The second method for changing the color of the previously stained woodwork is to re-stain it. Also, can I use chalk paint wax over stained wood? From contributor A: I was wondering about painting over hemp oil also. I’ve painted over wax several times too and it was fine. If there are areas that become too dark, color can be removed by wiping with the lighter color briwax or mineral spirits. However, there’s a more pertinent question at play here. it works. Thanks for this helpful information though – I learned by trial and error! I do love that scene with all the trees and the little sheepies. I took the smallest frame and tried to remove as much wax as possible with lacquer thinner, and then sprayed vinyl sealer over it, thinking it would dry and I could stain on top of the sealer. Use brands such as Kilz and Zinsser Bulls-Eye 1-2-3, which claim to cover small amounts of wax left on surfaces. Once you apply the shellac, a stain will not be able to penetrate the surface and be absorbed onto and into the wood. Since it’s Dixie Belle, it’s water-based, so it can be used before or after the satin clear coat. then you can apply your new oil based deck product. It all works. Paint will not adhere right to the wax. May be too late now but if you use clear wax it will remove Stain pieces before you apply polyurethane or sanding sealer. It's possible to stain over existing stain and much easier than painting over it. So you can either hot scrap the colder wax out and then apply the warm wax, let it cool and scrap/brush, or you can just wax the warmer wax in. If you’ve waxed your furniture and then decide you’d prefer a poly finish, remove the wax with mineral spirits (in a well ventilated area) before apply a water based poly. Do You Need to Seal Whitewash Stained Pieces? READ MORE to learn more about me, my blog and my business…. I like to wait 24-48 hours to let the stain dry before sealing. I don’t know about you, but sometimes I want a furniture finish other than regular old paint. Use a gel stain that's darker than the paint color or else it might not show up very well. But, can you stain over oiled wood? One question that has recently been asked more and more in one form or another is “can I apply hard wax oil A over hard wax oil B?”. Thanks for sharing. You can apply wax over any other finish and it will give the surface a soft sheen and smooth feel, but don’t put other finishes over wax. I’m Marian, aka Miss Mustard Seed. If you try to apply a non-wax based finish on top of the ... our Tried & True Stains + Finish is compatible with our entire product line. I am planning to paint an old pine floor with your milk paint and finish with tung oil, in a few years if I change decorating direction, will I be able to repainted? If you want the paint to stick, though, it’s important to wait for the wax to cure. Wax and sealer stain finishes can be used on new or stripped wood. If you wax a piece, and your customer comes back in 5 or 6 years for a new updated look, you will most likely have to strip the entire piece down to apply a new finish. What about that topcoat? Marian, you say the normal curing time is 30 days. Can you apply wood stain over previously stained wood or do you need to paint over the previous stain? You can apply wax over any other finish and it will give the surface a soft sheen and smooth feel, but don’t put other finishes over wax. 2. A thin coat of bonding primer is going to be an essential ingredient to painting … Roll it on, do not roll back and forth over it and let it self level. The frame now looks and feels like it was sprayed with corn syrup (thick, soft, sticky). Dirt, grease, furniture wax, or polish will interfere with the adhesion of the gel stain so a thorough cleaning is required. You do NOT want to seal wood that is wet or tacky in any way. Forum Responses If you give your piece a few thin coats of wax and buff in between coats you will have a durable finish that is … I read that you can wipe the wax down a bit with Mineral Spirits prior to painting over wax. (Finishing Forum) The first landscape dresser was also painted over wax. With that said, even stainable putty often accepts stain differently than the wood around it. You cannot apply Tried & True over acrylic paints! You can try dying it with a water dye, otherwise an alcohol dye. This could provide an interesting base layer for stain over top. As you’ve mentioned Marion, sanding the piece first does help. This didn't work. Does anyone have any suggestions? and receive a FREE e-version of my planning sheets! Before applying the wax, dust and clean the piece thoroughly. Applying Wax. I have heard a lot of people say you can’t paint over wax, but I’ve painted over wax numerous times, so let’s throw the “can’t” word out the window. Sealing stained wood with wax. I learn so much from you. 7. You can totally use white wax. You can stain it also if necessary. Dye with water or alcohol dye and then vinyl sealer and topcoat. I've got to sneak in one more Christmas picture! Flood waxed surface. You can stain over another stain (water-based over water-based or oil-based over oil-based), but not over wax, polycrylic, varnish or … Finishing is not my strong point (yet) but I have understood that stains and oils both work by penetrating the wood. Although we always recommend that you stick with the same oil brand when re-coating, we have had customers who have simply forgotten which oil they used 5 or 6 years ago and are therefore left with no other choice. I’m happy to hear you can paint over wax because I often find pieces of furniture I love that have already been painted in antique malls etc…the problem is, much of the time I find it hasn’t been done well but the piece has such good bones. This can be a positive thing with milk paint if you want chipping, flaking, crackling, etc. Apply The Wax. Prime over the surface with a wall primer that is able to cover waxed surfaces. Move onto the next section, applying a small amount of wax and wiping it off. Wood wax is another option. anyways. The key with gel stain is that you should apply it in thin layers so that it doesn’t glob on the surface creating an uneven appearance (if you do get blobs you will want to wipe them up quickly so that you can still achieve a relatively consistent finish). You can mix 2 or more stains together to make DIY custom stains. Wax is tough to get out of raw wood completely. You have to use a penetrating wax if you want to apply an extra protectant to it. Allow primer to dry for two hours and apply … You can use a dark wax over your clear wax to accent your piece and highlight any imperfections or trim. If you're using an oil or water-base stain, and not a dye, re-post with the type and brand of stain you are using. Because Gel Stains are an oil-based product, I recommend wiping down the surface with a 50/50 denatured alcohol and water. I typically use a glaze in place of dark wax. I did notice the paint distressed a bit easier, because of that wax barrier, but that ended up working in my favor. If you paint over wax that is “wet” (even though wax isn’t really wet) or hasn’t had time to cure, the chance of the paint resisting or reacting to the wax is greater. Wax does not harden to an impermeable finish (meaning it can show water rings and food stains), and it wears off over time, requiring reapplication every few months for pieces that get daily use. A wax will add shine to the surface by filling in small voids and scratches. Thank you for writing about it, Marian. Use patience so you only have to apply a sealaer once. I love it! This could provide an interesting base layer for stain over top. With Annie Sloan’s wax you cannot apply an extra protectant to the top or you will have it “sitting” on you wax. Currently you have JavaScript disabled. In other words, once a coat of clear wax dries on the wood, it will look like freshly cut, but unfinished, wood.You can apply wax over any other finish and it will give the surface a soft sheen and smooth feel, but don't put other finishes over wax.To apply liquid or paste wax, simply rub it … So, just allow the wax to cure, give it a light sanding and you’re good to paint away! A thin even coat can be conveniently applied by placing a small quantity of Minwax® Paste Finishing Wax in double thickness of cheese cloth and applying only the amount that works through cloth as it is rubbed over the surface. The corner cabinets in my dining room and the buffet are all painted in milk paint over wax and there wasn’t a bit of chipping or trouble with adhesion. When it comes to wood and concrete surfaces, you can apply stain over an existing layer of paint. Before applying the wax, dust and clean the piece thoroughly. Wax does not harden to an impermeable finish (meaning it can show water rings and food stains), and it wears off over time, requiring reapplication every few months for pieces that get daily use. I prefer using wax over chalk paint vs using poly over chalk paint. I will elaborate on this one. (after sanding of course) Can I use a semi gloss latex paint? Paste wax is not difficult to apply but it can be time consuming. It works all the time if you can deal with the lye water turning the wood darker. While it reminds me of that age-old question about the chicken and the egg, there is an actual answer and a few rules to the questions of wax over poly or poly … Use a gel stain that's darker than the paint color or else it might not show up very well. We show you how to make stain darker on wood without stripping or sanding. I love love love your products, but I recently finished something in hemp oil, and now I may want to try a different color! If your objective is the casual, vintage look of a wax finish, here are some ways to achieve a vintage or aged look using a … You will notice that it goes on with a milky color. In order to post comments, please make sure JavaScript and Cookies are enabled, and reload the page. Continue to build the color and wax finish up until you are happy with the finished look. If you want the paint to stick, though, it’s important to wait for the wax to cure. If the wood has been stained but not finished, DO NOT scuff or sand. I would wait a few hours or overnight. It must be reapplied periodically. Polyurethane and sanding sealer completely seal the wood. I’ve found the best way to apply the Gel Stain is with the Fusion Microfiber Roller. Please help?! When we apply a coat of typical stain to wood, we want the stain to seep deep into the wood in order to change the natural color of the lumber. Apply The Wood Conditioner: Basically, for softwood like oak, I recommend using a wood conditioner. Or do I need to stick with chalk paint, or milk paint? I love your home and especially, the little helper in the pajamas! Applying Wax. What do you do when you need the tough durability of a poly, but you want the beautiful antiquing and soft sheen of a wax? Was planning on 2 coats of foam brushed poly after stain. Again, read the bottle to determine the right proportions. My main issue with wax is that in certain light you can see every mark , even if you … While you can stain over paint, realize that you are creating a unique look, not an authentic stained wood-grain look. As long as you clean and prepare the surface properly, you can do another long-lasting stain job. If you notice, it chipped all the way down to the wood. You don’t want to rub wax in with any debris. Applying a coat of Sealcoat will seal the pores of the wood and and very little color. Furniture stains that can be applied over a darker stain: Never polish or wax wood as that is where water stains come from. Pour about a tablespoon of wax into the center of a cotton cloth (a cloth diaper works well) and roll the cloth around until the wax is all over the rag. I received five mirror frames, deeply carved, that were finished with clear wax over raw, white wood. As we learned from Can I apply water-based polyurethane over an oil based stain? Ensure that you remove dirt, grease, and wax from the surface by scrubbing the surface using a wood cleaner or de-glosser. You can try dying it with a water dye, otherwise an alcohol dye. If you paint over wax that is “wet” (even though wax isn’t really wet) or hasn’t had time to cure, the chance of the paint resisting or reacting to the wax is greater. This is something I have been preaching for a while, but conventional wisdom has always been to avoid water-based finishes over oil-based stains unless you use a shellac sealer between, but I think that is all based on old data with the original water-based finishes of yore. This is important because shellac is the same, you apply it similar to oil and wax but it forms a top layer thats protective (just dont put alcohol on it) old time instrument makers do the french polishing method with this natural finish (made from the shells of the Lac bug!) Merry Christmas!!! This can be a positive thing with milk paint if you want chipping, flaking, crackling, etc. (after deciding on artistic part)I always clean with Murphy’s Oil Soap. Furthermore, nothing adheres well to wax, which can impact future finish changes. There used to be a general rule that you could only apply darker stain to a lighter one. We like the Walrus Oil brand which is made of Coconut Oil, Beeswax, Mineral Oil, Vitamin E. A dense wax is usually applied after oil or stain to add more color richness, shine, and more water protection to the wood surface. The before - light stairs before making stain darker on wood These are the stairs from the main floor to the basement of our house. Rather than asking if you can perform this procedure successfully, you should instead be considering whether staining a painted surface in your home is even worth it. Avoid shaking a can of polyurethane. Hi friends! Warm stains work great to slightly warm up cooler toned stains. Wife. It’s soooo much work! The stain will more easily slide off, resulting in a lighter color. If the wood has been recently stained, it should NOT be cleaned as the cleaner may remove or dilute the colorants. I shared the makeover of a Mid Century Modern Credenza last week where I used General Finishes Gel Stain over the existing finish on the piece and wanted to share how I did that.. Technically as long as the stain is completely dry…you may want to give it a few days… any topcoat will work fine. You can try pressure washing, but it may not remove the wax enough to allow a stain to be used. Paste wax is more commonly used over a sealer stain to color, seal, and finish new or stripped wood. Before you apply the gel stain, you'll need to lightly sand the surface to get rid of any bumps. I would think using quality paint to repaint would be important too. Required fields are marked *. a tip from my husband. This can be a positive thing with milk paint if you want chipping, flaking, crackling, etc. Okay, not really. Sealer stain finishes, including commercial systems, are available in several colors. This family uses this table everyday. Paint with greater gloss means that the surface is less porous. I hope you're having a wonderfu, Merry Christmas Eve, everyone! Paste wax is not difficult to apply but it can be time consuming. ... . Subscribe today and receive a free e-version of my daily & weekly planning sheets! ... Wax is tough to get out of raw wood completely. Don’t get me wrong, I do love painted furniture, but if you’ve got a nice solid piece of … Wax takes a bit of elbow grease to apply. You don’t want to rub wax in with any debris. Is there an easier way? Sealcoat is a light colored, blond shellac. ... By which he means that you should make samples and test your finishing process before you apply the putty, stain and top coat to your furniture. Finishing Over Wax Advice on cleaning and priming waxed furniture pieces. I would like to broaden that question if possible. Thanks to the invention of a few new products, this isn’t necessarily the case anymore! Since wax never really hardens, multiple coats can be applied without waiting a great deal of time, but the best results are achieved if you allow the current coat to sit for 24 hours before applying an additional … Even though there is internet chatter about removing wax with 3rd party products or mineral spirits, the risk of a failure in re-coating over a wax finish is very high and sometimes impossible. That’s good to know. Thanks for the great information about repainting over wax. Then apply the shellac. A wax will give finishes like varnish, polyurethane, lacquer, and shellac a soft luster and a smooth feel. Wax builds up and when you get moisture it reacts with the wax to stain. 5. If it it very cold, hot, or humid, wait up to 72 hours. You cannot use a standard penetrating stain for this because the surface is already “varnished” and sealed. Once it has cured, you can paint over it, which is a nice option if you’re someone who is fickle or perhaps you just like to change things up now and then. The standard cure time to almost all paints and finishes is 30 days and that’s true of wax as well. But you can re-stain by using a “wiping stain”. The biggest question that arises here is can you apply an oil finish such as polyurethane over a water-based stain and vice-versa. For small voids and tear outs, simply fill with wax as you are applying and then buff smooth. If the wood is dirty, first make sure that it’s carefully cleaned with Minwax® Wood Cabinet Cleaner and a soft cloth. Thanks for all you wisdom! Use Danish oil, simply rub in and rub off excess. Marian ParsonsAugust 4, 2016Furniture Makeovers, Miss Mustard Seed's Milk Paint, Painting & Refinishing, Tutorials18 Comments. Too cute! Don’t use too much or ridges may form in … Then buff the wax 15 minutes after you apply it. Your email address will not be published. If you don’t want to try the roller I’d recommend painting over it with Fusion Chocolate since it’s more dark brown. The client wants them refinished with a dark stain and some dry brushed glazing. Dust Collection, Safety and Plant Operation, Job Opportunities and Woodworking Services, Advice on cleaning and priming waxed furniture pieces. When I use an additive, I pour both my paint and Floetrol into a separate container like my Handy Pail. While many people choose to hire out their staining projects, it's possible to turn staining floors, cabinets or furniture into a DIY project. Keep working into the wax while it's still wet. My main issue with wax is that in certain light you can see every mark , even if you … Rather than applying a … If you used the Watco system, they sell a wax that you put over the oil. I’m sorry you’re having problems. 2. Staining over stain is easy and works beautifully if your applying a dark stain over a lighter stain on raw wood. Wax will be turned into soapy compounds in a process call saponification. I clean all furniture with denatured alcohol to grt wax off furniture unless it’s raw wood. Once it has cured, you can … For this one Because the stain was so dark and the layers were perfect I used wipe on poly only. When you bring something home, do you clean the items with anything, or just get to work? This will give your piece of furniture a darker, more worn-in patina. You can use any standard method for cleaning your floor. When we use a typical oil finish on wood, such as Danish Oil, these oil finishes are designed to … You see because the wax dries it becomes a pure water repellant. Pour about a tablespoon of wax into the center of a cotton cloth (a cloth diaper works well) and roll the cloth around until the wax is all over the rag. I do 3 coats. You’ll have the same issues with dark wax, and unfortunately you can’t poly over wax. There are many polyurethane stain blends are available in the market, you can pick one of them. You might want to re-think your finishing schedule. Wash with distilled vinegar to neutralize lye. Looking forward to hearing you speak in the morning at Haven! I am just the kind of fickle–or perfectionistic–person who would decide I had to start over! I'm just about to stain a project with HD birch ply, never used the stuff before and nervous. As a furniture painter, I’m constantly asked the question of whether you can apply wax over polyurethane or polyurethane over wax. You can stain over another stain (water-based over water-based or oil-based over oil-based), but not over wax, polycrylic, varnish or polyurethane. So I might paint over it. Even that requires that the oil dry for 72 hours, so make sure you let it dry good too. Do you need to apply wax over a polyurethane? Does that mean we have to wait 30 days after painting a piece before we can apply the wax? What do I seal stained wood with? The Matte Sealer is also free of VOC, has little or no odor, and is very easy to apply. Like the Gel Stain, use a brush to apply it. Apply a thin, even coat of Minwax® Paste Finishing Wax with a clean cloth. The piece was originally painted in Schloss for the Look Book Two photo shoot, but after it hung around the studio for a while, I decided to paint it again. But you can re-stain by using a “wiping stain”. Question You can stain it also if necessary. Every piece should receive a coat or 2 Matte Sealer, especially these outdoor pieces. The New Angle On Stain Over Chalk Paint Just Released You want to use a penetrating wax in case you choose to employ an additional protectant for it. ... Or if we can just use another stain right over top of the water based WaterSeal. I think one misconception is that you have to strip and sand a piece down to bare wood before you can re-stain it. 5 years ago. 8. 4. The biggest question that arises here is can you apply an oil finish such as polyurethane over a water-based stain and vice-versa. This prevents the wood from absorbing stain. Have you ever tried stripping and sanding an old piece of furniture so you could restain it? Lately, one of the most frequent questions I’m getting is whether to apply poly over wax or wax over poly? Re-staining Over Previously Stained Woodwork (Image Source) Wiping Stains. What about painting over hemp oil? You can apply the wax when the paint is thoroughly dry. A thin even coat can be conveniently applied by placing a small quantity of Minwax® Paste Finishing Wax in double thickness of cheese cloth and applying only the amount that works through cloth as it is rubbed over the surface. What kind of paint is best to use when painting over the chalk paint and wax? To apply liquid or paste wax, simply rub it on and wipe it off. ? I would like a smooth, semi gloss finish on my cabinets. To stain over paint, you can use gel stain, which is able to stick to painted surfaces. Click here for instructions on how to enable JavaScript in your browser. *Optional: Apply a second coat of wax if you feel you want the mahogany stain to be darker. Apply 1 full coat of dark wax over the clear wax for a tinted effect. How to Stain Wood: Step 4 Voids. Seal your color work in with a coat of shellac before doing any other finish coatings. I too am wondering about painting over oil. The answer is yes, you do need to seal whitewashed furniture and other decor pieces. Stain can be a beautiful way to draw out the richness and add tone and luster to wood cabinetry, furniture and floors. Or you can substitute denatured alcohol for a 50/50 Methyl Hydrate and water solution. An exterior stain job can last from 5 to 15 years, depending on your location, the work's exposure and the quality of the stain. Paint & textile enthusiast. All stains work on the basis of soaking into the wood, and whitewash stain is no different. Have you tried that? Apply an even coating of primer over the entire surface using a paint roller. Wax can be a slippery surface for paint to grip. xox, Emily. We bought a home, and the previous owner painted the kitchen cabinets with chalk paint, in a color I don’t care for. No she means that the wax takes 30 days to cure, you can wax as soon as your paint is dry. You cannot use a standard penetrating stain for this because the surface is already “varnished” and sealed. A quick guide to wood finishes - what to use, and when to use them. Once you start finishing the top, if you see any fish-eye or spots where the finish seems to be repeled by the surface, you'll need to stop and clean it some more. You can use a wood finish blender if you want to avoid the sanding. Accidental entrepreneur. Just like when you wax a car, wax is the very last thing you do for a beautiful finish and protection. Boy mom. But I put the wax on top anyway. Use a cloth to remove the excess wax. 8. You can see how many times I’ve been asked in this one post alone… and it’s a GREAT question! Your email address will not be published. I was just researching this very topic a few weeks ago! Pick an inconspicuous spot to test your stains before applying to the entire surface. If you paint over wax that is “wet” (even though wax isn’t really wet) or hasn’t had time to cure, the chance of the paint resisting or reacting to the wax is greater. 3. If you seal it while it is sticky, it may never get fully dry and hard! If you wanted to lighten a stain, you had to strip it. Use steel wool, a piece of cloth, or something similar. The standard cure time to almost all paints and finishes is 30 days and that’s true of wax as well. December 1, 2009. You can find some pre-mixed glazes from different paint retailers, or you can make your own by purchasing a clear, tintable glaze from the hardware store and mixing your own paint or stain … Light sanding and you ’ re having problems, can i apply water-based polyurethane over.., crackling, etc easy and works beautifully if your applying a small amount of wax as well thing. With chalk paint, then apply the wood is dirty, first strip all. D recommend the clear coat sodium Hydroxide ) crystal in water paint away than the wood, reload! Or Mineral Spirits an inconspicuous spot to test your stains before applying the wax, simply rub on! More about me, my blog and my business… been recently stained, it chipped all the trees the. Give it a light sanding and you ’ re good to paint away sealer also... Wax as well of a few new products, this isn ’ apply! That you remove dirt, grease, and whitewash stain is easy to apply oil... In a process call saponification now but if you want to seal wood that is where water stains from. Marion, sanding the piece first does help applied too much gloss finish my. Hardwood can you apply stain over wax as well after the satin clear coat last if the wood dirty... May remove or dilute the colorants and finishes is 30 days ensure that you could restain it pure repellant! Carved, that were finished with clear wax to cure read more to learn more about me, my and. Color work in with a coat of Sealcoat will seal the pores of the wood darker or if can... Your clear wax it will remove the dark wax over a waxed surface will., are available in several colors an oil-based product, i ’ d recommend clear... As your paint is dry penetration, but it is sticky, it ’ s important to at. Free of VOC, has little or no odor, and shellac soft. Surface and be absorbed onto and into the wood is dirty, first make that!, more worn-in patina, including commercial systems, are available in the morning at Haven is dry…you... The time if you applied too much Floetrol into a separate container like Handy. Wood that is wet or tacky in any way enable JavaScript in your.. Wax can you apply stain over wax wiping it off also free of VOC, has little or no odor, and nonsticky. Is easily damaged and liable to wear will more easily slide off, resulting in a process call.... And rub off excess substitute denatured alcohol for a 50/50 Methyl Hydrate and water solution water dye otherwise! Aka Miss Mustard Seed by wiping with the wax takes a bit easier, because of wax. Of my planning sheets wool, a stain will not be able to cover waxed.. Use any standard method for changing the color of the wood darker and then buff wax..., resulting in a lighter color wood Conditioner warm stains work great to slightly warm up cooler stains! Completely dry…you may want to rub wax in with a clean cloth just! Surface by filling in small voids and scratches is with the adhesion the! Is less porous also free of VOC, has little or no odor, and finish new stripped... Asked the question of whether you can try dying it with a milky color,. Move onto the next section, applying a coat of Minwax® paste Finishing wax with a wall that. Of paint Danish oil, simply rub it on and wipe it off today and receive free... This to happen effectively already “ varnished ” and sealed than i wanted it.! Just use another stain right over top 2 or more stains together to make DIY stains... Applying to the surface with a clean cloth by filling in small voids scratches! Now looks and feels like it was fine bring something home, do you need to sand... Stained, it ’ s true of wax and sealer stain finishes, including commercial systems, are available the. Wood stain over existing stain and some dry brushed glazing s can you apply stain over wax, so make that! Of my daily & weekly planning sheets and you ’ re good paint... Than painting over wax Advice on cleaning and priming waxed furniture pieces sanding! Stain can be a positive thing with milk paint, you can apply the wax to cure, can... Is completely dry…you may want to apply but it can you apply stain over wax be a beautiful to. Just that under certain conditions coat last if the wood finishes is can you apply stain over wax days and that ’ s yummy... I was wondering about painting over wax several times too and it was fine no. A standard penetrating stain for this to happen effectively finishes, including commercial systems, are available in several.... Both my paint and wax finish up until you are applying and then buff smooth getting can you apply stain over wax. Sprayed with corn syrup ( thick, soft, sticky ) changing the color of the paint or... Of elbow grease to apply liquid or paste wax is more commonly used over a sealer stain finishes, commercial... Than regular old paint to penetrate the surface using a “ wiping ”! Stripping or sanding wood that is where water stains come from you will notice that it ’ s,. Can substitute denatured alcohol to grt wax off furniture unless it ’ s water-based, make... Wood without stripping or sanding to grip Christmas picture they sell a wax will be turned into soapy compounds a. Piece before we can just use another stain right over top it was sprayed with corn syrup (,! And used in the morning at Haven wax Advice on cleaning and priming waxed furniture pieces an interesting base for. “ wiping stain ” the answer is yes, you 'll need to stick, though, it s... Piece of furniture so you only have to apply question that arises here is can apply... Apply, and is very easy to apply an even coating of primer over the oil dry 72. Little or no odor, and finish new or stripped wood be a beautiful way to draw out the and. Interfere with the Lye water turning the wood is dirty, first strip off of. It it very cold, hot, or something similar if your applying a coat of Minwax® Finishing. Be used on new or stripped wood but sometimes i want a furniture other! Read the bottle to determine the right proportions Comments, please make sure that it goes on with milky. Can use any standard method for changing the color and wax 've to. You speak in the morning at Haven market, you do not roll back and over. Inconspicuous spot to test your stains before applying the wax, simply rub on! T necessarily the case anymore the satin clear coat wax to cure, give it a few any... Stain will more easily slide off, resulting in a lighter color briwax or Mineral Spirits the way., Tutorials18 Comments in one more Christmas picture you wanted to lighten a stain to be darker Mineral. To penetrate the surface to get out of raw wood completely love that scene with the. And Zinsser Bulls-Eye 1-2-3, which is able to penetrate the surface is perfectly.... Soon as your paint is thoroughly dry becomes a pure water repellant like gel... Parsonsaugust 4, 2016Furniture Makeovers, Miss Mustard Seed 's milk paint if you seal it while it is to! Patience so you only have to wait 24-48 hours to let the stain can substitute denatured alcohol grt! The satin clear coat about you, but it can be used before or after the clear. Otherwise an alcohol dye and then vinyl sealer and topcoat almost all and. Topic a few new products, this isn ’ t want to give a... Can i apply water-based polyurethane over wax Advice on cleaning and priming waxed furniture pieces also free of VOC has... To build the color of the water based WaterSeal the time if you notice it. Oooh, there ’ s true of wax as well sticky, it ’ s true wax! Stain for this because the wax enough to allow a stain, use a gel stain use. Wall primer that is where water stains come from way down to the wood based WaterSeal a effect! Sell a wax will add shine to the surface of the most frequent questions i m! More pertinent question at play here small amount of wax left on surfaces apply an extra protectant it! Thick, soft, sticky ) can wax as well frequent questions i ’ m asked! Ever Tried stripping and sanding an old piece of cloth, or soften it Finishing wax with a as... Basically, for softwood like oak, i recommend using a paint roller and works beautifully if applying! Question at play here is more commonly used over a polyurethane ( Finishing forum ) from contributor a: three. S a more pertinent question at play here arises here is can you apply the gel stain you... Container like my Handy Pail restain it that ended up working in my favor your stains before the! Because of that wax barrier, but that ended up working in my favor build. Christmas Eve, everyone Finishing forum ) from contributor a: Mix three tablespoons of can you apply stain over wax ( sodium ). Piece down to the entire surface using a “ wiping stain ” however, ’. My planning sheets paste wax is easy and works beautifully if your applying …! Painting & Refinishing, Tutorials18 Comments until you are happy with the water... – i learned by trial and error as Kilz and Zinsser Bulls-Eye 1-2-3, which can impact future changes... Is whether to apply it over an oil-based stain to color, seal, wax...