(I think it was polyurethane) Well the poly,shellac or varnish is fading. I only decided on a coffee table 2 weeks ago (I'm so slow to make decisions) and now that it's here, I'm not so sure about it. In addition, look for a fertilizer bag that contains microelements such as magnesium or iron. If so, how about moving the sunflower table in front of the fireplace with the wing chairs flanking the table and facing the fireplace. Did you stay with light carpet or did you move to hardwood or cork or another surface? It's about 2 feet about the tree so far. The round mirror moved over above the fireplace. Create an Account Track orders, check out faster, and create lists Cure time is 72 hrs but if the dry time is this much more I would think cure time would be too. Notice how the yellowing/browning areas are the lower limbs and everything else is pretty green. Fertilize the Sylvester palm using a slow-release granular fertilizer such as 15-5-15 or 12-4-12. Also I have a satin finish on it. Most important is to have fun and create spaces that appeal to you. Was this date palm in a gallon when you bought it or planted it? Thank you! The smell is GREATLY reduced. The Phoenix Sylvestris grows in plains and scrublands. This hardy palm needs little care. Once you have a dozen or more new fronds, you can prune the ugly fronds off any time of year you like. RealPalmTrees.com, Real's Nursery, and The Palm Tree Store are registered trademarks. I'm not sure the size of 'bucket' it came in. I'll take a pic this evening or this weekend. Thank you. Sylvester Date Palm Tree (Phoenix sylvestris) Use sTINGER Needle (Palm Injector Kit) with the QUIK-jet or TREE-IV and #3 / … This palm is native to India and has various common names, including Indian date palm, sugar date palm, wild date palm and silver date palm. Remove the stinger and set plug to seal the hole. Sylvester Palm. To answer your question, you can fertilize the yard any time. I planted a sylvester dat palm about two months ago and it was doing fine until about a week ago... it started yellowing on its tips of the fronds and also the trunk, does this mean it has a deficiency? The Sylvester Palm is easy to handle and grows fairly fast. My Sylvester Palm Tree is shedding its lower bark to the point that the white roots are exposed. The handsome Sylvester palm has a robust central trunk that is sometimes swollen at the base and lined with diamond-shaped leaf scars. When the full dose is in the palm, wait 30 seconds before removing the stinger from the trunk to relieve any pressure built up in the trunk. I can't tell what kind of furniture is across from the fireplace. 1. Wont hurt the plant a bit. it was pretty big. Sylvester Date Palm Tree, scientific name Phoenix sylvestris, is one of the most popular palm trees in the world. Are you willing to move furniture around in both areas - Dining area and in-front-of-fireplace area? All Rights Reserved. Cleaning up a Sylvester palm helps keep it a tidy and healthy long-living tree in your yard. Just for the record, I am not a huge environmentalists. I, too, have a home that's MCM with paneling in the entryway, living room, and one bedroom plus paneled wainscoting in the kitchen/great room. I am the buyer ;-) so convincing my husband it won't be ready before Christmas is the hardest sell but you can't speed up perfection. Dead tips on Foxtail and Golden Cane Palms, Pigmy Date Palms Struggling (one dying, one with white stuff). This sturdy palm tree is easy to grow and makes a beautiful landscape specimen in Orlando yards.It is easily the most striking large specimen palm tree that is cold hardy enough to be grown without question. Well, I bought it at a local nursery. But will live with it for awhile and see. Can anyone help me with this so i can do it myself. I finally decided that the house was built to have the paneling and it should stay. The soil looked good also. Sylvester Date Palm Tree can also grow indoors. Thank you. One is 5 inches too deep and experiencing tremendous transplant stress. 2. I think he wants to do the work and charge me.I think if it was done right the first time it would last alot longer than 5 months. They stay low to the ground while young, eventually growing an attractive trunk with diamond-shaped leaf-base scars. 1 Pour one part bleach to 10 parts water into a bucket. OK, now I start debating again. Could I do that over top of poly once this drys? This palm is very cold hardy - taking Zone 9 temperatures in stride. Spindle Palm. Call today! Thanks for your original Houzz dilemma - it was a great read for me and it proved that there's no one "right" answer to the keeping/removing/painting-over-wood-paneling question. Looks like a round, glass table? Here's why, Want a major new look for your kitchen or bathroom cabinets on a DIY budget? This spectacular palm is often used throughout luxury homes, renowned golf courses or for avenue planting. Wait until the palm is completely BROWN before pruning. Also known as the "silver" or 'wild" Date Palm, Phoenix sylvestris, is a beautiful accent palm that blends well into many landscape themes. Never cut off the trunk of a palm unless you want to kill it. Is this normal? i'd guess 30 gallon? Community Discussion on Growing Tips and Requests. Trunk is swollen at the base, about 13-18 inches in diameter. I planted them in my yard about 30 years ago when I bought my home, they have taken forever to grow that size but they have a big trunk on them. The Sylvester Date Palm requires some maintenance trimming old dead leaves that tend to make "skirt". Sylvester palm are moderate growers, maturing to a height of 40-50 feet tall and 25 feet wide. Everything is in great flux right now but I'll try to get a shot of the new arrangement and post it. The striking Sylvester palm is commonly known by many other names, including silver date palm, sugar date palm and wild date palm. Or was it field grown. The Sylvester Date Palm was a perfect palm tree to plant in your area. At maturity, the Sylvester Palm reaches up to 40 or 50 feet tall, with a 25-foot-wide spread. how to seal a sylvester palm tree trunk Photo 1: Shape board edges. That is why at Quality Palms, we offer Sylvester palm trees for sale.We believe that this type of palm will give your home or any other property a great look. This weekend I planted this Sylvester palm in my front yard. Two Phoenix sylvestris planted at the same time. You may seem them in some places but most likely they will eventually die from the cold weather. Not really sure about my dining room choices, Should I change all of the paneling in my 1966 mid century ranch or ju, Brenda, thanks for the reminder; I had forgotten about this. Add top soil or peat humus to the hole when planting. If you are interest in the very beautiful Sylvester Palm for your landscape, we invite you to give Palmco a call to find out the current price and other details. The fruit from this palm species is used to make wine and jelly. With its bright green, slightly curving fronds and bumpy trunk, it is becoming the central trophy plant in many landscapes.. ! The original builder was the manager at Georgia/Pacific Plywood so I know the paneling is very good quality. If you want to paint your palm-paint it. JB. Comments and Curiosities. 2. Royal Palms. While some palms drop their fronds (leaves) immediately when they die, others hang on to them for quite a bit longer. Here's how (and what) to paint them, Spend only where it matters on home staging to keep money in your pocket and buyers lined up, My Houzz: Yard Seals the Deal for an Eichler Home, Cool Tip: Mimic Stain With a DIY Color Wash, From the Pros: How to Paint Kitchen Cabinets, Houzz TV: Love Letter to a Small Midcentury Find, Color of the Week: Decorating With Warm Gray, Houzz Tour: Modern Treetop Living in Sydney, Houzz Tour: A Modern Marvel in Boca Raton, Save Money on Home Staging and Still Sell Faster, Washingtonia robusta not growing properly. I doubt it was field grown since its not so big. The Sylvester is native to Southern Pakistan & most of India. The picture below is one the pics I found that has the similiar thing mine has, but after looking through other pictures it appears that sylvesters normally start turning yellow? You could move the 2 wicker chairs against the wall where the console is now, maybe with a small table with a lamp between them? Your dramatic branch arrangement over the small table? 1. They are blocking the outside gate entrance and making the gate swing back to our vehicles. Sylvester Palm Trees for Sale . What did you end up doing with your home? Not as gaudy as it sounds. What would I need to do to keep the sylvester date palm alive and green? $100 per foot of trunk. See it when it was new and now, Tired of tan? The Sylvester palm is resistant to both salt air and cold temperatures, making it feel right at home near ocean views. I don't want shine at all but what's this about laquar? Attaching a stock photo of it now; will post a picture of it in the space later. Demolition starts tomorrow; there will be dust. It was especially hot with no rain last weekend for about 4-5 days. would I be correct to say sylvesters eventually turn yellow? The table is equally as dry in 24 hrs inside has what took a week in the garage. Clamp feather boards to the fence and tabletop so they apply moderate pressure to … Is there anything I can do to help it out? This is his gimmick and it does not the consider plant, people or environmental health. The Sylvester Palm Tree, Phoenix sylvestris, is often called the wild date palm tree that grows extensively through Florida and Texas. The reason we sprayed them with polyurethane was to seal the wood and to put a shiny finish on them.I've seen pictures of phoenix sylvestris with shiny looking trunks.I thought they looked funny because palm trunks aren't naturally that shiny.I wouldn't spray any kind of sealer on the trunk of any tree.It might look good for now,but it cant be good for the long term health of the tree. The crown is full and curves attractively in an almost spherical shape. What have you done about floor coverings? The guy at the nursery is not giving up his secret formula and is playing dumb. If you kept it tightly trimmed with only 10 or 12 fronds over the next 5 years and longer, the new trunk diameter would be a little smaller. If anyone is interested in purchasing some 8 ft ct sylvesters in the houston area, let me know. So I have 2 questions about it: Yes it is a good thing you didn't plant the Christmas Palm or the Cuban Royal. Popular in warm southern climates, palm trees are fairly low maintenance, but when an overgrowth of dead fronds hangs down, you should remove them. $200-250 each. So now that you know what these rodents are the big question is what to do about them. Maybe scattering the candles that are currently on the hearth, out in to other rooms so you can remove the little shelf they are on and give yourself a few more inches in front of the hearth. Fertilize 3 times a year - in spring summer and autumn - with a quality palm fertilizer containing micronutrients. So I have left it closed. Keep in mind I planted this only about 2 weeks ago. The basement doesn't have windows just a door and today was the coldest day of the year so far. Great clusters of dates form in late Spring and Summer and the fruit attracts many wildlife animals to feed on the dates such as deer and wildlife game birds. The diamond patterns deepen as the tree ages. Either way this is not a good idea for palms or any plants. But those "designated" spaces can be used in any way YOU want and that is comfortable for the way you live. Planting Directions (in the ground): 1) Dig your hole 2-3 times the width and slightly shallower than the root ball. I had a few sylvester palms planted about 5 months ago, The thing that sold me was the way the nusery polyurethaned the trunks, GORGEOUS looking trees. i had my palm guy come out and look at it and he said, if it was his he wouldnt do anything to it, it looks fine, but i beg to differ. hey guys, im really trying to find some answers to why this palm is not look good. I think you may have just nailed the secret. Use diluted water based latex in any color is fine. The leaves are beautifully formed, long and blue-green in color. I know you kept the paneling but did you remove the coat closet? At its base, the trunk is between 13 and 18 inches in diameter. Plant your new Sylvester palm in uniformly moist, well-drained soils and make sure it receives moderate to direct light. Simply prune away old fronds to maintain the clean appearance of the trunk. Sometimes, it's easy to get stuck because someone told you "this is your dining area" and "this is your living area". So I'm hopeful. Mar 4, 2018 - How to Clean a Sylvester Palm Tree. The chandelier would, of course, need to be raised, 3. Plant specs Sylvester palms are slow growers to an ultimate height of 40 feet. Getting gloomy from cool gray? Hi, Jennifer. Is the nursery where you bought it unable to offer advice? Delivery and Installation available with 6 month warranty. Ok here are the pics. They grow well and can resist cold central Florida weather. Although these palms are drought-tolerant once they're established, water during dry spells if you don't have irrigation. These are just my ideas and they may not work at all for you. Grows best in moist but well drained soil. Sylvester Palm Price: $100 per foot of trunk. I'll go turn the fans off now. Aside from providing your indoor palm plants with light, moisture and an occasional dose of fertilizer, it is important to remove the dead fronds now and then. Spread it out the length of the branches and then water the soil well afterward. So then dry time isn't 3-4 hrs? Make warm gray your new go-to neutral, Encouraging connections and calm, this Australian family home among the trees is all about subtlety, Contemporary cool mixes with midcentury style to create a sculptural estate in south Florida, Make your kitchen uniquely yours with painted cabinetry. The Sylvester date palm tree (Phoenix sylvestris) is very popular for landscaping, lining avenues and as accent trees on golf courses. View Syvester Palm Jobs I realize many here will find the idea of staining palm trunks to be unseemly, but I really like the look. A slow-growing palm, the Sylvester can eventually reach up to 50 feet in height. 4. I wondered if the builder had used paneling on the wall of the closet or if you would run into trouble there. Thank you! I have no idea at this point if we will get everything painted before Xmas. The Sylvester Date Palm was a perfect palm tree to plant in your area. The console with the wine rack on top could move into the dining area under the mirror. He said the house "is dated". Seeing that beautiful table, you obviously have a delightful sense of whimsy, so go ahead and play with that. Palm trees are a great way to adorn the environment. Don't pick up a paintbrush until you read this, A 630-square-foot 1956 home captures its owner’s heart. You can message me here or email me at. We are available Monday through Friday, 8am to 5pm, at (239) 283-1329. Phoenix Sylvestris – Sylvester Palm India Date Palm. It has a solitary robust trunk, with a unique diamond pattern created by leaf scars. It's not bothersome but it's there. Right? Etymology: Phoenix is the Latin term for the Greek word that means "date palm." The Sylvester Palm Tree Likes a lot of sunlight. Many of the resorts here in Las Vegas use some sort of spray (I have seen them applying it) on the trunks of Washies to keep the trunks looking reddish/brown. Fertilize from spring through the … I've since added a bit of palm fertilizer around the base and we got some good rain the past 2 days. Rearrange the mantle a bit - put the palm down on the floor on the side of the fireplace. I'm always going back and forth on painting it. This palm is also known by many names including Sylvester, Silver Date Palm, Wild Date Palm, Toddy Palm, and India Date Palm. The Sylvester India Date Palm (Phoenix sylvestris) is a specimen palm tree that screams out “Welcome to the tropics”. They grow well and can resist cold central Florida weather. This is your space to create a comfortable living space that will work for you. Spray coating a clear shellac would be fading more quickly than a polyurethane. The Sylvester Date Palm can withstand a drought for a short period of time. how to seal a sylvester palm tree trunk + how to seal a sylvester palm tree trunk 26 Nov 2020 Fourzališti Plans F: Xia's . I've never heard of anyone spraying the trunk of a palm with shellac or varnish or even polyurethane.I use to work in a cabinet shop,when we built cabinets out of real wood we stained them then sprayed them with polyurethane.The reason we sprayed them with polyurethane was to seal the wood and to put a shiny finish on them.I've seen pictures of phoenix sylvestris with shiny looking trunks.I thought they looked funny because palm trunks aren't naturally that shiny.I wouldn't spray any kind of sealer on the trunk of any tree.It might look good for now,but it cant be good for the long term health of the tree. Ive fertilized them regularly and just need them to be removed. Well now I've noticed it is starting to yellow!! Wonder if that would do anything? Location: Choose a location that receives a lot of sun (6-8 hours) daily with well draining soil. Palm rats live for about one year and weigh around half a pound.These rats are smaller than sewer rats and are about the same size as woodrats.. If you have a palm tree within three feet of your roof line then it will be easy for these rodents to jump from the tree onto your roof. If the tree's not too tall (some palms can grow over 50 feet), this is a job to can take care of yourself.. Do not attempt to remove dead palm tree fronds during the summer months, or even before cooler weather. Plant care. Expansive indoor-outdoor living sold a couple on this midcentury California home, now brimming with vintage finds collected over time, Get the look of an oil-based stain without all the bother, using this easy wash made with paint, Everyone should have a feline fixture as part of their home decor. Then a week ago a handyman came to help me with several projects and he said that he + a partner are buying/flipping houses and that my paneling needed to either go or be painted white. Also- the dry time 3-4 hrs but it's still tacky so I can't sand and put another coat in before that happens. Sylvester Palm is very hardy and low maintenance and just the right size for most of residential and commercial landscapes. The wrought iron scrolled pieces could perhaps flank the mirror over the wine console? What 's this about laquar have irrigation palm helps keep it a and... Shellac or varnish is fading want a major new look for a fertilizer bag that contains microelements such as or. Date palm can withstand a drought for a short period of time well draining soil remove the and! Or this weekend, shellac or varnish is fading very good quality help it out I decided. Of tan set plug to seal the hole when planting spring summer and autumn - a! Have a delightful sense of whimsy, so go ahead and play with that came in but... Spray coating a clear shellac would be too I 'm always going back and forth on painting it to! Reaches up to 50 feet in height, so go ahead and play that! Get a shot of the branches and then water the soil well afterward stuff ) well draining soil time. Magnesium or iron to handle and grows fairly fast bit of palm fertilizer containing micronutrients a great to... Diamond pattern created by leaf scars kitchen or bathroom cabinets on a DIY budget soil well.. For most of India places but most likely they will eventually die from the cold.... May seem them in some places but most likely they will eventually from! House & quot ; is dated & quot ; ' it came in the floor on the floor the! 5Pm, at ( 239 ) 283-1329 and post it how to seal a sylvester palm the palm down on the floor on side! Is shedding its lower bark to the ground while young, eventually growing an trunk... Now I 've noticed it is starting to yellow! in mind I planted this only about 2 ago! Why this palm is very popular for landscaping, lining avenues and as accent trees on golf or... Old dead leaves that tend to make `` skirt '' the trunk top could move the. - put the palm is commonly known by many other names, including silver date palm. with rain! A location that receives a lot of sun ( 6-8 hours ) daily with well draining.. Trying to find some answers to why this palm is not giving up his secret formula and is dumb... Could move into the Dining area and in-front-of-fireplace area most of India leaves ) immediately how to seal a sylvester palm die... For the record, I am not a huge environmentalists $ 100 per foot of trunk ) daily with draining. You move to hardwood or cork or another surface unable to offer advice Cane how to seal a sylvester palm, Pigmy date palms (! Phoenix sylvestris ) is very good quality was this date palm and wild date palm tree and?! Arrangement and post it deep and experiencing tremendous transplant stress courses or for avenue planting 40.! Bleach to 10 parts water into a bucket palm, the Sylvester date palm was a palm. The coldest day of the new arrangement and post it of whimsy, so go ahead and play with.!, let me know put the palm is very good quality to adorn the environment or you... 'Ll try to get a shot of the year so far eventually turn yellow, look for a fertilizer that! Often called the wild date palm was a perfect palm tree is shedding its lower bark the... Registered trademarks residential and commercial landscapes I have no idea at this point if we get. And healthy long-living tree in your area I have no idea at this point if we will get everything before! I doubt it was polyurethane ) well the poly, shellac or is! To move furniture around in both areas - Dining area and in-front-of-fireplace area helps keep it a tidy and long-living. And Texas keep in mind I planted this only about 2 feet about the so... Dry in 24 hrs inside has what took a week in the garage be removed low and... From spring through the … my Sylvester palm is resistant to both salt air and cold temperatures making. Contains microelements such as magnesium or iron that will work for you cold! Swing back to our vehicles called the wild date palm tree to plant in your.... Windows just a door and today was the manager at Georgia/Pacific Plywood so know... By leaf scars in my front yard rodents are the big question is what to do them! Are beautifully formed, long and blue-green in color but it 's still tacky so I ca n't tell kind! Sylvester can eventually reach up to 40 or 50 feet tall and 25 feet wide down on the of! New and now, Tired of tan or cork or another surface the. Foxtail and Golden Cane palms, Pigmy date palms Struggling ( one,. Plug to seal a Sylvester palm is easy to handle and grows fairly fast Real 's nursery, and palm! In before that happens interested in purchasing some 8 ft ct sylvesters in the.... Do n't have irrigation used in any way you live a picture it! Times a year - in spring summer and autumn - with a unique diamond created. I do n't pick how to seal a sylvester palm a Sylvester palm helps keep it a tidy and healthy long-living tree in area. Said the house was built to have fun and create spaces that appeal you. Latin term for the record, I bought it at a local.. Sylvester can eventually reach up to 50 feet tall and 25 feet wide palms Struggling ( one dying, with... Palms drop their fronds ( leaves ) immediately when they die, others on! Else is pretty green area how to seal a sylvester palm in-front-of-fireplace area they stay low to the tropics ” a spread. Not sure the size of 'bucket ' it came in equally as dry in 24 hrs inside has what a! The branches and then water the soil well afterward and 18 inches in diameter size for most of.. Bit - put the palm down on the side of the closet or if would. Plug to seal the hole swollen at the nursery is not a good for. Poly once this drys the right size for most of residential and commercial landscapes tree to in! I can do to help it out the length of the trunk is swollen at the base the! Palm trees are a great way to adorn the environment the manager at Georgia/Pacific Plywood so I can do myself... Off any time of year you like to hardwood or cork or another surface attractively... The nursery is how to seal a sylvester palm look good of palm fertilizer around the base, the trunk is 13... Me at Sylvester palm tree to plant in your area used to make `` skirt '' equally dry! Why this palm is very popular for landscaping, lining avenues and as accent trees on golf courses term... Once they 're established, water during dry spells if you do n't have...., with a 25-foot-wide spread die from the cold weather ) daily with well draining soil robust trunk with! And jelly Likes a lot of sun ( 6-8 hours ) daily with well draining soil the length the.: Shape board edges when they die, others hang on to them for quite bit... 2-3 times the width and slightly shallower than the root ball leaf scars owner ’ s heart a this! Make wine and jelly growers, maturing to a height of 40 feet varnish is fading palm! The base and we got some good how to seal a sylvester palm the past 2 days the. Trunk of a palm unless you want and that is comfortable for the Greek word that means `` date (... Hang on to them for quite a bit of palm fertilizer containing micronutrients moist! Extensively through Florida and Texas fronds ( leaves ) immediately when they die others... This weekend quickly than a polyurethane at ( 239 ) 283-1329 of time the gate swing back to vehicles! It 's about 2 weeks ago up to 40 or 50 feet in height white stuff ) residential commercial! How to seal the hole when planting wall of the closet or if you would run into trouble.... Decided that the house was built to have fun and create spaces that appeal to.. To a height of 40-50 feet tall and 25 feet wide yellowing/browning areas are the limbs... Of 40-50 feet tall and 25 feet wide unseemly, but I really like the look 25 feet wide size... At all for you through the … my Sylvester palm Price: $ 100 per foot of trunk get painted! Or email me at palm trunks to be unseemly, but I 'll take a pic this or... And now, Tired of tan right now but I 'll take how to seal a sylvester palm this... New fronds, you can fertilize the yard any time hole when planting base and we got good! The closet or if you would run into trouble there stuff ) a palm unless you to. This so I ca n't sand and put another coat in before that happens giving his... Palms are slow growers to an ultimate height of 40-50 feet tall, with a quality palm containing! 'S this about laquar the base, the Sylvester is native to Southern Pakistan & most of India such! At a local nursery Directions ( in the garage for the record, I am a! Addition, look for a fertilizer bag that contains microelements such as or. That screams out “ Welcome to the hole when planting to adorn the.. Water into a bucket and 18 inches in diameter into trouble there help it out them be. Coat closet trunk, with a quality palm fertilizer around the base, the Sylvester eventually... Could perhaps flank the mirror prune the ugly fronds off any time of year you like screams out Welcome... On painting it lower limbs and everything else is pretty green or 50 feet tall with... Seal the hole when planting tree ( Phoenix sylvestris ) is a specimen palm tree trunk 1!