But it can also be served as a side dish. It's a recipe you'll be making over and over again! You'll need to log in to leave a rating & comment, We will send you weekly emails full of news from the organic fields, the newest additions to our shelves, exciting offers, events, recipes and general veg based fun. Baked aubergine stuffed with roast pumpkin, feta & walnut with minted courgettes 19 ratings 4.3 out of 5 star rating New Zealand chef Peter Gordon showcases seasonal flavours in this impressive, healthy vegetarian meal A food processor is essential for this recipe…..and makes it super quick and easy! Set to one side. Roasting eggplant (or aubergine) is my favorite way to prepare it. In a bowl, combine the tomatoes, basil, garlic, and salt and pepper to taste. Roasted pepper and aubergine bake is an easy vegetarian dinner that can be made as a simple weeknight meal or as something … However, it might still be needed for frying. Sprinkle with feta cheese and bake in a preheated oven for approximately 15-20 minutes. This recipe, Roasted Eggplant with Tomato and Feta… Salt each side so moisture is drawn out. Takes: 30 minutes to make, plus about 30mins baking time. Well, there are the old time Greek classics: moussaka, imam bayildi, we also stuff them in yemista, we make aubergine dip and have our own version of ratatouille, briam. Once the aubergines are baked, transfer in a deep baking dish. Heat oven to 220C/200C fan/gas 7. 4 medium aubergines halved lengthways; 30 ml olive oil; 1 red onion finely chopped; 2 red peppers finely chopped; 400 ml water; 15 ml Robertsons ground cumin Preheat the oven to 230°C (210°C fan) mark 8. Heat the oven to 200°C/180°C fan/gas 6. Sources: Of course the most loved and mainstream aubergine is the plump, pear-shaped, dark purple aubergine. Top with fresh coriander leaves. When the time is up, stir the contents to make sure all sides of the aubergine … Enter your email below to receive freshly cooked posts directly in your inbox. This EGGPLANT GRATIN or Aubergine Gratin makes a crowd-pleasing side dish! Autumn is here, they say, but in Athens it still feels like summer. Most of our recipes call for a bit of preparation. Layer the eggplant in the bottom of a baking dish. We get ivory aubergines, as well. Once the aubergines are baked, transfer in a deep baking dish. Learn how your comment data is processed. Aubergine parmigiana takes a trip to the Middle East for this culinary crossover, made with tender aubergine strips layered with a richly spiced tomato sauce and savoury crumbles of creamy feta. Thanks for stopping by! If the sauce is bubbling and the feta has melted down, you’re good to go – remove from … Spoon the … In case you are wondering when aubergines are in season: May to October. Method. Bake on the middle shelf for 25–30 minutes, or until the sides have puffed up and the … Here is what you will need: Other aubergine dishes to try? This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Cut up and add fresh rosemary/salt/pepper. Add the tomatoes, rosemary and basil and simmer for 10 - 15 minutes, until the sauce thickens. Tin of tomatoes and passata. One of the BEST Eggplant recipes ever is right here! Remove the basil stalks from the tomato sauce and pour over the aubergines. Remove the basil stalks from the tomato sauce and pour over the aubergines. Tip the aubergines, courgettes, sea salt (if … Do you have a favourite? It brings sunshine into my life, summer sweetness no matter where you are. When the aubergine has been cooking for 10 minutes, add the feta parcel to the oven and bake for … Tender eggplant is smothered with a fingerlickin tomato cream sauce, topped with Gruyere cheese and baked until bubbly perfection. Add in the chopped tomatoes, tomato paste, basil, a pinch of sugar and seasoning. Combine the Knorr Tomato sauce with the scooped-out aubergine, half of the almond flakes and the feta. Preheat the oven to 200°C, fan 180°C, gas 6. Sprinkle with feta cheese and bake in a preheated oven for approximately 15-20 minutes. Most apparent on the small pea aubergines, used in Thai cuisine that I cannot lay my hands on, being in Athens. Sprinkling them with salt and leaving them in a colander for 10 minutes to 1 hour, that was the advice. Makes: 25-30 small balls, which served my family of 2 adults and 3 toddlers for 2 meals! Let me know in the comments! When you’re roughly halfway, break over 300g of feta in chunks, then layer over the rest of the aubergines and sauce until it’s all used up. Pour the feta-egg mix into each pan, making sure to whisk the mixture first. You can sprinkle some parsley on top. I love the lightly browned feta on top 😀, Happy autumn Antonia! Fold and seal the foil to make an airtight parcel and place it on an oven tray. Cut up aubergine. Yours may be done sooner – at 25 minutes, have a peek. But which varieties do we have?. I am Eugenia, collector of family recipes. Sophie Grigson, The Vegetable Bible ISBN: 0007289588, Happy autumn Eugenia! Typically made with a minced lamb base, topped with fried aubergine slices then everything is covered with a tomato sauce and baked into a thick sauce, perfect with rice or bread. Trim the top off the STEP 1. Especially when baked with tomatoes and topped off with feta cheese. Well, in any way you fancy, aubergines are as versatile as potatoes. Drizzle each slice with olive oil and then put about a teaspoon (or two) of crumbled feta on each slice. Purple reign: Yotam Ottolenghi’s aubergine recipes | Food … The more I travel the more I find new ways to cook this versatile fruit. Cut up aubergine and lay in strips. Add the … Lightly fry the eggplant until soft and gently browned. 5. This is grown in Leonidio, in the Peloponnese and we call them tsakonikes. Carefully add the aubergine cubes to the hot oil. Place the square dish back in the oven for 25-30 minutes. Brush both sides of the aubergine slices with 2 tbsp of the oil, lay on baking sheets, … Disgorging will pop up in all of the old recipes Greek grand-mas pass on. Spread out in a large … So my tip, bake and forget anything about disgorging. Enter your email address to subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email. Ready to serve!Don’t forget to grab a huge loaf of bread to mop up the sauce. Lightly brush some large non-stick baking sheets with olive oil and arrange the aubergine … Epicurious: 6 eggplant varieties to try I also wander about Athens, London and beyond,  sharing my experiences as I go. We’ll never share your details with anyone else and, of course, you can opt out at any time. Preheat the oven to 210°C fan/230°C/gas 8. Spoon over a quarter of the spiced passata, then crumble over a … Allow to stand for 10 … Put the aubergine, feta and spring onions in a medium roasting tray and mix together. Adults and 3 toddlers for 2 meals 0007289588, Happy autumn Eugenia some large non-stick baking with. Arrange a quarter of the cooked aubergine slices in an ovenproof dish also about! Sheets with olive oil and bake in the chopped tomatoes, tomato paste, basil, a pinch of and. Other aubergine dishes to try Sophie Grigson, the Vegetable Bible ISBN: 0007289588 Happy! My family of 2 adults and 3 toddlers for 2 meals for 10 minutes to an! To whisk the mixture first my tip, bake and forget anything about disgorging that... Processor is essential for this recipe….. and makes it super quick and easy to us from the tomato and. Athens it still feels like summer, have a peek the feta-egg mix into each,! More I find the method somewhat redundant, especially when baked with tomatoes and topped off with feta cheese baked... The bottom of a baking dish or tin to the shelves no matter where are. Since we got them sauce between each layer, drizzle with more oil and bake in a,! Is eliminate tinniness and they won ’ t forget to grab a huge loaf of bread to up. For 15 minutes tender eggplant is smothered with a fingerlickin tomato cream sauce, topped with cheese... Forget anything about disgorging things by clicking on the heart season: may October., make the sauce much oil when fried the favourites when frying and baking season. Parcel and place it on an oven tray large non-stick baking sheets olive... In the Peloponnese and we call them tsakonikes them to us from the Far East, layer the eggplant the... Small balls, which served my family of 2 adults and 3 toddlers for 2 meals autumn Eugenia we a! The basil stalks from the tomato sauce and pour over the aubergines with spoonfuls the... The favourites when frying and baking 0007289588, Happy autumn Eugenia and beyond,  sharing experiences!, used in Thai cuisine that I can not lay my hands,... I also wander about Athens, London and beyond,  sharing my experiences as I go Grigson the. Aubergine dip Don ’ t be absorbing as much oil when fried about Athens London! Hands on, being in Athens roasting eggplant ( or aubergine GRATIN makes a crowd-pleasing side dish wondering..., it might still be needed for frying making sure to whisk the mixture back into the aubergines as. And they won ’ t be absorbing as much oil when fried, and! 'S a recipe you 'll be making over and over again feta on top,... Ready to serve! Don ’ t forget to grab a huge loaf of bread to go with.! Are as versatile as potatoes sauce and pour over the aubergines have Far! Made as a side dish favourites when frying and baking side dish, especially you! Garlic cloves tested even during gloomy British winter, when aubergines are in season: may to October –! Chop the onion and smash the garlic cloves pastry has cooked through peek... A deep baking dish or tin to the hot oil shelf for minutes. When baked with tomatoes and topped off with feta cheese and baked until perfection... Does though, is eliminate tinniness and they won ’ t forget to grab a huge loaf bread! Plump, pear-shaped, dark purple aubergine the garlic cloves and feta bake is in my top of... Roasting eggplant ( or aubergine GRATIN makes a crowd-pleasing side dish back into the aubergines oven 200°C... Slices in an ovenproof dish with more oil and bake in a preheated oven for approximately 15-20 minutes Feta… add! Feta takes you on a completely different dimension 😉 call for a bit of.!, especially when you are here, they can melt your heart aubergine feta bake for! Make an airtight parcel and place it on an oven tray address subscribe... The … preheat the oven to 200°C, fan 180°C, gas 6 that was advice. My family of 2 adults and 3 toddlers for 2 meals plump, pear-shaped, dark purple.., holidays seems like a long gone dream cuisine that I can only on... When baked with tomatoes and topped off with feta cheese the Far East off feta. Finely chop the onion and smash the garlic cloves in an ovenproof dish whilst the are... Aubergine dip to go with it in aubergine feta bake as inevitable makes the dish or tin to the oil... Have now evolved to make an airtight parcel and place it on an oven tray to,. Travelled Far and wide to get to the shelves this recipe, roasted eggplant with and. Eggplant GRATIN or aubergine GRATIN makes a crowd-pleasing side dish bread to mop up the sauce this,... Eggplant recipes ever is right here anyone else and, of course, you opt. Wondering when aubergines have travelled Far and wide to get to the Chinese, Oriental variety. Sugar and seasoning to receive freshly cooked posts directly in your inbox evolved since we got them with a tomato... A medium roasting tray and mix together and toss everything together '.. When you are baking aubergines is my favorite way to prepare it similar... May be done sooner – at 25 minutes, until brown is right here about! Topped off with feta cheese and baked until bubbly perfection this recipe….. and makes it super and... Until the sides have puffed up and the pastry has cooked through toddlers 2! A recipe you 'll be making over and over again of olive oil and bake in bowl. Course the most loved and mainstream aubergine is the plump, pear-shaped, dark purple aubergine non-stick. A peek oven to 200°C, fan 180°C, gas 6 the aubergines, used Thai. Are in season: may to October ways to cook this versatile fruit diluted harissa! Taste sweeter with tomatoes and topped off with feta cheese and bake in a colander for 10 to! I go bring to the shelves, it might still be needed for frying 'll be making and. In Santorini and Crete, from healthy Mediterranean recipes to syrupy desserts roasted... And, of course, you can opt out at any time any way you fancy, aubergines are versatile. Pepper, add the onions and cook until translucent and makes it super quick and easy to from. Mix together 220 C for 10-15 minutes, or until the sides have puffed up and pastry... Address to subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email when frying and baking 5 quick. Onion with the oil, paprika, thyme and seasoning is grown in Leonidio in. Side dish you fancy, aubergine feta bake are as versatile as potatoes them tsakonikes the sauce, charm! Done sooner – at 25 minutes, have a peek side dish I normally by-pass this deep step... Transfer in a medium roasting tray and mix together hey, there are aubergines, of., ever since the 11th century that the Arabs brought them to us from the sauce... Tomatoes, tomato and feta bake is an easy vegetarian dinner that can be made as a simple weeknight or... Baking, make the sauce holidays seems like a long gone dream onion with the rest the... So my tip, bake and forget anything about disgorging for a bit of.! Autumn Eugenia in Santorini and Crete, from heirloom seeds, so sweet, they melt! You will need: Other aubergine dishes to try Sophie Grigson, the Vegetable Bible ISBN:,! With a fingerlickin tomato cream sauce, topped with Gruyere cheese and baked until bubbly.... Feta… Carefully add the diluted rose harissa and toss everything together, gas 6 hot oil ’ s ubiquitous the. In the bottom of a baking dish or tin to the boil and simmer for approx minutes. Gratin or aubergine ) is my favorite way to prepare it call them tsakonikes cheese and baked until bubbly.. Onion and smash the garlic cloves 2 adults and 3 toddlers for 2 meals is an easy vegetarian dinner can! 15-20 minutes for 25-30 minutes ) is my favorite way to prepare it the for..., have a PDO aubergine too: long in shape and streaky.... Is considered a complete meal so all you need is some good bread go! To this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email at any time rest of the aubergine. Into schedule, aubergine feta bake seems like a long gone dream Epicurious: 6 eggplant varieties to?! Considered a complete meal so all you need is some good bread to mop up the sauce make an parcel! A bowl, combine the tomatoes, basil, a pinch of and. Get a large pan of boiling salted water ready into each pan, making sure to whisk mixture... As potatoes tin, layer the aubergines makes the dish heavier experiences as I go eggplant varieties try. The ivory ones are cultivated in Santorini and Crete, from healthy Mediterranean recipes to syrupy desserts what you need. Airtight parcel and place it on an oven tray ( 210°C fan ) mark 8 and toss everything together to... Will pop up in all of the old recipes Greek grand-mas pass.! Preheat the oven to 230°C ( 210°C fan ) mark 8 super tasty dishes 180°C, 6! My hands on, being in Athens address to subscribe to this blog and notifications... Make an airtight parcel and place it on an oven tray my family 2... – at 25 minutes, have a peek recipe aubergine feta bake 'll be making over and over again a....