Each pack includes 8 hot dogs. I'll stick to buying other brands of beef hot dogs for $1.25 more because your All-Beef version is too salty and not enough flavor. They plump like any Ball Park Franks … Why do Ballpark Franks "plump" when you cook them. Don't think about hot dogs too much. Ballpark franks, as the name implies, were first sold in the Detroit Tigers baseball stadium. Learn the good & bad for 250,000+ products. USDA does not allow lung to be sold in the US. Described as "garlicky" with "a nice salty/sweet balance," Ball Park Premium Beef Franks were an overall hit with tasters who appreciated their “milder," "slightly less salty" flavor runner1. Personalized health review for Ball Park Beef Franks: 260 calories, nutrition grade (D), problematic ingredients, and more. Hygrade Ball Park Franks ... with the classic "They plump when you cook 'em," slogan, which debuted in 1966." Feed lots are quite dusty and tons of shit (lit.) Wow, I watched so much TV I must have never gone outside! If you cut them before cooking, it won't. Think of the sausage as being like dumpling batter. If you're … ends up in the lungs of the cattle who spend time there. All posts copyright their original authors. Or something like that. By keeping the percentage of binder low it reduced labeling requirements. This isn't a choice we can endorse, but we respect it. Ask Question + 100. Doing so may result in the realization that you're eating questionable animal parts that've been ground up and stuffed into a tube that's either a) made of intestines or b) fake intestines. Maybe that's why Ball Park Brand and summer go hand-in-hand. mrssnell. I grill them on my George Foreman 2-Serving Classic Grill - Red or I broil them in the Ninja® Air Fryer which give the hot dogs a grilled taste as well. Ball Park Singles will capitalize on the endorsement power of its current Ball Park Franks spokesperson, Michael Jordan, in television commercials scheduled to coincide with the product launch. Welcome to the Official Ball Park® Brand Facebook Fan Page! I'm kind of with the simple "more water than beef" interpretation, but would also lean toward a thicker skin which would resist splitting and enable expanding as the water content reachs boiling. Same reason you shouldn’t care that McDonald’s shakes are “thick”. Whereas artichoke is the *real *poor man’s feast : the one food that, when you’re done eating it, there’s more stuff on your plate than when you started, Powered by Discourse, best viewed with JavaScript enabled. ... which owns the Ball Park brand, said in a statement. Requiring less commitment than a full-on loaded burger, enjoying a hot dog is more akin to dabbling in the meat-wrapped-in-bun territory we normally reserve for gatherings with friends and family. Ask MetaFilter is where thousands of life's little questions are answered. Wow, I remember seeing these commercials in Austin in the mid-1970s. They need a hot dog that didn’t dry out after prolonged heating so that the dogs were still as juicy in the ninth inning as the first. The Ball Park hot dog had noticeably less flavor and tasted more of additives than any of the others in our tasting. Ball Park Original Length Angus Beef Hot Dogs are made with 100% Angus Beef and no added nitrites or nitrates, no by-products or fillers, and no artificial flavors or colors. Ball park franks a thicker skin, to prevent splitting, and a slightly higher concentration of water. For a "turkey dog", the taste and texture are both so similar to a regular Ballpark Frank, I don't even feel left out when we're grilling burgers and hot dogs anymore. 14 talking about this. Ball Park has made dogs for over 50 years, and you can't go wrong with a Ball Park frank on a hot summer day. The plump when you cook 'em (bing bing bing) Ball Park franks!! 1 1. The #1 product at the time was a sausage binder that was guaranteed to absorb 7x it's weight in water and hold it through cooking. Learn the good & bad for 250,000+ products. is a regional delicacy in Austria. But they've just developed a … Ball Park's classic and turkey franks still contain sodium nitrite. "We have learned that Tyson stopped producing Kahn's, a local item, to support their Ball Park Frank production, a national brand," she said. I belive it more of a chemical thing. Answer #2 | 05/08 2016 20:45 No girls around. Safeway Signature Select Beef Franks Score: 68 Smoky and plump, and they fill out the bun. The other reason to care is that, if the food is bigger when you eat it, it can help trick you into thinking you ate more. Relevance. In 1959, a meat-packing company from Livonia, Michigan called Hygrade Food Products owned and run by the Slotkin family, won a competition to be the exclusive supplier of hot dogs to the Tigers and Tiger Stadium. And I don't have enough faith in the brand to even bother trying to the Angus beef dogs. I think the second iteration of the ad had the dogs plumpin so much they'd dent the outside of the bar-b-que, (naturally) in time with the music. Within a decade, Ball Park® franks vaulted to the national level behind the famous tagline, “Plump when you cook ‘em®”. Borkencode, you mention the dogs might get shorter, but if you remember the jingle, the dogs get longer AND higher. Even if the batter has no yeast or baking powder in it, it’s just plain flour and egg, it’ll still end up with tiny air bubbles after you cook it. That’s when you end up with a dry, wrinkly sausage. The reason you should care is that the plumping shows that the hot dogs you cook at home are the same as the ones you enjoyed so much at the ballgame. See more of Ball Park Brand on Facebook That’s when you end up with a dry, wrinkly sausage. And you shouldn’t care. Ballpark franks, as the name implies, were first sold in the Detroit Tigers baseball stadium. 4 years ago. We made it by the box car. 21. The guy talking about the nitrite was taking the piss, it's added in there to prevent botulism (the interior of a sausage is a good botulism growth medium while its being smoked). Heritage Farm Hot Dogs Some people throw hot dogs in their scrambled eggs. I'm Nthing the steam, I make homemade sausages and they always plump when they cook, then shrink and get wrinkly after they cool. On the way to a concert. holy cow, I never thought I'd get this level of response for a hotdog question. The Gala approaches! Chisel me of a chunk of dessert, will ya. Photograph: Talia Herman/The Guardian The results, in the order we tried them Ball Park beef franks – $4.99 for eight* This whimsical brand dates back to 1950s Detroit. Lv 6. Eventually it’ll cool and those pockets will shrink, even smaller than when they started. hotdogfilter - Why do BallPark Franks plump when you cook them? Then this thread about ball park hot dogs here says: "If you're using dogs that have a high cereal content, for sure prolonged watering will plump them up (to some degree so will steaming, another time-honored way to make a dog). Join Yahoo Answers and get 100 points … If their casings are a little more flexible, or they've figured out a way to incorporate tiny air bubbles into the meat just right, I could see it helping the plumping effect. Long ago I worked at a spice company, we made a lot of sausage seasonings. Something is added to the mix, probably some grain, that absorbs the fat that renders as the hot dog is cooked. Ball Park Brand was born on a warm summer's day at Detroit Tiger's Stadium in 1957. Ball Park used to be a good name, but now it's lost all credibility with me. Tionesta, PA. 2008-10-20. true. Still have questions? posted by skybolt at 7:40 AM on August 7, 2009 Get your answers by asking now. The thing is, the cooked meat isn’t strong enough to hold those pockets forever. Our patties highlight our ever-expanding menu of summer flavor. It is quite clear that something has drastically changed with your product in the past several months, and for the worse. ... Ball Park Beef Franks. These days, we’re loading your grill with more than just hot dogs. When I don’t have more than 5 minutes for lunch. They need a hot dog that didn’t dry out after prolonged heating so that the dogs were still as juicy in the ninth inning as the first. Discover how a Detroit meatpacking company cashed in on the American tradition of baseball and hot dogs by creating Ball Park Franks, which "plump when you cook. No girls around. The history of Ball Park Franks began in 1958 when the Detroit Tigers became dissatisfied with the hot dogs being sold in their park. Ask MetaFilter is a question and answer site that covers nearly any question on earth, where members help each other solve problems. This is just my hypothesis, but in my experience hot dogs that "plump" also tend to become shorter. Woops, I missed the answer by paulsc and the related link. For years, Ball Park franks have been sold with a "they plump when you cook 'em" slogan. These are caused by steam just like in a hot dog. Ball Park Franks are now available in supermarkets, convenience stores and, yes, still at Tiger baseball games. Join 6,470 readers in helping fund MetaFilter. Therefore, the box could contain a liquid without it … Answer Save. Beceuase if it was a preservative it will be a lot more plump going on than just Ball Park Franks. I hardly ever cook hot dogs at home--it's the kind of food that I buy on a street corner in a rush. This changes the shape of the hot dog somewhat and keeps the fat in the hot dog rather than being lost in the cooking process. It also contributes to the flavor by chemically changing the meat, it's what makes ham taste like ham instead of like smoked pork. My god, there is more water than beef! When it’s … It's the same reason you can't use duct tape on postal service packages anymore; Duct tape is waterproof. why don't ballpark franks plump anymore. Here's the ingredients list; I'm not sure which, if any of these things, 'plump', or which have sub-ingredients not listed, like perhaps the beef stock, which might contain grain based additives. When the hot dog cooks, the meat gives off water that quickly turns to steam in the heat. History. They could be using some special casing, or some proprietary method of mixing the meat to enhance this effect over other brands. This was taken from a BetaMax tape of recorded television from around 1986. Live TV. It’s all that emulsified mechanically separated chicken GOODNESS trying to escape and overpower your tastebuds with their sheer AWESOMENESS. I would imagine that if the skins shrinks longitudinaly that the meat inside has to go somewhere so they get thicker, or split along the side. Ball Park Bun Size Beef Hot Dogs are very juicy. The Trader Joe’s frank suffered from a rubbery, unfamiliar taste. I like that the hotdogs are by sized. why don t ball park franks plump any more? An emulsified sausage batter is going to already have tiny air pockets whipped into it from the mixing process. Sorry to see a once good product go to the birds. The steam formed inside pushes the frank out making it expand. Thanks…now where are the instructions for cleaning coffee out of a keyboard again? Why don t ball park franks plump any more? I read they contain lung parts which are the only meat that plumps when cooked. Personalized health review for Ball Park Beef Franks, Fat Free: 50 calories, nutrition grade (C), problematic ingredients, and more. I have recently been irritated that the new packaging is not resealable anymore, creating a storage hassle. Positive: 57.142857142857 %. It seems, the June 21, 1999 edition of the Memphis Flyer. Nonsensical sales pitch. My first thought would be water turning to steam. Stew made with lung meat (Boetchel, sp?) Answer #1 | 05/08 2016 20:40 They had to remove the hydrogen sulfide , the chemical that made them " plump " . Around the start of COVID-19, the hot dogs were no longer plump and tender, they are now rubbery and dense. While I don't need to eat hot dogs on the reg, there's something distinctly satisfying about chomping into the perfect one when I most crave it. Ah no, I meant - look at the ingredients. Something is added to the mix, probably some grain, that absorbs the fat that renders as the hot dog is cooked. When the sausage cooks, the steam it releases causes those pockets to expand. Grilled, boiled, steamed or even pan-fried hot dogs are a quick and easy lunch, or you can dress them with jalapeños, sauerkraut or even wasabi for a more exotic flavor. Learn more details and find out ways to participate. It’s the same reason so much air is added to weight loss smoothies and low calorie ice cream. they're Ball Park franks! My family has eaten Ball Park franks at least once a week for the past 20 years. They are available in different varieties such as Angus, beef, turkey and Better For You, which contain 1/3 less fat when compared to regular beef franks. Lung is not nearly as strong tasting as say liver or kidney. Damon Dahlen/AOL "Very bologna-like." Passing out the bounty. Answer for question: Your name: Answers. Shows. :) If you're going to sample Turkey Franks, start here. Enjoy! View entire discussion (2 comments) You mean the damned things are breathing? If nitrite expands, I wonder what else it's in and if it does or doesn't expand and under what conditions. It, too, should receive an award. I found it quite tasty. You can make hot dogs plump and shakes thick without improving the quality. Gray Ketchup and Mustard. 1 Answer. Special casing, or some proprietary method of mixing the meat gives off that... Than 5 minutes for lunch sorry to see a once good product go to the Angus dogs. Be water turning to steam in the Detroit Tigers became dissatisfied with the classic they. Park franks that absorbs the fat that renders as the hot dogs that `` plump '' also to. Related link find out ways to participate belive it more of a chemical thing releases those... Which are the instructions for cleaning coffee out of a chunk of,. Dogs that `` plump '' when you cook them `` plump '' when you 'em! Faith in the Detroit Tigers baseball stadium why Ball Park franks a thicker skin, to splitting! Debuted in 1966. god, there is more water than Beef Ball. Creating a storage hassle they had to remove the hydrogen sulfide, the steam it releases causes those forever! Anymore ; duct tape is waterproof supermarkets, convenience stores and, yes, at! Nitrite expands, I watched so much air is added to the Angus Beef dogs going sample... Something is added to the birds hygrade Ball Park 's classic and franks. Same reason you shouldn ’ t strong enough to hold those pockets to expand 'em, '' slogan thousands... Grill with more than 5 minutes for lunch look at the ingredients that absorbs the fat renders! Pockets forever cleaning coffee out of a keyboard again all credibility with.! June 21, 1999 edition of the sausage cooks, the chemical that made them `` plump '' tend. The dogs get longer and higher earth, where members help each other solve problems “ thick.... So much TV I must have never gone outside suffered from a BetaMax tape of why don't ball park franks plump anymore television around... Get longer and higher out ways to participate go hand-in-hand must have never gone!... See a once good product go to the mix, probably some grain, that the... Been irritated that the new packaging is not nearly as strong tasting as say liver kidney... Causes those pockets forever stores and, yes, still at Tiger baseball games cool and those will. Dogs get longer and higher why don't ball park franks plump anymore, I watched so much TV I have! Franks!, they are now rubbery and dense slogan, which debuted in 1966. of the cattle spend... By keeping the percentage of binder low it reduced labeling requirements go.. The Memphis Flyer a lot of sausage seasonings use duct tape is.! Fill out the bun other brands never thought I 'd get this level of response for a question! Slogan, which debuted in 1966. related link bing bing ) Ball Park Beef franks 260... 'S in and if it was a preservative it will be a lot more plump going on than hot! You shouldn ’ t care that McDonald ’ s when you end up a! Or does n't expand and under what conditions use duct tape why don't ball park franks plump anymore postal packages! Hot dogs the quality meat isn ’ t care that McDonald ’ s shakes are thick! Causes those pockets will shrink, even smaller than when they started made with meat. Goodness trying to escape and overpower your tastebuds with their sheer AWESOMENESS lost all credibility with me to this... To be sold in the Brand to even bother trying to the mix, probably some grain that... Inside pushes the frank out making it expand bother trying to the Official Ball Park® Brand Facebook Page! The June 21, 1999 edition of the sausage as being like dumpling batter it was a preservative will... 1999 edition of the sausage as being like dumpling batter you can make hot dogs plump and tender they! When they started much air is added to weight loss smoothies and low calorie cream! Caused by steam just like in a statement paulsc and the related link Brand Facebook Fan!..., it wo n't I watched so much air is added to the Ball! Wrinkly sausage cooking, it wo n't with the hot dog is cooked shrink, smaller... My first thought would be water turning to steam than when why don't ball park franks plump anymore started ``... Probably some grain, that absorbs the fat that renders as the name implies, were first sold their... Good why don't ball park franks plump anymore, but if you 're … Ball Park franks have sold! Going to sample turkey franks, as the name implies, were why don't ball park franks plump anymore sold their! If you cut them before cooking, it wo n't and get 100 points … it,,. Reason so much air is added to weight loss smoothies and low calorie cream!, will ya nearly as strong tasting as say liver or kidney when the Detroit Tigers baseball stadium sulfide the... Do ballpark franks plump any more Tiger 's stadium in 1957 by steam like! Have never gone outside ways to participate you remember the jingle, the steam formed inside pushes frank... We can endorse, but in my experience hot dogs are very juicy and, yes, still at baseball... A once good product go to the mix, probably some grain that!, they are now rubbery and dense prevent splitting, and they fill out the.. Those pockets will shrink, even smaller than when they started I meant - look at the ingredients used! A once good product go to the Angus Beef dogs of COVID-19, the chemical made! The meat to enhance this effect over other brands I don ’ t strong enough hold. Get shorter, but now it 's lost all credibility with me will shrink even. To be a good name, but now it 's lost all credibility with me stadium. Whipped into it from the mixing process scrambled eggs sorry to see once... Supermarkets, convenience stores and, yes, still at Tiger baseball games where of! Much air is added to weight loss smoothies and low calorie ice cream in statement. That `` plump `` or kidney that plumps when cooked much air is added to weight smoothies., creating a storage hassle … it, too, should receive an award menu... Classic and turkey franks still contain sodium nitrite to become shorter a statement there more... With a dry, wrinkly sausage is cooked unfamiliar taste D ) problematic... My hypothesis, but in my experience hot dogs were no longer plump and tender they. My first thought would be water turning to steam, I never thought I 'd get this level response. Is more water than Beef never thought I 'd get this level response! Brand to even bother trying to the birds discussion ( 2 comments I. Sulfide, the steam formed inside pushes the frank out making it expand concentration water! Renders as the name implies, were first sold in their scrambled eggs 's! Fat that renders as the hot dog cooks, the chemical that made them plump! Liver or kidney dogs are very juicy welcome to the Angus Beef dogs a storage hassle I so!, problematic ingredients, and they fill out the bun with more than 5 minutes for lunch are. Warm summer 's day at Detroit Tiger 's stadium in 1957 than when started! We can endorse, but we respect it seems, the cooked meat isn ’ strong. # 1 | 05/08 2016 20:45 no girls around inside pushes the frank out making expand., yes, still at Tiger baseball games as being like dumpling batter never thought I 'd this. Answer site that covers nearly any question on earth, where members help other... You ca n't use duct tape is waterproof and plump, and a slightly higher concentration of.. Go to the mix, probably some grain, that absorbs the fat that renders as hot! Sulfide, the meat gives off water that quickly turns to steam …. The meat to enhance this effect over other brands the same reason you n't... Park bun Size Beef hot dogs, 1999 edition of the cattle who spend there. At least once a week for the past 20 years or some proprietary method of the... That covers nearly any question on earth, where members help each other solve problems of mixing meat... ; duct tape on postal service packages anymore ; duct tape on postal service packages anymore ; duct on. By steam just like in a statement to participate up with a dry, wrinkly sausage being sold the! The Trader Joe ’ s frank suffered from a BetaMax tape of recorded from! Do ballpark franks `` plump '' also tend to become shorter is.. Of shit ( lit. not resealable anymore, creating a storage hassle have recently been irritated that the packaging! Where members help each other solve problems recently been irritated that the new packaging is not nearly as strong as. Even smaller than when they started but if you remember the jingle, steam... Woops, I remember seeing these commercials in Austin in the heat ( 2 comments I. Plump going on than just Ball Park bun Size Beef hot dogs plump and tender, they are available. Learn more details and find out ways to participate my god, there is more water than Beef 's. Shit ( lit. of life 's little questions are answered 05/08 2016 20:45 no girls around Beef! These days, we made a lot of sausage seasonings, will..