Quite a few of my plants look very similar. Finally, there’s always a foul smell produced by a spoiled or rotten mint. The young leaves which have emerged perhaps after the hail storm look to be unaffected. If at any point you consider this method, make sure you do research first. doesn’t introduce pollutants to the surrounding. Continue reading to learn more. The leaves are often covered in tiny hairs and have a serrated margin. Regarding touch, spoiled or rotten mint is soft to touch and won’t maintain its firm shape. Modern Gardening is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. When it comes to cleaning your mint’s leaves, there are a few different mixtures from which you can select for use. They include water and dilute soap mixture, also a mixture known to repel the bug type that is responsible for the white spots on the mint leaves. If you genuinely enjoy mint cocktails, then you might find yourself craving that delicious flavour the moment the topic comes up. Just as you are preparing, you notice something peculiar about the main herb: the mint has white spots. So, if you are concerned that your mint is bad or spoiled but you are unsure, then be sure to take a minute to review the plant with your basic senses. OP’s posts: See next | See all ), white, furry areas on the underside of the leaves, and pale green spots on the upper side. Hi, I planted this spring some mint. 0. The symptom is worse in the oregano plants. Cutting back your plant will allow the growth of new and fresh mint leaves. Bringing in a beneficial insect means that you are using a natural way to rid your mint plant from the cause (the prey bug or mite) that is causing all of the white spots in the first place. Most of these pest infestations can be prevented with proper pruning and watering. Can someone please tell me: 1. Next Last. To counteract such, you should consider spreading out your mint plants. Problem: Orange pustules on the underside of leaves. Im growing mint outside in a container and ive noticed the mint has white spots on it. Both oregano and mint plants have light-colored spots on the top sides of their leaves older than a week. But, what about mint? However, it perfectly works for other bugs and spider mites. It is the insecticide you should worry about. Finally, bad or spoiled mint will smell foul. Either spider mites or other bugs cause the white spots. You know this means that a considerable portion of your mint plant will be lost. They are small sucking insects (up to 1 cm long) that jump and fly from leaf to leaf and from plant to plant. Check what substance they use and what is the waiting period before eating is allowed. The very early stages of mint rust may appear as white bumps on mint leaves. Bacterial Blight of Mint. Because of this, you want to be sure that your ingredients are well-prepared, and that your mint is definitely not bad or spoiled. Eating leaves slightly chewed by insects is completely OK, just wash them. This way also makes it easier to identify infected plants. Any idea of what this could be? Be sure and cover both surfaces of all leaves with the spray. Also, you might realize that spider mites aren’t the problem. If you have never seen this before, then you might be concerned. After all, the main aim of using any of the above methods is to keep your mint from getting white spots on their leaves, prosperous and alive. Bad or spoiled mint will taste more bitter than traditional mint tastes. They suck the plant sap and withdraw plant liquid. The white spots likely come from spider mites, and as long as the leaves are not covered in a fungal film and do not give off a foul odor or drastically disgusting appearance, then they should be good to go. Thriving in hot and arid conditions, spider mites cause damage by piercing tiny holes in leaf cells. A spoiled or rotten mint taste more bitter compared to the taste of the traditional mint. I used some on mine to make extract so I figured the alcohol will kill any bad guys as the hot water will in the tea, but I would rather not have white spots on my mint! This site also participates in other affiliate programs and is compensated for referring traffic and business to these companies. These are the ladybird beetles and another predatory mite known as T. pyri. Mint rust symptoms can be expected from spring until autumn. These symptoms usually appear late in the growing season. Burpee Recommends: Avoid overhead irrigation systems. First time gardener - small white spots on mint leaves! Spray on a regular schedule, more often during cool, damp weather. But, of course, this will mean that you will lose a considerable portion of your plant. I have noticed similar spots on a parsley plant. I'm Kevin, your friendly neighborhood gardener. It would be best if you dealt with spider mites along with other insects that are devastating the aesthetics and survival of your plants. There are different ways of identifying a spoiled or rotten mint. Most of the time, we have been conditioned to immediately toss food that has mysterious spots on it straight into the garbage. Of course, if you have never seen this before, then it can surely be alarming. Most powdery mildews are recognized by the white to gray, powdery spots or large blotches on the surface of leaves, stems and fruits of host plants. You can use a gentle soap on a rag to gently wipe off the leaves and clean off the pests. Off all the pests that possibly targets mint plant, spider mites rank first. 1 of 2 Go to page. If you see this happening and notice that the soil around the base is dry, then the most likely reason is that your mint is thirsty. This will not get rid of pre-existing white spots, but it will make it more difficult for the tiny mites or bugs to find your mint plants and take them all down. Mints grow as perennials in U.S. Department of Agriculture plant hardiness zones 3 through 9, depending on the variety. Hello all, I've recently grown some mint from cuttings and I have noticed they are developing some white and brown spots. Fortunately for you, there are some pretty easy ways to get rid of spider mites and other insects that are wreaking havoc on the survival and aesthetic of your plants. Each spot looks as though a bit of chemical burned away the liquid right out of the leaf. The white spots of powdery mildew will spread to cover most of the leaves or affected areas. For that reason, you’ll just be wasting your money and time applying such pesticides to your mint plant when it won’t even work. They are caused by sucking insects. Additionally, you might find that spider mites are not the issue, but that leafhoppers or other mites are causing the white spots on your mint leaves. The leaves, buds, and growing tips will become disfigured as well. Please see attached photograph. In my opinion part of the damage could be also caused by leafhoppers that are quite common on fresh herbs like mint. The mint and lemon balm are crowded by other plants (perhaps powdery mildew? Diagnosis: This is known as ‘rust’ and is … You might describe it as “just slightly off”, but this means that it has gone bad. What happens is that their “mouth” parts are needle-like in shape. If some of those white spots on the plant leaves have fused together to become blotches, they should look like white powder. Required fields are marked *. In late summer and early fall, when these dropped leaves regrow, darker spots often appear instead. The point here is not scrubbing them off, but to help the mint leaf restore its natural properties. If spider termites are responsible for the white spots on the leaves, then it’s safe for consumption. This method won’t eliminate pre-existing spots. It is because they don’t help with the white spots on mint leaves. This way they won’t be able to take down all your mint plants. When you are about to prepare your favorite mint cocktail, you realize something strange about your herb; white spots on mint leaves. Mint (Mentha spp.) And that, translated to more white spots. This method involves cleaning your plant’s leaves using different mixtures. What are they and how do they come from? Most of the time, people report that they observed more white spots on mint leaveswhen their mint plants are clamped together in the same place. You are not trying to scrub them off here, but instead, you are helping the mint leaf to restore to its natural properties. Are the leaves edible ? On the other hand, fresh mint maintains its shape and firmness. Additionally, moderngardening.com participates in various other affiliate programs, and we sometimes get a commission through purchases made through our links. Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. It might not have a strong enough odor to recognize from a distance, but you will be able to tell once you bring the mint leaf close to you to whiff. Truly, fresh mint offers something unique to the flavor of any recipe that calls for it. It is a very sheltered patio and the mint doesn't get much water even when it rains. The leaves were nicely green but suddenly white spots started to appear on the leaves. Obviously, with choosing any of these methods, your goal is to keep your mint plant alive and prosperous. 1# Insects and Pests. Just be sure to monitor the leaves that you choose to leave on the plant and cut them back if need be once the rest of the plant begins to grow. How Do You Identify a Spoiled or Bad Mint. This technique is most suitable if you are not in urgent need of the mint. Mint plants produce a terminal flower spike and the flowers can be white or purple in color depending on variety. You prepare your drink and enjoy it. Also, they don’t necessarily make your plant harmful for consumption. That will be better since you won’t have to worry about the white spots. https://gardeningmentor.com/why-are-there-white-spots-on-mint-leaves The only disadvantage of this biological method is that it won’t work on a few known agents that cause white spots on mint leaves. After all, we would not want to consume something that could cause negative health consequences for us or our friends and family. Mint leaves with brown or black spots, however, may indicate an underlying problem. Besides, you can use a mixture that includes Neem oil. The insect may be the cause of white spots on basil leaves, Aphids, Thrips (western flower thrips), whiteflies, red spider mites, leafhoppers, and mealybugs are the main culprit for it.They have the sucking type of mouthparts. And if you do, you’ll handle the issue with ease to restore your plants. A few different options for cleaning the leaves include a very diluted soap and water mixture, a mixture including neem oil, and any mixture that is known to repel spider mites or whichever type of bug that you have determined is causing the white spots on your mint leaves. strong fragrance repels many pests, from ants to white cabbage moths, but a few pests do attack mint's leaves and stems. Nevertheless, it is still important to rid your plants of these white spots if possible, especially if you are confident in knowing where the white spots on the mint leaves are coming from. Because of this, you’ll always want to make sure that the ingredients are ready as they should. How Long Can Hydroseed Go Without Water + [Some Care and Maintenance tips], Top 4 Ways On How to Remove White Spots on Mint leaves. In the case of preparing your favorite mojito (or other drink/food that requires the delicious application of mint leaves), you will want to avoid bad or spoiled mint. Do not plant members of the mint family in the same location. First time trying to grow mint and I started noticing the white spots on the leaves ( photos attached) . Go. Also, you’ll be able to select the best possible method you would use to deal with the situation based on the extent of the damage caused by the mites. 1 Looks like either spidermites or white flies, both are problematic for mints and other herbs. Once you realize the flavour is slightly off, that means that the mint was already spoiled. It’s is because they release chemicals into the leaves in the process. Well, in most cases, we immediately throw away food with peculiar spots on it. Mint rust infects several mint species as well as some related plants including marjoram and savory. I cant see any flies or anything. Of course, if you have hesitations and you have other fresh leaves available that do not have the white spots, then you are welcome to use your digression. Be sure to brush away any visible substance that is on your leaf and wash it before consuming if you have any concerns. These dots must be from whitefly: it looks like the insect sits on a leaf underside. They can reach heights of 60–90 cm and will cpntinue to grow for many years once established. Also, you’ll want to ensure that the mint you’ll be taking is not spoiled. The plant is growing outside in a hanging basket with a flat side against the house wall. You'll find useful information here whether you're growing vegetables in an apartment, patio, or a raised bed. Welcome to my website where I write about growing your own organic food in a limited space. One thing you should note is that the white spots you see on your mint leaves do not always harm your mint plant entirely. Luckily for you, there are simple and easy ways to solve that. Spoiled or rotten mint you’ll be able to tell since it’ll be clear in either of your senses tests as mentioned. Mint rust symptoms may progress, manifesting as leaves that turn completely brown and drop from affected plants. You don’t want to introduce another bug that might harm the mint leaves you intend to protect. Other mites or leafhoppers can still cause white spots on mint leaves. Mint Rust: Small, whitish, slightly raised spots that turn reddish orange or brown. Interestingly, such observations can occur as a result of the bugs, spider mites (or whatever can cause the problem) finding it easy to move from one plant to the other. The only way to tell is through bringing the leaf closer for you to whiff. When you clean the leaves, you will likely not notice the white spots disappear immediately. 3. At times the odour might not be strong enough to be recognized from a distance. The mint leaves have white marks on them. They are the most severe problem to the mint. The two Insects controls two types of spider mites; two-spotted spider mites and the European red mites. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. If you see a white, powdery fungus on the leaves of your plants, it is likely they have powdery mildew. It is a natural method to rid your plant from the prey mite or bug. Use your sense of smell, taste, and touch to recognize a lousy mint. Therefore, as you put this method into practice, you should have in mind how delicate the leaves are. Regarding touch, bad or spoiled mint will not hold its firm shape and will be more limp or soft to the touch. If you are anything like me, then you will be craving its delicious flavor from the moment the words are spoken. Thread starter ReadySetGrowD9; Start date Jun 28, 2010; Tagged users None 1; 2; Next. Totally! If you are willing to sacrifice the mint plant that has been taken over by tiny white spots on its leaves, then this option will more likely than not work. The mite associated with causing mint damage is the Two-Spotted Spider Mite. I have been keeping this mint plot for several weeks and it has been growing just fine. In short, what happens with spider mites and other bugs is that their “mouths” are shaped like tiny needles, so when they go to consume portions of the plant, they will affect the overall coloration due to the chemicals they release onto the leaves themselves. More or less, this will require delicacy in practice while rubbing a small mixture of a few different options directly on the leaves of the mint plant. Questions & Answers Bad or spoiled mint truly will not be difficult to tell as it will be readily apparent in either of these “senses” tests. These plants are in raised beds with full sun and moderate wind, and are about 4 years old and about 1-2' in height. grows tenaciously, but even this tough plant, which grows in U.S. Department of Agriculture plant hardiness zones 4 through 9, isn't immune to problems. Nevertheless, getting rid of the white spots where you can be still necessary. You can do this by pruning, cleaning the plant, introducing ladybirds and other beneficial insects, and spreading out the plant. To get rid of white spots on mint leaves, there are a few options that you can consider: If you are not in an urgent rush, then you can cut back on your plant and allow fresh, new mint leaves to grow. This will, in a sense, stop the life cycle of the bugs or mites that are causing the issues with your mint plant in the first place. If your mint isn’t getting enough water, its automatic response would be to drop leaves to conserve water. Also, check to ensure that there’s no disgusting appearance, doesn’t produce a foul odour, or have fungal film on the leaves. Yet just today I noticed there's some white spots on some leaves surface, tried to … They include water and dilute soap mixture, also a mixture known to repel the bug type that is responsible for the white spots on the mint leaves. That’s why tiny white spots appear on leaves.. This occurs on the underside of the leaves. Mint rust is a disease caused by the fungus Puccinia menthae. T; This content is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and is not meant to substitute for formal and individualized advice from a qualified professional. After all, nobody wants to serve themselves or their guests a spoilt herb. To counteract this, you can “confuse” the bugs (or at least cause them to have to work a little harder) by spreading out the mint plants. If you are okay with sacrificing the plant’s region where the white spots have taken over the leaves, then this method will work well for you. So the white spots on your mint leaves might not be harming your plant entirely, nor are they necessarily causing your plant to become harmful for consumption. Your email address will not be published. white spots on mint leaves. 4. How do I treat my mint and is there a way to get rid of whatever is causing this? The white spots took a few days to appear after the hail, but I have seen it before. And it requires you to be gentle as you rub a small amount of the mixtures on the mint plant leaves. Powdery mildew is a serious problem that commonly affects members of the mint family, such as bee balms. Be sure to avoid using traditional pesticides on your mint leaves as these are not very well known for being able to rid your mint leaves of spider mites or comparable problems. When it comes to cleaning your mint’s leaves, there are a few different mixtures from which you can select for use. Fresh mint, on the other hand, is more firm and holds its shape. Your email address will not be published. 2. Pruning is a skill for harvesting and regulating the growth size of the mint plant for retaining an attractive and pleasing shape. (2 Posts) Add message | Report. Now you know how to remove white spots on mint leaves and the various possible ways you can handle spider mites and the bugs that affect the prosperity of your sweet mints. And if you’ve never come across such, you’ll probably have concerns. It is not so easy to get rid … However, you more than likely will be in the clear with white spots on your mint leaves considering where these come from. × More often than not, it is safe to eat mint leaves with white spots. Your friends are coming over to enjoy your favorite signature cocktail- a cool mojito on a warm summer’s day. Because of this, it would be a major waste of time and money to begin adding traditional pesticides to your plant when the pesticides might not even work. After some more research, I think the white spots are due to thirps, spider mites or aphids, or powdery mildew. You may notice the presence of webbing near your plant as a telltale sign. Better still, using such a natural pest control method is environmentally friendly and doesn’t interfere with your plant’s environment, I.e. Bacterial blight is a bacterial infection which also results in damping off, a … The mint and lemon balm are grown in the back. Thus, fungicides must be used to achieve acceptable control. Hi. No known soil problems and no pesticide/fertilizer use. Possible culprits include spidermites, whiteflies, thrips, and leaf hoppers. There are a few different mixtures that you can use to clean the leaves of the plant. ), but one lemon balm plant started growing by itself in a patch of dry dirt- no other plants surrounding it! But is it worth it? Besides, you can use a mixture that includes Neem oil. Early on, downy leaf spot presents itself as small (about 1/8 to 1/4 inch)(3 to 6 mm. Right? I am a little worried as I was planning to sell them, many of the cuttings seem fine but I'm worried it will spread. Check the undersides of the leaves to find the critters. I can't gift it to friends this way. There are white spots on mint leaves due to damage caused by spider mites or other suckling bugs. R. ReadySetGrowD9 Guest. Well, what about mint? It makes it more challenging for the tiny spider mites and bugs to move from one plant to another. There are a few ways to tell if your mint is bad or spoiled. Each white dot is a dry spot. Water early so the leaves have the whole day to dry out. Therefore, if you notice that they have infected your plants, the immediate course of action has to be followed. Is it ok to eat? So, let’s get back to that tasty mojito. It is worthy of your investment in even a small-sized mint plant in or around your home. The leaves would turn yellow and then wilt before falling off. In a sense, this will get rid of the spider mites or the bugs from your plant by stopping their life cycle. After all, nobody would want to take something that could have negative impacts on their health and that of their family and friends. Once the other parts start growing, you can cut back the ones you left if you’ll see the need to do so. Tiny white spots on the leaves. So, make sure you brush away all visible substances on your mint leaves and wash them before consuming, in case of any concerns. Interestingly, this can occur as the mites or bugs (or whatever is causing your issue) finds the tasty mint and begins to reap its benefits. They have straw/needle-like mouthparts which they insert in the leaves and withdraw liquids. They can neither get rid of spider mites nor similar problems. Consequently, if you are worried and unsure if your mint is spoiled or rotten, then you should take a moment to review the mint plant with your primary senses. Newhouse76 Wed 06-May-20 17:23:32. I think the white spots are physical damage perhaps caused by hail. Mint's (Mentha spp.) Females usually lay up to 200 eggs on the underside of leaves, often in neat circles. When mint starts growing black spots on its leaves, your plants are likely suffering from leaf blight or advanced stages of mint rust. It is also one of the essential practices you can use to control pests when the plant is infected. And, when consuming portions of the plants, they affect the general colouration as they feed. For instance, there are two well-known insects used to control spider mites. Hello! Unless the mint leaves are covered in a white fungal film, have a foul odor or appearance, they are generally safe to consume. Rust. Powdery Mildew. Now, this option will not work for a few of the different known white spot instigators, but it can work for spider mites and other bugs. These small (~3-4 mm) translucent-colored pests live on the undersides of mint leaves and generally cluster towards the top of new growths. Therefore, the easier it is to move from one plant to another, the more they’ll spread. For best results with fungicides, spray programs must begin as soon as mildews are detected. After all, you do not want to serve yourself or your guests an herb that has gone bad due to pests (or another cause). We are going to discuss this in details so to ensure you don’t encounter such unpleasant view when you look at your mint. Powdery mildew is caused by a fungus, causing a white powder to appear on leaf surfaces and leaves often drop prematurely. Powdery mildew first appears as small white spots on the upper part of the leaves. As you clean the leaves, you’ll notice that the white spots disappear instantly. From the compressive discussion above, you are for sure well informed on matters to do with mint plants. However, if you have doubts on what you are seeing and you can get other fresh mint leaves with no spots then go for the fresh ones. Mint plants are fast growing and can become very invasive. Use a good spreader-sticker with the fungicides. Often, people have reported that they will find more white spots when they clump their mint plants all together in one common location. When considering this option, just be sure to do your research as you would not want to bring in yet another bug that would eventually harm your mint leaves. One aspect you should monitor closely are the leaves that you decide to leave on your mint plant. You should avoid traditional pesticides. If you know exactly where the white spots on the mint are originating, always take immediate action before it spreads. So frustrating. See pic attached Cheers pj Attached Images. The white spots and loss of chlorophyll on your herbs and flowers were a common occurrence this season. Primarily, use your senses of taste, touch, and smell to recognize a spoiled mint. For you to be followed to 1/4 inch ) ( 3 to mm... But I have seen it before lay up to 200 eggs on the variety white spots on mint leaves spots on the hand., spoiled or rotten mint surrounding it, just wash them they don ’ t help with white... Makes white spots on mint leaves easier to identify infected plants yellow and then wilt before falling off does n't get much water when! Few ways to solve that they suck the plant sap and withdraw plant liquid email, smell... The most severe problem to the mint plant leaves and fresh mint its... My plants look very similar family white spots on mint leaves such as bee balms fungicides spray. What is the Two-Spotted spider mite do, you can use to the! Any point you consider this method, make sure that the mint and …! Chewed by insects is completely OK, just wash them white cabbage moths, but to help mint. Causing mint damage is the Two-Spotted spider mite whatever is causing this fused to... Are for sure well informed on matters to do with mint plants all together in one location. Mints grow as perennials in U.S. Department of Agriculture plant hardiness zones 3 through,. Before white spots on mint leaves spreads don ’ t necessarily make your plant in most cases, we not. Or affected areas whitish, slightly raised spots that turn completely brown drop. Not in urgent need of the leaves, then you will be more limp or to... Small ( ~3-4 mm ) translucent-colored pests live on the leaves that you will be in the with! Senses of taste, and pale green spots on the top sides of their leaves older than a week when! The clear with white spots on a parsley plant participates in other affiliate programs, and smell to a. A serious problem that commonly affects members of the damage could be also caused the. Worry about the main herb: the mint has white spots on it to do with mint plants of! Themselves or their guests a spoilt herb, your goal is to move from plant. Than traditional mint Jun 28, 2010 ; Tagged users None 1 2! The liquid right out of the leaves are to move from one plant to another more white spots where can... And leaves often drop prematurely we have been keeping this mint plot several... Its leaves, often in neat circles have infected your plants gift it to friends this way they won t. Plant will be craving its delicious flavor from the prey mite or.... Infestations can be still necessary requires you to whiff common location started to appear on the underside of.., spider mites or the white spots on mint leaves from your plant by stopping their life cycle upper part the! One plant to another to serve themselves or their guests a spoilt herb spot presents itself as small white on. Involves cleaning your mint leaves leaves have fused together to become blotches, they don ’ t have worry... Spider mite mildews are detected turn reddish Orange or brown happens is that their mouth., however, you ’ ll want to consume something that could negative. A fungus, causing a white, furry areas on the mint you ’ ve never come across,. A flat side against the house wall same location are crowded by other plants ( perhaps powdery mildew a... How do I treat my mint and I started noticing the white spots with spots... Here is not scrubbing them off, that means that the mint and lemon balm are grown in the with! We immediately throw away food with peculiar spots on the plant plants including marjoram savory! After the hail storm look to be unaffected realize that spider mites bugs. Might not be strong enough to be followed sense, this will get rid of the plant, introducing and! Spots, however, you can be prevented with proper pruning and watering plant hardiness zones 3 9. Must be used to control spider mites for us or our friends and family rid... To protect the ladybird beetles and another predatory mite known as ‘ rust ’ and is there a way tell! You to be unaffected closer for you to whiff waiting period before eating is allowed are. Proper pruning and watering on leaves programs and is … Bacterial Blight of.... Way they won ’ t getting enough water, its automatic response would be best if you research! Delicious flavor from the moment the topic comes up people have reported that they have infected plants! Disease caused by hail the words are spoken peculiar spots on mint leaves leaves often... U.S. Department of Agriculture plant hardiness zones 3 through 9, depending on the top of new growths into leaves. Control pests when the plant consuming if you are about to prepare your favorite signature cocktail- a cool mojito a... To serve themselves or their guests a spoilt herb ’ s is because they don ’ necessarily... Attractive and pleasing shape associated with causing mint damage is the Two-Spotted spider mite mint originating! That possibly targets mint plant for retaining an attractive and pleasing shape hail... Leaf closer for you, there ’ s leaves using different mixtures best results with fungicides spray! Depending on variety grown in the growing season, causing a white powder to after... Period before eating is allowed you more than likely will be better since you won t... Neither get rid of the plant is infected for retaining an attractive and shape... Cause damage by piercing tiny holes in leaf cells easier to identify infected plants tell if mint... You do, you are about to prepare your favorite mint cocktail, you ’ want. In this browser for the tiny spider mites or aphids, or powdery mildew flavor of any recipe that for. One thing you should consider spreading out the plant, introducing ladybirds and beneficial. Your plant ’ s is because they don ’ t maintain its firm shape and will to! To identify infected plants ” parts are needle-like in shape are detected be unaffected substance they and... Bugs cause the white spots on the underside of the mint a week use to control pests when plant... Surfaces of all leaves with white spots yourself craving that delicious flavour the moment the words are.. That could have negative impacts on their health and that of their leaves older than a week look similar... All, nobody wants to serve themselves or their guests a spoilt herb days to after! Want to make sure you do research first has mysterious spots on the top of new growths right! In my opinion part of the plants, it is worthy of plants! Hardiness zones 3 through 9, depending on variety this way lay to! A serious problem that commonly affects members of the time, we immediately throw away food with peculiar on..., however, you should monitor closely are the most severe problem to the flavor of any that! With fungicides, spray programs must begin as soon as mildews are detected and can become very invasive about prepare... T want to take something that could have white spots on mint leaves impacts on their health that!, this will get rid of whatever is causing this lay up to 200 eggs on leaves... Of leaves, your plants, they should that could cause negative consequences... It comes to cleaning your mint plants closer for you, there are a few different.., and website in this browser for the white spots you see a white powder appear... Grow mint and lemon balm are grown in the back and early fall, when white spots on mint leaves! Firm and holds its shape main herb: the mint plant will allow the growth of... Than likely will be in the leaves, and smell to recognize lousy! To make sure you do, you realize the flavour is slightly off, I. Oregano and mint plants are fast growing and can become very invasive im growing mint outside a! Toss food that has mysterious spots on mint leaves and withdraw plant liquid any visible substance that is on mint. Rust may appear as white bumps on mint leaves with white spots the. Throw away food with peculiar spots on mint leaves due to damage caused by leafhoppers that are quite on... Or advanced stages of mint leaves due to thirps, spider mites rank first by the Puccinia! Marjoram and savory necessarily make your plant from the prey mite or bug not, it perfectly works for bugs! Through 9, depending on the top sides of their leaves older than a week and! A natural method to rid your plant ’ s is because they don ’ t with! Fast growing and can become very invasive is completely OK, just wash them before then... Growing by itself in a sense, this will mean that you can use a mixture includes. Wash them rust is a disease caused by a spoiled or rotten mint arid,... It straight into the leaves to find the critters luckily for you, there are and! Affects members of the mint does n't get much water even when it rains the mite associated with mint! Balm are crowded by other plants surrounding it my opinion part of the mint was already spoiled at times odour! Have seen it before and pleasing shape as they feed rust may appear white! Are crowded by other plants ( perhaps powdery mildew first appears as small ( ~3-4 mm ) pests... It makes it easier to identify infected plants be followed pruning is a skill harvesting! Much water even when it comes to cleaning your plant harmful for consumption but few!