Now, preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Go ahead and wash your potatoes and place them in a large pan. https://www.loavesanddishes.net/canned-sweet-potato-casserole But don't forget that sweet potato casseroles are a great addition to the dinner table all during … Hope that helps! Add sugar and reserved liquid. MAPLE GLAZED CARROTS, Originally published: November 2016 Whether it be this recipe I’m giving you or just sweet potatoes with marshmallows, if you’re short on time and need to use canned yams, you want to use good quality yams. salted butter I always make with marshmallows but am so going to try this, but am wondering if it would work in the slow cooker on low for a few hrs and then pop in oven to brown if needed?? I do a ton of cooking on Thanksgiving and over the years, I have learned ways to make my recipes not only easier to whip up but still have that same great taste I love. I made the night before to be as prepared as possible for dinner. Click HERE to save recipe to Pinterest. Quick alternative to the more time consuming ones. Ingredients needed to make The BEST Candied Yams Recipe: Yams (sweet potatoes) Butter; Cinnamon; Brown sugar; Mini marshmallows “I have so much time” -No mom ever. Maybe if you had a marshmallow topping on there you would do that but with pecan praline topping, you can freeze the whole thing. It's a quick and easy Thanksgiving side dish that's made with canned sweet potatoes. Dec 26, 2020 - Explore Diane Marchesani Albert's board "Canned Yams", followed by 178 people on Pinterest. Carefully add the sweet potatoes and then simmer until thickened. Wasn’t sure if freezing it was required. , I will use white sugar then for the filling. This comforting dish unites tenderly mashed sweet potatoes, brown sugar and butter with a hint of cinnamon. I just want to make sure the dish is not too sweet. Hi Morgan, yes you can but you’ll want to add a pinch of salt to the mixture. A nice time saver for this yummy dish.". Hope that helps! However, to allow for residual syrup, I reduced the white sugar to 1/3 cup. I am sure your comments will be very helpful to other readers. Allrecipes Magazine, Credit: Be careful not to overcook your yams, or they will fall apart and become mushy, but then again, maybe you like your yams mushy. This easy Sweet Potato Casserole with Marshmallows recipe is the best holiday dish for your Thanksgiving table. Kim, Credit: I usually like them plain in fry form. Thanks Brandie. © Copyright 2020, Our Top 20 Most Cherished Christmas Cookies, Make-Ahead Breakfast Minis to Save Your Mornings, 15 Classic Sandwiches That Make Lunch Legendary, 14 Nights of Dinner Ideas All Under $2 Per Serving, 15 No-Yeast Breads for Quick and Easy Baking, 10 Easy Christmas Cookies for Once-a-Year Bakers, 10 Chicken Stew Recipes That Make for Comforting Dinners, 10 Leftover Turkey Meals to Freeze for Quick Weeknight Dinners, 16 Mom-Approved Christmas Cookies to Sweeten the Season, 18 Spicy Korean Recipes That Showcase Gochujang Chile Paste, 24 Portable Thanksgiving Dishes for the Road, 9 Make-Ahead Thanksgiving Sides That Hold Up in the Freezer, Our 15 Best Veggie Side Dishes for Thanksgiving Dinner, 10 Classic Make-Ahead Thanksgiving Casseroles. https://www.yummly.com/recipes/candied-yams-without-marshmallows Any suggestions on the hens? Add sugar, butter, salt, cinnamon, and vanilla extract; Mash … And I like to put marshmallows on top of the streusel! CRAVING MORE? EASY LAYERED SWEET POTATO CAKE Thanks so much for coming back and leaving feedback. I actually make this year round being that it’s so easy and delicious. This looks delicious but my daughter is allergic to nuts. larkspur, Credit: This is a very close sub. Are there canned yams not packed in a sweetened syrup? No canned potatoes! This easy Sweet Potato Casserole topped with pecans and marshmallows is a traditional side at our family Thanksgiving table. For you northerners, I don’t want to slap my mama That’s just a southern expression when we get excited. Recipes / Potato. Thanks so much Dee! Baking & Spices. About doubling the recipe, may I assume that a 9 x 13 casserole is an acceptable dish size.and about 10 minutes of extra baking time? Happy Thanksgiving! all-purpose flour Dairy. It should come out warm and not cold. Candied Sweet Potatoes Instructions: First, start by gathering all your ingredients; like the sweet potatoes or yams, marshmallows, and cinnamon. She passed away when I was 8, so I when I eat this it reminds me of family holidays of long ago. READY IN: 40mins. To save work on Thanksgiving, prep the vegetables the day before and store them overnight in a zip-top bag. I have cooked your recipe for the least few years so thank you! 5 People talking Join In Now Join the conversation! HOMEMADE CRANBERRY SAUCE vanilla extract You could definitely substitute but the molasses in brown sugar could make the filling a bit more “loose” and it won’t firm up as well. ???? Preheat oven to 350f degrees. Looks both good and easy. Thanks for explaining the difference! Do you cook it the same amount if you use marshmallows instead of the praline mixture? Add comma separated list of ingredients to exclude from recipe. Yes No No Preference. Drain sweet potatoes and pour into oven proof casserole dish. I know I’m asking a lot .. My candied yams are actually sweet potatoes. (although I think it sounds good with the praline mixture, I have family that LOVES having the marshmallow on top). Canned yams or sweet potatoes may be used. My … I just made it and am putting it in the fridge to cook tomorrow. Produce. This easy sweet potato casserole recipe does still have a streusel topping – just without pecans mixed in. With the Six Sisters’ Meal Plans, we do the dinner planning, grocery ordering, and then all you have to do is decide whether to pick them up or have them delivered. Also, if you don’t like pecans in the topping, you can just leave them out. makes sense . Stir until combined well. 2 (15 ounce) cans sweet potatoes. This is important as the casserole will set-up as it cools. I hope you enjoy this Easy Candied Sweet Potatoes Recipe! Sweet potato casserole is a must-have, must-make side dish for me at the holidays. We've got 20+ top-rated sweet potato casserole recipes to suit your side dish style. While northerners have adapted this southern food and in some cases add toppings which include marshmallows, southerners remain puritanical in regards to the pie and decline such additions. Add comma separated list of ingredients to include in recipe. Some play up the sweet in sweet potatoes, while others go to the savory side. COLLARD GREENS WITH HAM BONE What do you think? So, let's break tradition and bring these no-marshmallow sweet potatoes to the table instead. We promise to not use your email for spam! I’m wondering the same thing. Hi Renae, yes exactly. Transfer filling to a greased 2 qt baking dish. "We made this for Thanksgiving. my grandmother made this and used sweetened condensed milk instead of the milk and white sugar. Drain off all but 1/4 cup liquid from potatoes. First you need to peel about 1,5 kg/ 3,3 lbs sweet potatoes. The Best Sweet Potato Casserole No Eggs Recipes on Yummly | Vegan Sweet Potato Casserole With Pecan Crumble, The Best, Most Simple, Sweet Potato Casserole, Savory Whipped Sweet Potato Casserole Get more Thanksgiving sweet potato recipes, including marshmallow-covered favorites. I only increased the amount of sweet potatoes I used 40 oz + 29 oz cans. Keep an eye on the baking time. You can still get a good meal on the table, with a few shortcuts to help you along the way. Butter the bottom and sides any preferred size baking dish. Any leftovers of this reheat really well too. I’ve been looking for a different way to make Yams for thanksgiving, so definitely want to try this. . Let … YOU MUST TRY THESE RECIPES! My mom used to make it at both Thanksgiving and Christmas. Boom. Remove foil and stir and bake for an additional 10-15 minutes until sweet potatoes are tender. Ive also tweaked it to make it dairy free, have used agave instead of white sugar and palm sugar in place of the brown sugar (we have A LOT of dietary issues in our family!) Some people opt for crunchy pecan topping but I like to keep the smooth consistency with pillowy marshmallows. In regard to my question above- Thinking about it – I will guesstimate how many of the sweet potatoes that I purchased weigh about 29 ounces.. And next time I’ll weigh them at the store. Pour sweet potato chunks in prepared dish. Sprinkle with cinnamon. Canned yams are pretty sweet without having anything done to them at all. Canned yams are pretty sweet without having anything done to them at all. UNITS: US. To use fresh ingredients instead of canned. Can I use dark brown … These soft, savory canned sweet potatoes are sprinkled with cinnamon and covered with a delicious marshmallow topping. Would it re-heat well in a microwave if I bake it the day before, refrigerate it that night and then microwave the next day for lunch? The dish dates back to the late 1800s, featured in the famous "Boston Cooking School Cookbook", for a recipe of candied or glazed sweet potatoes by Fannie Farmer. Canned Sweet Potato Casserole with Marshmallows This canned sweet potato casserole is a budget friendly recipe for the holidays that comes together in 25 minutes! Happy Thanksgiving! See more ideas about sweet potato recipes, thanksgiving recipes, sweet potato casserole. In a bowl, combine the melted … I got to get this right .. I’m comfortable with doing best toppings and I plan to do so .. INGREDIENTS. Happy Thanksgiving! How To Make Sweet Potato Casserole With Marshmallows. . I love to make them lighter. Sprinkle sugar over sweet potatoes. I drained the potatoes, but did not rinse. Thanks! See more ideas about sweet potato casserole recipe with marshmallows, sweet potato casserole, recipes with marshmallows. Go for the longer, thinner sweet potatoes for this dish. Hi could I make this with unsalted butter? If you put them on too early, they will burn. Thanks! Hi Elaine! I love the idea of a praline topping instead of marshmallows…is there any way to do it without nuts? I do my very best to get my sweet potatoes for this casserole early, before the store runs out of my choice of canned yams. . Going to give it a try this Thanksgiving. Last updated Dec 15, 2020. This guide to cooking roast beef will help you create a flavorful, moist, and tender roast. I like to say the recipes on here are recipes for the busy cook (you know who you are). This will be my first time making cornish hens also since this pandemic not making a turkey…will only be 5 of us…my friends who have no where to go. Serve it with Pineapple-Coconut Sauce if you want to win Thanksgiving forever. Let casserole cool for about 15-20 minutes before serving. yams, eggs, baking powder, cream cheese, vanilla extract, butter and 8 more. Add pecans if using. I am attempting to follow in the footsteps of Renee .. I plan to refrigerate overnight and bake tomorrow .. Hope this helped. … SWEET SOUTHERN PECAN CAKE generationsrecipes.com/recipe/easy-sweet-potato-casserole-from-canned-yams We’ve got all the sweet potato recipes … If you're accustomed to marshmallowy sweet potatoes, you'll find a more-than-worthy replacement in this sweet potato casserole. Top with marshmallows and return to oven until they reach the desired level of doneness, about 5-10 minutes. This Sweet Potato Soufflé is lighter and not too sweet. LynnInHK, Credit: I would probably guess about 3 sweet potatoes. Let us give you your time back! Look no further for a perfect sweet potato casserole recipe. Coming back to let you know it was a success . Common Sense tells me to use a 13 by 9 pan .. not sure if cook time .. should I reduce by 10 minutes .. Updated and republished September 2019. In a bowl, combine the melted butter, brown sugar, flour and chopped pecans. No gift befits the food-obsessed people in your life like a cookbook. I like to fancy them up with a little butter, brown sugar, and topped with marshmallows. Hi Dianne – they aren’t additionally sweetened. This is important as the casserole will set-up as it cools. I have other sweet potato recipes but would like to try this one. Bake in the preheated oven 25 minutes, or until sweet potatoes are tender and marshmallows have … A topping of pecans and pepitas replaces traditional marshmallow topping to keep it healthy and add texture and color for a beautiful casserole. Now that its that time of year again the extended family has requested this dish again! Stick a knife into the center to tell when it is done. You don’t need to spray the dish because of the butter in this recipe but I always tell folks to go with their heart when it comes to spraying baking dishes or adding garlic. It is all crowned with pillowy soft marshmallows and toasty pecans to create a sweet … I’m a regular home cook, like most of you, doing my best to get a good meal on the table for my family. Yum! Asiago cheese, sage, butter, olive oil, garlic salt, and pepper help this casserole achieve the ideal balance of savory and sweet. She says she does this too. Mackenzie Schieck, Credit: sugar Place in oven for 35-40 minutes or until syrupy. These soft, savory sweet potatoes are sprinkled with cinnamon and covered with a delicious marshmallow topping. Instead of the pecan praline topping, you can leave it off and top with marshmallow towards the end of cooking. I saw no mention of spraying the dish with a product such as Pam, am I to assume the butter will keep the sweet potatoes from sticking .. HOW TO MAKE CANDIED SWEET POTATOES. Hi Morgan! ???? But if you want to dress them up a bit, top them with a little extra ricotta cheese or chopped sage. Hi Morgan – I wouldn’t pre-bake. Francine Lizotte, Club Foody, Credit: Serve warm and refrigerate leftovers. Instructions Preheat oven to 350f degrees. 1 (29 ounce) can Sweet potatoes. Canned cut sweet potatoes or yams cinnamon brown sugar unsalted butter marshmallows Optional: allspice, ginger, ground clove, chopped nuts (i.e. Absolutely. RITZ PINEAPPLE CASSEROLE HONEY GLAZED SWEET POTATOES You are SO sweet to come back and let me know! . This easy Sweet Potato Casserole with Marshmallows recipe is the perfect holiday dish for your Thanksgiving table. Southern living says, freeze the sweet potato part but leave the topping off for later. Add butter, condensed milk and spices: Then we add the melted butter, sweetened condensed milk, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt. Cut them into cubes and place in a large pot. I did not change or add to any of the other ingredients, even though I was using more than twice the listed amount of sweet potatoes. Try them roasted, grilled, fried or in a sweet potato pie. Sweet Potato Casserole recipe can be prepared up to 48 hours in advance by cooking and mashing the sweet potatoes and assembling the casserole as directed. From a can! "Excellent," says STUARTRICE. Thanks Happy Thanksgiving. I used fresh sweet potatoes as well and it came in a 3lb bag. Oct 21, 2020 - Explore Betsy Kirchmeier's board "Sweet potato casserole recipe with marshmallows" on Pinterest. In a large bowl, mash the sweet potatoes and stir in melted butter, milk, sugar, vanilla extract and beaten Eggland’s Best eggs. If I doubled this could I still use the same size baking dish & just cook longer? LOL. Instead of loading up this comfort food side with tons of brown sugar and marshmallows, we have turned to sweet spices, vanilla and inherently sweet dried fruit to enhance the natural sweetness of the sweet potatoes. Half marshmallows and half pecan praline topping It should totally work in a slow cooker but like you said, I would pop the insert into the oven so the top browns up and gets crunchy. See more ideas about side dish recipes, recipes, yam or sweet potato. Warmed in over after the turkey came out and microwaved the sauce. The recipe is perfect the way it is but lots of it can be altered and tweaked to your own taste without … I would really appreciate your feedback .. Daphne. Happy Thanksgiving! It was a huge left and nothing was left! CoOkInGnUt, 15 No-Marshmallow Sweet Potato Dishes for Thanksgiving. Instructions Preheat oven to 350 degrees. © Copyright 2010-2020 - The Country Cook - Brandie Skibinski. Thousands of recipes right … Carefully add the sweet potatoes and then simmer until thickened. For another sweet potato recipe idea, check out my Chipotle Sweet Potatoes with Queso Fresco or Orange Guajillo Glazed Sweet Potatoes to add a Mexican twist to your sweet potatoes, or lighten up your snacks with Sweet Potato Toast or Baked Sweet Potato … Just to clarify any kind of can sweet potatoes or yams? Drain most of the liquid from sweet potatoes. If you do not want to use marshmallows, combine the syrup ingredients in a medium saucepan and bring to a gentle boil. But for Thanksgiving? THE ULTIMATE THANKSGIVING RECIPES Bake for 45 minutes. This Easy Sweet Potato Casserole has a creamy filling made with canned sweet potatoes and is topped with a brown sugar streusel topping. Audra – you could always do half and half But if you are doing marshmallows only, cook the casserole (without any topping) for 25-30 minutes. I’ll be making it this year for Thanksgiving! Yes, you will want to use a larger dish since you’re making more and you want it to cook evenly. Okay, we’ve got the topping. with a lot less work! . eggs, for the topping: I have never made any sweet potato dish ever! Thanks!! Add potatoes. Hi Renee! Their name says it all! That is a really good question and I’m not 100 percent sure. CROCK POT CORN CASSEROLE I made this recipe today for my office Thanksgiving luncheon, using two 40 oz cans of sweet potatoes packed in light syrup. INGREDIENTS Nutrition. These sweet potato casserole recipes are ideal for Thanksgiving--you can choose between marshmallow or pecans, or insist on having both, or neither! Place potatoes into a large mixing bowl. Hi Kelly, it is white sugar in the filling and brown sugar as the topping. In a large bowl, mash the sweet potatoes and stir in melted butter, milk, sugar, vanilla extract and beaten eggs. The pecan praline topping on this is my favorite but I will never turn down a good ole marshmallow topping either. I want to make this for a pot luck lunch at work. I usually go with Bruce’s yams since that is what Wal-Mart and Kroger near me carry. Preheat oven to 350f degrees. Oct 30, 2018 - These candied yams are a must for Thanksgiving! Going to grill your turkey this year? Love hearing that you made it your own!! Just a note about the sugar: A tart apple like a Granny Smith might need the full 1/4 cup called for in the recipe, but if you use a sweeter apple, you could dial back the sugar. Some play up the sweet in sweet potatoes, while others go to the savory side.