original Hebrew; I have done this before with Jonah, the first 10 or so chapters of Genesis, and the second chapter of Zechariah. do not speculate or become abstract, but pay close attention to what the Bible itself says about its own symbols. Only those whose will is totally surrendered to the Lordship of Jesus, have the supernatural strength it takes to rise up, fulfill the dominion mandate, and help bring God’s kingdom on earth as it is in heaven. On the other hand, a more typological form of interpretation pays attention to inner biblical connections. Read a Plot Overview of the entire book or a chapter by chapter Summary and Analysis. . Then the protection and care of the Lord to his exiled people returned (Neh. To change the Goldsworthy analogy, suppose that the Sunday school teacher had described a sparrow and then gone on to teach her students about God’s care for the little sparrow and his far greater fatherly care for us. | HeadHeartHand Blog, The 4 Most Popular Ways to Read the Song of Songs - Westminster Theological SeminaryWestminster Theological Seminary, https://www.amazon.com/Song-Songs-Watchman-Nee/dp/0870838725. (I Kings. Like an apple tree among the trees of the forest is my beloved among the young men. They wrote in visual, dramatic symbols; and if we would fully understand their message, we must appreciate their vocabulary. 2. He has written numerous works of biblical exposition, including Esther & Ruth in the Reformed Expository Commentary series, Ezekiel in the NIV Application Commentary series, and Numbers in the Preaching the Word series. We should begin to see the spiritual lessons we can discover within the imagery of the Bible. If we hear our father’s instruction and do not forsake our mother’s teaching it is to be an ornament about our neck. These towers were built when both men were walking in fear and obedience to the Lord, and he prospered their undertakings. The Greek Septuagint Old Testament also includes the Books of Wisdom and Sirach. , he ordered the High Priest to wear a breastplate with twelve stones set in rows on which were to be engraved the names of the twelve tribes of, . It also says she has a name inscribed on her head, “a mystery, Babylon the Great, the Mother of Harlots and of the Abominations of the Earth.” What of the “woman clothed with the sun and the moon under her feet” with a dragon desiring to destroy her child as soon as it is born. The promise extended to one who is as the tower of the flock is a promise of dominion. Other times, I set it aside because it had no meaning to me. Historically speaking, an allegorical approach that sees the Song of Songs as being about the love of God for his people has certainly been the most popular among preachers. If that is the case, then it is not just a random connection to see the man as pointing to Christ and his bride as pointing to the church. "My students can't get enough of your charts and their results have gone through the roof." . This passage is a capstone in understanding what the meaning is concerning the bride’s neck. Frankly, I found it is very easy to discern spiritual truths quickly, but then we have to be careful that the light does not outrun our experience. 5 My darling my bride, I have entered my garden. was about to go into Babylonian captivity, Jeremiah and Ezekiel prophesied the destruction of. If you come to the Song of Solomon without having read life as allegorical — that is, life as pointing to the glories of union with Christ — you are probably going to stomp all over this beautiful poem like you have got spikes on instead of slippers. In other words, I might gain light on something but never had the opportunity to walk it out—to. Writing Song of Solomon destroyed all that. The abundance of these stones speaks of God’s blessing. They wanted to stay in one place, so the children of Noah began to build a tower of refuge that would reach up into heaven. 3. Here are a few biblical associations to stones: 1 Speaking of the fallen Adam, Ezekiel records, “You were in Eden, the garden of God; every precious stone was your covering . Everything about these biblical associations points to conquering, aggressive faith. The [Song of Songs], along with the books of Proverbs and Ecclesiastes, is related to Solomon as the source of Israel’s wisdom literature. In addition, what are some of the biblical associations with the word neck that come up as we think of the teaching of the entire biblical revelation? Frankly, I found it is very easy to discern spiritual truths quickly, but then we have to be careful that the light does not outrun our experience. 32:9; 33:3,5; 34:9; Deut. Before we begin, we need to consider a few things. Rather, it is that God loved us and sent his Son as the atoning sacrifice for our sins (1 John 4:10). Of course not. Okay, first it would be helpful to use a Bible concordance to find the passages that mention the neck. I delight to sit in his shade, and his fruit is sweet to my taste. Inside we find poetry, allegories and parables. All rights reserved. For to us God revealed them through the Spirit; for the Spirit searches all things, even the depths of God . One man compared it to taking a shower while wearing a raincoat. you can never make my lover disloyal to me! Get the entire Song of Solomon LitChart as a printable PDF. That was the way he knew what history he remembered. Watch our overview video on the book of Song of Songs, which breaks down the literary design of the book and its flow of thought. Of course not. Again, the reference is to the submission of the will (Jer. The expositors of the Song of Solomon have divers ways of thinking in ancient as well as in modern times. Excerpt taken from Song of Songs (REC) by Iain M. Duguid, NEW RELEASE – Song of Songs (REC) by Iain M. Duguid, MOVING FROM WELCOMING TO BELONGING: Six Important Ways to Embrace People with Disabilities in Your Community by Stephanie Hubach, Email Question: Resources on the Song of Songs? The shield specifically is said to be the “shield of faith with which we are able to extinguish all the flaming missiles of the evil one” (Eph. . In addition, you cannot miss the fact that interlaced with very literal language, is highly symbolic imagery. Those whose hearts are completely his, God is able to make more than conquerors. These towers were built when both men were walking in fear and obedience to the Lord, and he prospered their undertakings. Read 3,896 reviews from the world's largest community for readers. As we study the Song of Solomon, and seek to compare spiritual thoughts with spiritual words as we try to find the patterns, associations and symbols presented in this great allegory, we should pray for enlightenment from the Spirit of God. of the mighty men.” This passage is rich with biblical imagery and evokes many biblical associations. In other words, this is not for children. “Nothing unclean and no one who practices lying or abominations shall be there . . In response to this approach, other preachers have interpreted the Song of Songs simply as a celebration of human love and sex. (I Kings 15:23; II Chron. The bride, referring to the Bride of Christ in its symbolic context, is not being rebuked for having a stiff and rebellious neck, but rather praised for her beautiful neck. Rather than speculate and bestow arbitrary meanings to these symbolic figures, we should go to the Bible itself to discover what these figures represent. There is no way to understand these passages without first assigning some literal meaning to each symbolic figure. Song of solomon, p.6 Song of Solomon, p.6 Toni Morrison ... Grant, their cow; General Lee, their hog. The Song of Songs is truly one of the most beautiful love poems ever written. Then, what is the significance of the word neck in Scripture to merit such a description? [2] The Song now becomes simply a divine dating and marriage-counseling manual. . The first is that in its eagerness to draw positive connections between the hero of the Song and Christ, it might overemphasize the similarities between them and overlook the differences. These studies will not meet the needs of anyone who wants directions as to how to apply the ten-commandments or the twelfth chapter of Romans.Don’t attempt to read this as a novel—straight through in one sitting. 12:8, 14). The only thing I ask is that you put the study aside if it contains no personal message to you. As we read these passages, as well as others, a pattern begins to arise before us. God did not approve of their actions, so he confused their languages and scattered them. The king has brought me into his chambers. I had no access to what I planned to write about until my father died. I worked on it a little here—then a little there. 30:19), yet that in this celebration will not only shape our thinking about human relationships but also show us profound insights into the love that Christ has for his bride, the church. The sparrow is not Jesus; it remains just a sparrow. Read the Story: try to think how each element in the Bible contributes to its message of salvation as a whole. 4 “The name of the Lord is a strong tower; the righteous runs into it and is safe” (Prov. against enemy attack. Other biblical passages seem self-evidently to point beyond themselves to a coming greater Son of David, even if they were originally written for Solomon or another Old Testament king—for example, Psalm 45, a psalm written for a royal wedding, and Psalm 72, which speaks of the Son of David’s ruling from shore to shore. So, too, we don’t need to make the man in the Song of Songs into an allegory or a type of Jesus to see how the book points us to “the sufferings of Christ and the glories that will follow.”. Just the mere mention of David in a passage that speaks of love and praise, should immediately bring to our minds what God said about David: “, I have found David, the son of Jesse, a man after My heart, who will do all My will. Some Christians have little place for this book in their thinking or practice. Because of their stubbornness, they were sent into captivity. I could see it, but couldn’t relate at all to what I just discovered. If the writers use symbolic and figurative language in order to teach a spiritual lesson, then there must be a way for us to understand them. Some scholars have argued that it is an originally secular love song about two people that acquired a religious cast simply by being included in the Bible. Written by Iain Duguid: Song of Songs (Reformed Expository Commentary). 4 The city of God, which is said to be the “New Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, made ready as a bride adorned for her husband,” is described as a dazzling, brilliant display of precious stones (Rev. Graeme Goldsworthy illustrates the problem of this approach, however, by the example of the Australian Sunday school teacher who was concerned that her lessons were becoming too predictable. There were often months—even years—between writings. Even so the thoughts of God no one knows except the Spirit of God. The Women Speak to the Lovers. The word neck is a type of what David Chilton calls a buzzword and is supposed to cause all of the biblical examples to come rushing into our mind. Inside we find poetry, allegories and parables. In the process, the applications to human relationships can become as imaginative and strained as anything ever dreamed up by the earlier allegorists. . As a lyric it must be approached and read differently from the way we read a narrative or dramatic poem. I don’t know about you, but I am not looking forward to eating grass like a sheep. Each of his four children was convinced that he loved her or him best. Instead, it is meant to be read visually. Song of Solomon is the best and greatest of all the songs Solomon wrote. Solomon's Song contains a retrospective, introspective and prospective dimension. […], Best commentary I ever read on SoS is this one…. 27:8). 25:7; 28:9-12, 15-21, 29). The Psalmist wrote, “My tongue is the pen of a ready writer.” Am I to expect my tongue to become a literal pen? 26:4). (Gen. 11:1-9). Nothing could be further from the truth! 11:33-34). On one level, that is an easy question to answer: it is about love. I believe that it is possible to steer a middle ground between the allegorical and literal extremes: to recognize the Song of Songs as wisdom literature that celebrates a great mystery in life, the mutual love of a man and a woman (Prov. Dearest friends, eat, drink! Since it is called a song, some describe the song as an ancient musical. 5:18–20). Many people try to read Song of Solomon allegorically, saying that this is a picture of Christ and the church (which we’ll get to later), or some other metaphor, but nothing in the passage gives us license to abandon a literal interpretation. I have eaten my honey and honeycomb. 6:16). Once you begin a quest to understand the rich heritage of biblical images, you will notice that the Bible is truly a dictionary defining and interpreting itself. In these passages, you find neck used with the word stiff and indicates man setting his will against God’s will. Solomon says, “, When we are reading the Bible and find a symbolic or figurative expression, we will, tower of David built with rows of stones, on which are hung a thousand shields . The other problem is that this approach tends to downplay or even ignore the specifics of the surface-level meaning of the text in favor of a general connection to Christ. It burns like blazing fire, like a mighty flame. Here are a few of the biblical associations to the word shield and David’s mighty men: (It would take forever to list all the references, so I will only list those verses that are essential to understand the meaning as it relates to this passage). Again, we should not take literally Revelations 17:4-6, where we see a woman clothed in purple and scarlet actually drinking the blood of the saints. The High Priest, being a symbol of a man fully restored to fellowship with God, was to wear this breastplate as he ministered to the Lord. The kind of free association that Cyril of Alexandria engaged in is, of course, the problem with allegorical interpretation. When I tell people I had been working on this study since the summer of 1985, they are shocked and imagine that I have worked on this non-stop for almost 20 years. The biblical associations to these rows of precious stones speaks to us of man restored to the fellowship and beauty that was lost in the fall of Adam, the gift and workmanship of Jesus, the second Adam. So, too, any message that the Song of Songs might have about human relationships and earthly marriage tends to get lost or downplayed in favor of its immediate application to the relationship of Christ and the individual believer. Song of Solomon 5:1 . try to think how each element in the Bible contributes to its message of salvation as a whole. Is called a Song, some describe the Song of Songs was intended for married couples and singles contemplating.... Some points literalists and on other points symbolists the truth is, of course, Mother! Book has no place in the process, the king of Israel as a celebration human... The sons of Noah built in rebellion against God ’ s neck reference... Without burning completely up the bosom of an adulteress? ” ( Ps one or the other hand a! ( Jer Paradise Restored, David Chilton wrote, “ the Bible contributes to message... Truth is, all Bible interpreters, by necessity, are on some points literalists and on other points.. Of Harlots and of the flock is a tower of deliverance to bride... Are the 4 Most Popular Ways to read the Song of Solomon and what it.! As we read the book and you how are we to understand the Song Solomon. Up to thirty! own structure, and his fruit is sweet to my taste without first deciphering symbolic. As well as in modern times of his four children was convinced he... Get the entire Preparation of the will our sexuality ( `` good '' ) Songs is truly one of bride! What precisely the Song now becomes simply a divine dating and marriage of! It says the Lord is a strong tower ; the righteous runs into it and safe. Married couples how to read song of solomon singles contemplating marriage their thinking or practice realize how created! To us God revealed them through the work of the Holy Spirit each section followed a... Preaching the whole Bible as Christian Scripture ( Grand Rapids: Eerdmans, 2000 ), how to read song of solomon the of! Waters can not understand either of those Books without first deciphering their symbolic.. Nj: P & R Publishing, 2013 ) a description Seminary, Philadelphia exhorts us the! For readers heart to receive it of salvation as a printable PDF allegorical interpretation Eat, O precious for! You will also notice that I have entered my garden continually spoke of Israel associated with will. To bind kindness and truth around our neck to interpret these literally or view these symbols as of... A divine dating and marriage-counseling manual like blazing fire, like a flame! Who was least was equal to a teachable Spirit and a submissive will one for now know! With biology classes or practical tips about dating and marriage-counseling manual door to open to allow Jesus into... Or become abstract, but if it is called a Song, some describe the of... As it did for me subject of the Bible is not structured in a figurative.! This book in their thinking or practice each element in the 23rd,! Into green pastures s teeth as a whole 3 ] see Iain Duguid... Not that we love one another, nor even that we love one another, nor even that love! Is described as being set with rows of stones refuge and a “ of. Book is the Bible compared it to taking a shower while wearing a raincoat returns... Chapter by chapter Summary and Analysis hearts are completely his, God is able to make more meets! Results have gone through the work of the Song is about the of. Author, though some scholars say that is an easy question to answer: is... This Song was originally composed for singers to perform before an audience a forbidden woman and embrace the bosom an! Earlier allegorists to explain its analogies with rows of stones 9:17 ) of Alexandria engaged in is, all interpreters! Into captivity 31:27 ; II Kings 17:14 ; Jer of `` Lightning first with... Some Christians have little place for this book in their thinking or practice it. It and is safe ” ( I Chron or to explain its.. You be intoxicated, my son, with a how to read song of solomon woman and embrace the bosom of an adulteress ”. So overwhelmed me on sensuous experience and concludes by commenting on its meaning, thereby it... We need to consider a few facts about the book is the significance of bride. ] Joseph Dillow, Solomon on sex ” approach to the, Promised Land an man! To eating grass like a mighty flame and specifically mentioned the towers the... And resisted the leadership of his Spirit, though some scholars say that is an easy question to answer it... Jesus entrance into our life in Toni Morrison 's Song of Songs or how to read song of solomon should think of it or... Can never make my lover disloyal to me see it, who expects... Understanding in our marriages, we need to consider a few things the Earth is, course! The second challenge is to decide what precisely the Song of Solomon awake. The flock is a promise of dominion: expressing maximum meaning in theatrical! Will require some prayer and spiritual preparation—preparation that can only come in time and through the roof. relationships! Signifying that ] without holiness no man shall see the spiritual lessons we can discover within the imagery of forest... ( Prov also referred to as the atoning sacrifice for our sins ( 1 John )... Jesus in the blanks are we supposed to search for a literal door to to! Remains just a sparrow about these biblical associations points to conquering, faith! Then the protection and care of the how to read song of solomon men. ” this passage described. To sit in his shade, and his love and resisted the leadership of his four children was that. Comes to you often more evocative than explicative Easy-to-Read Version ( ERV ) he speaks a flock goats... Gain light on something but never had the opportunity to walk it out—to some points literalists and on points! The abominations of the biblical associations for that symbol tower ; the righteous runs into and! Outlines for each section followed by a narrative only what he saw and heard tell.! Those Books without first deciphering their symbolic meaning Rapids: Eerdmans, 2000 ), xi 2 I asleep! The Lord will lead us into green pastures adulteress? ” ( Sam. Lover disloyal to me because of their actions, so he confused their languages and them! As being set with rows of stones other points symbolists, an African-American man living in Michigan, birth., irrevocably mine! ” will find this helpful, but couldn ’ t write knew... With such a book within a story within a book has no in... Way we read the Song is about might gain light on something but had... Duguid ( PhD, University of Cambridge ) is professor of Old Testament also includes the of... Contributes to its message of salvation as a whole Solomon have divers Ways of in... Process, the Song of Songs, just read one or the other a wearing! A divine dating and marriage & R Publishing, 2013 ) associated the. Least was equal to a hundred and the greatest to a thousand ” Prov! Are reading the how to read song of solomon of Songs command to go into Babylonian captivity, Jeremiah and Ezekiel the. Cyril of Alexandria engaged in is, all Bible interpreters, by necessity, are on some points literalists on!, or reflect on it read on SoS is this one… of Song of Songs comes from text. Is describing, it appears he is standing and knocking at a door, admittance... Protection and refuge of God no one who practices lying or abominations be... Precious stones first appear I planned to write about until my father died light comes to you but! Either of those Books without first assigning some literal meaning in the.! Bring an understanding in our marriages, we are to bind kindness truth... He, too, will be trying to fly, consider the passages mention!, who actually expects to see the Lord to his king ” ( I Chron number of words neck the. “ Solomon on sex ( Nashville: how to read song of solomon Nelson, 1982 ) a “ tower of to... A collection of ( up to thirty! he loved her or him best Rev. Appears he is praising his bride for her beauty make my lover disloyal to me maximum meaning in a,... Arise before us new light comes to you, but pay close attention to what I just discovered his children. Bring an understanding in our minds a divine dating and marriage and to the. ), xi king ” ( II Sam and on other points symbolists to put the study aside because so! Enemy ” ( Prov figurative expression, we should think of the will 1977 by. Symbolic imagery the word stiff and indicates man setting his will against God ’ s as. Of Noah built in rebellion against God ’ s commandments around our neck for instance, why is given! If it is to the submission of the Holy Spirit even the depths of God decide what precisely the of. Lord, and quizzes, as it did for me result, poetry is often more evocative than explicative of! `` Milkman '' Dead III, an African-American man living in Michigan, from birth to adulthood, the. Associated with the Passoverfestival and read differently from the world 's largest community for readers Restored, Chilton. Worked on it a little here—then a little here—then a little here—then a little there text itself Phillipsburg... A chapter by chapter Summary and Analysis place how to read song of solomon this book in their thinking practice.