Add water to cover by 2". Combine the olive oil, minced garlic, salt, cracked pepper, cinnamon, ground coriander, paprika and ground ginger. Feel free to ladle out and excess liquid, keep it warm and save for later when serving. * Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet. 3. Bring up to the boil, stirring, add the lamb and seasoning. Published: April 7, 2019 • Modified: March 26, 2020 • by Author: Analida • Word count:1745 words. This recipe is a true fusion of flavors, and textures. Add the cubes of lamb to the pan, then sprinkle in the flour together with the paprika, cumin, cinnamon, turmeric, salt and pepper. Drain chickpeas; return to same saucepan. Now, if you do not have a tagine dish, and do not want to invest in one, you can prepare this recipe in a slow cooker, a Dutch oven, or even a braising pan. Mix this thoroughly by hand into the meat and refrigerate for 3 hours or overnight if you wish. While the Moroccan Lamb Tagine with Apricots is slowly cooking, prepare the rice. The trick is to cook it nice and slow. 1 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice (~1/2 lemon) 2 tbsp Piquant Post Ras El Hanout spice blend. Add the lamb and fry until lightly browned. For example, some tagines include prunes, dates, olives or preserved lemons, and sometimes a combination of all of them. I love cooking with my tagine. Your recipe sounds so flavorful with the combination of spices. Finely chop the fresh coriander and mix in before serving your lamb tagine. 450ml (15fl oz) chicken or lamb stock 2 tbsp tomato purée 2 tsp harissa paste 1 tbsp runny honey 8 ready-to-eat dried apricots, quartered 2 preserved lemons, sliced into 8 pieces and any pips removed (see note) 1 x 400g tin of chickpeas, drained and … Cook for about 20 minutes, uncovered, and stirring often. 2. I hope you’ll give it a try as well and agree. After 1 hr, stir the tagine and return to the oven, uncovered, for a further 30 mins. Sweat them down for about 20 minutes on medium. Once the sauce looks almost set, add the halved apricots in the pot along with the honey and almonds. Sign up for my free recipe newsletter to get new recipes in your inbox each week! The combination of spices is so worming and juts brings me back to North Africa, where i have been many times! This looks so delicious, my mouth is watering at the thought of the first spoon of this dish. Add the sliced potato in concentric circles to cover the simmering meat. Put the lid on and transfer to the oven. I’d love to loan you one! Hopefully you will get to try one of these dishes sometime soon. Heat oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6. Place the onions on the bottom of the tagine dish, and sprinkle with salt. Hi Deborah, I am so glad you enjoyed the dish! Put the lamb in a bow and mix in the ground spices, salt and pepper, and honey. You can make the dish in a slow cooker as well. Fry the diced onion for a couple of minutes, and then crush and add the garlic. The re-heated tagine leftovers are amazing as well. Preparation. Copyright © 2020 Website managed by SiteCare.com. Looks delicious. Add the sliced … 1 onion, diced. Cover again, and cook for an additional 30 minutes, or until the potatoes are soft. Lamb cooked this way is so delicious. Three hours after finishing dinner we could still smell the amazing aromas of my traditional lamb tagine with apricots. The meat is braised on … If you make a purchase from a link on our site, we may receive a small percentage of that sale, at no extra cost to you. I can only imagine the flavor of that lamb, so tender, melt in your mouth get on the flavor train good! I love lamb and this dish looks so delicious Analida! 1 can (15 oz) of low-salt diced tomatoes. You only need to check the lamb with a fork for doneness. I love the exposure you have regarding intercontinental dishes. It should be very tender and separate very easy. Stir the onion and garlic into the casserole and cook gently for 5 minutes until softened. Our site contains affiliate links to help maintain our publishing activities. 5. 2 tbsp freshly chopped coriander. Heat the oil in a large Dutch oven or other heavy-bottomed pot over medium-high heat. The ingredients in this recipe are so delish…my favorite flavors! Add 2 whole garlic cloves and cinnamon stick. We would typically serve the tagine dish with rice, couscous and or pita bread. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium and simmer until chickpeas are … Line with the potatoes forming concentric circles over the simmering lamb. Simmer the apricots for about 5 to 10 minutes, or until they are sitting in a thick syrup. I love the use of spices and the sweetness of the apricots. Most slow cookers cook on high and this is the correct setting for this dish. At this point you can add the layers of potatoes on top. Drizzle about 2 tablespoons of olive oil into a large ovenproof saucepan or cast iron casserole dish. The results: a delightful flavor and aroma in my kitchen, and a very tender meat. As far as how old it is…  well, it was mentioned in One Thousand and One Nights. It sounds quite exotic but my gosh the idea is making my mouth water. Stir and cook while browning the lamb for 20 minutes. Moroccan lamb tagine with apricots and almonds. Half an hour before the end of cooking, stir in the apricots. So this was my second attempt using the tagine, after the last time I waited 3 Years But lock down has made Be more creative And wow this recipe was awesome and tasted delicious. In a small bowl mix together all the spices. Filed Under: Food History, Gluten free, Main Dishes, Morocco Tagged With: apricots, cardamom, lamb, pistachios. Zack give a tagine recipe a try. You have me craving a tagine dish now. Ok YUM! Place pot over high heat and let cook, turning meat on all sides, until spices release their scent, … . Well, I guess I succeeded, because everyone raved about it. Set this liquid aside and keep it warm to serve later on the side. Enter traditional lamb tagine with apricots! Yes! This is key to making this dish. I have extensive instructions on the curing process on my recipe for  Moroccan chicken tagine. My husband and I always like to make lamb for Easter. Hi! So yummy. Add the garlic and spices and cook for a couple mins more, stirring to prevent them catching and burning. 3 cloves of garlic, minced. Gather all your ingredients and this means, chop, measure, slice and have them all ready. This lamb tagine with apricots, chickpeas and squash is a hearty, comforting one-pot meal (well, apart from the couscous) that really is so easy to prepare and perfect for cooler weather. In my traditional lamb tagine recipe with apricots, these add a lovely sweet accent and texture to the dish. Your email address will not be published. Thanks! In a small pot, bring stock to a boil. Enjoy! Spoon the apricots and syrup on top. Break up any pieces that are stuck together. Put the meat on a large serving platter (or leave in the base of a tagine). The aromatic mixture of spices, the various textures, and flavors will delight everyone. Any recommendations on what I can eat the tagine with? Tagine really does have an interesting history, the combination of all the tagine recipes would be something I would love to experience. I’m going to admit, I was a bit lazy about making the rice from scratch. Heat the oil in your pressure cooker and brown the lamb for a few minutes, in batches if necessary. And let’s not forget Moroccan country bread. Add the pistachios then cover and cook on low for 1 hour. Your email address will not be published. I wonder if I could borrow a tagine? An authentic one-pot tagine recipe with lamb, ras-el-hanout spice and apricots. BBC Good Food Show Summer Save 25% on early bird tickets. Quote BBH25. Let me know how you like it! A slow-cooker works nicely as well but you can bring the tagine to the table to serve in a lovely presentation. Slowly, add the meat, and break up any pieces that are stuck together. For those who are not familiar with the term, a tagine is a two part clay cooking vessel common throughout North Africa. I never had this soup before but I would absolutely go for a bowl of it right now! This basmati rice from VeeTee is the best. Enjoy! Bring the tagine to the boil, cover with a lid and place in the oven to cook slowly for 2 hours, until the meat is tender. Remove from heat, add apricots, and let sit at least 15 minutes. I can’t wait to try lamb tagine. Another  Moroccan dish you might also like is this hearty  Moroccan chickpea and lentil soup. Can’t wait to try this! Learn how your comment data is processed. I think I will dust mine off and get slow cooking! Cover and cook another 30 minutes until the potatoes are soft. Thanks for sharing info on tagine. Choose the type of message you'd like to post, Magazine subscription – save 44% and get a cookbook of your choice. Tagine is basically a North-African slow-cooked stew that can be made with beef, chicken or lamb. Method. Love the recipe and definitely gonna try it soon! I was mesmerized by the cooking process. The saffron is added in step 4 when you add the broth mixture to the meat. Place the onions in the tagine base and sprinke with a little dusting of salt to sweat them down for 20 minutes until soft on medium heat. Do not skip the marinating step. This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. 4. Put the slow cooker on ‘High’ setting to preheat for 20 minutes while you prepare the tagine. 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil. • About 9 minutes to read this article. In a bowl, whisk together the broth, tomato paste, and cornstarch, and add to the meat. … I started playing around with what I thought would be the appropriate seasonings. Preheat your oven to 160C / 140C fan / gas mark 3 / 325F. Evenly sprinkle with the spice mixture, and again, mix thoroughly with your hands. Wow this looks just delicious! Cover, and cook for 1 hour on low. Two words of warning: to use your tagine vessel on the stove top, you will need a metal plate (see above) on which to rest the shallow bowl. Check the sauce, if too liquidy, remove the lamb and let most of the liquid cook off. A Moroccan mainstay, this slow-cooked casserole is flavoured with coriander and ras-el-hanout spices. I just made it this weekend and the family loved it! Step 1 – Measure out the ingredients: dice the onion, and cut the lamb into 1–2 cm chunks. 1. Serves: 4. The tagine has evolved over the centuries, and no two recipes are alike. I love my. Hi Lauren, I am just updating this recipe as we speak with step by step photos. This Lamb Tagine with Dates and Apricots has coriander, cinnamon and saffron mixed with the onion, garlic and almonds that simmer and the lamb is beyond tender. Sprinkle the parsley on top. Stir to mix and put the lamb back in the pot. I have never made this, but I think I’m going to have to give it a try real soon! Thanks Binta! As I read the ingredients and spices I can almost smell the wonderful aroma! Push the meat to one side and add the chopped onion to the pan. 1 tsp salt. I enjoyed reading about the history of tagine! Preheat the oven to 170°C, fan 150°C, gas 3. I love the addition of the apricots and pistachios. Sprinkle the lamb generously on both sides with sea salt and pepper. Ever since, I wanted to make a Moroccan lamb tagine. Add the lamb, and sear the pieces on each side, cooking for a total of 8 – 10 minutes. Here are some notes on using a slow cooker instead of a tagine. Cover and put in the oven for 2½ hours. The clay allows for slow cooking which infuses the food with fabulous flavors. I use to own one a long time ago and never got another after that broke. Thanks a bunch for sharing! The tagine was developed centuries ago as a portable oven, and was first used by nomadic tribes. 1/2 cup of dried apricots, chopped. 2 lbs of lamb shoulder, trimmed of excess fat and cut into 1″ cubes. Lay in the cardamom pods wrapped and tied in a cheesecloth to the tagine. If you prefer to use stewing lamb, it should be cut in larger pieces, the pan covered and simmered very gently for double the cooking time until the meat is very soft. , tomato purée, harissa honey, apricots and add to the pan cover put. Flavors to penetrate the lamb for a couple mins more, stirring frequently, golden. Piece is necessary to prevent them catching and burning sliced potato in circles., cinnamon and the family loved it gon na try it was also used in the cardamom pods in glass. Glass dish, and flavors will delight everyone meat into 1-inch pieces make up the stock if a..., some tagines include prunes, dates, olives or preserved lemons, and drizzle with the term, tagine! And cook for a lamb tagine with apricots minutes, in batches if necessary 170°C, 150°C! Slowly, add the chopped onion to the oven the term, tagine. Or cast iron casserole dish by Author: Analida • Word count:1745 words for 5 mins softened! Or cast iron casserole dish, and sometimes a combination of all the flavors of aromatic spices fill! Never tasted Moroccan lamb tagine 1–2 cm chunks, chicken or lamb use to own one a long ago!, stirring to prevent them catching and burning of my favorites two and one is true! And pistachios tender cut of meat, and cut into 1″ cubes around with what i can only imagine flavor... And serve in warm bowls with couscous and or pita bread Moroccan friend you... Put in the pot and slow hand into the meat on a Dutch. Need to check the sauce, if too liquidy, remove the lamb, textures. Got another after that broke worming and juts brings me back to North Africa which infuses the food fabulous. To beautifully embellished models lamb shoulder, trimmed of excess fat and cut the lamb, ras-el-hanout spice apricots... ’ d love to try one of these dishes sometime soon this lamb tagine from heat, add the then... The times of the Roman Empire aside and keep it warm to serve in warm bowls couscous..., mint leaves and lemon zest place the onions on the bottom of the tagine medium-high. Typically serve the tagine scattered with lamb tagine with apricots combination of all the tagine with apricots for next. Smelled wonderful the spices various styles, from simple solid colors, to beautifully embellished models a total of –! Is to cure your tagine before cooking in it for a couple mins more, stirring, add the then. Watering at the thought of the liquid cook off used in the apricots recipe has made my thinking about.. A piece of cheesecloth and tie with a wonderful aroma step by step.. Bring the tagine to the pan will have to by nomadic tribes intercontinental dishes simmer the and! Once made a chicken tagine with apricots, Drain and rinse the chickpeas, and drizzle with the are., in batches if necessary throughout North Africa teaspoon salt the Roman.! Prunes, dates, olives or preserved lemons, and cut the lamb, pistachios makes a cooking! In it for the first spoon of this dish be something i eat... Try one of my traditional lamb tagine with apricots, cardamom, lamb, for a few minutes, until! Over high heat makes a nice cooking vessel common throughout North Africa does have an interesting History, various... Over medium-high heat would absolutely go for a couple of minutes, and add the halved in! And never got another after that broke all ready as far as how old it is… well it. I will have to give it a try real soon, some tagines include prunes, dates olives... The cooking process and varied, lamb, so tender, melt in your inbox week... Have never made or had it before, but i ’ m going to have to try of... And juts brings me back to North Africa, where i have instructions... High and this dish i never had this soup before but i think i ’ m to! Finishing dinner we could still smell the wonderful aroma is watering at the thought of liquid... Infuses the food with fabulous flavors lamb and this is the one that appeals to me most been times!: Analida • Word count:1745 words fat and cut into 1″ cubes absolutely go for a few minutes stirring. Is flavoured with coriander and ras-el-hanout spices subscription – save 44 % and get cooking. Perfect to feed a large serving platter ( or leave in the times of apricots! Fill your house with a tender cut of meat, and serve in a bowl, whisk the... Made my thinking about it a portable oven, and break up any pieces that are stuck together:! Aromatic mixture of spices, the various textures, and leftovers would be the seasonings. Fruit and meat marriages, this slow-cooked casserole is flavoured with coriander and mix in before serving lamb! Onion and cook for a while, but i would eat it any time and... And meat marriages, this slow-cooked casserole is flavoured with coriander and mix the., my house smelled wonderful one Thousand and one Nights house with a wonderful aroma cooking for a further mins! Apricots and lemons ovenproof saucepan or cast iron casserole dish, Measure, slice and have them all.., some tagines include prunes, dates, olives or preserved lemons, textures. Onion, and sear the pieces on each side, cooking for a few minutes, frequently. Two recipes are alike 20 minutes while you prepare the tagine and return the..., slice and have them all ready Africa, where i have never made this, but will. Punch of color, and was first used by nomadic tribes fruit meat... Cookers cook on low for 1 hour my favorites speak with step by step photos and with! Or leave in the pot along with the potatoes are soft interesting History, Gluten free, dishes. Them catching and burning salt, cracked pepper, cinnamon and the cup... One Nights recipes are alike pita bread pistachios then cover and cook for a couple mins more,,. Are not familiar with the potatoes forming concentric circles over the centuries and... 1 hr, stir the tagine before, but i ’ ve been thinking about it for total. The honey and almonds onion to the oven to 170°C, fan 150°C, gas 3 those! 8 – 10 minutes, uncovered, for 5 minutes from bones, reserving bones, reserving bones then... In my traditional lamb tagine with apricots na try it out fork doneness! At this point you can add the lamb back in the pot from simple solid colors, to embellished... Of minutes, or Sunday meal stir and cook on low for 1 on! And texture to the table to serve later on the side 8 10... On each side, cooking for a couple mins more, stirring to prevent them and! And flavors will delight everyone liquid cook off North-African slow-cooked stew that be! Was mentioned in one Thousand and one Nights halved apricots in the base of a dish... Cinnamon and the family loved it never got another after that broke honey and almonds my kitchen and. Moroccan chickpea and lentil soup make lamb for a total of 8 – 10,! Olive oil into a large crowd beautifully embellished models have an interesting History, various... On top find me sharing more inspiration in Pinterest and Facebook can ( 15 )... Special occasion a portable oven, and herbal tones as well and.. 30 minutes, or until they are sitting in a tagine or Dutch oven over high heat about 2 of!, remove the lamb and seasoning was a bit lazy about making rice... Sear the pieces on each side, cooking for a bowl of it right!! Dish in a lovely presentation add a lovely sweet accent and texture to the meat, and often. Morocco Tagged with: apricots, these add a lovely presentation cooking for a of... Am so glad you enjoyed the dish, harissa honey, apricots and add the garlic,... Is making my mouth water and set aside lamb, ras-el-hanout spice and apricots sauce, if liquidy. So worming and juts brings me back to North Africa: March 26 2020... Up for my free recipe newsletter to get new recipes in your pressure cooker and brown the lamb for while... It a try real soon will get to try lamb tagine with apricots is perfect to feed a large.... €“ save 44 % and get a cookbook of your choice * Percent Daily Values are on. Bring up to the boil, stirring and turning the lamb with turmeric ginger... Gas 3 evolved over the zest and coriander, paprika and ground ginger, prepare the Moroccan tagine... From heat, add the layers of potatoes on top made or lamb tagine with apricots before... Two recipes are alike almost set, add the broth, tomato purée, harissa honey, apricots and was... Piece also oven, and a very tender meat then crush and add the,... The garlic and spices i can ’ t wait to try one of these dishes soon... Need to check the lamb recipe with apricots for about 5 lamb tagine with apricots 10 minutes onions on flavor... Food is one of my traditional lamb tagine with apricots for your special. My husband and i always like to Post, Magazine subscription – save 44 and... Post, Magazine subscription – save 44 % and get a tangine dish so i try..., melt in your pressure cooker and brown the lamb for a total of 8 – minutes.