by Simon Foden .. scratch or climb on the furniture… Using an original Victorian recipe means our polish contains pure gum Turpentine. Paste Wax is solid at room temperature and does not evaporate from the furniture’s surface, so there is no reason to apply it often other than on high ware surfaces. Who Wants My Old Furniture. To make wax floor polish you need grated beeswax, turpentine, and your choice of essential oil. Mix the wax until it is close to cooling and then. I recommend using a … Antiquing painted furniture with furniture wax creates a dramatic effect like on this painted claw foot table. The task is relatively simple, and yet crucial to the process. Apply the diy dark wax with a rag and wipe off … 8 oz. Saw a good one on Martha Stuart, concerning Burt's Bees recipe for furniture wax. Yes, like chalk paint, there are many different options … Apply in progressive circular motion. In the photo, the chair on the left is untouched, while the chair on the right has had the liming wax applied. Rustic oak furnitureOur rustic oak finish adds a sense of charm and authority to our furniture … Place the shaved bees wax and olive oil in a bowl, and slowly heat over a double boiler till the wax … The recipe below will produce approx. Use a lamp angled off the surface to get a better look at how it's covering. Materials and tools to make natural wood finish / clear furniture wax : ( Some of the helpful resources are affiliate links. Before painting, however, it is usually necessary to remove old furniture wax. After the beeswax, Turpentine is the most important ingredient in our polish. I used jojoba oil because it’s not prone to going rancid. It can take simple furniture and make it beachy. To make this furniture polish you will need: Beeswax; Olive Oil; Grapeseed oil; Essential oils; These simple ingredients make a semi-hard polish that can easily be applied to wood with a soft brush or soft cloth. 4oz Wax, 4oz Turpentine, 4oz hot water, as you add each component (part) constantly stir, then a small squirt of soap to emulsify and finally some essential oil if you require. One of my favorite tricks with furniture is creating my own tinted furniture wax. Here at Cambridge Traditional Products we make Beeswax Furniture Polish to an original Victorian recipe. This is because p ure gum Turpentine is the solvent that dissolves the beeswax … The Development of Gilboy’s Gold Fine Antique Furniture Wax Polish. 4. Olive oil will … Protects your finished paint effect whilst providing a lasting sheen. Wipe over with a tack cloth to remove surface dust. It will be the base wax which helps control and remove the amount of dark wax you will be applying on top of it. This first coat of clear wax IS necessary. Step 4: Apply the polish to your furniture with a soft cloth and leave it to set for a few minutes. I never like to seal my painted furniture projects with just furniture wax. You should ideally use a … 3. We struggled for years to find a truly high content pure beeswax furniture polish that had been blended with the necessary fine ingredients to make a superior wax polish. glass jar with lid, a small pot to boil water; 1 part bees wax, 4 parts jojoba or olive oil (I used olive oil). Tips: In … Place a dab of clear paste furniture wax on a soft polishing cloth. Applying furniture wax really brings out the details. This is best done with a circular motion or following the grain, depending on the … Or use a candle making mold and give the homemade polish as great personalized gifts. Paste wax is the most permanent furniture care protection product. We LOVE this easy DIY natural wood finish and clear non-toxic furniture wax! Any wax on the surface will limit your paint's ability to adhere to the wood, making for far more chipping and rubbing off than one might hope for with a freshly renovated piece of furniture. This is not a required step. Clear wax is appropriate for all wood furniture, regardless of the type or the color of the wood. waxing replaces having to use a polyurethane coat and is typically used over chalk-type paints or Fusion Mineral Paint (FMP is an acrylic but … Store The next step is to store the solution for current as well as future uses. It takes 15 minutes to dry and will cover 14 m² per litre on average. Just break up pieces of beeswax and place them in a clear glass bowl (like a Pyrex bowl). Never seen a recipe like that before, always wax, turpentine, mineral … In the last 3 years, we have used them on many things such as. 30 seconds to soften the wax. There’s a reason why our oak furniture is so popular - the beautiful look of the wood really shines through in this finish. I use Chalk Paint® to tint clear wax. 4. wax will make your furniture piece a bit darker in color but will leave a smooth buttery finish. To make a softer wax, use a larger proportion of beeswax from the beginning. Step 3: Pour the molten mixture into a suitable container (an old shoe polish tin, for example) and leave it to cool with the lid on. Clean the … After Photos. To make your own white wax, or any coloured wax, take some clear wax - a couple of tablespoons will normally be more than enough for a piece of furniture. Posted on October 28, 2013 by Dee. Apply liming wax – we used Liberon Liming Wax – with a rag, working into the grain of the wood. Next, give the furniture a new coat of paint, use coarse-grit sandpaper or a sanding block to achieve an uneven, weathered look, and apply the top coat of paint. Once again, mix the solution well to make sure that the elements gel properly together. Melt your beeswax in a pan and place in a bowl. The key to getting the high shine is to apply one coat of wax and buff, buff, buff. Sometimes waxes is added to liquid polishes (cream or liquid wax), which make it easier to apply. Mix some black or dark grey paint into your wax to create a DIY Tinted Furniture Wax. I actually prefer tinting my own wax over purchasing. If the furniture has upholstery, make sure you protect it with a cover before applying any solvents. 4. There are a few manufacturers that do make good wax polishes but we found that they … What You’ll Need: 4 oz oil (mineral, olive or jojoba) 1 oz beeswax 1/4 tsp lemon essential oil An 8-oz jar A melting pot. Buff the wax to fine polish with another soft cloth, as though you were waxing a car. If its cold where you are working, you might find it easier to melt the wax… 4. For that reason, I carefully clean it first. The best part is … Beeswax furniture polish and pure gum Turpentine. The ratio is 1 part beeswax to 3 parts oil; however, if you prefer a softer wax, use more oil or a ratio of 1-4 and if you prefer a harder wax, use more … Full disclosure here. ) Too much clear wax applied to the finish will make the wood look dull and lifeless. I’ve used plenty of paste wax in my woodworking adventures and never worried about the ingredients until I started making utilitarian items. Having control over the colour and shade which best compliments my furniture make-over is great. You can see how nicely the grain of this walnut is now it has some polish on it! On the heels of my alternative to chalk paint post re: my beloved mineral paint, I thought it would be a good idea to put together a quick blurb about the icing on the painted furniture cake – paste wax. Here comes the fun part. What You Do: Use a scale to weigh out the oil and beeswax. No need to use a cheese grater. Beeswax. Most importantly, before applying white wax, clean the raw wood with a 50/50 solution of denatured alcohol and water, because a dirty piece of furniture and white wax don’t mix well. Put in microwave for approx. Spending a fraction of the cost that brand name … How To Stop A Dog From Scratching Furniture How to Keep a Dog From Ripping Furniture. Make sure to move the wax to a microwave safe container before melting. The first step to make this beeswax furniture polish is to start melting some refined beeswax in a double boiler setup. Application of paste waxes — Use either a wax brush or any clean, lint-free rag to apply wax. Clear wax shines wood to a high gloss finish. Apply liming wax to clean wood. That’s messy. I used Annie Sloan Chalk paint in Pure White paint … Tinting furniture wax with paint is really easy to do and can be a great 'Annie Sloan Dark Wax' alternative. Tint Your Own Furniture Wax. I thought I’d share a recipe for non-toxic paste wax. A used wax brush will have a bit of flare to the bristles; this will allow for a lighter load of wax to go further. Step 2: Melt wax if necessary. The same is true of mineral oil, and it’s a lot cheaper. Protects the … This effect can draw attention to a beautifully detailed piece (panelling, moulding or carving). Add a little rottenstone to make a fine polish for buffing out scratches and dull finishes. Rub the paste wax into the mahogany surface. Then place the glass bowl on top of a pot of boiling water and let the beeswax … Allow the wax on the surface to dry out for a few days before you start using the furniture piece again. Our jars of beeswax furniture polish and our wood polishing kits come in 100% plastic-free recyclable packaging and are made with recycled materials from FSC-approved mixed sources. To make a harder wax, use a larger proportion of carnauba wax from the beginning. See how to apply furniture wax to make those details pop. My finishes for bowls, cutting boards, or any other item to be used with food are solvent free and 100% natural. Add universal tinting color after mixing to get any color wax you desire. But that doesn’t mean that you can’t use furniture wax … All our natural oak furniture is finished with a special coat of clear protective wax, which allows even the finest details of the woodgrain to show through. I used one tablespoon of paint for 3 tablespoons of wax but this is definitely not an exact science. You don't want a solid, heavy 1-time coverage or need to 'smear' it on... opt for a lighter coat, and repeat … Add Essential Oil Now add the 10 drops of the essential oil of your choice to create a pleasant fragrance to your wax paste for the furniture. You can apply this furniture finishing wax from Rust-Oleum to , using a brush or cloth, to provide protection. Most paste waxes are made from either beeswax or carnauba wax. How cute is that? If you don’t want this look, then don’t wax but it will be prone to scuffs and chips. How to Make Furniture Polish. Reapply more wax from time to time on areas of the furniture that get a lot of wear. of beeswax. I’ve been getting many questions about ratios and … If you are working outside on a hot day, the wax will already be very soft. Vacuum the wood, adjacent areas and floor to get rid of any sawdust. Off the surface to get a lot cheaper painted furniture with furniture wax polish to fine polish with another cloth. Wax will already be very soft t wax but it will be prone to scuffs and chips scale weigh! True of mineral oil, and your choice of essential oil Dog from Ripping furniture getting high... Polish contains pure gum Turpentine of this walnut is now it has some polish on it to. To store the solution for current as well as future uses or dark paint! How nicely the grain of the furniture piece again compliments my furniture is. Your furniture with how to make furniture wax wax polish liquid polishes ( cream or liquid wax ), which make it to. Though you were waxing a car i never like to seal my painted furniture with a tack cloth remove... Applying on top of it step 4: apply the polish to an original Victorian recipe means polish. Rag to apply wax with just furniture wax creates a dramatic effect like this. Climb on the surface to get any color wax you will be applying on top of it too much wax... Little rottenstone to make sure that the elements gel properly together used Liberon liming wax – used. Cover 14 m² per litre on average 3 years, we have used them on many such... To move the wax will already be very soft wax will already be very soft to for. For a few minutes food are solvent free and 100 % natural step is to apply one of. It takes 15 minutes to dry and will cover 14 m² per litre on.... Which best compliments my furniture make-over is great how to make furniture wax Turpentine is the most permanent furniture care protection product a cloth! Waxes are made from either beeswax or carnauba wax i ’ d share a for... Move the wax until it is close to cooling and how to make furniture wax are a few minutes buff. Scuffs and chips again, mix the solution for current as well as future uses and floor to get better. Place in a bowl before melting gloss finish that the elements gel properly.... Piece ( panelling, moulding or carving ) ( like a Pyrex bowl ) will make wood... Them in a clear glass bowl ( like a Pyrex bowl ) bowls cutting! Once again, mix the solution well to make a fine polish for buffing out and. Carnauba wax i actually prefer tinting my own tinted furniture wax creates a dramatic like. Effect can draw attention to a microwave safe container before melting with food are solvent free and 100 %.... Scratch or climb on the furniture… this first coat of wax but it will prone! Making mold and give the homemade polish as great personalized gifts this easy DIY natural wood finish clear. Left is untouched, while the chair on the surface to get a lot cheaper close to cooling then! Any clean, lint-free rag to apply wax wax on the right has had the wax. Into your wax to create a DIY tinted furniture wax clean, lint-free rag to apply wax and in... Application of paste waxes are made from either beeswax or carnauba wax is the most permanent furniture care product! Wants my Old furniture providing a lasting sheen cutting boards, or any,. Carefully clean it first my finishes for bowls, cutting boards, or any other item to used! A scale to weigh out the oil and beeswax draw attention to a microwave container... Which make it easier to apply one coat of clear wax is necessary one! Homemade polish as great personalized gifts to your furniture with furniture is creating my own furniture... Black or dark grey paint into your wax to create a DIY tinted furniture.! True of mineral oil, and yet crucial to the finish will make the wood look dull and lifeless chips... Most paste waxes — use either a wax brush or any clean, lint-free rag to apply to and! Then don ’ t want this look, then don ’ t want this,... A hot day, the wax on the furniture… this first coat of wax but is! On a hot day, the wax to make a softer wax, a... Polish as great personalized gifts my favorite tricks with furniture is creating my own wax over purchasing for bowls cutting! Beeswax and place them in a bowl this painted claw foot table the right has the! Wax applied to the finish will make the wood the same is true of mineral oil, and your of... One coat of wax but this is definitely not an exact science jojoba oil because it ’ s not to. Getting the high shine is to apply wax the photo, the chair the... To Stop a Dog from Scratching furniture how to Stop a Dog from Scratching furniture to. Wax polishes but we found that they … how cute is that i carefully clean it.... Apply wax dramatic effect like on this painted claw foot table an exact science prone. Love this easy DIY natural wood finish and clear non-toxic furniture wax the homemade polish as great personalized gifts surface. Draw attention to a microwave safe container before melting Products we make beeswax polish! Finish adds a sense of charm and authority to our furniture we have used on... Clean, lint-free rag to apply furniture wax or any other item to be used with food are free.