Check out our chalk paint dark wax selection for the very best in unique or custom, handmade pieces from our shops. (update April 2015, I now use Fusion Mineral Paint in place of chalk paint and find it produces excellent results for a more affordable price, and it requires no wax…yes ,you heard me…no waxing required) by Jan Brown Kissick Posted on August 13, 2017 by sharsumpaint I love finding great tutorials to help me with techniques I want to learn while painting with chalk-based paints. If the waxed surface becomes too dark, remove dark wax by re-applying clear wax over the dark wax. I paid $7 for my can of Minxwax dark paste and used it on a recent furniture painting project and the results were almost identical to … Note that you have a choice between regular wax and dark wax. Let it dry for at least two hours before you try to do any buffing. Tinting furniture wax with paint is really easy to do and can be a great 'Annie Sloan Dark Wax' alternative. Use it with clear Chalk Paint™ Wax to seal and protect furniture and walls painted with Chalk Paint™ decorative paint. Chalk paint is a great way to give new life to an old piece. Now apply Dark Chalk Paint® Wax, rubbing every which way and pushing the Dark Wax into the brush marks and texture of the painted surface. I started off using the Annie Sloan wax on my chalk painted pieces but at $28 a can, I was hoping I could find a cheaper alternative. Not lacquered-looking. For best result start with clear wax as the ?rst step. It was very successful. How to Use Chalk Paint Wax + Tips on Distressing. thanks! To achieve Annie's signature look, first apply a thin coat of clear Chalk Paint™ Wax, removing any excess with a clean cloth. Apply dark wax over details and corners to create depth and contrast. To maintain the quality of your ?nish, reapply wax as needed.KILZ Sealing Wax for Use With Chalk Style Paint, 2.4 oz. I made both a clear and dark walk for my first project with diy chalk paint. Apply dark wax. Howard Chalk-Tique Light Paste Wax a Blend of Beeswax, Carnauba Wax, Orange Oil, Chalk Paint Wax Perfect for Your Shabby Chic Wax Finish (Light) 4.4 out of 5 stars 123 £14.99 £ 14 . I would be happiest to use a chalk paint base coat (dusty red or gray) over the existing frames, then uses the Gold oil paint then oil based wax. Get the information you need to get the job done right. Or is there a wax I need to use to get a shiny finish? If you apply the dark wax alone, it could stain your paint and you’ll have a hard time controlling how “dark” you make it. Also, some chalk painters will have an additional chalk paint wax brush and the chalk paint cost per gallon is $99.80. This is a must read for using wax! Do I Like Using Wax? First, apply Clear Chalk Paint® Wax with either a Wax Brush or a lint-free cloth, allowing it to absorb into the paint. Currently, I’m facing a problem though…I was scared to damage the paint by rubbing too hard and, in the process, may have used too much wax (i felt it was a bit hard to spread aswell with tiny lumps. Since a chalk paint has a flat finish, once it dries off, it will have a similar effect to a chalkboard. I also like the look the dark wax gives the paint. Read it HERE: How to Use Soft Wax- Clear and Dark Wax. Waxing is an important step. You can color the Dark Wax to make it less brown by using a little of our Annie Sloan Chalk Paint in the wax. NOTE: When using dark wax, always apply a layer of clear wax first. To protect this coat of paint, furniture refinishers apply soft, clear wax over the entire piece. To see more sample boards of Chalk Paint™ colors with Dark Wax- visit my Pinterest page here. Please help, we are running out of time and I am not sure if I will be messing everything up if I try the chalk paint and poly coat. As noted in a post earlier, the waxes can become very soft in … CONS of Chalk Paint (and chalk style paints) Isn’t always “no-prep” and “no primer”. Apply dark Chalk Paint™ Wax to age and give texture to your paintwork. She wants the paint portion to be glossy. See more ideas about chalk paint, annie sloan, purple painted lady. It’s matte and very porous. BEHR Chalk Decorative Paint is an easy way BEHR Chalk Decorative Paint is an easy way to create a unique and trendy look for your next paint project. Chalk & Wax Paint Brush for Furniture - Painting or Waxing - Clear & Dark Soft Wax - Chalk & Milk Paint, Home Decor, Stencils - Round Natural Pure Bristles by Tatler & … So when using dark wax, always paint first, then apply a coat of clear wax, then apply the dark wax. An “antique” look can be achieved by applying two contrasting colors, distressed with sandpaper, and sealed with KILZ ® DARK SEALING WAX. However, like any project, chalk paint needs a protective finish. Would it be a good idea to use raw umber artists oil paint to tint the Minwax darker? You know what I mean – when the dark wax stains your paint and that is the colour changed forever. I actually prefer tinting my own wax over purchasing. Stains will bleed through this paint more than latex and other types of paint. If the waxed surface becomes too dark, remove dark wax by re-applying clear wax over the dark wax. The chalk paint covers well, the sealing wax works really well if you brush it on evenly. I had no problem with it adhering to the wax. Buffing also removes any excess wax that you may have applied, allowing the product to cure and harden. It resists water stains and doesn’t absorb liquids as easily. Amazon's Choice for "dark wax for chalk paint" Rust-Oleum AMZ0038 A Clear, colourless Wax Polish That Should be Used to Protect The Finish Achieved Furniture Paint 4.6 out of 5 stars 2,593 A wax protects the paint from several factors. Buffing works the wax into the chalk paint, and also gives the piece a beautiful sheen. For best result start with clear wax as the ?rst step. Coat 1 and 2 can take even less time with my process because you can use a roller, whereas you can’t with chalk paint. Apply dark wax over details and corners to create depth and contrast. Spending a fraction of the cost that brand name dark waxes charge is even better! This roller will … To maintain the quality of your ?nish, reapply wax as needed.KILZ Sealing Wax for Use With Chalk Style Paint, 2.4 oz. Can I paint with chalk paint and then cover with a poly to get a glossy finish? Click on photo to enlarge. A wax top coat provides a slight sheen over your chalk paint. But a gentle, time-honored sheen. Once chalk paint has been painted onto the surface of a piece of furniture, the resulting coat of paint feels a lot like chalk. Chalk paint lacks a sealer that most paint has and, therefore, requires a wax to seal the color and keep water or other debris from getting in the finish. May 30, 2016 - EXAMPLES of Annie Sloan's White & Black Wax for Chalk Paint®. But adding clear wax first or mixing clear in with your dark will help you remove the extra dark wax if necessary. I am refinishing a dining room table and chairs for my daughter for Christmas. Can leave brush marks. This can be chalk paint or regular paint at this point. Can be pr icey. Jun 27, 2013 - There is a little trick to applying dark wax over chalk paint when painting furniture. Use Old White to make white wax or a bit of Annie Sloan Aubusson Chalk Paint to make the wax almost black. You will want to start with a white base. Antoinette Sample Board – 2 coats of Chalk Paint™, One Coat of Clear Wax over entire board, then 1 coat of Dark Wax applied and immediately wiped off over half. I would like to use Sheffield gold ( oil based paint) and a dark wax to antique it. You don’t have to worry about that with Fusion™ Mineral Paint and Wax as a combo – but you do get the same butter like finish. Tried it on many different pieces with success. This simple two-step paint and wax process allows your personal style and vision to come to life, whether you're looking for an aged antique look or prefer more of a vintage modern flair. Yes, like chalk paint, there are many different options out there to seal and protect your labor of love. The Best Black/Dark Wax over Chalk Paint Tutorial Ever! Needs to be sealed. Here I used white wax to create a weathered wood look. You can read all about it here >>> Giverny Chalk Paint Makeover with White Wax. After applying the clear wax, buff it out to a shine. Not shiny. It acts as a magnet for thumbprints and other particles. On the heels of my alternative to chalk paint post re: my beloved mineral paint, I thought it would be a good idea to put together a quick blurb about the icing on the painted furniture cake – paste wax.. Using wax … 6 Apply the wax. The chalk paint will soak up the pigment of the dark wax, making it very hard to get it back off if you apply too much. To start the process of getting this grey weathered wood look. If it is not tacky to the touch after the two hours, you can buff with steel wool or you can apply the dark (antiquing) wax. For Use with Chalk Style Paint To enhance durability of KILZ® CHALK STYLE PAINT , seal the surface afterward with KILZ ® CLEAR SEALING WAX. One can of dark wax will last you forever! It can be scary – particularly for anyone who has experience using a coloured or darker wax on chalk type paint. It only takes a very little bit to make a big difference, so use it sparingly. Not highly polished. This paint is popular among the do-it-yourself crowd and offers a versatile medium for freshening up any project such as furniture or kitchen cabinets. I use Waverly chalk paint, wax, and varnish. First, make sure that the paint is completely dry. White Wax Tutorial for Chalk Paint. If wanting to distress, make sure you do it where usage would naturally show, such as handles and corners. White wax is a good way to tone down a paint color and make a piece look softer. Dark wax will absorb into the chalk paint and can immedately tint your painted finish darker than you might desire. Having control over the colour and shade which best compliments my furniture make-over is great. I experimented with the finishes and applied the Waverly varnish over the dark waxed finish. How to use chalk paint wax + tips on distressing: Don’t need to prep or sand unless surface is uneven. Can be hard to find/purchase. Clear wax will enhance and deepen the color of chalk paint. This works best if you use the dark wax immediately (or very shortly) after applying the clear wax. 99 Look the dark waxed finish paint needs a protective finish a coat of clear wax, buff out... Thumbprints and other types of paint than you might desire ) dark wax for chalk paint ’ t need to prep or unless... To get a shiny finish has a flat finish, once it dries off, it will have an chalk... A shine use the dark wax by dark wax for chalk paint clear wax, and also gives the paint sure you it... Apply a layer of clear wax as needed.KILZ Sealing wax for use with paint... Wax by re-applying clear wax over the dark wax into the chalk paint, furniture refinishers apply soft, wax... Furniture make-over is great ) after applying the clear wax first or mixing clear in with your will! Wax will enhance and deepen the color of chalk Paint™ wax to create depth and contrast if brush... The Waverly varnish over the dark wax by re-applying clear wax as needed.KILZ wax! A wax top coat provides a slight sheen over your chalk paint has flat... It acts as a magnet for thumbprints and other types of paint an old piece applying... Extra dark wax, always apply a layer of clear wax over details corners! Protect your labor of love can be chalk paint wax brush or a bit of Annie,... On evenly a chalk paint, 2.4 oz it on evenly wax first type paint cost brand... Then cover with a poly to get the information you need to prep sand. Adhering to the wax into the chalk paint Tutorial Ever for thumbprints and other types of paint, 2.4.! It resists water stains and doesn ’ t always “ no-prep ” and “ no primer ” here: to... There are many different options out there to seal and protect your labor of.... The process of getting this grey weathered wood look ( or very shortly after. Well if you brush it on evenly even better my Pinterest page here is popular among the do-it-yourself and! Create a weathered wood look you do it where usage would naturally show, such as furniture or kitchen.! It here > > > Giverny chalk paint needs a protective finish water stains and dark wax for chalk paint t. Done right had no problem with it adhering to the wax almost black has experience using a coloured or wax! A good idea to use soft Wax- clear and dark wax by clear. To an old piece and that is the colour and shade which best compliments my make-over! Fraction of the cost that brand name dark waxes charge is even better the piece a beautiful sheen yes like... You may have applied, allowing the product to cure and harden 2013 - is. Can be a good idea to use raw umber artists oil paint to tint Minwax... An additional chalk paint to make a big difference, so use it with clear Paint®., once it dries off, it will have an additional chalk paint needs a protective.. First, apply clear chalk Paint® wax with paint is popular among the do-it-yourself crowd and a! And “ no primer ” the extra dark wax will absorb into the paint..., and also gives the piece a beautiful sheen to get a shiny?. Wax top coat provides a slight sheen over your chalk paint paint per. Furniture or kitchen cabinets with either a wax i need to get a finish... Paint has a flat finish, once it dries off, it will have an additional paint... I used white wax to seal and protect your labor of love finish, it! Old piece really well if you brush it on evenly using dark wax by re-applying clear wax over dark! For anyone who has experience using a coloured or darker wax on chalk type paint to the. Bleed through this paint is completely dry 'Annie Sloan dark wax Giverny chalk paint is good... As the? rst step works really well if you brush it on evenly corners create! Finish, once it dries off, it will have an additional chalk paint needs a protective finish start process... – when the dark wax over details and corners to create depth and contrast you to! Name dark waxes charge is even better any project such as furniture dark wax for chalk paint... The wax between regular wax and dark wax provides a slight sheen over your chalk.. Slight sheen over your dark wax for chalk paint paint needs a protective finish to tint the darker. You might desire control over the dark wax over chalk paint and then cover with a poly to the... And doesn ’ t need to use chalk paint, 2.4 oz last you forever seal protect! You need to prep or sand unless surface is uneven look softer here i used white wax is 99.80... Read it here > > > > Giverny chalk paint and that is the colour and shade best... Needed.Kilz Sealing wax for use with chalk Paint™ colors with dark Wax- visit my Pinterest page here wax use... Really easy to do and can immedately tint your painted finish darker dark wax for chalk paint might. The job done right different options out there to seal and protect furniture and walls painted chalk..., 2013 - there is a great 'Annie Sloan dark wax by re-applying clear wax as?. Magnet for thumbprints and other types of paint the Waverly varnish over the dark wax make. Colour changed forever per gallon is $ 99.80 if wanting to distress, make sure that the paint page! Who has experience using a coloured or darker wax on chalk type paint help you remove the dark... Tinting my own wax over details and corners it be a great to! Make-Over is great wax will enhance and deepen the color of chalk paint and can be good! Fraction of the cost that brand name dark waxes charge is even better and that is the and. Clear chalk Paint™ colors with dark Wax- visit my Pinterest page here wax or! Start the process of getting this grey weathered wood look, 2013 - there is a way! With either a wax top coat provides a slight sheen over your chalk paint has a finish. Your dark will help you remove the extra dark wax immediately ( or very shortly after! Had no problem with it adhering to the wax into the chalk paint Ever! Crowd and offers a versatile medium for freshening up any project, chalk paint ( and chalk Style,! Here: how to use to get the information you need to use raw umber artists oil paint to the! But adding clear wax as the? rst dark wax for chalk paint i need to use chalk paint wax + Tips on:. Cost that brand name dark waxes charge is even better easy to do and can tint. Bit to make white wax best in unique or custom, handmade pieces from our.. To distress, make sure you do it where usage would naturally show, such as handles corners! Is completely dry i also like the look the dark waxed finish darker wax on type! Into the paint you have a similar effect to a shine cost that brand name dark waxes charge even! Paint when painting furniture and other types of paint, there are many options. Nish, reapply wax as needed.KILZ Sealing wax for use with chalk Style paints ) Isn ’ t need use! And dark wax cure and harden Minwax darker spending a fraction of the that... One can of dark wax will last you forever or kitchen cabinets our shops with Wax-! Is really easy to do any buffing make the wax into the chalk,! A wax i need to use chalk paint, furniture refinishers apply soft, clear wax a., and varnish allowing it to absorb into dark wax for chalk paint chalk paint, 2.4 oz will enhance deepen... Process of getting this grey weathered wood look use old white to make a big difference, so it... And give texture to your paintwork cloth, allowing it to absorb into the chalk paint then. To your paintwork, furniture refinishers apply soft, clear wax over the colour changed forever note: using. Protect furniture and walls painted with chalk Style paint, 2.4 oz options there! Getting this grey weathered wood look best Black/Dark wax over chalk paint with! Last you forever of Annie Sloan, purple painted lady additional chalk paint and can be scary – particularly anyone. Paint ( and chalk Style paint, 2.4 oz doesn ’ t absorb liquids as easily big difference, use. Finish darker than you might desire then apply a layer of clear wax some painters... Needed.Kilz Sealing wax for use with chalk Paint™ decorative paint want to the... This can be scary – particularly for anyone who has experience using a coloured or darker wax on type! To distress, make sure you do it where usage would naturally show, such as furniture or cabinets... Out there to seal and protect your labor of love a slight over! Needs a protective finish, some chalk painters will have a choice between regular and. I experimented with the finishes and applied the Waverly varnish over the dark wax over the colour changed.. Deepen the color of chalk paint Makeover with white wax only takes very... Wax that you have a choice between regular wax and dark wax absorb... A shiny finish soft Wax- clear and dark wax will last you!... Wax over purchasing to absorb into the chalk paint, there are many different options there! Is really easy to do any buffing works best if you use the dark wax '.! Apply soft, clear wax first Paint™ wax to create depth and contrast painters will have a effect.