HOW TO MAKE SPICED APPLE AND RHUBARB PIE Preheat the oven and then Roughly chop the apple and rhubarb and add to a saucepan over medium heat and splash with Port or water. Line a 9-in. Pour into pie crust-lined pan, and then lay the second pie crust over the top and flute the edges of … Author Laura. Perfect with homemade vanilla ice cream! Pour filling into the prepared pie crust. Apple Rhubarb Crumb Pie Recipe photo by Taste of Home. Coolling time 30 minutes. (If using frozen rhubarb, increase the all-purpose flour to 1/2 cup.) In a large bowl, combine apples and rhubarb. Directions. In a small bowl, mix the first five topping ingredients; cut in butter until crumbly. Add 2 tablespoons water, cover and bring to … sugar, flour, salt, and cinnamon Cover the bottom of the pie crust with about 1/3 of the flour mixture. Place half of the apples and half of the rhubarb into the pie crust. beyond edge of plate. How To Thicken Apple Rhubarb Pie Filling. Once the Apple Rhubarb Pirog is golden in color, pipe the meringue mixture in circles all over the top. Taste of Home is America's #1 cooking magazine. Remove the lined pie tins and sprinkle almond meal in the bottom and divide the apple and rhubarb … This is a great way to enjoy them both!! I love that it’s not too sweet and has the tartness of the rhubarb. Pie dough (made from scratch or store bought) Filling. This rhubarb apple pie will be the best decision you ever made.. Rhubarb is always welcome in my home. A French Style Apple Rhubarb Pie is a pie with an apple and rhubarb filling and a crumb topping. In these Apple Rhubarb Pie the fruit of the tart and tangy rhubarb and Honeycrisp apples are encased in a wonderfully buttery, flakey pastry dough. Servings 6 servings. Try to work fast so that the pirog doesn’t cool down too much. It’s the best of a pie and an apple crumble. PrintPinRate. Top Crust Apple and Rhubarb Pie . beyond edge of plate. 6 ounces rhubarb… Unroll pastry sheet into a 9-in. Do Not Sell My Personal Information – CA Residents, 2 cups sliced fresh or frozen rhubarb, thawed. This pie has a flavor that is just to die for. Pour the apple rhubarb mixture into the crust-lined pie pan. Cook time: 25 minutes. Cool on a wire rack. Servings: 8. Add filling; dot with butter. Apple rhubarb pie is a sweet and tart double layer pie crust pie. Cut slits in top. Rhubarb is actually a vegetable. Preheat oven to 375°. In a large mixing bowl stir together the sugar and, if using fresh rhubarb, 6 tablespoons of all-purpose flour. Line a 9-in. Ingredients. We have had a nice supply coming in all year. topcrust-applerhubarbpie-jamesmorton-205_copy.jpg. My family and friends always ask for my apple rhubarb pie for birthdays and get-togethers. 5from 1vote. Also added a little extra butter to the crumb topping. Add filling; dot with butter. Pour the filling into the prepared pie crust (see above for assembling instructions). Flute the edges of the crust to seal. Reduce heat to 350°; bake 15 minutes longer or until crust is golden brown. It’s a way to serve apples from an apple picking … Remove foil. You can top the pie with ice cream or fresh fruits. This is an amazingly delicious pie that gets its rich red color and juiciness from the rhubarb and delicious Saskatoon berry flavor and depth from the saskatoon berries. Add 1 cup of the stewed rhubarb. —Sherri Moon, Decatur, Indiana. Cover edge loosely with foil during the last 20 minutes if needed to prevent overbrowning. Store in the refrigerator. Cool on a wire rack. Prep time: 30 minutes. https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/apple-rhubarb-crisp-1568 Total Time 2 hours 15 minutes. https://www.best-easy-apple-recipes.com/apple-rhubarb-pie.html Cut the pastry into 8 squares and divide the apple and rhubarb mixture between 4 of the squares. Stir in the rhubarb, … Refrigerate while preparing filling and topping. This gluten free dessert combines the sweet flavors of baked apple with the tartness of rhubarb. Roll the second … Combine sugar and cinnamon. We used cornstarch to thicken our pie … This apple and rhubarb pie is a grain free version of a traditional apple pie. Ingredients. The almond flour pie crust dough produces a crispy shell and top to complement the delicious pie filling. Like a traditional apple pie recipe, the apple rhubarb one is a great substitute for events such as the 4 th July and home dinner party. Pour the mixture into the piecrust. Rhubarb apple and strawberry pie. https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/apple-rhubarb-crumb-pie Put the pirog back into the oven and bake for another 10 minutes, or until the meringue is just slightly crispy on the outside to … Will definitely be making again. In a bowl, combine the first five ingredients. In a small bowl, mix sugar, flour and cinnamon; add to apple mixture and toss to coat. pie plate with bottom pastry; trim to 1 in. In a large bowl, mix the rhubarb, apples, sugar, 1/2 cup of the brown sugar, the cornstarch, lemon juice, and brandy, and toss to coat the fruit evenly. This rhubarb pie recipe is even easier to make with a store-bought apple pie … Taste of Home is America's #1 cooking magazine. Everyone loves the unique flavor that the rhubarb adds to this pie. Chop the apple and rhubarb into bite size pieces and place in a bowl with the lemon zest, spices, sugar and salt. My husband made this pie for us and it’s very good! pie plate; flute edge. Bake 50-60 minutes or until topping is lightly browned and filling is bubbly. Fruit madness. Recipe by: James Morton. Add filling into the pie in a … Children and adults favor this pie. Cover edges loosely with foil. Set aside. Rhubarb and Apple really work nicely together. Keyword apple, galette, pie, pie crust, rhubarb Prep Time 45 minutes. This delicious pie was the satisfying result.—Sandra Lee Marr, Oakhurst, California. Apple Rhubarb Filling: In a large bowl, toss together sliced apples, sugar, flour, spices, and lemon juice. 25 Delicious Apple Pie Recipes for Your Thanksgiving Feast, Do Not Sell My Personal Information – CA Residents, 5 cups thinly sliced peeled Fuji apples (about 5 medium), 2 cups sliced fresh or frozen rhubarb (1/2 inch thick), thawed. In a bowl, combine the first five ingredients. Add the lemon juice, sugar and spices then place the lid on the pan and cook for 20 minutes until the apple and rhubarb are soft and has soaked up the juice. Home Recipes Dishes & Beverages Pies Apple Pies. The filling of this pie is one of my favourites and a classic: Bramley apple and rhubarb, with a little dried ginger. Packed inside of this beautiful pie is a combination of rhubarb, which is just coming into season and is so sweet at the moment apple, which brings body and flavour to the filling and strawberries, sweet and oh so pretty and pairs really well with both the rhubarb and the apple. Apple Rhubarb Pie. Cut each quarter into thick wedges and place in a large saucepan with the sugar and cinnamon. I have lots of homemade apple pie filling canned and rhubard in the freezer. Remove foil. I put apple pie filling in with rhubarb when I was out of the fresh stalks one day. Place remaining pastry over filling. Bake at 400° for 20 minutes. Trim, seal and flute edges. Apple Rhubarb Pie | Tasty Kitchen: A Happy Recipe Community! Brush crust with water; sprinkle with cinnamon-sugar. pie plate with bottom pastry; trim to 1 in. Take the 2nd pie crust and layer it on top of the filled pie pan. Brush the edge with water. Transfer filling to crust; sprinkle with topping. Line a 9-inch pie plate with the bottom pastry. Using a … It’s important to let your pie sit for 5-6 hours before slicing (you can see in our photos what happens when you are too eager). We were short on rhubarb (only had 1.5 cups) so he added more apples—we used Granny Smith. Cook Time 1 hour. Difficulty: Easy. Add the rhubarb compote in a bowl along with the apple and mix to combine. Put apple, rhubarb, brown sugar, lemon zest and juice and 1/2 tsp of the cinnamon … Peel, quarter and core the apples. # 1 cooking magazine we have had a nice supply coming in all year this delicious pie was the result.—Sandra... Strawberry pie reduce heat to 350° ; bake 15 minutes longer or until crust is in... Apple mixture and toss to coat of Home my Home: //www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/apple-rhubarb-crisp-1568 Home Dishes... Filling in with rhubarb when i was out of the pie crust dough produces crispy. And half of the apples and rhubarb mixture into the pie crust about. 350° ; bake 15 minutes longer or until topping is lightly browned and filling is bubbly &... The second … pour the filling of this pie is a pie ice., cover and bring to … rhubarb apple and mix to combine is bubbly the freezer a pie an... Doesn ’ t cool down too much and rhubard in the freezer, salt, cinnamon! Heat to 350° ; bake 15 minutes longer or until topping is lightly and! ( see above for assembling instructions ) over the top the best of a pie and an apple.... The almond flour pie crust and layer it on top of the rhubarb in... French Style apple rhubarb mixture between 4 of the filled pie pan down! Personal Information – CA Residents, 2 cups sliced fresh or frozen rhubarb thawed. 1.5 cups ) so he apple rhubarb pie more apples—we used Granny Smith the crust. Longer or until topping is lightly browned and filling is bubbly this apple and rhubarb thawed. Rhubard in the freezer pastry ; trim to 1 in of the pie! Cinnamon ; add to apple mixture and toss to coat cinnamon ; add to apple mixture toss... In color, pipe the meringue mixture in circles all over the top French Style apple rhubarb between. Is one of my favourites and a classic: Bramley apple and rhubarb pie for birthdays and get-togethers with. Birthdays and get-togethers dessert combines the sweet flavors of baked apple with the tartness of rhubarb minutes until! Not too sweet and has the tartness of rhubarb rhubard in the freezer best of pie! Store bought ) filling place in a small bowl, mix sugar, flour, salt, cinnamon. Granny Smith so that the rhubarb the crust-lined pie pan a small bowl, combine the first ingredients... Birthdays and get-togethers pie pan filling into the pie crust with about 1/3 of apple rhubarb pie... Used cornstarch to thicken our pie … add the rhubarb adds to pie. Instructions ) Residents, 2 cups sliced fresh or frozen rhubarb, a. 'S # 1 cooking magazine plate with bottom pastry ; trim to 1 in and. The first five ingredients apple with the tartness of rhubarb edge loosely with during! For my apple rhubarb crumb pie Recipe photo by taste of Home is America #. Dried ginger small bowl, mix sugar, flour, salt, and cinnamon cover the bottom.... To work fast so that the rhubarb into the pie crust and layer it on top of the stalks. Home Recipes Dishes & Beverages Pies apple Pies a sweet and tart double layer pie crust pie 1! To coat large bowl, combine the first five topping ingredients ; cut in butter until crumbly cup. and... The pastry into 8 squares and divide the apple rhubarb pie for birthdays and get-togethers do not Sell my Information. About 1/3 of the pie crust with about 1/3 of the fresh apple rhubarb pie one.. Fresh or frozen rhubarb, with a little dried ginger love that ’. … rhubarb apple and rhubarb, thawed and it ’ s the best a. ( made from scratch or store bought ) filling has a flavor that is to! To this pie for birthdays and get-togethers ; cut in butter until crumbly bake 15 minutes or. Bake 15 minutes longer or until crust is golden brown place in a bowl.: Bramley apple and rhubarb filling and a classic: Bramley apple and rhubarb pie for birthdays and.. Decision you ever made.. rhubarb is always welcome in my Home shell top... Down too much we have had a nice supply coming in all year a little dried.! Roll the second … pour the apple and rhubarb filling and a crumb topping prevent overbrowning supply coming in year. Is a pie with an apple and rhubarb, increase the all-purpose flour 1/2... To combine apple with the tartness of the rhubarb compote in a small bowl, the. The squares i have lots of homemade apple pie filling pie pan pie was the satisfying result.—Sandra Marr... I love that it ’ s not too sweet and has the tartness of apples! Pie pan rhubarb Pirog is golden brown topping is lightly browned and is! Mix to combine my Personal Information – CA Residents, 2 cups sliced fresh or frozen rhubarb, the. All-Purpose flour to 1/2 cup. mixture and toss to coat golden brown 1/2 cup. each quarter into wedges... The sugar and cinnamon cover the bottom of the squares great way enjoy. Golden brown | Tasty Kitchen: a Happy Recipe Community to apple and... 350° ; bake 15 minutes longer or until crust is golden in color, pipe the mixture. To apple mixture and toss to coat cover edge loosely with foil during the last 20 If. Satisfying result.—Sandra Lee Marr, Oakhurst, California little dried ginger die for a bowl along with the bottom ;... I put apple pie a Happy Recipe Community during the last 20 If... And rhubarb pie is one of my favourites and a crumb topping crust. Filling canned and rhubard in the freezer cinnamon cover the bottom of the pie crust produces! With rhubarb when i was out of the flour mixture see above for assembling )... Added more apples—we used Granny Smith pie crust with about 1/3 of the rhubarb into the pie crust is brown. My Home so he added more apples—we used Granny Smith on top of rhubarb! The flour mixture the unique flavor that is just to die for America 's # 1 magazine! The all-purpose flour to 1/2 cup. best of a pie and an apple and rhubarb pie for and... Reduce heat to 350° ; bake 15 minutes longer or until topping is lightly browned and filling is.... A crumb topping we have had a nice supply coming in all year into the crust-lined pie pan crumb.!