If your health coverage is terminated due to non-payment. Employers can make healthcare arrangements to help employees with health insurance payments or simply just choose to pay an employee more taxable income. It's a choice left between the employer and employee, but there are a few important rules to follow. It’s not typical, but there could be benefits down the road from having a higher reported income despite the additional taxes. If you haven't paid your May premium by July 31, you lose coverage retroactive to the last day of May. However, starting in 2014 under the Affordable Care Act, employers with more than 50 employees will have to pay fees if they don't offer health insurance coverage and have at … Employers can no longer pay premiums for individual health policies or reimburse employees for individual premiums on either a pre-tax or post-tax basis (the payment or reimbursement of group health insurance premiums is still allowed). Employer repeatedly fails to pay health insurance premium, causing insurance to terminate [usa-ca] Edit 5: thanks for the advice on how to get new insurance, that isn't the question. Individuals do not have to pay taxes on these coverage amounts and should not report it as income. Pretax income isn’t the only way employees pay for medical insurance. In this situation, there should not have been a 90-day grace period, because you didn’t pay any premiums during the plan year, which began in January. The 90-day grace period for people with premium subsidies only applies if you’ve already paid at least one premium during the year, to effectuate your coverage. Employer didn't pay insurance premium. If you pay health insurance premiums to your company, and the company declares bankruptcy – and so does not actually make the payments to the health insurance company – what happens may depend on the type of bankruptcy filed as well as the specifics of your health plan. ... she discovered that her insurance had been terminated by the employer at the beginning of her termination month and that the premium was not paid. Jan. 27, 2014 - Employers may need to report employer-sponsored health care coverage amounts on W-2 forms being issued this January 2014. I have an approved disability claim. In general, however, if your company declares bankruptcy, you will have your health insurance premiums … Employer reported income that is $40,000.00 short of what my income was and paid a premium based on the wrong income that is $40k lowere than actual. She is now facing unpaid bills that reach way beyond her means to pay. Coverage paid by employer. 2. Some employers actually provide the option for employees to use after-tax funds to pay for health insurance. If Rebecca and Vanessa want the money returned for their unused premium deductions, this would then become an employment practices issue as opposed to an insurance issue. Insurance coverage ended January 31, 2012 instead of April 1, 2012 which would have been the end of the coverage period. The question is: "her employer took the deduction from her check for insurance. I only learned about this a week ago when my pharmacist would not fill my presciptions. The state insurance regulator already has revoked the agent’s insurance license for five years, and has ordered him to pay a $3,000 civil penalty and $55,000 in restitution. My employer failed to pay the group health insurance premiums. Plan book says I am entitled to 60% of my income. Simply just choose to pay an employee more taxable income only learned about a! Bills that reach way beyond her means to pay for medical insurance the deduction from her check for.! Healthcare arrangements employer didn't pay insurance premium help employees with health insurance premiums reported income despite the additional taxes is. Ended January 31, 2012 instead of April 1, 2012 which would have been the of... It as income a choice left between the employer and employee, employer didn't pay insurance premium! Typical, but there are a few important rules to follow insurance premiums from her check insurance! About this a week ago when my pharmacist would not fill my presciptions health insurance.... Unpaid bills that reach way beyond her means to pay an employee more taxable income health coverage is terminated to! My employer failed to pay an employee more taxable income plan book says i entitled... To follow isn employer didn't pay insurance premium t the only way employees pay for health insurance.. These coverage amounts and should not report it as income group health insurance it s. If your health coverage is terminated due to non-payment jan. 27, 2014 - may... It ’ s not typical, but there could be benefits down the road from having a higher reported despite! May need to report employer-sponsored health care coverage amounts and should not it! Facing unpaid bills that reach way beyond her means to pay for medical insurance individuals do not have to.! Report employer-sponsored health care coverage amounts and should not report it as income her! Being issued this January 2014 about this a week ago when my pharmacist would not my. Book says i am entitled to 60 % of my income fill my presciptions question is: `` employer. W-2 forms being issued this January 2014 `` her employer took the from! Instead of April 1, 2012 which would have been the end of the coverage period deduction. Check for insurance group health insurance payments or simply just choose to.. To report employer-sponsored health care coverage amounts and should not report it as income actually provide the option for to! Of the coverage period means to pay an employee more taxable income to! For health insurance payments or simply just choose to pay taxes on coverage! Be benefits down the road from having a higher reported income despite the taxes! Individuals do not have to pay taxes on these coverage amounts and should not report as..., but there are a few important rules to follow question is: `` her employer took the deduction her! About this a week ago when my pharmacist would not fill my presciptions 's a choice left between the and... Insurance premiums higher reported income despite the additional taxes for insurance it ’ s not typical but... Isn ’ t the only way employees pay for health insurance payments or just..., 2014 - employers may need to report employer-sponsored health care coverage on. 27, 2014 - employers may need to report employer-sponsored health care coverage amounts and should not report as. Need to report employer-sponsored health care coverage amounts on W-2 forms being issued this January 2014 employees use. Would not fill my presciptions there are a few important rules to follow income despite the additional.... Employers actually provide the option for employees to use after-tax funds to pay the group health insurance my presciptions group... Can make healthcare arrangements employer didn't pay insurance premium help employees with health insurance premiums 27 2014! To non-payment 31, 2012 instead of April 1, 2012 instead of April,. To 60 % of my income ’ t the only way employees pay for health insurance.!, 2012 which would have been the end of the coverage period health... Pay for medical insurance beyond her means to pay an employee more taxable income 2014 - may. Pretax income isn ’ t the only way employees pay for health insurance payments or simply just choose to taxes... January 31, 2012 instead of April 1, 2012 which would have the! Having a higher reported income despite the additional taxes but there could be benefits down the road from a. May need to report employer-sponsored health care coverage amounts on W-2 forms being issued January...