[–]Ravinac100% maximum no chill! Image: flickr. [–]demintheAF 0 points1 point2 points 4 years ago (5 children). The same for pilots after they hit the 10 year mark, in order to make full bird they are going to need to do a DC tour and war college. [–]pawnman99Specializing in catastrophic landscaping 3 points4 points5 points 4 years ago (33 children). This will be his last memory in Minot, "look at me, I just graduated Tech School and I'm a WEATHER EXPERT!!". The average U.S. Air Force salary ranges from approximately $37,492 per year for Cryptologic Linguist to $119,933 per year for Attorney. Airlines such as Delta, American Airlines, and United have things to offer pilots such as more time home, better pay and a better quality of life than within the Air Force. The world is going cyber. The high-dollar retention pay is an incentive to stay, there really isn't more understanding than that. Because the alternative is to lose all the experience and be completely unable to train any new fighter pilots. My leadership tried telling me I need to make 160k + to be able to make it and I laughed at them. You control cyber space because literally everything is done there now. Here's the deal. And if we keep losing the O-4, O-5 level expertise, our strength rapidly declines. [–]thegreyhoundness 9 points10 points11 points 4 years ago (0 children). The Air Force would never go this way... Rickover didn't even have the pull to make all his nuke operators officers. The Navy does this for their Nukes, because of the sea/shore rotation. That's not a "transitional" career. Maybe if they allowed more enlisted to transition to officer this wouldn't be a problem. Motivated hackers can't override the controls of an F-15 or B-1. [–]gummybearwarfareThe mythical 1B4 52 points53 points54 points 4 years ago (32 children). Combat hours? 4 points5 points6 points 4 years ago (1 child). Well, that might make us feel better, but it doesn't exactly solve the problem. Here in this article, I will share with you the complete details about the Rank wise salary in Airforce, Air force officer salary… We're the most technologically advanced military in the world, but we barely operate at DSL speeds. Salary information comes from 200 data points collected directly from employees, users, and past and present job … I turned down a 90k reenlistment bonus. I purposely overgeneralized the numbers, I mean who works 8-hours a week and has every weekend and holiday off anymore? It's different because these are issues that are in a different context. I'm not sure if business interests would ever allow the US to go to war with any peer (or near peer) adversary for a VERY long time. I know just having them in the air is a show of force scenario, but if something is made for killing and it isn't, it seems under utilized. ", [+]Phil_Drill comment score below threshold-8 points-7 points-6 points 4 years ago (15 children). Both for enlisted and officer. In response to a letter from an aspiring fighter pilot on which military academy to attend, Bob replied with the following. You have no idea how fast I would jump on that. I'm pretty damn sure that all I do is pilot. ‘I knew I needed to do something’ — Airman awarded for braving rocket fire to treat wounded during Camp Taji attack. How hard do you really think it'll be to automate target selection and engagement? There are also a few who were sent to do something else (air liaison officer, for example, or to the electronic warfare center, or out to Nellis to run the CAOC for Red Flag). It's incredible/insane that an officer makes more in BONUSES than the people maintaining his plane make in an entire year with pay + benefits. Not to mention you can’t really put a dollar value on all the free Blue Kool Aide you could ever want. [–]Rickler 2 points3 points4 points 4 years ago (3 children), Only if you count the 6+ months of casual status waiting for a training spot to open lol, [–]howhardcoulditB 4 points5 points6 points 4 years ago (1 child). Exactly this, how fucked up has piloting for the AF got that you have to offer almost half a mil to get them to keep flying? operate cutting edge platforms, and spend their entire career building a dossier that will ensure they are highly marketable upon retirement. But I haven't seen it. You maintain that to keep them from sailing over here and brute forcing us. Plus after a couple years of flying a high performance fighter the initial appeal kind of wears off I'm sure. The rest are spooked into thinking they might get cut at the O-5 boards unless they go to a staff job. This money is an attempt to tip the scales in the other direction, but I'm not sure it's going to be enough to overcome the institutional misery that guys are tired of putting up with. This. Also, it's not that programmers don't deploy, because I have, but it's not a common enough thing to be a worry. No personal attacks. The only shore duty billets nukes have are instructors and recruiting. So I took your topic sentence as my starting point instead of your conclusion. ... the one remaining 12H I thought got one after the rest quit. Cookies help us deliver our Services. Money isn't the be-all-end-all, and articles like this show that this same mentality about the bonuses hold true to current fighter pilots now. Yes, they however don't rely on pilots as heavily as the USAF so it's not as visible. Now that’s great but I’m only taxed on my base pay. Sitting in chairs. That is basically what I said originally, the bulk of their flying is over. CSO will make UPT easier bit harder to strat. The shop chief/flight commander/assistant DO positions are going to folks who haven't done the staff thing yet, because they need to build the experience and the duty history for their next PRF. 5 points6 points7 points 4 years ago (1 child). The Air Force's primary responsibility is developing and maintaining air, space, and overall technological superiority for our military. Wtf is fighter retention pay right now? [–]pawnman99Specializing in catastrophic landscaping 10 points11 points12 points 4 years ago (3 children). Fly around at mach speeds and blow shit up and do aerobatics and shit? [–]pawnman99Specializing in catastrophic landscaping 2 points3 points4 points 4 years ago (0 children), [–][deleted] -1 points0 points1 point 4 years ago (0 children). [–][deleted] 0 points1 point2 points 4 years ago (1 child), Didn't the 22s initially go into Syria in an isr capacity? But heavy fliers of planes like the C130 usually have a pretty good time. If you score high enough on the asvab and pass the nuclear test, they put the high pressure sell tactic on at MEPS, almost as bad as a timeshare salesman. I would have turned down 200k. salary trends based on salaries posted anonymously by employees. Average salaries for Airforce Pilot: undefined - undefined. Reminds me of a common image I've seen where it references the idea of higher level management complaining about the cost of maintenance. 3. There probably aren't many Type-A fighter pilot jocks that want to be chained to a desk after years of living a Top Gun fantasy. [–]pawnman99Specializing in catastrophic landscaping 1 point2 points3 points 4 years ago (21 children). So, this whole discussion started because a quarter of a million dollars isn't enough to keep guys with a very specific skillset in the Air Force after a ten year commitment. Those two things don't seem to agree with one another. It should be in your mypay directly under your LES. 3-4 years experience. [–]i_ball_daily_G92T0 18 points19 points20 points 4 years ago (0 children). This estimate is based upon 12 Royal Air Force RAF Pilot salary report(s) provided by employees or estimated based upon statistical methods. Filter by location to see Air Force Pilot salaries in your area. With an artificially intelligent system, I worry about the unpredictability when the software goes haywire. I always thought that most pilots start at the bottom upon being hired due to seniority within the company being low.