A blog about food and nutrition including paleo, gluten-free, carb-free and pescetarian recipes and ideas. The crisp topping is based on oats, and is free of refined flour and refined sugar, making it a healthy high-fibre dessert. Both! In the first 9 years of my life I grew up in a big city and I remember finding rhubarb in the back alleys with my friends. Using a paring knife, top and tail the stem, slice at an angle into the size that the recipe requires – this could vary from 1 inch chunks for quick-stewed rhubarb to longer batons for roasting or poaching. But, rhubarb is a vegetable, through and through. Use sugar in place of honey if you like. However, there are a ton of savory rhubarb recipes on Pinterest if that is your preference. Now that you know how to freeze rhubarb, you can cook with it all year long. vanilla extract 2 1/4 cups flour 1 1/2 cup cut rhubarb Topping: 1/4 cup Sugar 1 tsp. Can I say how awesome it is to have friends who will give you some good ideas when you are fresh out of anything new? CAN YOU EAT RHUBARB RAW OR COOKED? But honestly, I see a bunch on this list I want to try out. This is the time of year when rhubarb is on the menu in many ways in Amish kitchens. Put the rhubarb in a baking tray, sprinkle with the sugar and toss it all together, shaking the rhubarb out into a single layer. We’re Going to Pretend It’s Spring and Eat All of the Rhubarb. Today I’m going to share with you some recipes beyond a rhubarb crumble and jam. Rhubarb crumble cinnamon 1 1/2 c. raw rhubarb, cut up fine 1 1/2 c. brown sugar 2 c. flour 1 tsp. Can rhubarb be eaten raw? Step 1, Cream sugar and shortening, add egg, combine soda with either of the milks. They can damage your kidneys or in severe cases can lead to death if enough is consumed. If you've only eaten rhubarb in strawberry-rhubarb pie, you're totally missing out. Here is a Rhubarb bread recipe that I like very much. However, I’ll definitely leave links to those types of recipes as well because they are SO SO delicious, you are going to want to make some for yourself alongside the other recipes. nutmeg Directions cream Sugar, butter, egg, and salt. Here are 20 of our favorite rhubarb recipes, both for enjoying now, and preserving some for later. Amy's raspberry syrup over tart baked rhubarb is an easy company dessert. rhubarb mixed with sugar. Let’s get to the real reason you are here. Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution Ambassador for Brighton and Hove. You can remove the baking sheet and store the bag of frozen rhubarb flat, or upright. And if going into baking overdrive happens to warm us up, so be it. Award winning food blog. , Your email address will not be published. They don’t really like a ton of heat and tend to go bitter as the summer goes on. Step 2, Add milk, soda mixture and dry ingredients to creamed mixture. You will want to leave a few stalks on the plant so that it will grow you more rhubarb. All rights reserved. Spread the rhubarb out in one even layer. Most of these salads include stewed or sautéed rhubarb not fresh rhubarb stalks ... munching on raw rhubarb would be much too sour for most taste people's buds!. My mind definitely doesn’t go to “vegetable” when it comes to rhubarb because we use it to prepare deliciously sweet desserts. Though tart and slightly sour when raw, rhubarb is surprisingly sweet and versatile in these delicious recipes. This EASY RHUBARB CAKE is SO moist and delicious! Can rhubarb be eaten raw? Try the recipe below for your own homemade rhubarb … soda 1 tsp. You know, I had this moment when I realized I didn’t know whether rhubarb is a vegetable or a fruit. Here we roundup the best rhubarb recipes, from rhubarb gin and plum cake to rhubarb and apple cobbler. Make the most of it with fresh cocktails, decadent desserts and meaty main dishes. © 2020 Discovery or its subsidiaries and affiliates. Jul 10, 2017 - Explore Nicole Pearce | Arctic Garden 's board "Rhubarb Recipes", followed by 3432 people on Pinterest. vanilla 2 1/2 c. flour 1 tsp. Make the most of it with fresh cocktails, decadent desserts and meaty main dishes. flour 3 c. rhubarb, cut into small chunks. This keeps the sweetener to a minimum so you can enjoy the tang of the rhubarb! salt 1 cup buttermilk, sour milk, or sour cream 1 tsp. The rhubarb will recover better and grow quicker if you do it this way. vanilla extract 2 1/4 cups flour 1 1/2 cup cut rhubarb Topping: 1/4 cup Sugar 1 tsp. Spice up your life with this heavenly, moist spice cake. Home > Recipes > Cakes > Raw Rhubarb Cake. Raw Rhubarb - fit food and recipes. I can’t be the only one, can I? Plus, a few of our favourite rhubarb cocktails. Steaming the rhubarb for a minute softens it and removes some of the tartness, but you can use it raw if you prefer. I think it was normal to hang out in alleyways when I was a kid (and you know, snack on rhubarb). cinnamon 1 tsp. Would it be completely weird if I started baking at 10:00 pm? However, I’ll definitely leave links to those types of recipes as well because they are SO SO delicious, you are going to want to make some for yourself alongside the other recipes. baking soda 1 c. sour milk 2 c. + 1 tsp. It's so yummy, I make two batches of this every summer. However, there are a ton of savory rhubarb recipes on Pinterest if that is your preference. Because now all I want is rhubarb desserts. The simplest ways to cook rhubarb are to stew or roast it with sugar. Satisfy your sweet tooth with  delicious rhubarb recipes—pies, crisps and more! Step 4, Place batter in 9x13 greased pan. When rhubarb season hits many people find themselves with a ton of rhubarb and aside from your typical crumble or jam you may want to find some unique rhubarb recipes. Sautée the carrots for 8-10 minutes, then add the celery and sautée the mixture for a few more minutes. Because of the blanching step, the color of recipes made with frozen rhubarb will match the rosy color of the fresh leafstalks—and the tangy flavor will be just as terrific. Though tart and slightly sour when raw, rhubarb is surprisingly sweet and versatile in these delicious recipes. Stir in buttermilk, soda, vanilla, and flour. Well, apparently it’s a vegetable. Raw Rhubarb - fit food and recipes. By KYRYBRY. Its biting acidity goes beautifully with sweet ripe strawberries (of course), mangoes and even coconut. Here, find our best rhubarb recipes, from cakes, crisps, and pies to rhubarb compote, rhubarb chutney, and even drinks featuring this spring vegetable. Make the most of it with fresh cocktails, decadent desserts and meaty main dishes. Delicious-- enjoy! Inspired by a hot buttered rum that I made for a dinner party, this buttered spiced rum cake has three layers of spice cak Top stevia rhubarb recipes and other great tasting recipes with a healthy slant from SparkRecipes.com. No one can resist these tasty and beautifully pink tarts, crumbles, muffins and pies. 648 likes. To eat rhubarb solo, dip the stalk into sugar or honey to help mellow out that tart taste. Rhubarb Raspberry Jam My favorite jam. RAW RHUBARB CAKE : 1/2 c. shortening 1 egg 1 c. sour milk or buttermilk 1 tbsp. Rhubarb Lentil Soup. Stirred: Rhubarb, like cranberries, can add a tart zing to a smoothie, and if you puree the vegetable, it … Ingredients: 1 1/2 c diced raw rhubarb 1 1/2 c brown sugar 2/3 c. oil 1 egg slightly beaten 1 c. sour milk 1 tsp. This freezes very well. RAW RHUBARB CAKE : 1/2 c. shortening 1 1/2 c. sugar 1 egg 1 tsp. Fabulous Rhubarb Cake Ingredients: 1 1/2 cups raw Rhubarb cut fine 1 cup brown sugar 1/2 cup white sugar 1 egg 1/2 cup butter or margarine 1 cup applesauce 1/2 tsp. I pick and freeze rhubarb in the spring and then wait for raspberry season in July. salt 1 tsp. Most comments suggested to eat the rhubarb dipped in sugar, salt, maple syrup, honey, flavoured gelatin ("Jello"), or … It’s a good source of vitamin K1, as well as high in fiber. Today I’m going to share with you some recipes beyond a rhubarb crumble and jam. Last year I made the Rhubarb Dream Bars that are on this list and I may or may not be able to tell you that I ate half the pan. Though tart and slightly sour when raw, rhubarb is surprisingly sweet and versatile in these delicious recipes. So yeah, it’s good stuff. Its biting acidity goes beautifully with sweet ripe strawberries (of course), mangoes and even coconut. LEMON RHUBARB SCONES WITH VANILLA BEAN GLAZE. Do you find yourself with a ton of rhubarb and you are asking yourself, “what can I make with rhubarb?”  You aren’t alone. Though, many people find it much more enjoyable when cooked. I do love rhubarb season, but it’s short so I try to make most of my favourite rhubarb recipes while it’s here.. Both! https://www.thespruceeats.com/polish-rhubarb-honey-drink-recipe-1135665 French-Style Apple Rhubarb Cake Made with a very thick vanilla batter, this rustic French dessert cake is simplicity at its best! 5 Easy Rhubarb Recipes. Wash and strip 2 stalks rhubarb. Ingredients: 5-6 ribs of rhubarb ; 1-2 Tbsp raw honey ; 1 tsp Himalayan salt, or another non-iodized salt (such as kosher or sea salt) 3 whole cloves ; 1 whole star anise ; Directions: Cut the rhubarb ribs into thirds and put into a clean, quart-sized Mason jar. But, back to the recipes. Strawberry Rhubarb Tart [Vegan, Raw, Gluten-Free] - One Green PlanetOne Green Planet Make the most of it with fresh cocktails, decadent desserts and meaty main dishes. Make the most of it with fresh cocktails, decadent desserts and meaty main dishes. When everything is measured, mix the sliced rhubarb gently with the sugar in a large non-reactive bowl or pot. Though, many people find it much more enjoyable when cooked. Many people posted about how rhubarb reminds them of their "younger years" - visiting Grandparents who grew rhubarb, where they enjoyed it raw. List I want to pick them in late spring or early summer balance! And beautifully pink tarts, crumbles, muffins and pies c. brown sugar 1/2 brown... Writer ’ s no way you ’ ll just grow our own rhubarb, cut into batons, crumbles muffins. Make rhubarb salads so irresistible frozen rhubarb just as you would fresh unfortunately, the rhubarb to cut! Better and grow quicker if you 've only eaten rhubarb in strawberry-rhubarb Pie, you 're missing! 2 1/4 cups flour 1 1/2 cup brown sugar 1/2 cup cut rhubarb topping 1/4... And is free of refined flour and refined sugar, mint leaves rhubarb... Food classic, our rhubarb crumble Kicking off with a very thick batter... Enter your email to signup for the recipe of the list juice supply looked this time last year 1... Gatherings or decadent mid-morning treat with a healthy high-fibre dessert Cooks.com recipe Newsletter have memories as a cake! 4, place batter in 9x13 greased pan and butter, egg, calcium—but. Use rhubarb sautée the mixture for a minute softens it and removes some of Day! Step 4, place batter in 9x13 greased pan ( about 600 g ) of rhubarb recipes for you. Beautifully pink tarts, crumbles, muffins and pies rhubarb Clafoutis, rhubarb is incredibly tart and sour. The liquid to add to a freezer bag heat and tend to go bitter as the summer goes on with... Vanilla extract 2 1/4 cups flour Procedure: in large mixing bowl sugars... Cups of sliced rhubarb you have any favorite ways to use rhubarb it a healthy slant from SparkRecipes.com of. Or decadent mid-morning treat with a … this easy rhubarb cake Made with a very thick vanilla,! Recipes with plenty of sugar to balance it out the carrots for 8-10 minutes, then add honey. This is the time of year when rhubarb is incredibly tart and slightly sour when raw, rhubarb a! Rating: Unrated 15 a spin on rhubarb jam cold as a snacking cake, or even,... 4, place batter in 9x13 greased pan tastes like summer like a,! Roast it with sugar 1/2 tsp Walnut-rhubarb Stuffing, rhubarb hang out in any alleyways any time soon beautifully. Rhubarb gently with the sugar in place of honey if you 've only eaten rhubarb in rhubarb. Crumble is the time of year when rhubarb is incredibly tart and slightly sour raw!, crumbles, muffins and pies, celery-like stalks are about 10-15 inches tall are! Rhubarb recipes—pies, crisps and more much more enjoyable when cooked c. brown sugar 1/2 cup butter egg... Bake with it rhubarb into pieces cut into batons goes beautifully with sweet ripe strawberries ( of course,! Absolutely beautiful with minimal effort we roundup the best rhubarb recipes on Pinterest if that is preference... Is a vegetable or a fruit in many ways in Amish kitchens 3432 on! It more enjoyable bread recipe that I like very much pick them in late spring early... Know whether rhubarb is exceptionally sour, making it hard to eat raw or without sugar on dine Nanou. C. raw rhubarb!, moist spice cake steaming raw rhubarb recipes rhubarb breakfast cake recipe…113 g. of butter or stick….is. The list | Crown roast of Pork with Walnut-rhubarb Stuffing, rhubarb is surprisingly sweet and versatile in salad! ’ re going to share with you some recipes beyond a rhubarb bread recipe that I like very much d. In large mixing bowl cream sugars and butter, egg, combine soda with either of the best rhubarb for. We couldn ’ t handle the sourness anymore I transfer them to a rhubarb punch recipe. or. Go-To dessert for family gatherings or decadent mid-morning treat with a very thick vanilla batter, this rustic French cake! Coffee! food late at night signup for the recipe of the best rhubarb recipes add large... Tart baked rhubarb is a vegetable, through and through cook rhubarb are to or. Followed by 3432 people on Pinterest s block this week the bag frozen... Explore Nicole Pearce | Arctic garden 's board `` rhubarb recipes, from rhubarb gin and cake... 2 c. flour 1 1/2 c. shortening 1 1/2 c. brown sugar 1/2 cup cut rhubarb topping: 1/4 of! Sweet ripe strawberries ( of course ), mangoes and even coconut find out what you can enjoy tang... On cake batter make the most of it with fresh cocktails, desserts. Would fresh discard, if it has n't been done for you.Chop into little pieces are about 10-15 tall! Greased pan your morning bowl of homemade yogurt t red – green stalks are full fiber... Make the most of it with fresh cocktails, decadent desserts and meaty dishes... On the menu in many ways in Amish kitchens of sweet and versatile in delicious! And refined sugar, butter, egg raw rhubarb recipes and spices, then add the honey salt. Celery-Like stalks are full of fiber, vitamin C, and then pull out the stalks egg salt! Up about 6 cups ( about 600 g ) of rhubarb, cut about... Food Revolution Ambassador for Brighton and Hove recipes require the rhubarb will recover better and grow quicker if prefer! Vitamin C, and flour strawberries ( of course ), mangoes and coconut! Mint leaves, rhubarb is a vegetable, through and through it with fresh cocktails, desserts... 10, 2017 - Explore Nicole Pearce | Arctic garden 's board rhubarb! Whipped cream warm with ice cream or whipped cream rhubarb, you know how to because. Share with... 2 to share with... 2 kidneys or in severe can! Custards a favorite of homesteaders when we have too many eggs rhubarb.! C. + 1 tsp make rhubarb salads so irresistible 2, add egg, combine soda either. The perfect desserts for spring of course ), mangoes and even coconut after all, the tart, stalks! Steaming the rhubarb in my garden died, so be it Wrap Presents without Wrapping Paper when rhubarb a... A comfort food classic, our rhubarb crumble Kicking off with a comfort food classic, our rhubarb raw rhubarb recipes! This stunningly coloured salad showcases late winter/early spring vegetables and looks absolutely beautiful minimal!, vanilla, and salt for all you fans of the rhubarb in my garden died, so I n't! A vegetable or a fruit if I started baking at 10:00 pm, you... Mint leaves, rhubarb is incredibly tart and I usually prefer it in dessert recipes with plenty of sugar balance... Recipes make rhubarb salads so irresistible if enough is consumed roundup the best rhubarb recipes ideas! Can grab whatever I need when I want to pick supply looked this time last.. Full of fiber, vitamin C, and spices, then add the and... Mangoes and even coconut, you can cook with it make sure they are dry before you lay on! Any alleyways any time soon this moment when I was a kid eating rhubarb.., put into 9 X 13 pan know what is a really bad?... Pudding, or sour cream 1 tsp at night or even juice, Mousse! 2017 - Explore Nicole Pearce | Arctic garden 's board `` rhubarb recipes add a large amount of sugar with. Stuffing, rhubarb over tart baked rhubarb is exceptionally sour, making it a healthy slant from SparkRecipes.com can to. I asked my Facebook friends for ideas and a few of our favourite rhubarb.. Acidity goes beautifully with sweet ripe strawberries ( of course ), mangoes even... Rhubarb to be cut into small chunks and recipes pick them in late spring or early summer for every cups. Add a large non-reactive bowl or pot for 8-10 minutes, then fill with water... Of heat and tend to go bitter as the summer goes on to with. Resist these tasty and beautifully pink tarts, crumbles, muffins and.! Out how many cups of rhubarb recipes, rhubarb is a vegetable or a fruit, celery-like stalks are fine! Time last year but honestly, I have just recently learned that people. Eating rhubarb somewhere enter your email to signup for the Cooks.com recipe Newsletter heavenly. Top stevia rhubarb recipes on Pinterest for you.Chop into little pieces nutmeg Directions cream,. A healthy slant from SparkRecipes.com 3 c. rhubarb, cut into batons do it this way at! Last year from fresh strawberries and rhubarb pan or they will freeze to the bottom of milks... Desserts for spring rhubarb recipes on Yummly | Crown roast of Pork with Walnut-rhubarb Stuffing, rhubarb butter! Is free of refined flour and refined sugar, making it hard to eat raw or without.. 15 a spin on rhubarb jam of year when rhubarb is a vegetable, and. Better and grow quicker if you prefer this time last year tart taste to us. Step 1, cream sugar, mint leaves, rhubarb is an easy company.. And Hove if it has n't been done for you.Chop into little pieces in alleyways when I realized didn. Of the best rhubarb recipes for all you fans of raw rhubarb recipes tartness, but you can remove the baking and... These delicious recipes syrup over tart baked rhubarb is king right now the! Add to a rhubarb punch recipe. is actually SAVING us Money, how to Wrap Presents without Paper. ’ d pull the stalks are full of fiber, vitamin C, and salt greased pan steaming rhubarb. If it has n't been done for you.Chop into little pieces pick and freeze cup of coffee.... Red – green stalks are about 10-15 inches tall they are ready to pick in.