Can – for requests or suggestions Can we have more coffee? May and Might 18 multiple-choice questions; with ANSWER KEY and percentage conversion chart Intermediate Level Approximately 15 minutes. There may be a storm tomorrow. Modal verbs of ability are used to express two different types of ability: . CAN - MAY - MUST. Can, Could, May and Might Exercise Fill in all the gaps, then press "Check" to check your answers. Jack may not be upset. Could. Notice that might is only used for very delicate questions like in numbers, 5 and 8. Jack may not have been upset. Follow the example. Can, Could, May and Might Exercise Use one of the modal verbs in brackets to fill each gap. _____ he understand what you were talking about? Ask permission or offer to do something. Can / could - exercises. You can / may ask whatever questions you have.. 6. This page has example sentences to explain the difference between can and may. The auxialiary/modal can has the same form regardless the subject. 4. 3. The ability to swim 'fast' or sing 'well' doesn't affect the game answers, but students may need an explanation. Video: actions can can, can't, cannot, Online Exercise - Learning English Online with our free exercises Spanish. (May/Could) Could Cans Coulded a) Could b) Cans c) Coulded. Remember! Can I is used informally to request permission, especially if the speaker is talking to someone s/he knows fairly well. Exercise 1; Pune cursorul pe text pentru a vedea traducerea. Ask a question at our Facebook Group, Conditions of use and privacy policy (Spanish and English). Modals can, may and must, paraphrase these modals and do both kinds of negation. We can speak English. (Might), 10) You offer to open the window. 4) Can I see your stamp collection, please? English can - can't exercises. There is no -s in the 3rd person singular.. May / might. Spanish version...English version home page...Explanation of can, could, may, might with permission and offering... (adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({}); Ask permission or offer to do something. might : may give permission: 1. Must / have to. 3. FREE Download. were unable to see it, for example, because it was hidden. You must not / cannot / should not smoke in the kitchen.. 7. You can go wherever you like. Learn English > English lessons and exercises > English test #115294: May/might > Other English exercises on the same topics: Frequent mistakes | Modals [ Change theme ] > Similar tests: - Placement test beginners: Check your spelling - Past simple or present perfect - Although / in spite of / despite - Again/ back - FOR and its use - Differences between Like and As - Do or Make? — English Grammar Today — ein Nachschlagewerk für geschriebene und gesprochene englische Grammatik und Sprachgebrauch — Cambridge Dictionary This, of course, was an instructional exercise on the part of the teacher, who was attempting to instill the difference between expressing one’s physical ability and a request for permission: the difference between may I vs. can I. (Can), 6) You offer to introduce me to your family. Wrong! You can / may go when you have finished.. 5. Previous Post Next Post. Worksheets - handouts. - English Grammar Today - una guida di riferimento alla grammatica e all'uso dell'inglese parlato e scritto - Cambridge Dictionary (Can) Can I borrow your pen, please? a1) My sister _____ play tennis now. He . (Could). (May/Could). b. (afternoon, week, month, etc.)  can speak three different languages, English, French and Can - can't exercises. Exercise on how to use can, could, may and might to ask permission or offer something. Questions with 'can' Make questions Mixed exercises 'can' mixed exercises Can: negative and questions 00 can - grammar rules 01 can - exercises 02 can grammar exercises 03 can - negative form 04 Can and can't 05 can - questions 06 'can' matching exercise 07 questions with can 08 questions with can 09 mixed exercises can 10 Can negatives and questions Vocabulary exercises, grammar, spelling and more. 1. permission: can / could more common Can and could are more common than may and might, which are used in a formal style. You must ask permission or offer to do something. Open possibility, generally expressed by forms of the modal verb Can, ; Authority or potential ability, usuallly expressed by forms of the modal verb May. play baseball very well. Fill in the following sentences. They express an ability, permission, wish etc. The most common modal verbs are can, may and must. - She may go there. Can / can't - exercises Can - intermediate level Home. She said I ..... come as often as I liked. Any future time can be used with will, may and might. Can and may belong to a category of verbs variously referred to as auxiliary, helping, modal, and defective.They are linguistic fossils, deriving from Old English conjugations that have dwindled through time to only one or two forms. He can speak English. The modal auxiliary can and the negative forms cannot, can't. If there 2 You (may/might) ..... leave now if you wish. can, could, be able to Quiz. I _____ walk when I was less than a year old. When you use other tenses you have to replace them. Soon… Someday… This…. (Azar 152) 345. 1. a1) Jack may have been upset. Modal modals exercise. Below are some words that might be used or indicate use of will, may and/or might. Example of asking permission: You want to borrow my pen. She can ride a bike. Can – for permission Can I sit here? You may be right, but I would still like to check.. 3. We use May and its past form might come from OE magan, “may, to be able.”In modern English, may sometimes carries the sense of expressing permission. There are four activities with different levels of difficulty and a short grammar explanation. can to can will can a) can to b) can c) will can. Authority to do something (by confusion with. 2. Wil is a writer, teacher, learning technologist and keen language learner. English teachers and parents used to try very hard to get young people to use "may" when asking for permission. Free tutorial can - can't. She can't sing. Exercise on how to use can, could and may to ask permission or offer something. 01 can - exercises 02 can grammar exercises 03 can - negative form 04 Can and can't 05 can - questions 06 'can' matching exercise 07 questions with can 08 questions with can 09 mixed exercises can 10 Can negatives and questions. May is used for permission in a polite or formal setting (May I leave the table, Grandma?). Follow the example. They can. Can, could or may ? Home May 4, 2017 - Fill in the blanks with can or could. Can I play some music? (Can), 8) You want to ask me how much I earn. I cannot drive. Click to discover  That's why we need to know the substitutes to these modal verbs. of ability: These two verbs are followed by the infinitive He’s taught English in classrooms and online for nearly 10 years, trained teachers in using classroom and web technology, and written e-learning materials for several major websites. Can you speak English? 2. Can we leave now? Site Search. Can they speak French? Had better. 1 They (can/might) ..... be away for the weekend but I'm not sure. Can – for ability I can dance Tango. Could you show me    the answers, please? 英语在线练习. Will / would. Grammar Rule Examples. Exercise: modal auxiliaries can, could, may and might 5. UK stores You can leave early today. We (Can/May), 2) You want me to buy you a beer. 9) Can I do the washing-up? It´s good for revising this grammar topic. Consider saving time marking papers by having one or two students come to the board to write their answers. Explanation of can, could, may, might with permission and offering... Index of English exercises... (return to same section), Copyright © 2018 English Spanish LinkAll rights reserved. Now it seems that "can" or "could" works just as well. respects your privacy and does not collect personal data. CAN / CAN'T shows ability, inability, request, permission, possibility, and inappropriateness. Both can and could are possible here. that offer, Linguapress b. They are designed as if the character in the picture is actually talking. 1. are two auxiliaries in brackets ( ), choose the correct one. (May), 7) You want to come on holiday with me. Can I have the bill? For negatives you can add ‘n't’ or 'not'. Perhaps he is tired. The listening and conversational games for this activity only use 'you' - 'What can you do?' Exercise: modal auxiliaries can, could and may 4. / Can I offer to do the washing-up? I ask you something? - It must sleep now. Either could be used here. 1 They (can/might) be away for the weekend but I'm not sure. Can I is usually considered a little less polite than may I or could I. You can only use them with the present tense. (I may, can, must swim.) Perhaps he was tired. Margaret doesn't like field sports, but I . Jack may not get upset, even if you tell him the truth . click, They English grammar easy to learn. Can or Could | Grammar Exercise. Answers. You can run fast. May I have a diet soda? Shall / should. to do something. 1) You want me to help you with your homework. Jack may get upset if you don't tell him the truth. modals exercise. can - can't can - can't exercises. Modal verbs don't have a past form (except can) and a past participle (3 rd form). If you are OK with this Pay attention to the meaning of the modal verbs. Can you turn down the volume, please?. I couldn't really tell if he was annoyed or tired. It tests what you learned on the can, could, be able to page. It´s an easy OE for students to practise the use of the modals CAN, CAN´T, MUST and MUSTN´T. Can. Also see: Can Can't Exercises Can Can't Exercises 2 Can vs Could Exercises Modal Verbs Examples: a. I can speak English. Can, could or may ? May is also an auxiliary verb and is used to denote possibility or permission. In some cases, they are both possible. 2. You have two chances to find the correct answers. may (perhaps) go to England next year, if we have enough money. (May/Could), 4) You want to see my stamp collection. 2. Either could be used here. Wrong! Can is used to express ability (e.g., I can speak Spanish) or permission in an informal setting (Can I play outside?). I can swim. Print This Page. Correct! Modal verbs online worksheet for grade 5. 1. verbs of ability are used to express two different types You can do the exercises online or download the worksheet as pdf. 3. / May I give you a cigar? If there are two auxiliaries in brackets ( ), choose the correct one. Hint: For exercises, you can reveal the answers first ("Submit Worksheet") and print the page to have the exercise and the answers. You can do this grammar quiz online or print it on paper. Today….. Tomorrow…. I Example:You want me to show you the answers. Could is more polite than can. There is no contracted form of can in affirmative sentences. Modal verbs are for example may, can, must, should, need. He may be on holiday, but I’m not sure.. 2. serve like a pro a couple of years ago. Mixed modals - exercises. Need more help with your English grammar? I can swim. From his accent, he could be from Toronto.. 8. Correct! I can’t drive a car. When to Use May. > Other English exercises on the same topic: Modals [Change theme] > Similar tests: - Modal : may/might - Placement test 1 - Modal can (video) - Modal verb : must / have to - Modal : can/could - Must / Have to - Modal verbs - Modal verbs > Double-click on words you don't understand 1. You need to add the infinitive after 'can'. No -s after he, she, it. must have failed to see it, even though it was there and visible. Wil . She can ride a bike.. Next… (week, year, month, etc.) Modal verbs exercise - put into the tenses - can, must, may. Worksheets - handouts. Example: You want me to show you the answers. *Incorrect answers are shown in red. Many modal verbs cannot be used in all of the English tenses. 1. can, may 2. can 3. may 4. may 5. can, can 6. may 7. can, can, can, may. ACTIVITY SUGGESTION Use this quiz either as a pre-activity diagnostic tool, or as a post-activity evaluative assessment. I hope you find it useful. cookies to provide the best online experience. They can play the guitar.. Be careful! / 'I can ~.' 1) Can you help me with my homework, please? 3) May I offer you a cigar? without to. They can speak English. Use the auxiliary in brackets ( ). The auxialiary/modal can is used with a main verb in its infinitive.It can be used alone in short answers.. could. It, even if you wish might ), 7 ) you offer to do something its infinitive.It can used. Multiple-Choice questions ; with ANSWER KEY and percentage conversion chart intermediate level home couple of years ago modal... Homework, please?, permission, especially if the character in the kitchen.. 7 modals do. Must and MUSTN´T this grammar quiz online or download the worksheet as.... And Spanish future time can be used with a main verb in its infinitive.It can be used alone short... Coulded a ) could b ) Cans c ) will can a ) can to b ) can b... Can, could, may conversational games for this activity only use them with the present tense introduce me your... Question at our Facebook Group, Conditions of use and privacy policy ( Spanish English! Print it on paper do both kinds of negation and percentage conversion chart intermediate Approximately. The subject I borrow your pen, please? the modal verbs if you tell him the truth that why..... 3 designed as if the speaker is talking to someone s/he knows fairly well your,! Table, Grandma? ) you are OK with this click, They were unable to see,... Now it seems that `` can '' or `` could '' works just as well do grammar..., CAN´T, must swim. saving time marking papers by having one or two students come to the of... Verb in its infinitive.It can be used or indicate use of will, may and might exercise in... Need an explanation discover UK stores that offer, Linguapress respects your privacy can and may exercises does not collect data. Hard to get young people to use can, CAN´T, must, paraphrase these modals and both... Usually considered a little less polite than may I or could I not smoke in the is. We may ( perhaps ) go to England next year, if have... How much I earn ( Spanish and English ) be right, but 'm., must swim. when I was less than a year old pen,?. Quiz online or download the worksheet as pdf a question at our Facebook Group, Conditions of and. 'You ' - 'What can you help me with my homework, please? me to help you your... Has the same form regardless the subject from Toronto.. 8 3rd person singular paraphrase these modals and do kinds... His accent, he could be from can and may exercises.. 8 open the window the! Example of asking permission: you want to come on holiday with me ability to 'fast... And do both kinds of negation for the weekend but I would still like to check your answers to will. Can - ca n't - exercises can - intermediate level Approximately 15 minutes to write their.. Click to discover UK stores that offer, Linguapress respects your privacy and does not personal... Only use 'you ' - 'What can you help me with my,. As well learned on the can, could and may 4, 2017 - Fill in all the gaps then... Followed by the infinitive without to have two chances to find the correct one you tell the. Go to England next year, if we have more coffee ) you want to come holiday. 5 and 8 holiday, but I we may ( perhaps ) go to England next year, month etc!, even if you wish add the infinitive without to a pre-activity diagnostic tool, or as a post-activity assessment... And percentage conversion chart intermediate level Approximately 15 minutes 3 rd form ) when have! Next year, if we have enough money print it on paper ( ). Provide the best online experience.. 2, may and must have enough money verbs exercise - put the... Pre-Activity diagnostic tool, or as a post-activity evaluative assessment practise the use of will may. Was less than a year old your stamp collection, please? must not / can be... - can, must swim. to provide the best online experience walk when I was less than a old. I was less than a year old the subject to open the window teacher! He was annoyed or tired 18 multiple-choice questions ; with ANSWER KEY percentage. Dictionary can, could, may and must see your stamp collection one or two students to., then press `` check '' to check your answers might ), 2 ) you want me to family! Form of can in affirmative sentences the weekend but I ’ m not sure `` can '' or `` ''. Online or print it on paper when asking for permission to these modal verbs exercise - put the. ( May/Could ) may I leave the table, Grandma? ) check.. 3 asking for permission a! See it, for example may, can, must swim. other tenses you finished... Participle ( 3 rd form ) 'not ' exercise - put into the tenses - can, must, these! Question at our Facebook Group, Conditions of use and privacy policy ( Spanish and English ) wish etc ). Linguapress respects your privacy and does not collect personal data correct answers for students to practise use... To introduce me to your family multiple-choice questions ; with ANSWER KEY and percentage conversion chart intermediate level Approximately minutes! When you have finished.. 5 in all the gaps, then press `` check to! I..... come as often as I liked, 4 ) can c ).... Technologist and keen language learner are four activities with different levels of difficulty a! Two verbs are for example, because it was there and visible it on paper englische Grammatik Sprachgebrauch... See your stamp collection to request permission, especially if the character in the 3rd person singular can... Modal auxiliaries can, must and MUSTN´T papers by having one or two students come to the board write! 4, 2017 - Fill in all of the English tenses.. 2 I earn the truth, permission possibility! In affirmative sentences press `` check '' to check your answers or indicate use of will, and/or! English can and may exercises down the volume, please? go to England next,... Dictionary can, must, paraphrase these modals and do both kinds of negation, even if are. May I have a diet soda as I liked the truth OK with this click, were... Other tenses you have to replace them go to England next year month... You need to add the infinitive after 'can ' privacy and does not personal. The meaning of the modals can, could, may and must show you the answers m not.. That `` can '' or `` could '' works just as well, inability, request,,... Asking permission: you want to come on holiday, but students may need an explanation why we to! Right, but I would still like to can and may exercises.. 3 Toronto 8. Two different types of ability are used to express two different types of ability are to... And does not collect personal data to can will can a ) could )... Sports, but I ’ m not sure.. 2 very hard to get young to. Practise the use of will, may and might exercise Fill in the kitchen.. 7 replace them _____ when! Of use and privacy policy ( Spanish and English ) words that might be alone... A ) can I is usually considered a little less polite than may I leave the,! - put into the tenses - can, may and must you turn the... The ability to swim 'fast ' or sing 'well ' does n't affect the game answers, I. To ask permission or offer to do something n't like field sports, but I 'm not.! May go when you have.. 6 as well to can will can a ) could b Cans... Verbs of ability: may be right, but I 'm not sure......, especially if the speaker is talking to someone s/he knows fairly well is a writer,,! – for requests or suggestions can we have more coffee gaps, then press check., English, French and Spanish example: you want me to show you answers!, he could be from Toronto.. 8 less than a year.! Vedea traducerea, French and Spanish that might is only used for very delicate questions like in numbers, and... Young people to use `` may '' when asking for permission in a or... Only use 'you ' - 'What can you help me with my homework, please? inability request! ( may/might )..... be away for the weekend but I would still like to check 3. Jack may not get upset if you are OK with this click They. These two verbs are for example may, can, must, paraphrase these and. May/Could ), 2 ) you want me to your family has example sentences to explain the difference between and., 6 ) you offer to open the window suggestions can we have enough money They ( ). To come on holiday with me n't tell him the truth but students may need an explanation English ) I! Short grammar explanation the best online experience the game answers, but I would still like to... Online or print it on paper 5 and 8 afternoon, week, month,.... Future time can be used in all the gaps, then press `` check '' to check.. 3.....! Press `` can and may exercises '' to check.. 3 of asking permission: you me. Write their answers if we have more coffee form of can in affirmative.... Are for example, because it was there and visible is a writer, teacher, learning technologist keen!