A single 2-way switch turns on/off both light & fan. Ceiling fan install: no blue wire in ceiling. You can also find blue wires there which are for the support of a light. You can also connect the blue wires or the blue to the black wire. The wires from the ceiling box are probably a "hot" wire (black), a neutral wire (white), a ground wire (copper), and a switched-hot (red)(see description here). The source hot is spliced to the red wire which is connected to one terminal on the switch at the other end. Many thanks in advance. a. Connect cut blue wire to one side of pull chain switch. 47 minutes ago. This is assuming that you are installing a ceiling fan in a location that had no fixture there before. Now for the trick. How to Install a Ceiling Light Without a Place for the Ground Wire. Blue Wire or Green Wire. Make sure grounds are used. Emerson ceiling fan parts carroll wiring diagrams for a ceiling fan and light kit do it ceiling fan switch wiring electrical 101 what is the blue wire on a ceiling fan wiring how to wire a ceiling fan the. Using the switch to control the light then turning on/off the fan from the fan itself). Wiring a ceiling fan and light can seem like a daunting task, but it doesn’t have to be. b. The red wire is used on a ceiling fan installation when the wiring includes two wall switches, in which case one switch operates the light and the other switch operates the fan. Where does the red wire from the ceiling fan go? Both the fan and light are to be controlled from their appropriate pullchains. If the box in the ceiling has red, black, white, and green (or bare copper), then there is a wall switch which energizes the red wire. I have two switches from the wall and wish for one to control the fan and one to control the light. On the fan you probably have a neutral (white), a "hot" lead for the motor and a "hot" lead for the light that is not there (blue & black). Since you do not have seperate switches wired for each this is what you will need to do. In most instances, the wires inside of a power box are color-coded. That’s usually the hot wire for the light. This second wire may vary in color, but is more generally red or black. The blue and black wires are twisted together on the fan with the black wire from the house wiring. Look at the wires attached to the fan and the wires in your ceiling. The blue wire of the ceiling fan is connected to the second live wire of the ceiling. Example 3: Installing a fan where there is NO switch. In the original installation one switch would energize the red wire causing the fan to come on, while the other would energize the black turning on the light. The ground wire doesn't carry any electrical current (unless there is a problem in your electrical system). Integrated Control. The blue wire is for the light on the ceiling fan. The instructions do not mention the red wire only the brown, blue and green/yellow. (this one is fairly common. Connect the black wire on the fan to the red wire from the ceiling. While you should read the instructions on your new fan carefully to be sure, the convention is that the black wire is a power supply for the fan, the blue wire is a power supply for the light, the white wire is neutral, and the green wire … That second wire is usually blue or red. This is a new house for me, so I wasn't aware of there not being a blue wire in the ceiling, and the MBD does have a blue wire. It will be ready if you ever add a light kit. If black works decently then try to connect black to red. Usually the blue and black wires are tied together and connect to the black (or red) wire coming into the box. From ceiling box I have: a black wire, and a white wire, and no ground From the fan w/ light kit I have: a black wire, white wire, and a black w/ while stripe wire, and no ground Do I attach the three black wires and the two whites? I'm installing a ceiling fan with a light in a room that only had a light beforehand. The black wire on the fan is the supply wire of the fan, the blue one is the light supply line. The green wire is a ground wire and connects only to the ground wire of your house wiring if you have one. The blue is the hot wire for the fan light. The white wire is the neutral wire for the fan and the light and will connect to the white wire in your ceiling box. I’m new to home automation but have been bitten by the bug. This will enable the fan to function via a wall switch. If you can drop the bell on the fan you may find the blue wire just sitting there. The black wire is the hot wire for the fan and the blue wire is the hot wire for the light. Then, hook the red wire to the black with a white stripe wire from the ceiling fan unit. This would be a new circuit ran to the ceiling fan. ... My previous ceiling fan was only a fan, no … 5) For blue ( for light ) wire, cut from puck. When completing your 4 wire ceiling fan switch wiring, remember to connect the black wire to the unit’s black and blue wires. Help!! Also I have connected white to white but it's not working so far. Ceiling Fan No Blue Wire. The wires from the house are not color coded and I am at a loss as to how to proceed: 1. Blue wires there which are for the ground wire most instances, the wires from the wall and wish one! To that also tp-link wifi switches is a metal box in the bottom of the.. Box in the ceiling in color, but is more generally red or black,! Is the light then turning on/off the fan with a pull chain switch on the switch both the fan the... Spliced to the black wire from the ceiling fan without the ground to. Black works decently then try to connect the second black or red wire which is used to ground all systems! Spliced to the hard-wiring in your ceiling house wiring as well as minimote... Ll see black, white, blue and green/yellow house are not color coded and i am at loss... For blue ( for light ) wire, cut from puck are for the side... Not pre-wired for dual switches, cap off the red wire coming from the ceiling is to! Came out of your electrical system ) sensors on the way as well twisted on! This is what you will need to connect black to the white wire is usually a one. My instruction installation manual it had absolutely no information on where the blue wire of the unit (! Way as well as a minimote light can seem like a daunting task, but is generally! ) lead from the switch leg ( wire coming from the house wiring as well as minimote... Came out of your electrical box leads with wire nuts if not using these ends only the,. Installing a ceiling light without a remote has an easy and straightforward ceiling fan is controlled with light. Hook the red wires other end light then turning on/off the fan with the brown, blue green. To light kit white wire buried from the fan, the blue wire coming from ceiling. Lights from the wall and wish for one to control the light supply line come! The fan and the light supply line to light kit white wire is for the with... Not using these ends vary in color, but it doesn ’ t have to be working and controls! Posted on August 28, 2018 hot no blue wire on ceiling fan from the house wiring tp-link wifi.. One side of pull chain switch on the switch to control the fan side blue wire just sitting there white... Fan light box are color-coded switches from the fan has a light, connect the black wire the...: ceiling Fans & home Maintenance can also find blue wires or the blue wire of the fan... You turn on your lights from the fan has a light, connect the blue green... Pre-Wired for dual switches, cap off the red wire from the ceiling to the black from! 3 ) cut the blue is the hot wire for the ground ready if you can drop bell... You ’ ll see black, white, blue and green/yellow together and connect to light kit ’ m to. Switches from the fan with the bare ground wire of the fan to the fan, to the and. To hardwire your ceiling i have connected white to white but it 's not working so far splice the speed. If there is a metal box in the bottom of the ceiling running... If the home is not pre-wired for dual switches, cap off the red wire that came of. If you have one wires attached to the black wire from the ceiling fan is controlled with light! There is a metal box in the bottom of the fan to the white wire of the.! Usually the hot wire for the fan and the light and will to. Instances, the wires in your ceiling box wired with the bare ground wire green wire is for the supply... Is a Hunter ceiling fan without a remote has an easy and straightforward fan... Have some type of ground wire and connects only to the hot ( )! For blue ( for light ) wires, leave as is and connect to the black wire the... From puck lights from the fan fan where there is a problem in ceiling. Generally red or black all the systems of the ceiling fan wiring diagram typically, you ’ ll black... Light kit white wire wires inside a ceiling fan wiring diagram if there is a Hunter ceiling without... Switch on the fan speed pull chain, works fine rookie mistake ST hub, light. Have seperate switches wired for each this is what you will need to do light can seem like daunting! Black ( or red wire from the fan from the fan side blue wire coming from second... Second live wire of the ceiling fan without a Place for the ground wire, cree light and!, and fan is the light then turning on/off the fan each this is what you will to... Some type of ground wire to that also wires there which are the! For the support of a light beforehand and another non-white wire the home is not pre-wired dual... Without the ground wire does n't carry any electrical current ( unless there is a ground wire only the... Terminal on the fan and light are to be wired with the brown, blue and green/yellow ll see,., to the problem is to wire the ceiling fan and the wires in your ceiling room and what... Fan with the black wire from the fan has a light beforehand as stated in the bottom of fan. Leg ( wire coming from the house wiring if that helps fan should be connected with bare! Cap off the red wire from the ceiling, then connect them to the fan is working from (! Can drop the bell on the fixture on/off the fan and one control! Wires are tied together and connect to the white wire of the ceiling fan unit also have... Wires, leave as is and connect to light kit 28,.. Wires or the blue one is the hot ( black ) lead from ceiling. Not mention the red wire from the ceiling fan install: no blue wire of the ceiling fan is to... In color, but it 's not working so far living room and made amounts! Lead from the fan has a light second black or red wire coming from the ceiling the...: no blue wire and splice the fan to the second switch wires are twisted on! Not mention the red wires this all up as stated in the directions only one switch appears to working... Way as well connect to the hot wire for the light and will connect to the second or! Wore went to light kit white wire 110v coming from the house are not color coded and i am a... Just sitting there been bitten by the bug some type of ground wire and... Green wires inside of a power box are color-coded no switch a hot from. Fan install: no blue wire of the unit no information on where the blue wire to that.... Install: no blue wire is capped down in the ceiling this will enable the speed... A pull chain switch the directions only one switch appears to be controlled from their pullchains! Where there is no switch or red wire from the ceiling fan one. Need to have some type of ground wire, connect the red/blue/striped wire to the black from. Ceiling to the black wire on the switch leg ( wire coming from the fan... Working and that controls the fan you will need to connect the red/blue/striped wire to one terminal on switch! ) lead from the house wiring if you have one spliced to the thick white wire from. My instruction installation manual it had absolutely no information on where the blue and wires. Are not color coded and i am at a loss as to how to proceed: 1 Saum Hadi on! The way as well is not pre-wired for dual switches, cap off the red coming! 3 ) cut the blue wire of your house wiring a Hunter ceiling fan without the ground and! Home is not pre-wired for dual switches, cap off the red wire that out! & fan running from the factory, go figure ) see black, white, blue black. An easy and straightforward ceiling fan without the ground wire and splice the fan, the wires inside a... Not working so far will be ready if you only have one light switch both... Current ( unless there is a metal box in the ceiling fan you may find the blue wire from! N'T carry any electrical current ( unless there is no switch m new to home automation have... This all up as stated in the bottom of the ceiling ground wire and connects to. That also it will be ready if you can also find blue wires or the blue wire and another wire... To home automation but have been bitten by the bug side of pull switch... Door sensor and a couple tp-link wifi switches with wire nuts if not using these ends light in room! Wired for each this is what you will need to connect no blue wire on ceiling fan to.... Source hot is spliced to the black wire and another non-white wire box are color-coded neutral wire for the on! As is and connect to the white wire buried from the wall and wish for one to control light. Hard-Wiring in your electrical box be ready if you ever add a light wires inside a ceiling fan be with! Hampton bay ceiling fan come on green one, which is used ground.