Do not rub a pregnant women’s belly too much – this will cause the child to be spoiled/fussy. They have many beliefs that need to be followed to insure that the mother to be is carrying a perfectly healthy baby and will have an easy and successful delivery. It is based on two elements: the mother-to-be's lunar conception month and Chinese lunar age when the baby is conceived. I was therefore told by another pregnant women NOT to eat lychees because they are a “hot food”. There have been comments about me wearing make-up, nail polish, and high shoes. Apparently because my hair is so long, it is stealing nutrients from my unborn child. The doctors tug at my clothes, saying that they are too tight. Sorry, your blog cannot share posts by email. Required fields are marked *. Po Ge Lai (Chinese Postpartum Recovery): 10 “Rules” to Follow. This could negatively influence the u baby. Napier │ New Zealand's 1930s Art Decor City, Mitai Maori Village │ Maori Cultural Experience, Dig Your Own Spa Pool │ Hot Water Beach, Waiheke to Coromandel: New Zealand Road Trip, A Must-See on Waiheke Island: Casita Miro, Music and Memories│ Circular Quay, Sydney, A Perfect Day Trip from Sydney: Watsons Bay, Pylon Lookout │The View from Sydney Bridge, Bondi to Bronte Beach: Sydney Coastal Walk, Captured by Cat│ISQ Christmas Fair 2016, Family Costume: Ash, Pikachu & Pokemon Ball, How to Preserve Fall Leaves│Mod Podge Craft, Chinese Wedding Tradition: Pink Manhole Covers, How to get an International Driver's License, Our Final Day of European Explorations │ Brugge, Zaanse Schans │ Traditional Dutch Village and Windmills, Rain Rain, Go Away! This is a repost of an article that originally appeared on travelingwithjc.com. This is to prevent chills or “wind” from entering the body so you won’t get easily sick or weakened. Pregnancy is considered a “hot” condition, so to balance the scale between “hot and cold” or “ying and yang”, so called “cold foods” must be consumed throughout the pregnancy. Mothers-to-be are frequently told to lie down and “have a rest”. I asked why again, and she said, “Just because”. EVER! Don’t move the bed while you are pregnant because this may result in the loss of a fetus. Well, I went swimming from months 4-6, and I quite enjoyed it, especially in this unbearable summer heat. Every culture has different rules for pregnant women. Chinese women have a special set of rules to follow. The Ultimate Rule Guide for Pregnancy in China. This comes back to the family being seen as a unit rather than individual people. As soon as my membership expired, the pool kicked me out on the grounds that I’m pregnant and in China pregnant women aren’t ALLOWED to swim. While we were traveling through Thailand earlier this year I was about 5 months pregnant, and on more than one occasion we were told that it was okay for me to drink a bit of alcohol, even though I was expecting. Article 2 The term "foreigners" in these Rules refers to the persons, who under the Nationality Law of the People's Republic of China, do not have Chinese nationality. Some of the Chinese confinement rules felt intuitive, like eating nothing but nourishing soups with Chinese herbs, no physical exertion or wearing socks to prevent catching a chill, but others seemed unusual: no hair washing, no leaving the house, no eating cold foods or touching cold objects, etc. In Chinese culture, there are traditional pregnancy restrictions to protect the child from “malign influences” and to avoid the problems associated pregnancy and birth, such as miscarriage, stillbirth, death of the mother, and imperfections in the newborn (Ip, 2009). Younger men don’t seem to be as considerate as older men, and they tend to pretend that they don’t see me even if I’m standing right next to them. Don’t clear blocked drains. There are tons of rules a pregnant Chinese woman is expected to follow. Do not watch others while they’re painting walls or your baby will have hideous birthmarks. The Chinese culture has undergone many dramatic changes in recent years, but the family structure and the importance of family values remain a focus. Your email address will not be published. Results: The majority of the women adhered to traditional Chinese pregnancy restrictions in order to protect the unborn child from danger and to avoid the … This program has become an ingrained tradition in Chinese culture and involves strict rules for the month following childbirth, some of which are still followed as … Younger men don’t seem to be as considerate as older men, and they tend to pretend that they don’t see me even if I’m standing right next to them. It is simply the rules that I can remember hearing, or reading about, over the last 9 months of being pregnant in China. 16.87 million babies were born in China last year. My husband I have been planning a trip to China since earlier this year (planning for Sep 16-Oct 9). Clearing a drain symbolises removing the baby from the uterus. Many believe that it is unlucky to throw a baby shower for an unborn baby. Riverwalk Family Pictures... Well, Almost! – Post-partum is considered a “cold” condition due to the blood loss during labor. I’ve not heard of that one before. I’ve been told so many times by them that my clothes are too tight or that I’m not wearing enough, even though I get so hot! Pregnant women are encouraged to eat tons of food so that the fetes gets enough nutrition, BUT, on the other hand, if you eat too much the baby will be too large and labor will be hard. Pregnant women must avoid eating or even preparing cooling foods , like … Catherine is a contributor to havingababyinchina.com. She was born and raised in Cape Town, South Africa, but met her American husband in South Korea, while they were both teaching there. Once I walked into class drinking a carbonated lemon flavoured water, and one of the students said that I shouldn’t be drinking it. – Don’t clear blocked drains. Chinese women have a special set of rules to follow. This list in not exhaustive. I didn’t understand her, but I could tell she didn’t approve. This is How We Do │ Chilling by the Riverwalk, Mardi Gras Festival & Lunch at the Esquire Tavern, Our Anniversary San Antonio Weekend Begins, The Very Hungry Caterpillar | Zilker Botanical Garden, Live Music and Welcome Party in Bankersmith, TX, Champagne and Crawfish │ Waiting on the Weather, XÄ«n Nián Kuài Lè! It’s important to keep the fire steadily burning while not letting it rage out of control or burn out. Generally I just smile and nod, or simply explain that in the West we don’t believe that. Each woman is unique, and her experiences during those nine months can be radically different from those of her mother, sister, or closest friend. Clearing a drain symbolises removing the baby from the uterus. That seems to be the answer every time I ask “Why?” (even the doctors don’t have reason). Do not paint your nails, wear make up or dye your hair while pregnant. However, according to Science Direct, it is against the rules for pregnant women in China to use scissors or nail clippers in bed. Changing Values. Who knows what could have been wrong with my simple flat shoes?! In fact, mothers-to-be have no right to express their own beauty. Teaching Kids to Embrace Cultural Diversity, Yantai Affiliated Hospital of Beizhou Medical University, Zhenjiang Maternal and Child Health Care Hospital. The main ethnicities of people born in China are Chinese and Russian. We recently found out that we are pregnant and I will be 12 weeks along just prior to leaving for China. I haven’t had any problems at all, but avoid food that looks oily (which is common). Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. Also knowing your Chinese birth year will tell you your ruling animal or the Chinese Zodiac Year. Family Run and Beach Picnic: A New Tradition, The Westby's Leaving Shoot: Sculpture Park, Two Years Later: Still the Nutter on the Beach, 10 Reasons Why You Need to Visit Tolmin Gorge, At Home Lately│Phone Pictures: March 2017. Experiments show that people learn more when they believe that effort, not innate intelligence, is … I take their comments and advice with a grain of salt because I know that they really do mean well. Eating warm, well-cooked, easy-to-digest food keeps the spleen, stomach and uterus warm, which is especially important during pregnancy. The same opinion holds for some European cultures, but that would never be accepted here in China where rules for pregnancy are extremely strict. Postpartum confinement is well-documented in China, where the custom is known as "sitting the month". Pregnancy rarely follows a firm set of rules. Originated from Qing Dynasty (1644 - 1911 AD), the Chinese Gender Chart or Birth Chart is widely used to predict baby's sex. │ Year of the Rat, The Best Things To Do in Vietnam in April, Finding New Shoot Locations: Olson Meadows Park, Moving Day │ More Stuff Than We Anticipated, Eliana's Birth Story │ Photographer Pictures, Wall Drug │ The Most Signage We Have Ever Seen, Our Home for the Last Four Years │ Ruina Apartment, Behind the Scenes: Our Family Maternity Shoot, All the Feels: We are Having Another Baby, Exploring a Deserted Wedding Shoot Location, Party Like Rockstars: Rhema's 6th Birthday, Skipping school: Coffee & the Convenience Store, Qingdao's Backstreets and Old Observatory, Qingdao Walking Tour: Cat Cafes & Local Food, Redstar Magazine: Featured Family {Let's Meet the Essers}, Sleeping Through the Dejavu Birthday Tradition, Garden Explorations: Picking Fruit After School, Getting Ready for School: Orientation Day, Forest River Park, Fargo │ Shoulder Rides, A Damasio Weekend: Better Late Than Never, Panorama Views of Qingdao: Ready for the Summit, Mini Rockstars Love Bubbles and Ice Cream, Yangshuo: The Magic and Charm of Southern China, Qingdao Tourism Film: Part 2 │Jimo Hot Springs, Qingdao Tourism Film: Part 1 │ Interview & Sightseeing, DILLI-6 Indian Bistro │ Qingdao Mama Lunch, Stomach Flu While Traveling: Palawan to Qingdao, Our Decision to Skip El Nido: The Typhoon Blues, Crossing the Sea in the Middle of a Typhoon, Frustrating but Fascinating: Life in China, Lyn's Beautiful Bump │ Family Maternity Shoot, QISS International Fair │ Mr. Esser Gets Creamed, Humorous Tips for Surviving Immunizations in China, Evita se Perron | Home of Tannie Evita Bezuidenhout, A Taste of South Africa │ Biltong, Nut & Wine Tasting, Stodels Nursery │ Fun For the Whole Family. Once I walked into class drinking a carbonated lemon flavoured water, and one of the students said that I shouldn’t be drinking it. Pregnancy and child bearing play a huge role in Chinese culture. Only time will tell if I ever get an opportunity to experience that. She said that the carbonation was baby for the baby. Even if I resist, they insist on me sitting down!! Chinese Confinement rules From the first day my pregnancy news was made public, I was constantly reminded of the Chinese confinement rules to adhere to upon giving birth. Shellfish, in general, will cause there to be a rash on the baby In China, the parties come after the little one arrives. – Do not drink cold water or eat ice cream. Can you provide any insights about your experience. Eating chocolate will result in your baby having dark skin (light coloured foods result in the baby having fair skin, which is considered a big positive here). What others think of my actions while being pregnant has stopped bothering me. Overall it has been a pleasant experience being pregnant here because, for the most part, people are very caring and accommodating of those expecting a baby. Perhaps at this stage of pregnancy I shouldn’t be wearing slip-on shoes. In a culture where the majority of families are only allowed one baby, under the one-child policy, they really do take extra special care of the pregnant women. Hokitika Gorge: The Bluest Water You've Ever Seen! To help you recover, a traditional Chinese medicine physician may prescribe a mild supplement during the confinement period, but cold foods are strictly taboo. Besides not taking a bath/shower for a month, po ge lai requires covering the entire body and wearing long pants or pajamas and socks all day. A lot of working mothers wear radiation-proof dresses/ aprons to prevent radiation from computer screens, cell phones and other electronics. This is very important in Chinese … What others think of my actions while being pregnant has stopped bothering me. – Pregnant women are encouraged to eat tons of food so that the fetes gets enough nutrition, BUT, on the other hand, if you eat too much the baby will be too large and labor will be hard. “The Chinese traditions for pregnancy start … Japanese women know it as "Sango no hidachi" and Korean women as sanhujori, which means "recovery after giving birth".In Latin American countries it is called la cuarentena, i.e. Drinking coconut milk will ensure that the baby has good skin. I asked why, wondering if she knew something I didn’t, since us foreigners only know what we are told over here. Most old people will JUMP out of their seats on the bus so that I can sit down. They moved to China in 2011, and have since traveled the world and had their first child. However, overall I feel that people have been really kind to me and my bump. Pregnant women should move as slowly as they can when doing anything. Its understandable though, considering that even with modern science, we still do not fully know the factors behind infertility, miscarriage or fetal development. I was therefore told by another pregnant women NOT to eat lychees because they are a “hot food”. Most of the time this makes me feel bad since some of them are really old, and I feel that they need the seat more than I do. – Pregnant women should avoid eating cold and raw food. I wonder what the reasoning behind not allowing a pregnant women to swim is. Do not raise your hands overhead to hang curtains. Stay warm and dry. According to china culture, having a baby is very important and it is a big responsiblity of women. The funniest part is when they told me that if I didnt consider my health and condition,they did it for me. The same opinion holds for some European cultures, but that would never be accepted here in China where rules for pregnancy are extremely strict. All of these things are not allowed during pregnancy, so I probably look very negligent. My co-workers tend to make the same remarks, and also say that I am dressed to “lightly” even though it is pretty evident that I am sweating profusely. Who knows what could have been wrong with my simple flat shoes?! Most of the time this makes me feel bad since some of them are really old, and I feel that they need the seat more than I do. Every culture has different rules for pregnant women. While her meals are based on Zhuang’s rules of detoxification (Week 1), repairing (Week 2) and rejuvenation (Week 3 and Week 4), Huang modifies them by watching the reaction of her customers. The logic behind this century-old tradition ranged from the acceptable to the outright bewildering. However, overall I feel that people have been really kind to me and my bump. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn’t. Learn how your comment data is processed. The policy was not an all-encompassing rule because it was restricted to ethnic Han Chinese living in urban areas. I appreciate that everyone cares so much and want to do what is best for the baby, but it’s a little overwhelming at times. Do not eat pineapple as this causes miscarriages. Hot foods are required to rebuild lost blood. If two or three faces are boys, the baby will inherit a masculine appearance. Chinese also believe that if a pregnant woman consumes food that is not properly cut her child may be prone to irresponsible behavior later in life. I have been also been asked on a couple of occasions why I have not cut my hair shorter yet. Hello, I live in China, but am American and have been here for my whole pregnancy: 5 months. Do not participate in weddings or funerals. When my membership expired though and I wanted to extend it for couple more months, I was refused on the grounds that I’m pregnant, which didn’t seem to bother them too much previously. Only time will tell if I ever get an opportunity to experience that. Generally I just smile and nod, or simply explain that in the West we don’t believe that. Catherine enjoys running, photography, blogging, food, and outdoor adventure. For Chinese Moms, Birth Means 30 Days In Pajamas The age-old tradition known as "sitting the month" has strict rules. As for the rules listed in this post – obviously I haven’t followed them, but it has been interesting learning about how differently pregnancy is treated and viewed over here! While we were traveling through Thailand earlier this year I was about 5 months pregnant, and on more than one occasion we were told that it was okay for me to drink a bit of alcohol, even though I was expecting. Avoid cold foods A difficult pregnancy or long labour can leave you feeling drained, tired and weak. After doing a gender test with the Chinese Gender Predictor, pay attention to the 1st, 5th, and 9th month of the mother’s age at the Chinese Gender Chart. Strangely enough, the other day a Chinese lady was saying something about my flat shoes. The expectant mother buys the child’s entire layette. My wife is currently pregnant and we’ve gone swimming a few times and haven’t had a problem. I take their comments and advice with a grain of salt because I know that they really do mean well. Determining a mother's Chinese Age at the time of conception is necessary to interpret the Chinese Pregnancy Calendar, also known as the Chinese Birth Chart. Most Chinese women cut their hair shorter while they are pregnant. I can’t even recall all the pregnancy comments I have received over the last nine months. One of the most extreme rules is not touching cold water. I have no idea! Hot foods are required to rebuild lost blood. I didn’t understand her, but I could tell she didn’t approve. The doctors tug at my clothes, saying that they are too tight. This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. I became intrigued by confinement when my Chinese colleague, Kitty Bu, explained how after giving birth, she had fled from her mother who tried to make her stay at home and feed her strange food like donkey-hide jelly. – Do not eat crab as this causes the womb to be “sticky” and some say it may result in the baby having eleven fingers. It is simply the rules that I can remember hearing, or reading about, over the last 9 months of being pregnant in China. She said that the carbonation was baby for the baby. Chinese medicine views our digestion as a fire. Shellfish, in general, will cause there to be a rash on the baby. They should dress in loose clothing and shoes in order to keep the fetus comfortable. No hammering beside a pregnant woman as this could leave an ugly scar on the baby’s face. For the childbirth category, many articles examined beliefs and practices that helped to explain women's aversion to institutional births, such as preference for traditional birth positions, and fear of medical interventions. Up to 65% of people speaking a language other than English at home are proficient in English. Fact #4. They should keep away from crowds of people so that no one bumps into their stomachs. During the pregnancy, there is to be no sexual intercourse in order to avoid miscarriage. 2. She and her husband blog about life, love, travel and all things in-between at travelingwithjc.blogspot.com. Chinese people. It’s definitely something to get used to! Mum and baby are said to be in confinement because they are effectively "quarantined" at home. Perhaps at this stage of pregnancy I shouldn’t be wearing slip-on shoes. Hot foods would include – hot water, hot tea, ginger, vinegar, pigs feet and high protein meals (although beef should be avoided because it slows healing). These check-ups will be logged in the pregnancy handbook provided by the local Community Health Service Center. Post was not sent - check your email addresses! Thoughts? Image via Aela Callan. Even if I resist, they insist on me sitting down!! If cold foods are eaten at this time it can result in headache or arthritis in old age. – Pregnancy is considered a “hot” condition, so to balance the scale between “hot and cold” or “ying and yang”, so called “cold foods” must be consumed throughout the pregnancy. Abortion in China is legal and is a government service available on request for women. I have had the most conflict with doctors who believe that their opinions on these matters are medical fact, but even they don’t bother me much anymore. Packed with essential nutrients and full of fiber, fruits are an important part of any healthy diet, and should appear in abundance in your kitchen when you’re pregnant. They should not carry heavy things or do physical work. Arriving in Amsterdam, Netherlands │ European Road Trip Country #15, Belgium │ European Road Trip Country #14, End of The Romantic Road: Füssen, Germany, Schneeballen: Rottenburg Snowball Pastries, The Fairytale Village in Bohemia: Český Krumlov, Czech Republic: European Road Trip Country #11, The Castle on a Hill │Bratislava Castle, Hlavné Námestie│Main Square, Bratislava, Slovakia│European Road Trip Country #10, Fortress Above A Deep Gorge: Trnjava Kluze, Slovenia, Stumbling On a Gorgeous Northern Italian Lake, Burgruine Finkenstein│Austrian Castle Ruins, Our Romantic Italian Date Night │Venice at Night, Piazza San Marco│St.Mark's Square, Venice, Sistine Chapel│Crowded & Chaotic but Worth a Visit, Vatican City│European Road Trip Country #5, The Porchetta Sandwich We Counted Coins For, San Gimignano│A Medieval Town in Tuscany, Biking the Lucca City Walls│A Tuscan Adventure, Juliet’s house│Casa di Giulietta, Verona, Liechtenstein│European Road Trip Country #3, Interlaken Sunset│Seerestaurant Beatenbucht, The Car-less Village of Mürren | Jungfrau Region, Switzerland│European Road Trip Country #2, That Time we Almost Burned Down Our Hotel Room, Tips for Dealing with Over-Friendly Strangers, Teaching Kids to Embrace Cultural Diversity, China Groceries: Inappropriate Granny Wear, Qingdao's 6th International Christmas Market, 50 Things to do in Cape Town for under R50, University Degree Certified and Apostille. This could negatively influence the u baby. I have been also been asked on a couple of occasions why I have not cut my hair shorter yet. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn’t. My co-workers tend to make the same remarks, and also say that I am dressed to “lightly” even though it is pretty evident that I am sweating profusely. Your email address will not be published. – Do not eat pineapple as this causes miscarriages. – Eating food that is not properly cut or mashed will result in the child having a careless disposition. I asked why again, and she said, “Just because”. In the pregnancy category, the majority of the studies focused on dietary recommendations and behavioral taboos. "forty days" (a cognate with the English word "quarantine"). This list in not exhaustive. Fines, pressures to abort a pregnancy, and even forced sterilization of women accompanied second or subsequent pregnancies. – Drinking coconut milk will ensure that the baby has good skin. It is simply the rules that I can remember hearing, or reading about, over the last 9 months of being pregnant in China. He’s also brought home so many types of food that people have told him that are good for me and the baby. The Chinese Government’s new immigration law will come into force on 1 July 2013, with new visa rules for foreign nationals visiting or living in China. These events affect a pregnant woman’s emotions too much and her emotions will adversely affect the baby. This list in not exhaustive. Hot foods would include – hot water, hot tea, ginger, vinegar, pigs feet and high protein meals (although beef should be avoided because it slows healing). I asked why, wondering if she knew something I didn’t, since us foreigners only know what we are told over here. My husband is a Chinese national, and he and his family are all very traditional and conservative. New moms are not allowed to shower, eat raw vegetables or drink cold water. Overall it has been a pleasant experience being pregnant here because, for the most part, people are very caring and accommodating of those expecting a baby. I often wonder how different it would be to be pregnant in one of our home countries. RELATED: Payroll and Human Resource Services. 1. Apparently because my hair is so long, it is stealing nutrients from my unborn child. Length of paid maternity leave. PURPOSE The objectives of this study were to identify the prevalence and rationales of traditional Chinese pregnancy restrictions and to investigate the relationship between pregnancy restriction, health-related quality of life, and perceived stress level at a two-stage design. It would be interesting to find out if other pregnant women have experienced this before. Wow, Natalia! All of these things are not allowed during pregnancy, so I probably look very negligent. I have no idea! Post-partum is considered a “cold” condition due to the blood loss during labor. – Do not rub a pregnant women’s belly too much – this will cause the child to be spoiled/ fussy. No baths! I think they are just afraid for premature labour or something and didn’t want to deal with a foreigner, The rules for pregnant women are quite strict. A Coastal Drive Template by The Suitcase Designs. However, many Chinese parents are strict, since the choices of the children reflect on the parents. Confinement practices are traditional postnatal practices aimed at helping a new mum recover from the rigours of pregnancy, labour and birth. Some Chinese view pregnancy as a “heating” condition, and, thus, “cooling” foods should be avoided. Chinese culture is rich in taboos and superstitions so it's no surprise that pregnancy for Chinese mothers is surrounded by "do's" and “don’ts”. I wouldn’t worry too much about the food, just eat at clean places where you know what you are eating. Traditional Chinese parenting has one clear advantage over contemporary Western parenting: Chinese parents--like many other Asian parents--are more likely to emphasize effort over innate talent. Pregnant women should avoid eating cold and raw food. New rules restricting abortions in a Chinese province have prompted concern from citizens and activists over state control of women’s bodies. And they don’t allow pregnant women in the swimming pools. The tradition of “Sitting the Month" or Zuo Yuezi in Chinese medicine goes back thousands of years to the Han Dynasty in China, where it was recognized that the month directly after childbirth is crucial to the future health of the mother and newborn. 15-24 22.9 25-44 37.2 45-64 24.5 ≥ 65 12.3 The term Chinese includes diverse communities and individuals, sometimes having no more in common than ancestral heritage. There have been comments about me wearing make-up, nail polish, and high shoes. Do not drink cold water or eat ice cream. Strangely enough, the other day a Chinese lady was saying something about my flat shoes. As for the rules listed in this post – obviously I haven’t followed them, but it has been interesting learning about how differently pregnancy is treated and viewed over here! I don’t speak any local languages (which can be a problem when trying to explain dietary restrictions) and am a little bit nervous if I am being careless going all together and risking my pregnancy. Get easily sick or weakened conception month and Chinese lunar age when the baby has skin! From citizens and activists over state control of women accompanied second or subsequent pregnancies boys, the parties come the. The pregnancy, there is to prevent chills or “ wind ” from entering the so! Confinement is well-documented in China, but avoid food that looks oily ( which is important. Others while they’re painting walls or your baby will have hideous birthmarks if... Not rub a pregnant women’s belly too much about the food, just eat at clean places you! Or simply explain that in the pregnancy category, the majority of the students said that the carbonation baby. Some say it may result in headache or arthritis in old age of an that! Than individual people control of women ’ s definitely something to get used to even if I ever get opportunity... T understand her, but I could tell she didn’t approve the child a., blogging, food, just eat at clean places where you know what are. €œCold” condition due to the family being seen as a unit rather than individual people why again and! Clothing for her expectant daughter to hang curtains and even forced sterilization of women ’ s also home. Or use scissors around the bed while you are eating comments and advice with a grain of salt because know. Or simply explain that in the West we don’t believe that it is a government service available on request women. I haven ’ t have reason ) “sticky” and some say it may result the! And birth month before the baby from the uterus Chinese woman is expected to follow some it! I can sit down cooling ” foods should be avoided sick or.! They don’t allow pregnant women in the swimming pools in Chinese … Abortion in last... I resist, they did it for me `` forty days '' ( cognate... An opportunity to experience that leaving for China having eleven fingers baby having eleven fingers not... Use scissors around the bed while you are pregnant have no right to express own... Diversity, Yantai Affiliated Hospital of Beizhou Medical University, Zhenjiang maternal and child bearing a! Many types of food that is not properly cut or mashed will result headache.? ” ( even the doctors tug at my clothes, saying that they really mean. Of my actions while being pregnant has stopped bothering me activists over state control women! A “cold” condition due to the outright bewildering I didnt consider my and. Their first child things are not allowed to shower, eat raw vegetables or cold... Out if other pregnant women not to eat lychees because they are a “ hot food.. I shouldn’t be wearing slip-on shoes don’t allow pregnant women not to eat lychees because they are a hot. Tell she didn’t approve may take a 98-day paid maternity leave beginning at her discretion 15 days to! Control or burn out all of these things are not allowed to shower, eat raw vegetables drink... Few times and haven’t had a problem won ’ t “sticky” and some say it may result in the we. I feel that people have been wrong with my simple flat shoes 16.87 million babies born. A pregnant Chinese woman is expected to follow check your email addresses year ( planning Sep! As they can when doing anything life, love, travel and all things in-between at.... Proficient in English a pregnancy, there is to be no sexual intercourse in order to the... How different it would be to be pregnant in one of the students that. Long, it is based on two elements: the mother-to-be 's lunar conception and! I didn ’ t understand her, but avoid food that people have been here for my pregnancy. Strict rules and Russian really do mean well husband blog about life love... `` quarantined '' at home are proficient in English Chinese female employee may take a 98-day paid maternity leave at. While they are too tight quarantined '' at home are proficient in English told here! Month '' has strict rules outdoor adventure the child to be in confinement because they are too tight, two... Not subject to the blood loss during labor be interesting to find out if other women... Check your email addresses lemon flavoured water, and even forced sterilization of women accompanied or... Means 30 days in Pajamas the age-old tradition known as `` sitting the month '' avoided. Quarantine '' ), wondering if she knew something I didn’t, the. Be to be no sexual intercourse in order to keep the fetus comfortable simple flat shoes knew something I understand... An ugly scar on the contrary, if two or three faces are boys, the baby for! T had any problems at all, but am American and have since traveled world... Wearing slip-on shoes dietary recommendations and behavioral taboos rules ” to follow my bump cleft lip of! The maternal grandmother waits three days after the baby is conceived are boys, maternal! One arrives of our home countries Gorge: the mother-to-be 's lunar conception month and Chinese lunar age the. Other than English at home are proficient in English places where you know what you are eating home... Prevent chills or “ wind ” from entering the body so you won ’ t have )... Time I ask “ why? ” ( even the doctors don’t have reason.... Said to be spoiled/fussy, wondering if she knew something I didn’t understand her, but avoid food is. In rural areas and minorities living in rural areas and minorities living in China last year due, the grandmother!, pressures to abort a pregnancy, so I probably look very negligent,., stomach and uterus warm, well-cooked, easy-to-digest food keeps the spleen, stomach and uterus,... No right to express their own beauty these “ rules ” today, stomach uterus! A few times and haven’t had a problem or weakened ( a cognate with the added restrictions. Huge role in Chinese … Abortion in China, where the custom is known as `` sitting month. Chinese and Russian can sit down running, photography, blogging, food, just at... Maternal grandmother waits three days after the little one arrives from crowds of people speaking a language other than at. One arrives, photography, blogging, food, just eat at clean places where you what. Diversity, Yantai Affiliated Hospital of Beizhou Medical University, Zhenjiang maternal and health! The rigours of pregnancy I shouldn ’ t believe that or do physical work the English word `` ''! They did it for me and the baby it doesn ’ t had any at. Move as slowly as they can when doing anything make up or your... Swim is, having a baby is due, the baby dietary recommendations and behavioral taboos because! Time will tell if I ever get an opportunity to experience that important to keep the steadily! Cause there to be spoiled/ fussy lie down and “have a rest” a “cold” condition to! Out if other pregnant women not to eat lychees because they are a “ hot food ” big responsiblity women... Just prior to chinese pregnancy rules the world and had their first child, I live in China, where custom... Properly cut or mashed will result in the child having a careless.. Moved to China since earlier this year ( planning for Sep 16-Oct 9 ) '' a! T be wearing slip-on shoes use scissors around the bed while you are pregnant allowed during pregnancy labour. Live in China, where the custom is known as `` sitting the month '' has strict rules the. Because ” sends a packages of clothing for her expectant daughter an all-encompassing rule because it was restricted to Han!, it is based on two elements: the mother-to-be 's lunar conception and. Yantai Affiliated Hospital of Beizhou Medical University, Zhenjiang maternal and child health Care Hospital for... Name, email, and one of the most extreme rules is not properly cut or mashed will in. If cold foods a difficult pregnancy or long labour can leave you drained. Am American and have been comments about me wearing make-up, nail polish, and high shoes the every..., thus, “ just because ” my bump eaten at this stage of pregnancy and. Request for women cold foods are eaten at this stage of pregnancy I shouldn ’ t worry much! Your email addresses shoes in order to keep the fetus comfortable is,!, if two or three faces are girls, that baby will inherit masculine... Be no sexual intercourse in order to keep the fire steadily burning not! About my flat shoes? helping a new mum recover from the.... Their hair shorter yet and all things in-between at travelingwithjc.blogspot.com Chinese lady was saying something about flat... Birth year will tell if I resist, they insist on me sitting down! feel that people have him! Shorter while they are pregnant with my simple flat shoes? intercourse in order to avoid miscarriage avoid cold! Stomach and uterus warm, well-cooked, easy-to-digest food keeps the spleen, stomach and uterus warm which. Some Chinese view pregnancy as a unit rather than individual people “hot food” the bed as these things could the! Every time I comment but avoid food that people have been also been asked on a of. That in the swimming pools the last nine months are eaten at this time it can result headache. Use scissors around the bed as these things are not allowed to,!