My hard drive is spinning all the time like it's doing something when it's not cause performance monitor shows no activity and while this is happening I cannot acces any file on drive or copy. So i'm running debian 7 wheezy and i have xfce version, I have unticked the box in power setting that enable the spinning down of hard disks to save power but i can still hear the hard drive spin up every few minutes. If you have a DELL machine, you can get into your BIOS settings, and set the Hard Drive to Quiet mode, that way you wont hear the incessant clicking. I can't tell which one is spinning up. Windows 7 Pro hangs with spinning circle (hourglass) - posted in Windows 7: Windows 7 Pro on a refurbished Dell Optiplex 780 hangs after entering the user password. Our last gotcha has to do with the size of 2.5 inch SSDs. I am running windows 7, and in my power profile it is set to never let the hard drives sleep. I'm also trying to track down the offending process using procmon and Resource Monitor, and it actually seems like a system process. Laptop hard drive keeps spinning up and down. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understand our Cookie Policy, Privacy Policy, and our Terms of Service. Difficulty Level: Medium. My hard drive has recently begun spinning for apparently no reason. About once a week or whenever my PC restarts, the hard drive will start and stop spinning continuously for about 6 hours then stop. hdd spins up randomly when no one is touching the computer. In Windows 7 or 8, there will often be a click sound coming from the drive, which is similar to the sound when the PC shuts a drive off following the Power Management settings for spinning down drives, but this is not the cause, as I have set this to "Never" in settings. Sounds like Vista is going to eat through hard drives then. maybe samsung has a program to do this as well, not sure. I have never been a fan of a hard drive spinning up and down a lot. The hotfix for nvidia chipset didn't work for me. Why it is more dangerous to touch a high voltage line wire where current is actually less than households? Hi All, I recently changed my setup from having a single 1TB primary to a 128GB Crucial M4 128GB 2.5” primary / Windows drive. I am very good with computers, but I haven't been able to figure this one out. hard drive keeps spinning up during idle, even in safe mode in Drivers and Hardware New laptop, windows 10 home. note that the settings are reset every time you reboot. Applies to: Fix hard drive clicking, repair hard disk clicking sound, and make clicking internal/external hard drive work normally without losing any data. most of the stuff under "roaming" is the firefox stuff, which I have managed to put them under control by ramdisk. Windows 7 x64 1TB HDD keeps spinning & cannot copy. The hard drive on my HP Pavilion laptop went out not too long ago and recently I decided to attempt replacing it myself. Could I get in trouble for insulting an arbiter during a tournament round? Why is windows constantly reading my harddisk? I know there is an option in power options to disable this, and it has been disabled for months on my Windows 8 install, and its still set to never even on Windows 10, yet the drive keeps spinning down. I would generally just have a hard drive set to no spin down, and let Windows put the computer to sleep when you want to. It happens about every 3 minutes or so, all day and night. External hard drive keeps freezing issue can be solved now. I have Dell Inspiron 580S running Windows 7. Though it may run when the computer is idle, constant indexing can decrease the shelf life of a hard drive through normal wear & tear. Did you notice that on Windows 7 (I use 64-bit) the hard drive LED is constantly blinking, which means that the OS is constantly wearing the hard drive by accessing it? Oh... and the external HDD is Lacie d2 quadra 1TB, Windows 7 x64 1TB HDD keeps spinning & cannot copy. Stop indexing service and Disable superfetch You can probably turn off both at the same time by following the instructions at the superfetch link to launch services.msc and change the Startup … I have a 2TB Seagate external hard drive connected via USB to my Late-2013 iMac. ... My hard drive is spinning all the time like it's doing something when it's not cause performance monitor shows no activity and while this is happening I cannot acces any file on drive or copy. I don't have any applications running just a browser. This should fix startup stuck on the spinning circle in Windows 10. How is HTTPS protected against MITM attacks by other countries? Is there a word for the object of a dilettante? Podcast Episode 299: It’s hard to get hacked worse than this. Open Disk Defragmenter by clicking the Start button . I don't know about yall, but the hard drive seems to be the common failure point for my computers. Is your hard drive making noise once you boot up your computer? This begins the moment I push my power button to power up the PC. What is the inscription on this statue and what is its translation into English? Why does wprintf transliterate Russian text in Unicode into Latin on Linux? A HD will only spin down (stop spinning) if turned off by "Power Manager". rev 2020.12.18.38240, The best answers are voted up and rise to the top, Super User works best with JavaScript enabled, Start here for a quick overview of the site, Detailed answers to any questions you might have, Discuss the workings and policies of this site, Learn more about Stack Overflow the company, Learn more about hiring developers or posting ads with us. I have read a lot already from people with the same problem. Please answer my first question: have any of you have seen a Windows 7 machine whose hard drive LED is at rest? Dead Hard Drive Recovery Case Study: Breaking the Spin Cycle. One can feel a slight vibration upon touching the hard drive, and if the vibration is not there, the hard disk is not detected or did not start. Product: HP notebook Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit) My hard drive on my notebook (product number M7572AV) spins all the time, even when I push the "on"/"off" button to shut it down. I detail the steps below. One for Windows 8, one for Windows 7 and one for data. How do I keep my drive from going to sleep and unmounting? Changing the power plan. probalbly the indexing service, virus scanner or some bad programmed tool constantly reading some file. I'm confused that the situation seems to come and go so suddenly, without any reason I can figure out. We found many effective solutions to revive from the frozen external hard drive. If this persists, there are a few extra places to look into: size of swap file and messed up update catalog, which might need to be deleted. I am running Vista Ultimate 32bit and every 30 seconds or so, one of my hard drives keeps spinning down, then sits idle until it needs to use it again (usually within 30 seconds or so). I've only seen that on Dell systems though. I can hear a drive spinning up to full speed every few minutes. Supported OS: Windows 10/8/7, Windows Vista/XP, etc. It's something related to the system process, and it even occurs in safe mode, so I don't think it's a third party software problem. The player seems to be working fine with my hard drive, but it never stops spinning even once I eject it or shut the WD Live player off, or both. Windows 7 Forums is the largest help and support community, providing friendly help and advice for Microsoft Windows 7 Computers such as Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. Tags (2) My iMac is set not to go to sleep but will go into a standby state (monitor off) when idle. But then the drive would stop, and spin down again, dying in its owner’s arms and leaving them empty-handed. Superfetch is another culprit you can check. RC integrator: why does it convert a triangular wave into a sine wave? I have the same question ... hard drive keeps spinning, 24/7, even when I … Whenever your external hard drive freezes computer or Windows Explorer, and you could not access files, do not worry. I have 3 hard drives. It saves a little energy, but it will the drive faster IMO spinning up and down all the time. It's loading system DLLs, accessing registry keys, and other nonsense. Rotational hard drives usually remain spinning, because it takes quite a long time for them to get up to speed. Not the capacity, the …