The more water you add to the paint, the lighter your color will become, so mix with less water for darker, more vibrant colors and more water … They have pigments emulsified in water (waterborne paints), after all, and are not solvent-based. The smooth blending that you can achieve with oils is the result of their slow drying time. You can also switch out the water and use the liquid starch instead. Gouache paint, like both watercolor and acrylic paint, is a watermedia: a pigment that has to be mixed with water in order to be spread across a surface. 3-Alcohol visual texture. Acrylic paints can be diluted with water, but are water-resistant when dry. When you do add water, try not to add more than 25%. For example, if you add an acrylic retarder with your paint, it will decelerate the drying time so that it acts more like an oil-based paint. Though it would not be archival. Or you can use them in the consistency as they come out of the tube. This is fun to use this technique, because the paint will go wherever the water is. Liquid starch is a much more dense liquid and will often allow for the paint to sit at the top, allowing for you to dip an item into it for marbling. Step 1: Make the Watercolor Base: Mix 1 cup hot water with ½ cup Gum Arabic Powder; Add in 1/5 cup honey (a little less than ¼ cup) Add two drops of clove or thyme essential oil to help preserve it; Preservative Note: If you want a stronger preservative you can use sodium benzoate – a food grade preservative - 1/2 - 1 tsp. Without the honey, the pan will take a long time to get wet and ‘release’ any colour onto the brush. Some, like the muller and pans, are optional. What can I use instead of gum arabic? The honey draws in more of the water. No need to mix the paint in the wells, just leave the dot of concentrated paint for when you want to mix a higher saturated color. You could technically use watercolor paper for an oil paint color mixing chart as well. I'll usually thin the paint with some acrylic medium, or add just enough water to thin the paint without making it runny. You can also add mediums to make your acrylics crackle, shimmer, or dry even faster. This will allow the color to remain, but will remove the paint's thickness. Create a beautiful and simple watercolor effect using paint pens or regular acrylics. You can also watch the tutorial in the video below. Feel free to use multiple colors! Splatter last. Color Harmony – Plan the color scheme of your painting at the start. The paint dissolves when you add water allowing the pigment to spread with a brush. You can add rain to any type of painting, an acrylic street scene or watercolor landscape, for instance. In his art video, Improve Your Water Painting Techniques in Watercolor, Gordon MacKenzie demonstrates three approaches to the subject and shows that learning how to paint water can be fun, with achievable results right away. If you’re using a regular acrylic paint, you will want two brushes. Because, yes you can! Add honey. You can also use ink or acrylic paint to make these paintings. Acrylic paint is actually a type of plastic and the sun and temperatures tend to make it dry faster. Saturate the color completely into the wood, but work quickly so that the acrylic color does not yet begin to dry. Then, while the paper is still wet, you simply add your paints on top of this layer of water. Next time you want to paint stars in the sky, splatter them! Experiment mixing color and water to create shades on a spare paper, have a wide range of shades. Acrylic and watercolor paint will never, ever behave the same way, but a wash can do wonders make acrylic paint more watercolor-like. It will dry slowly on the palette but remain usable like a watercolor pan. These differences include, color, surface, and usability and the way they are made, etc. And, unlike watercolor, adding water does not make more acrylic paint. You can make acrylics as thick and as glossy as oils by mixing acrylic gel into the paint. Dilute your acrylic paint with a little water to make splattering easier. Gum Arabic is a paste-like solution which you can mix directly with the paints or add it to the mixing water. ... Pour the liquid watercolor paint into a small bowl. Make sure if you ware making the watercolor version that you let the paint dry out before capping so it won’t mold. I achieve this by adding little bits of water at a time with a brush. After sketching, I set out my Mijello Fusion Leakproof palette and found the colors I wanted to use. 4. Think of it like an accent color on your painting, and be deliberate when you use it. Choose your color palette. You can grab the Posca pens that I used on this painted rock here. 2. Acrylic painting outdoors can be more challenging. If you use an acrylic paint that has the consistency you prefer, then you may not have to dilute the paint with water. Unlike acrylics, watercolor paint remains water-soluble when dry, so you can always "reactivate" it with a wet brush. “Artists’ colors” are the highest quality watercolor paints.