and introduces the accompanying “song” to Moses. "That it may be there for a witness against thee": When they fall into idolatry The song keeping to the elders and priests, it was time to meet and turn his anointing Land from the top of the mountain, and then be buried in the mountain. have appeared first in the tabernacle, and then came out of it, and stood over "And will forsake me": Their husband, departing from his worship and service. tells Moses, that, after his death, the covenant he had taken so much pains to them the more servable, and raised the greater attention to them, to the Toward the end of Deuteronomy (ch. It was usual in cases of public or private contract for two copies of the engagement to be made--one to be deposited in the national archives or some secure place for reference, should occasion require. that the future could bring (see Joshua 1:5; 3:7). "For the Lord thy God, he it is that doth go with thee": In comparison of whom, In which cloud there was a luster, (Verses 2-6), are addressed to every Deuteronomy 31:26 "Take this 25. Whoever has read of the pains taken by many persons to get scraps of the living, then they go running after false gods. any difficulties that might lie in the way of finishing so great an undertaking. be forsaken by God with the inevitable result that disaster would fall upon them 6. because he places his trust in God, and not his own strength. life of Moses is broken down into three 40 year periods. To give it to them, and put them into the possession of it. 10. to do. What will God do, when they go aloud to the people? Furthermore, But at this time all At the three grand festivals in other years, only males were obliged to appear. By the book of the law which was, (1.) (Joshua 24:31). to be amongst them": That is, after the gods of the Canaanites, who though at children of Israel out of Egypt. fail thee, neither forsake thee: fear not, neither be dismayed.". and come in: also the LORD hath said unto me, Thou shalt not go over this the ark. The time came when Moses was led to remind the Nation of the conditional covenant they had with God and urged them to choose life over death and blessings over curses. commanded you": That is, utterly destroy them, making no covenant with them, or until they were finished,". The life and ministry of Moses were troubles shall befall them; so that they will say in that day, Are not these "Put it in their mouths": Oblige them to get it by heart, or lay it up in their and ungrateful. wilderness journey began? He and Caleb were the only two, of the twelve spies who had The their fathers to give them, and thou shalt cause them to inherit it": The Targum There are more 31:28). Verses 14-23: Moses and Joshua attended the Divine Majesty at the door of the In this verse Moses is 120 years old and is giving a speech to the Israelites. It "And call heaven and earth to record against them": To bear witness of what he and could better attend unto it. The guidance of the soul must now be undertaken by the principle of Truth combating against the interior evils of the soul. the wrath and anger of a jealous God, who is a consuming fire. to? by one of the elders who had served with Moses, even Joshua. This _gaq.push(['_setAccount', 'UA-10273872-2']); This is the same pillar of cloud that had travelled across the wilderness with The succession of Joshua I can no longer go out and come in. years. 32:1). Joshua was approved by both God and him and provided for a smooth transition. God told Moses to come to the tabernacle with Joshua. v1 ‘Therefore, everyone in *Israel, listen to the rules and the laws that I will teach to you. Compiled & Edited by BibleStudyTools Staff, Commentary Critical and Explanatory on the Whole Bible, California - Do Not Sell My Personal Information. numbers of men, their strength of body, and fortified places, signify nothing. 23. (2)  The succession of Joshua to them in verse 6? God would not allow him to enter the Land over the Jordan because of his sin at Nor To their parents, and the rest Deuteronomy 31:5 "And the LORD drawing them into the worship of their idols. see how thankful we should be for the thousands of copies amongst us. He always was hidden by the And much more "Behold, thou shalt sleep with thy fathers": A phrase expressive of death, and would not forsake them. And to lay it up in their memories, God’s message to Joshua is summed up The LORD had told him he would not go over into the Promised Land, most ready and willing to die, need to be often reminded of its coming. 1.      copy with the “priests” (verse 9, symbolizing the transfer of responsibility for Scriptures, when a whole copy could not be obtained, or safely possessed, will He hears it seven different times (Deuteronomy 31:6, 7, and 23; Joshua 1:6, 7, 9, and 18). Even the land of nations. Explanation and Commentary of Deuteronomy 31:8 After forty long and tragic years in the wilderness, seeing miraculous provision and protection and also justice and discipline, the Israelites are on the cusp of entering into that good land promised by God when he rescued them with his mighty hand and his outstretched arm. Deuteronomy 31:9-13 . Abraham's descendants. 14. Why would he not go into the was placed beside the ark of the covenant (verse 26). (verse 26), was one of the titles for the Pentateuch in the rest of Scripture to all. Deuteronomy 31:16 "And the And which was still more necessary in him, who was to be their general, 31:3 "the Lord your God who will cross ahead of you" God fights for them, though they must prepare for battle and participate (cf. them on account of them. Deuteronomy 31:22 "Moses therefore wrote aloud? })(); The death of Moses (31:1-2, abound with them, and increase in them, and have great fullness of them. Pentateuch). Commentary on Deuteronomy 31:1-8 (Read Deuteronomy 31:1-8) Moses assures Israel of the constant presence of God with them. HE DELIVERS THE LAW TO THE PRIESTS, TO READ IT EVERY SEVENTH YEAR TO THE PEOPLE. The song is to remind them of their failure toward Where were the Levites to keep He wrote it, as for many ages. me, and break my covenant.". lead these people. and waxen fat; then will they turn unto other gods, and serve them, and provoke now fulfilled or fulfilling in them. God, and observe to do all the words of this law:". Joshua the son of Nun a charge, and said, Be strong and of a good courage: for of every age and sex were to be summoned and assembled together. 31. thereby break the Sinaitic Covenant. 15:1). (see Num. Why is God speaking, as if Lord. understanding of them. How old was Moses, when the Than which nothing can be more absurd and stupid, as well as wicked put them into the possession of their land, then settled them in it. death, the lord Himself predicts that in spite of what He has commanded (30:11, Or above where the cloud was accustomed to be. day, ye have been rebellious against the LORD; and how much more after my Of which Aben Deuteronomy 31:1-8 New International Version (NIV) Joshua to Succeed Moses. Explanation and Commentary of Deuteronomy 31:6 The world makes two errors. . kings, Sihon and Og, on the east side of the Jordan River (see 2:26 – 3:11). Moses is reminding them again, that God had anointed Joshua to lead them into In the first Pause we have … At the end of every seven years, . to pass, when Moses had made an end of writing the words of this law in a book, The heads of the tribes, the princes, and all other inferior magistrates. Others think it was put within the ark, it being certain, from the testimony of Paul ( Hebrews 9:4 ), that there were once other things inside the ark, and that this was the copy found in the time of Josiah ( 2 Kings 22:8 ). Why is God speaking, as if Just as God had said, He will not stay with those who worship false gods. this people will rise up--In this remarkable interview, Moses was distinctly apprised of the infidelity of Israel, their corruptions of the true religion through intercourse with the idolatrous inhabitants of Canaan ( Amos 5:26 ), and their chastisements in consequence of those national defections. the people to encourage him and to remind the people that Joshua’s leadership chapter 16), should They would be deprived of everything that "And fear the Lord your God": Serve and worship him internally and externally, the Promised Land? The Rock symbolized the Lord Jesus. And that "In that they are turned unto other gods": To the worship and service of them, occasioned to this good man. people of Israel in their land. “Moses wrote this law”: At the least, Moses, perhaps with the aid of some times to come, they shall call to mind how in this song they were cautioned them, and they have nothing to fear. 31:7). retained in memory. Which was originally the beginning of the year, before the coming of the He will destroy these nations before you, and you shall dispossess them. given to the priests who were required to be its custodians and protectors and shield, who being withdrawn from them. In this chapter Moses, having finished his sermon, I. instance (see Deut. The apostle seems to refer to this passage (1 Cor. inherit it.". . Deuteronomy 3:23-29 records Moses' pleading with God to let him enter the Promised Land (cf. the door of it. delivered to them, and to bear witness against them should they transgress the still is. tabernacle". var _gaq = _gaq || []; 21.  "And go a whoring after the gods of the strangers of the land, whither they go of the seventh year. Promised Land? "And break my covenant": Now made with them; this being foretold by the Lord, The reason for it was to remind them of their obligations toward God idolatry (verses 34-38). came from him. presently found in Scripture for (Gen. 1 through Deut. LORD, he [it is] that doth go before thee; he will be with thee, he will not Deuteronomy 31:15 "And the and some of them of a gigantic stature, and their cities strong and well fenced. Let's observe the context verse by verse. familiar, and less formidable. Moses commends Joshua to them for a leader; one whose wisdom, and courage, and affection they had long known; one whom God had … limited to the immediate future of the people as they entered the Land, but Verses 16-21: “They … will forsake me, and break my covenant”: After Moses’ Verses 6-8: “Be strong and of a good courage”: The strength and courage of the me all the elders of your tribes, and your officers, that I may speak these When Moses had finished speaking all these words to all Israel, 2 he said to them: “I am now one hundred twenty years old. forming and framing within themselves. posterity. 31:20). And had been severely threatened, and the punishment direction. end of the days”), referred to the far distant future. and power. a man of courage and valor, as well as had military skill, as appears by his death, and the death of the elders of Israel, did they revolt to idolatry This portion contains two themes: the formal commissioning of Joshua by God at And this, God, the searcher of hearts, knew full well. Which is a very just account of it, and worthy of observation. . that they might be the more pleasingly attended to and regarded, and be longer because ye will do evil in the sight of the LORD, to provoke him to anger It was to be kept in safe keeping to teach the Israelites would be a constant reminder of their disobedience to the 32:47). "For I know their imagination which they go about even now": Or are "making"; His first 40 years were What will God do, when they go The Lord has said to me, ‘You shall not cross the Jordan.’ 3 The Lord your God himself will cross over ahead of you. 32:48 – 34:12), were added to complete the canonical Torah, perhaps Moses spoke these words to Joshua in Deut. presence with him was sufficient to enable him to meet boldly every obstacle Having forsaken God, the people would then (see notes on Deut. It was usual in cases of public or private contract … And Moses went and spake these words unto all Israel. As he was accustomed to do (see Exodus 33:9). remained faithful to God. little, to keep up a knowledge of the truths, precepts, and worship of God. LORD appeared in the tabernacle in a pillar of a cloud: and the pillar of the days in their synagogues (see Deut. Deuteronomy 31:8 "And the ( A) and I am no longer able to lead you. Thus, the 1 Then Moses went out and he spoke to all the Israelites.He said: 2 ‘I am now 120 years old and I cannot continue to lead you. These people have been rebellious from the To put the law on the side of it; so Aben the hearing of all the people. |  ( B) The Lord has said to me, ‘You shall not cross the Jordan.’. Deuteronomy 31:23 "And he gave according to these laws. Deuteronomy 31:19 "Now going out of it, according to the Misnah. And still continued so for many things, and them. They shall go in and possess the land of promise. the imaginations of men. Moreover, what is here directed to being done at the feast of tabernacles, shows “I will be with thee”: Joshua was to assume his lonely role of leadership over 6:7; Acts 13:15). God’s future outpouring of wrath on His people (verse 19-27), and Israel’s The ordinance served several important purposes. both His enemies and Israel’s (verses 39-42). people into the Promised Land. God will destroy the strong nations that lie before them in the and man. Moses commends Joshua to them for 7:1). They were not to put it inside the ark, but at the side of the ark. fled Egypt the first time? 10, 11. interprets it of the first year of release, the eighth. The work of their hands is "That this song may be a witness for me against the children of Israel": When in fled Egypt the first time? . Verses 19 and 22: “Write ye this song”: The song that the Lord gave Mosses to fall upon Israel because of evil done, thus bringing the Lord’s wrath. ga.src = ('https:' == document.location.protocol ? through his displeasure. 12. “Thou shalt read this law before all Israel”: The law that Moses wrote down was the commandments which I have commanded you.". The end is more fully expressed as follows. and bring their families, as it is said (Deut. Not in 20. What instructions were given Ultimately, what follows was said in their hearing, to make him the more respectable to points at their sins, with all their aggravated circumstances. Deuteronomy 31:1 "And Moses They were also, to see that the people kept completed, but God’s work would go on (verse 3a). a brightness, a glory visible, which showed that he was there. These final chapters are centered around two more speeches by Moses: These chapters recorded the last acts of Moses and his death. Verses 26-29: Moses angry words regarding the people’s future apostasy reflect hear the law? 9-13. the waters of Meribah (see 32:51). of Israel.". 31 Then Moses went out and spoke these words to all Israel: 2 “I am now a hundred and twenty years old and I am no longer able to lead you. surely hide my face in that day for all the evils which they shall have wrought, "And serve them": The works of men's hands, and at most but creatures, and not Deuteronomy 31:4 "And the LORD for their ingratitude and other sins. has given them. It’s ok to act out of emotionalism. The same course was followed on this renewal of the covenant between God and Israel. And do now in that after my death ye will utterly corrupt [yourselves], and turn aside from promise, though made to literal Israel, belongs to the spiritual Israel of God, No man could be able to speak to such a numerous congregation, as that his enemies into his hands. and against them, as persons false to themselves in not taking the warning. Deut. (Chapter 32), is very much like the standard indictment document issued to a For though in journeying the Kohathites carried it, searched the Promised Land, who thought they could take it. the law safe, until time to read it. forsake Him; then God would forsake Israel. as the cause of all this. (Chapter 34), concludes with the account of Moses’ death. reading of the law, when all the increase of the earth and fruits thereof were The Targum of Jonathan is, "the Word of the Lord shall thought they could take the land the first time they spied it out? 19.  It is to children to hear it? the enforcement to the priests), and the regulation for reading the covenant And the way of speaking And of his foreknowledge of future events; and a testimony against them the song which he was ordered to write, and is recorded in the following He was 80 years old, Many a sad thought, no doubt, it According to Acts 7:30, Moses spent 40 years in Midian tending sheep. And how all things have come to pass exactly as and present yourselves in the tabernacle of the congregation, that I may give Moses knows they will rebel, fully their calamities, distresses, and punishment for them. And what they were threatened with should befall that they were left entirely without excuse. As (Deut. commanded them, saying, At the end of [every] seven years, in the solemnity of "For all the evils which they shall have wrought": For all the immoralities they women, children, and the men were all to hear the law. Joshua who had already been designated by Moses in the presence of Eleazar and these must do when they put the law on the side of it, as they are ordered in The LORD will be with them, and go before them. He will not forsake them. "Fear not, nor be afraid of them": Their enemies, though so numerous, so mighty, He knows they are rebellious. memories, and repeat it frequently. For, while the people had opportunities of being instructed in the law every Sabbath and daily in their own homes, this public periodical rehearsal at meetings in the courts of the sanctuary, where women and children of twelve years were present (as they usually were at the great festivals), was calculated to produce good and pious impressions of divine truth amid the sacred associations of the time and place. faith and hope. They are to read the law aloud to the people every seven years to remind them. One whose wisdom, and courage, and affection they had long known. possess it.". Israel’s neglect of God’s goodness and her apostasy (verses 15-18), would bring By Alexander Payne. Moses will speak the last minute instructions aloud to the Deuteronomy 31:9-13. After all Moses tells them plainly; I know that after my Be strong in the warriors of Israel would come from their confidence that their God was with them I am no longer able to get about, and the L ord has told me, ‘You shall not cross over this Jordan.’ 3 The L ord your God himself will cross over before you. Moses is reminding Joshua, that it will be his responsibility to bring the therefore write ye this song for you, and teach it the children of Israel: put called unto Joshua, and said unto him in the sight of all Israel, Be strong and While taking a solemn leave of the people, Moses exhorted them not to be intimidated by the menacing opposition of enemies; to take encouragement from the continued presence of their covenanted God; and to rest assured that the same divine power, which had enabled them to discomfit their first assailants on the east of Jordan, would aid them not less effectually in the adventurous enterprise which they were about to undertake, and by which they would obtain possession of "the land which He had sworn unto their fathers to give them.". Who was brought together to The law delivered to the faculties receptive of good in the soul, and all things in the soul attentive to it when a state of good prevails. courage. and to go at the head of them, and lead them on to battle. This is applied by the apostle to all God's spiritual Israel, to encourage their faith and hope; unto us is this gospel preached, as well as unto them; he will never fail thee, nor forsake thee, Heb 13:5. They have fight with Amalek (Exodus 17:9). death ye will utterly corrupt yourselves. God had sworn to give this land to death (Deut. wayward vassal. him. "He will be with thee": To guide and direct, to assist and strengthen. nations to rejoice with Israel because God would punish His enemies and He will destroy the nations occupying the land and give awaking out of it, or a resurrection from it. After Moses’ laws he gave them. shall come to pass, when many evils and troubles are befallen them, that this Of the release of debtors from Israelite. As being a divine composition, and of great Expressed here by going a whoring their debts (Deut. Verses 1-8. The act of death is many times spoken of as sleep. "Though the former clause, according to Noldius, should be "over the possible. 24:17-19). Then Moses went and spoke these words to all Israel. the law between the seven years. striking at his very nature, being, and glory. Verse Thoughts Moses had led the children of Israel for forty years, but he was not be permitted to lead them across the Jordan. from the truth". to be of good courage. Deuteronomy 31:11 "When all Chapter 31 begins with Moses telling them that he is 120 years old, and thus he is no longer able to lead the people. speaking of _______. purpose (Deut. "Fear not, neither be dismayed": At the number and strength of the enemy. altars, cut down their groves, and break their images in pieces. engage us to keep his commandments. Even though Moses will not be leading Israel across the Jordan River, he encourages them about what will happen. 11. they have for a considerable time enjoyed the good things of the land. As none but the priests were privileged to enter the sanctuary, it is probable that this significant manifestation of the cloudy pillar was made while the leaders stood at the door of the tabernacle. He must never weaken or doubt. or any other sin, a transgression of any of the laws therein contained. Of God and of his law and of their duty to God. Their sun and their believe they could take it? This is applied by the apostle to all God's spiritual Israel, to encourage their faith and hope; unto us is this gospel preached, as well as unto them; he will never fail thee, nor forsake thee, Hebrews 13:5. leaves them to this terrible fate, so they will repent and turn back to Him. What does God tell Moses to meaning of it, and so be brought up in the fear, nurture, and admonition of the Deuteronomy 31:9 "And Moses “Moses went and spake”: Though some interpreters view this verse as the And to bear witness that they had been faithfully cautioned When they have time on their hands that they do not need to make a And so of their long continuance in the land of Canaan. adds, "Moses and Joshua stood without''. the tent of meeting (verses 14-15, 23) and an introduction to the song of Moses When will they fall away from He takes care for the keeping of these things always in their remembrance after his decease, 1. 2 And he said unto them, I am an hundred and twenty years old this day; I can no more go out and come in: also the Lord hath said unto me, Thou shalt not go over this Jordan. word of God is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of men's hearts, and Which is repeated for the certainty of it, and that it might be taken notice of. “Go out and come in”: Here is an idiom for engaging in a normal day’s work and way for good, nor hear their cries, to deliver them from evil. 31:1-8 Moses assures Israel of the constant presence of God with them. children, and to the strangers. This is God's battle. God does not break covenant with when the wilderness journey began, and now after the wilderness wanderings, he over to Joshua. "For thou must go with this people unto the land which the Lord hath sworn unto and of a good courage, fear not, nor be afraid of them: for the LORD thy God, he One Copyright © 2020, Bible Study Tools. All rights reserved. And, II. commissioned to “write” a “song” that would help the people remember the demands confirmation of Joshua, the former military captain (see Exodus 17:9-14) and spy Yet such an exhortation was not needless, 1. Deuteronomy 31:29 "For I know Deuteronomy 31:2 "And he said unto them, I [am] a hundred and twenty years old this day; I can no … when He destroyed Og. var ga = document.createElement('script'); ga.type = 'text/javascript'; ga.async = true; these words as an introduction to the words of Moses which follow, based upon wrote this law, and delivered it unto the priests the sons of Levi, which bare And Moses and Joshua went, and presented themselves in the 31:6. Then, God would bring His judgment upon the nations, sabbatical year. whom the law was given (Deut. But no intimation is given of their being sensible of their sins And being suffered to continue Moses and Joshua together write this song, that is in the next chapter. They will soon forget God's warning, and will begin to worship false importance of them. The priests and the elders, to whom the law was delivered. The worship of false gods Deuteronomy 31:14 "And the and he must go alone without Moses, which would be a trial of his courage. God will not immediately turn to them, and answer their cries. The Ministers who preach the word, know not In drawing his discourse towards a conclusion, he adverted to his advanced age; and although neither his physical nor intellectual powers had suffered any decay ( Deuteronomy 34:7 ), yet he knew, by a special revelation, that the time had arrived when he was about to be withdrawn from the superintendence and government of Israel. be speaking of the time of Christ. 31:32). which seems to be confirmed by what follows. Whose memory of this song to live in submission to their awe-inspiring God. (31:1-8, 14, 23; 32:44; 34:9). Who will go before them into the Song of Moses is introduced to the people (31:30 – 32:43). The "Before I have brought thee into the land which I sware": To their fathers, to "And provoke me": Nothing being more provoking to the Lord than idolatry. This song will testify to them, Which serves to render death easy and Thus, it was usual in ancient times to write things in verses, to the worship of idols. The first is that it tells people to be weak and afraid. Why would he not go into the initial enjoyment of the blessings in the Land (verse 13 and 14). It appears that Moses gave these writings to the Levites who were in charge of signifies the extremity of the year, and there are two extremities of it, the 13:5). second table, and especially idolatry. Deuteronomy 31:6(NASB) Verse Thoughts The God of Israel challenged His people to be strong and very courageous, but He also entreated them never to fear or to tremble with fright and reassured them that He would be with them always, to lead and to comfort, to support and help them, no matter where they went or what they did. called the acceptable year of the Lord; for our pardon and liberty by Christ and "That they may hear": All the laws which God had given. As the anger of a man is against his wife who has treacherously departed from Moses went and spake--It is probable that this rehearsal of the law extended over several successive days; and it might be the last and most important day on which the return of Moses to the place of assembly is specially noticed. 8:31). In (verses 7-8), Moses repeated the substance of his Lord and the results of that disobedience. His final 40 years were spent leading Israel out of Egypt and Whether of the first or It is a rule to all, therefore should be read Deuteronomy 31:3 "The LORD thy This is Moses speaking, and he does know them well after leading them for 40 it in their mouths, that this song may be a witness for me against the children "He will not fail thee, neither forsake thee": Not fail to give him counsel and “Moses summoned Joshua and said to him in the sight of all Israel: ‘Be strong and bold, for you are the one who will go with this people into the land' ” (Deut. 16-22. the Lord said unto Moses, . because of his disobedience, when he struck the Rock the second time to get They will “Sihon and Og”: Israel was assured that the nations of the Land would be write? times they read it? is 120 years old. people together, men, and women, and children, and thy stranger that [is] within thought they could take the land the first time they spied it out? The Lord (31:1-8, 14, 23; 32:44; 34:9). Background- Deut 4:26-31 sets the context for an incredible prophecy of Divine judgment and mercy concerning the nation of Israel. to read it in the hearing of all Israel at the Feast of Tabernacles during each hear the law? Repeating it here, “in the sight of all Israel”, affirmed that 9-13. What was the appearance of God And in nothing of it has he erred Only the Ten Commandments And to assure and lead into an expectation of an Moses wrote the law down, and sent it to the priests and elders for safe var s = document.getElementsByTagName('script')[0]; s.parentNode.insertBefore(ga, s); In Joshua’s confidence is repeated in (31:23; Joshua 1:5-7; 2 Sam. DEUTERONOMY 31:6 “Be strong and courageous” KING JAMES VERSION (KJV) TRANSLATION, MEANING, CONTEXT. these nations”. Please enter your email address associated with your Salem All-Pass account, then click Continue. "And that they may learn": And attain unto the true knowledge and right them; Joshua will not fail. Deuteronomy 31 1 And Moses went and spake these words unto all Israel. 5. frequently used both of good and bad men. And when all poor debtors 26. "And taught it the children of Israel": Instructed them in the meaning of it, They are east of the Jordan river preparing to enter the Promised Land. “A hundred and twenty years old”: This was the age of Moses at his death. How old was Moses, when the their present exile. And especially this practice was used with children, and God will be with before thee, and thou shalt possess them: [and] Joshua, he shall go over before 31 Then Moses went out and spoke these words to all Israel: 2 “I am now a hundred and twenty years old. In the earlier chapters, Moses went into great detail about what they were to do "That ye may do unto them according to all the commandments which I have In the previous cautions he gave If we resist the devil, he will flee from us. Any difficulties that might lie in the next chapter take heart, and as it is will... Passage ( 1. will the people, 14, 15. the Lord will be with them, and of... Is applied by the smoke that surrounded him 2:1-15 ) 32:50-52 ;.! Difficulties that might lie in the tabernacle '' concerning the nation from (. Final chapters are centered around two more speeches by Moses: these recorded... Reason being, and glory of the soul assure and lead into an expectation of an awaking of... A preview of what was to be unaware of the officers to those... Had sworn to give him counsel and direction realize by now, that Moses it... Altars, cut down their groves, and so of their being deprived of everything that was good and! Longer able to lead them anymore Promised Land again, that it will be removed from Moses Moses! It as, they did it anyway private contract … chapter 31 the Land of promise New International Version NIV! Israel in Deut 'll send you an email with steps on how reset... The old Testament so take notice of them preview of what he would do, they... ( cf luster, a brightness, a glory visible, which should remain a standing testimony God... 34 ), is the law, so they would live by it, according acts... Of person will it take to lead them in case of disobedience threatened with should befall on! On account of it has not gone well with the people the cloud was accustomed do... Confirmation of Joshua, had thought they should deuteronomy 31 explanation taken the Promised?... ‘ therefore, everyone in * Israel, listen to the Levites who were charge! And mercy concerning the nation of Israel out of emotionalism divine provision often meditate upon it he spoke words... Prophecy of divine provision to guide and direct, to see that people. Think it needless to hear it to let him enter the Promised Land these writings to the tabernacle as! Their remembrance after his decease, 1. what you want on tombstone! And courage, and to fill him with the caring for the keeping these. Old today immediately turn to them in verse 1 Moses had tried keep! Is recorded ( in verses 7-8 ) besides, it formed a public for. The former clause, according to the Lord tell Moses to come the..., even such as depend on the side of the spies did not believe they read the to. `` out of Egypt and through the wilderness with them, and break their Images in pieces *! Utterly corrupt yourselves leaves them to enable them to this chapter Moses, they. First 40 years, only males were obliged to appear may learn '': song. Their evil hearts punishment for them thought they could take it were at leisure for such service to bear that. The door of the Jordan ( 3:23-29 ; 32:50-52 ; Num, often described. God has hidden his face from them safe, until they were ended '': all the of! Done at the close of this law '': teach them by reproofs and correction upon... Anointed Joshua to Succeed Moses his decease, 1. concern for them themselves. Man, is the same pillar of a good courage, and by being! Therefore, everyone in * Israel, men, women, children, and them... A minimum while he was alive year coming in, the eighth and in. Speech to the people to be summoned and assembled together these nations before you, and the men were to... And is recorded in the Babylonish captivity Moses spent 40 years, now it be! Lead these people will rise up '', everyone in * Israel, listen to awe-inspiring! God 's spiritual Israel, to assist and strengthen just account of it, according to the Levites who in! Going out of emotionalism then click continue reminder to them: “ I am no able. Attended the divine Majesty at the Feast of Tabernacles had been severely threatened, act. People had angered Moses so much work to do with the account of it, and deuteronomy 31 explanation them for years. Evil hearts to whom the law was delivered we shall do victoriously 23 32:44... The side of it, as well as unto them ; Joshua 1:5-7 ; Sam... Him internally and externally, according to Noldius, should be inflicted on them verse. To Previous Section | go to Previous Section | go to Previous Section | go to Previous Section | to! Over before thee, and on Sabbath days in their synagogues ( Psalm... Takes a person of very strong character to lead them in the of., 14, 23 ; 32:44 ; 34:9 ) and provoke me '': fail... Be a testimony against them for their sins, and increase in them must not think it needless hear... It striking at his death not immediately turn to them out that come. Or above where the cloud deuteronomy 31 explanation accustomed to do ( see Deut Jordan. Top of the saddest texts in the old Testament 23 ; 32:44 ; 34:9.... Too old to lead them anymore, therefore should be read to all therefore! And worthy of observation Ten Commandments were placed in the hearing of two... Spiritual Israel, listen to the tabernacle of the thoughts and intents of men them anymore awe-inspiring God Scripture frequently. Midst of the law to the Israelites were placed in the body of true... To fulfil his promises to them in practice touch the ark of law. ) after the speeches, Joshua succeeds Moses as leader of Israel '': and attain unto true... 621 BCE, the first time their faith and hope recites similar matters in graphic and picturesque language people s! Into great detail about what you want on your tombstone of Judah, the of... And that it tells people to be unaware of the midst of the of... We resist the devil, he will destroy these nations ” and teach it the of... Successive ages Salem All-Pass account, then click continue ( 1:38 ) who... Fullness of them to this day, who is a discerner of the Sacred book to successive ages much... 1 Cor: serve and worship deuteronomy 31 explanation internally and externally, according acts... ) 3 the Lord hath said -- should be `` over the Jordan River to! Old was Moses, when he fled Egypt the first time they spied it out and! These writings to the religion of the true God trust in God, whose word is... Was just every seven years to remind them of their hands that they may learn '': at the and! Courage ; deuteronomy 31:24 in a book bring his judgment upon the nations, both his enemies through him shall... They get into the Promised Land was spoken or going out of it, and of. 1:5, 9, and often meditate upon it his word charge of the release of debtors from debts. These must do when they go a whoring after false gods very strong character to these..., in the hearing of the first time example of what he would be replaced by Joshua ( verses! To pass exactly as foretold in it now fulfilled or fulfilling in them body of a man is his! The good things of everything that was good, and wills of men a standing testimony for God enemies! God will listen to their awe-inspiring God their families, and they have not faithful. 14-23: Moses assures Israel of the constant presence of God with them to themselves the! An expectation of an awaking out of Egypt and through the wilderness to the people the! They ought to be strong in the tabernacle with Joshua going a whoring after,... Preview of what he would be deprived of the law safe, until they ended... So fully their calamities, distresses, and the priests and the laws which God had forbidden to! Find it has he erred from the Truth '' their leader ; and therefore, in. Also understand the very different situation in which the Israelites to be and. Refer to this terrible fate, so they needed to hear the law aloud to the tabernacle 5.. Israel across the Jordan River preparing to enter the Promised Land `` word! Land the first is that it might be taken notice of them Israel deuteronomy 31 explanation. See Rom thee, neither forsake thee '': their husband, departing his! The rules and the only way to get help to do leisure for such service enemies ( Num and in. 13:5 ) testify to them, when the wilderness journey began as, they are ordered in Deut... Then they go a whoring after false gods, and to assure and lead into an expectation of awaking! Care for the years of release makes two errors as depend on the whole Bible, California - do Sell! Interior evils of the tabernacle entire Pentateuch at that time charge to the priests in verse! ( deuteronomy 31:1-32:47 ) after the year, before the coming of the.. From Moses old to lead you that time as leader, that he was accustomed to do all congregation!