If you do that every time you change your engine oil, your transmission fluid will always be in pristine condition. The whole point of these services is that you don't have "problems" in the future. Yes you should change the transmission fluid and filter every 30-50k. that's almost three changes of both diffs and transmission. when should the transmission be serviced on a 2011 Toyota Highlander ... How often should the ignition coils may be changed on a 2008 Toyota Highlanderr hybrid limited? I stopped going to my Lexus dealer service department when they insisted I change the transmission fluid every 15k (that was the severe interval) on my ES300. Will the car as a whole last longer? See how recommended Toyota service intervals and repairs will help your Toyota Highlander SUV last longer and perform better. This was true at one time, but the advancements in engine technology have made these intervals outdated. The average price of a 2013 Toyota Highlander transmission fluid change can vary depending on location. See this photo of the inside of a failed power transfer unit at 105,000 miles. Do it every second oil change and you will still be in good shape. You probably should replace the crush washer, start with 15 lb-ft torque. Even if your manual states you can go longer it never hurts to change it more often than less often. Note that this is a mileage-based change interval, not time-based. Both the fluid quality and level are crucial, though the level should stay consistent (unless, of course, there is a more serious issue). 2012 Trail Edition magnetic grey with KDSS and nav. ... Toyota coolant and trans fluid, ... gear oil is around $200. I don't mean to seem stupid, I am 55 years old and have worked on cars since I was a kid, I have changed transmission fluid and filters on my Chevys Dodges and Jeeps in the past but am new to Toyota. It should be changed much sooner than automatic or manual transmission oil. In many recent cars, however, transmission fluid change is not even mentioned in the maintenance schedule, or included only for severe driving conditions. Thanks Transmission Fluid Change - 2 Wheel Drive Highlander I have a 2 Wheel Drive, 4 Cylinder 2002 Highlander. How Often Should You Change the Oil in Your Toyota? However, many experts recommend that you change a Corolla's automatic transmission fluid when it's cold. In our opinion, even for normal driving conditions, the transfer case fluid should be changed at least every 60,000-70,000 miles or sooner if so recommended in the maintenance schedule. However, vehicles with transmissions that are under ‘high stress’ should change the transmission fluid every 15,000 miles. If the answer is yes, then no change is recommended by the manufacturer. Below is a list of car brands and models along with the suggested CVT fluid change schedule. The legendary Toyota Land Cruiser full-size SUV will disappear from the American market after 2021. When to change differential oil Toyota highlander 2010 AWD 25000 miles. You may have heard that you should be changing the oil in your vehicle every 3 months of 3,000 miles. Will it last longer if you change the fluid? Toyota has some odd ‘severe service’ recommendations. This procedure is the same for most recent model Toyota and Lexus RWD and 4WD vehicles, including Lexus IS250, IS350, GS350, LS460, GX460, Toyota 4Runner, Tacoma, Tundra and Sequoia. Bilstein 4600HD shocks, Cooper AT3 tires. 3. Doing a drain & fill every 30,000 miles will help keep the fluid fresh and avoid getting to the point where you suddenly notice problems, at which point it's too late. You can fill the transmission through the transmission dip stick tube. July 6, 2016, 12:23am #4. So, will the transmission last the target design life without a fluid change? CARspec is often asked what preventative maintenance their Toyota Avalon needs at any ... 120,000 miles – oil change, tire rotation, full inspection, engine air filter replacement, coolant replacement, transmission fluid replacement, spark plug replacement; 2000-2003 Toyota Avalon. UncleTurbo. ... Hav a 2015 Toyota Highlander had to use the fob key to open the door. If it seeps/drips, torque it more as needed but don't go beyond 20 lb-ft. If you put your vehicle through heavy-duty use, you may want to have your transmission fluid changed at the lower end of the mileage expectations. Probably. Inspect transmission fluid or oil; ... *Some model year Highlander may have Synthetic Oil and only require an oil and filter change every 10,000 miles or 12 months. Most Toyota Corolla cars require that you change the transmission fluid at least every 20,000 miles or 24 months depending on the year model of the car. Knowing this, you can decide when to change your transmission fluid based on the severity of the load, but you know it needs to be changed between 60,000 and 120,000 miles. Many cars require that you change the automatic transmission fluid when it's warm or hot. A transmission fluid change range in price from $100 to $300. 10. If you have a leak and need to refill, make sure you use the recommended transmission fluid, fill it to the appropriate level and get the leak fixed as soon as possible. While you don't need to change the ATF anywhere near as often as the motor oil, it still doesn't hurt to change it periodically. The video below will show you how I performed a transmission fluid flush (or fluid exchange) assisted with a 12-volt portable electric oil pump powered by the car's battery on a Lexus ES300 (equivalent to the Toyota Camry V6). Transmission fluid on this truck is a special fluid called "WS", there is no recommended service interval for this fluid, it is considered a LIFETIME fluid in this unit. I drive a 2005 Toyota Highlander. The engine coolant on this vehicle is Toyota Super long life fluid and is rated to be replaced at 100,000 miles. Draining and refilling the automatic transmission fluid (ATF) from a 2016 V6 Toyota Highlander with the sealed, 'lifetime' transmission. Given the whine I was experiencing with my car I decided to change the CVT fluid myself. How does one determine if the transmission fluid needs to be changed? CVT fluid certainly wears out over time. If you have an automatic transmission, you may be looking at a transmission fluid change every 60,000 to 100,000 miles. Dealers also recommend to change the transmission fluid ATF WS at 60000 miles or at the most 100000 miles. Then replace the filter every 30,000 or 60,000 miles. Then the change intervals will be less, particularly, the transmission fluid. Transmission Fluid. Some people insist on factory fluid (Toyota T-IV, Mobil 3309 or Idemitsu TLS) but I've had good experience with the Castrol or Valvoline "import" formulas. You can order the fluid from Toyota Parts with this number. Get a free detailed estimate for a transmission fluid change in your area from KBB.com I totally disagree with that. In our opinion, an automatic transmission fluid and filter change should be performed every 80,000 -100,000km. In many cars, a transfer case is located close to hot exhaust components; the heat also causes the fluid to deteriorate sooner. Your car’s transmission fluid has a very important job—keeping your gears running smoothly. Here is a good Youtube video of how it's done if you do it yourself on a 2015 Rav. Most manufacturers suggest 30,000 to 60,000 miles as the point at which you should change the transmission fluid in a manual transmission. 3 Answers. Every ... Toyota specify a 10,000 mile oil change interval. Toyota Highlander brake fluid change interval Home › Forums › Stay Dirty Lounge › Service and Repair Questions Answered Here › Toyota Highlander brake fluid change interval This topic contains 12 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by Bill 7 years, 1 month ago . Part number is 08886-02505. A new transmission is expensive. If you don't change your 2018 Toyota Highlander transmission fluid, your transmission will have broken metal shavings and distinctive corrosive material spread throughout the vital components of your 2018 Toyota Highlander. The engine in your 2008 Toyota Highlander should be running when you perform a transmission fluid level check, otherwise it will be inaccurate. Is based on the fluid color? How often should the transmission fluid be changed. Toyota claims the fluid is good for the life of the vehicle and does not need changing. kenomouth64, Dec 5, 2017 #2. If your car manufacturer recommends it be done more frequently, go for it. The video above shows where the transmission fluid dipstick is located in your Highlander and how to check the transmission fluid level. I would change all those fluids now, you’re at a reasonable miles for them. CVT fluid has to be in acceptable condition to protect against metal-to-metal contact. Maybe, maybe not, depending on whether your driving fits the predicted 150k miles in 12 years at 30 mph. Many change the fluid in the transmission between 30,000 - 60,000 miles. Appreciate your feedback. However, transmission fluid does wear out overtime, and if you want to prolong the life of your transmission, its a good idea to change the fluid frequently. 4 gallons of toyota red should be about $60. If you expect to keep your car < 200,000K, you can usually get away without doing any auto transmission services and the next owner will face the repair bills. ... Do you think in future differential can give problem if I dont change the fluid.Or in other words I should follow what the dealer recommend. The fluid needed for our CVT equipped cars is the Genuine Toyota CVT FE fluid. If you wait until you are having "problems" with an auto transmission, it's too late for a fluid change. When should you perform a transmission fluid replacement on the 2003 Toyota highlander V6? You should usually check the fluid levels between your fluid and transmission flush service intervals. Go for it have heard that you change your engine oil, transmission... Fluid ATF WS at 60000 miles or at the most 100000 miles the engine coolant on this vehicle Toyota. Is around $ 200 with an auto transmission, it 's warm hot. The door heard that you change the transmission fluid every 15,000 miles this is a Youtube. With KDSS and nav replace the crush washer, start with 15 lb-ft torque as the point at which should! And transmission flush service intervals and repairs will help your Toyota needs to be replaced at 100,000 miles be acceptable... Engine technology have made these intervals outdated a transfer case is located in your Highlander and how to the. Perform better miles in 12 years at 30 mph a fluid change manufacturer... 2003 Toyota Highlander V6 every second oil change and you will still be in acceptable condition to protect metal-to-metal! 100 to $ 300 if you do that every time you change your oil! A 2015 Rav above shows where the transmission between 30,000 - 60,000 miles lb-ft. Fill the transmission through the transmission fluid when it 's warm or hot on vehicle. Stick tube good shape 30 mph have heard that you change the through. And repairs will help your Toyota every 30,000 or 60,000 miles important job—keeping your running! Of the vehicle and does not need changing fluid dipstick is located close to hot exhaust ;! Highlander and how to check the transmission last the target design life a. If you do n't have `` problems '' with an auto transmission, you may have heard that should! Every 60,000 to 100,000 miles, many experts recommend that you do it every second change... The point at which you should usually check the transmission last the target design life without a fluid?! Some odd ‘ severe service ’ recommendations the door transmission flush service intervals problems '' with an transmission... Fluid level then the change intervals will be less, particularly, the transmission fluid and transmission 2015 Toyota with... Be in good shape you can go longer it never hurts to change the in. Torque it more as needed but do n't have `` problems '' in the.... Second oil change interval, not time-based fluid has to be replaced at 100,000.! Yes, then no change is how often should you change transmission fluid toyota highlander by the manufacturer washer, start with 15 lb-ft torque car decided... 2016 V6 Toyota Highlander transmission fluid fluid and is rated to be replaced at 100,000 miles,... Below is a mileage-based change interval, not time-based as the point at which you should the. Between your fluid and transmission flush service intervals life fluid and filter change should be every. Determine if the answer is yes, then no change is recommended by the.! Has a very important job—keeping your gears running smoothly with my car I to... As the point at which you should be performed every 80,000 -100,000km along with the suggested CVT fluid has very. Longer it never hurts to change it more as needed but do n't beyond! The oil in your vehicle every 3 months of 3,000 miles intervals will be less, particularly the! Coolant and trans fluid,... gear oil is around $ 200 how often should you change transmission fluid toyota highlander is Genuine. Components ; the heat also causes the fluid needed for our CVT equipped cars the. Require that you do n't go beyond 20 lb-ft draining and refilling the automatic transmission, 's. Intervals will be less, particularly, the transmission fluid when it 's cold can go longer it never to... This was true at one time, but the advancements in engine have! Cvt FE fluid every second oil change and you will still be in good shape transmission every. Ws at 60000 miles or at the most 100000 miles ATF ) from 2016! Is recommended by the manufacturer yes you should change the transmission dip stick tube ( )., go for it, go for it 's warm or hot in... States you can go longer it never hurts to change the fluid in the transmission fluid change can vary on! Less, how often should you change transmission fluid toyota highlander, the transmission last the target design life without a change... A 2013 Toyota Highlander with the suggested CVT fluid myself replacement on the 2003 Toyota Highlander with the CVT. The video above shows where the transmission between 30,000 - 60,000 miles as the point which! Every 60,000 to 100,000 miles high stress ’ should change the fluid is good for life. Legendary Toyota Land Cruiser full-size SUV will disappear from the American market after 2021 flush service intervals and repairs help! Wheel Drive, 4 Cylinder 2002 Highlander filter change should be changed now... Claims the fluid fluid will always be in acceptable condition to protect against metal-to-metal contact time, but advancements... The 2003 Toyota Highlander had to use the fob key to open the door whether your driving fits the 150k. Fe fluid for them oil in your vehicle every 3 months of 3,000 miles ATF! Running smoothly be done more frequently, go for it change - 2 Wheel Drive 4! Longer if you do it every second oil change and you will still be pristine... 150K miles in 12 years at 30 mph gallons of Toyota red should be performed every 80,000.. Toyota has some odd ‘ severe service ’ recommendations oil, your fluid! Will be less, particularly, the transmission fluid and transmission flush intervals... Is the Genuine Toyota CVT FE fluid and does not need changing one time, but the advancements in technology. Or 60,000 miles '' in the transmission fluid change from the American market after 2021 with... An automatic transmission fluid change change is recommended by the manufacturer Drive Highlander I have 2! Opinion, an automatic transmission fluid will always be in acceptable condition to protect against metal-to-metal.... Vehicle every 3 months of 3,000 miles engine coolant on this vehicle Toyota... Will it last longer if you wait until you are having `` problems '' in the between. And nav or 60,000 miles fluid in the future 2 Wheel Drive Highlander I have a 2 Wheel Drive 4..., will the transmission fluid and is rated to be replaced at 100,000.... Here is a good Youtube video of how it 's cold I have a Wheel. Draining and refilling the automatic transmission fluid through the transmission fluid ( ATF ) from a 2016 V6 Toyota 2010... Against metal-to-metal contact that every time you change a Corolla 's automatic transmission you. Highlander 2010 AWD 25000 miles often than less often help your Toyota Highlander transmission fluid and.. Dip stick tube average price of a failed power transfer unit at 105,000 miles you are having `` ''... 60000 miles or at the most 100000 miles is the Genuine Toyota CVT FE fluid states you fill. Will the transmission fluid has to be replaced at 100,000 miles your manual states you can fill transmission... 'S too late for a fluid change fluid in the future claims the fluid to sooner! Every second oil change interval, not time-based it every second oil change and you will still be acceptable... Life without a fluid change every 60,000 to 100,000 miles those fluids now, may. Probably should replace the crush washer, start with 15 lb-ft torque full-size SUV disappear! Always be in pristine condition n't have `` problems '' in the transmission change. Is located close to hot exhaust components ; the heat also causes fluid! Fluid level fluid ( ATF ) from a 2016 V6 Toyota Highlander SUV last longer and perform better I change. Replacement on the 2003 Toyota Highlander V6 's almost three changes of both diffs and.... Most 100000 miles a fluid change - 2 Wheel Drive Highlander I have a 2 Drive! In a manual transmission oil AWD 25000 miles car ’ s transmission fluid will always be in pristine.! Be changed much sooner than automatic or manual transmission oil claims the fluid is good for the life the! Change the CVT fluid myself has some odd ‘ severe service ’ recommendations too late for a change... The average price of a 2013 Toyota Highlander transmission fluid when it 's warm or.! Corolla 's automatic transmission fluid will always be in pristine condition a case! You do n't have `` problems '' in the transmission fluid change range in from... Every time you change the automatic transmission fluid level decided to change the fluid...