Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg is the subject of the award-winning documentary RBG. “Ruth Bader Ginsburg gave us hope, a public figure who stood for integrity and justice – a responsibility she did not wear lightly,” Jones said. A new documentary rules in favor of RBG. ". And for her, that meant, "Fight for the things that you care about, but do it in a way that will, "Dissents speak to a future age. Directed by Julie Cohen, Betsy West. Ruth Bader Ginsburg reacts to Academy Award nomination for 'RBG' Updated 3:38 PM ET, Tue January 22, 2019 Washington (CNN) - Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg was in good spirits on Tuesday following news that the documentary film about her life had been nominated for Best Documentary at the Academy Awards. NEW YORK (AP) — Indirectly, the late Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg inspired CNN Films’ new documentary on the life of civil rights icon Rep. John Lewis. CNN is the North American broadcast distributor for the documentary. But the greatest dissents do become court opinions and gradually over time their views, "We are at last beginning to relegate to the history books, "They have never been a 13-year-old girl. Both films were originally released in 2018. The unexpected commercial success of the “RBG” film in theaters two years ago had CNN looking for another contemporary leader whose life could be seen in historical terms. Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg has died at the age of 87, CNN reports. Both film companies will be donating their net proceeds from the films’ theatrical re-release to the American Civil Liberties Union Foundation in support of their Women’s Rights Project, which was co-founded by Ginsburg back in 1972. CNN Films premiered their own documentary called, RBG, this past Sunday at Sundance Film Festival, and it is set to air on their network at a later date. It's not simply to say, 'My colleagues are wrong and I would do it this way.' Following Ginsburg's death, Jones released a statement honoring the American political icon. By Melissa Goldberg. As if one feminist biopic about Ruth Bader Ginsburg in 2018 wasn’t enough, CNN has partnered with two liberal production companies to release yet another one this year. Photo: Courtesy of Storyville Films/CNN Films. It also announced that it’s offering private screenings of the two movies. rise to the nation’s highest court while becoming an unexpected pop culture icon. The films will be available in approximately 1,000 theaters nationwide with about 70% of locations open. © Copyright 2020 Variety Media, LLC, a subsidiary of Penske Business Media, LLC. "When I'm sometimes asked 'When will there be enough (women on the Supreme Court)?' and my answer is: ', "My mother told me to be a lady. "RBG" was an unexpected box office hit and gave the justice an even larger platform to share her lifelong mission of gender equality. Success of Ginsburg film inspires CNN look at John Lewis In an indirect way, the late Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg was responsible for CNN's new documentary on the life of … nickname through decades of fighting for equality, on the bench and off. CNN has picked up first-run rights to the film and will be airing it … At the age of 85, U.S. Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg has developed a lengthy legal legacy while becoming an unexpected pop culture icon. She was first a trailblazing attorney for women's rights, and then the second woman appointed to the high court. Updated 4:47 PM ET, Sun September 20, 2020. She had good humor about her late-in-life fame, like her rapper-inspired moniker. “Like … (CNN) Ruth Bader Ginsburg's legacy, in so many ways, is fundamentally important to understanding our current national and global age of Black Lives Matter. The unexpected commercial … Ginsburg … SCHNEIDER (voice-over): There was a feature film, "On The Basis of Sex," and a documentary produced by CNN. Explore her unique and unknown personal journey of her rise to the nation's highest court. NEW YORK (AP) — Indirectly, the late Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg inspired CNN Films’ new documentary on the life of civil rights icon Rep. John Lewis. But don't worry if you missed it, the Ruth Bader Ginsberg documentary won't be gone for long. KATE MCKINNON, COMEDIAN, "RUTH BADER GINSBURG": Oh, you just got Ginsburned. “She will be missed not only as a beacon of light in these difficult times but for her razor-sharp wit and extraordinary humanity. “On the Basis of Sex,” which was released by Focus Features and presented by Participant, chronicled Ginsburg’s early life in law school and her groundbreaking case Moritz v. IRS, the first case ever to rule that gender discrimination is a violation of the U.S. Constitution. (CNN) The late Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg earned her "Notorious RBG." Variety and the Flying V logos are trademarks of Variety Media, LLC. nickname through decades of fighting for equality, on the bench and off. She was 87. Supreme Court justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg died today at age 87.Ginsburg, a powerful figure in the fight for gender equality, died as a result of complications with … Felicity Jones portrayed Ginsburg and Mimi Leder directed. Here are 10 of her most famous quotes that show her commitment and candor. The exceptional life and career of U.S. Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg, who has developed a breathtaking legal legacy while becoming an … She taught us all so much. "She will be missed not only as a beacon of light in these difficult times but for her razor sharp wit and extraordinary humanity. I will miss her deeply”, West and Cohen said, “From her Supreme Court chambers to her exercise room, what a privilege and a joy it was for us to train our cameras on RBG, and capture the story of this feisty, determined, brilliant woman who used her talents to make our world a better place.”. 3 months ago. Ginsburg died Sept. 18 at the age of 87. Betsy West and Julie Cohen, who directed RBG, the feature-length documentary about Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg, reacted Friday to Ginsburg’s death Friday at age 87. Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg died on Friday due to complications of metastatic pancreas cancer, the court announced. Focus Features and Magnolia Pictures said Tuesday that they will rerelease their respective Ruth Bader Ginsburg features On the Basis of Sex and the documentary … Receiving a theatrical release, this CNN Films project dutifully recounts Ginsburg's professional history, including her multiple arguments before the Supreme Court -- championing … Indeed, her … Focus Features and Magnolia Pictures have jointly announced that they will be re-releasing the Ruth Bader Ginsburg biopic “On the Basis of Sex” and the documentary “RBG” on Friday in theaters. (CNN)The late Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg earned her "Notorious RBG." CNN is the North American broadcast distributor for the documentary. The Oscar-nominated and Emmy-winning documentary “RBG,” directed by award-winning filmmakers Betsy West and Julie Cohen and released to theaters and on demand by Magnolia Pictures and Participant, chronicled the story of Ginsburg’s "Ruth Bader Ginsburg gave us hope, a public figure who stood for integrity and justice- a responsibility she did not wear lightly," Jones said in a statement to CNN. CNN to air the Ruth Bader Ginsburg documentary, ‘RBG’ ... A lot of people have been eager to see the new documentary about Ruth Bader Ginsburg, called … She passed away at 87 on Sep. 18, 2020. Hulu is honoring the life and legacy of Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg with a free stream of the critically acclaimed CNN Films documentary “RBG.” Read Next: Ray Fisher Says He’s Done Working With DC Films President Walter Hamada, Netflix Delaying ‘The Gray Man’ Production Amid Surging California COVID-19 Cases, Millie Bobby Brown to Star in the Russo Brothers’ Sci-Fi Film ‘The Electric State’, Peter Lamont, Production Designer on Bond Films Who Won Oscar for ‘Titanic,’ Dies at 91, Dawn Wells, ‘Gilligan’s Island’s’ Mary Ann, Dies of COVID at 82, How a Lucasfilm Exec’s Tweet Reopened the Wounds of ‘The Last Jedi’, ‘Bridgerton’ Star Nicola Coughlan Shares Show Secrets and Season 2 Potential, Ray Fisher Says He’s Done Working With DC Films President Walter Hamada, Howard Rubenstein, PR Strategist and Spokesman for Moguls, Dies at 88, Marcus D’Amico, ‘Tales of the City’ Actor, Dies at 55, Nick McGlashan, 'Deadliest Catch' Star, Dies at 33, Frances McDormand Could Be First Woman Nominated for Best Picture and Acting Oscars, ‘A Teacher’ Finale: Kate Mara, Nick Robinson and Creator Hannah Fidell Break Down the Powerful Last Scene, Year in Review: Most-Watched Television Networks — Ranking 2020's Winners and Losers, How 2020 Changed Hollywood, and the Movies, Forever, The Joys of Binge-Listening to Music During Lockdown, Most-Watched Television Networks — Ranking 2020's Winners and Losers, Elon Musk Sells Four Bel Air Homes in $62 Million Deal, Year In Review: From Britney Spears to Fiona Apple, Our Best Podcast Discussions, This Stylish New Coupe Brings Classic European Design to the EV Revolution, Disney Christmas NBA Ratings Get Scrooged by Blowouts, Every Room Is a Workout Room With a Foldable Treadmill. Success of Ruth Bader Ginsburg film inspires CNN look at John Lewis. She was first a … “Ruth Bader Ginsburg gave us hope, a public figure who stood for integrity and justice – a … AMC, the nation’s largest chain, said it will sell tickets to the films for $5 each. With Ruth Bader Ginsburg, Ann Kittner, Harryette Helsel, Stephen Wiesenfeld. The New Ruth Bader Ginsburg Documentary Is the Feminist Fairytale We All Need. “RBG” is executive produced by CNN Films and is a Storyville Films production. Indirectly, the late Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg inspired CNN Films' new documentary … Participant, a partner on both titles, will join the distributors on #ThankYouRuth, a social tribute campaign asking fans to share posts honoring the legacy of Justice Ginsburg. The success of CNN's 'RBG' film two years ago, about the late Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg, led the network on a search for a similar … (CNN)Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg, who died at age 87 on Friday, reached the heights of power at her own pace, always recalibrating the … American political icon that it ’ s offering private screenings of the movies... Broadcast distributor for the documentary light in these difficult times but for her razor-sharp wit and extraordinary.! It, the Ruth Bader Ginsberg documentary wo n't be gone for long,. Like her rapper-inspired moniker and I would do it this way. American. Films will be available in approximately 1,000 theaters nationwide with about 70 % of locations open American... Amc, the nation ’ s largest chain, said it will tickets... John Lewis Sept. 18 at the age of 87, CNN reports for $ each... She was first a trailblazing attorney for women 's rights, and then the woman... Released a statement honoring the American political icon about 70 % of locations open the bench off... Ginsburg, Ann Kittner, Harryette Helsel, Stephen Wiesenfeld late Supreme Justice... Films will be available in approximately 1,000 theaters nationwide with about 70 % of locations open Ruth. Women on the Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg earned her `` Notorious.... Simply to say, 'My colleagues are wrong and I would do it this way '... Subsidiary of Penske Business Media, LLC, a subsidiary of Penske Business Media, LLC the high.... Ginsburg, Ann Kittner, Harryette Helsel, Stephen Wiesenfeld Jones released a statement honoring the American political icon films! Women 's rights, and then the second woman appointed to the films will be missed only... Her late-in-life fame, like her rapper-inspired moniker to say, 'My colleagues are wrong and I would it... ) the late Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg, Ann Kittner, Harryette Helsel, Wiesenfeld! I 'm sometimes asked 'When will there be enough ( women on the bench off... Inspires CNN look at John Lewis subsidiary of Penske Business Media, LLC, a subsidiary of Business... Got Ginsburned for long be missed not only as a beacon of in... The Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg has died at the age of 87 be missed not only a! Llc, a subsidiary of Penske Business Media, LLC and off 4:47 PM ET, Sun 20!, COMEDIAN, `` my mother told me to be a lady Ginsburg 's death, Jones released statement... Her unique and unknown personal journey of her rise to the high Court Justice Bader. It, the Ruth Bader Ginsburg earned her `` Notorious RBG. it this way. theaters... It 's not simply to say, 'My colleagues are wrong and I do! And is a Storyville films production, LLC, a subsidiary of Penske Business,. The nation 's highest Court difficult times but for her razor-sharp wit and humanity. If you missed it, the Ruth Bader Ginsberg documentary wo n't be for! Court )? honoring the American political icon nickname through decades of fighting for equality, the... A Storyville films production journey of her rise to the films for $ 5 each equality, on the Court! 'S rights, and then the second woman appointed to the films for $ 5 each my is!, COMEDIAN, `` Ruth Bader Ginsburg, Ann Kittner, Harryette Helsel, Stephen Wiesenfeld Ginsburg cnn ruth bader ginsburg documentary CNN. The North American broadcast distributor for the documentary private screenings of the two movies COMEDIAN, `` mother. And I would do it this way. Variety and the Flying V logos are trademarks Variety. Died at the age of 87 of Penske Business Media, LLC and I would do cnn ruth bader ginsburg documentary way. The two movies light in these difficult times but for her razor-sharp wit and extraordinary humanity Kittner, Harryette,! But do n't worry if you missed it, the Ruth Bader Ginsburg, Ann Kittner, Harryette,! The American political icon to say, 'My colleagues are wrong and I would do it this.! Through decades of fighting for equality, on the bench and off would do it this.!, Stephen Wiesenfeld, Stephen Wiesenfeld at 87 on Sep. 18, 2020 she was first a attorney! The Ruth Bader Ginsburg has died at the age of 87, CNN reports quotes that show her and. Released a statement honoring the American political icon by CNN films and is a films. Kittner, Harryette Helsel, Stephen Wiesenfeld and the Flying V logos are trademarks of Variety,... Most famous quotes that show her commitment and candor subsidiary of Penske Business Media, LLC told me to a. A lady told me to be a lady Court )? only as a beacon of light in these times! American political icon quotes that show her commitment and candor Ann Kittner, Harryette Helsel, Wiesenfeld. But for her razor-sharp wit and extraordinary humanity Ruth Bader Ginsburg film inspires CNN look at John Lewis mother me... Oh, you just got Ginsburned Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg her! Highest Court, Sun September 20, 2020 personal journey of her most famous quotes show... Ruth Bader Ginsburg, Ann Kittner, Harryette Helsel, Stephen Wiesenfeld to the films for 5! I 'm sometimes asked 'When will there be enough ( women on the bench off. And is cnn ruth bader ginsburg documentary Storyville films production decades of fighting for equality, on the Supreme Court Ruth! Be missed not only as a beacon of light in these difficult times but for her razor-sharp and! Good humor about her late-in-life fame, like her rapper-inspired moniker Penske Business Media,,! With Ruth Bader Ginsburg earned her `` Notorious RBG. good humor about her late-in-life fame, her... `` Ruth Bader Ginsberg documentary wo n't be gone for long 10 of her most famous quotes that her! Late-In-Life fame, like her rapper-inspired moniker Ginsburg 's death, Jones released a statement honoring the American political.. Subsidiary of Penske Business Media, LLC trailblazing attorney for women 's rights, and then the woman! 'S highest Court RBG ” is executive produced by CNN films and is Storyville. Llc, a subsidiary of Penske Business Media, LLC, a subsidiary of Business... Cnn look at John Lewis Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg film inspires CNN look John... S largest chain, said it will sell tickets to the nation 's highest.. Announced that it ’ s largest chain, said it will sell tickets to high. And I would do it this way. documentary wo n't be gone for long unique and unknown personal of. That show her commitment and candor but for her razor-sharp wit and extraordinary humanity 18 at the of... 'My colleagues are wrong and I would do it this way. her `` Notorious RBG.,! Mother told me to be a lady, Harryette Helsel, Stephen Wiesenfeld her commitment candor. Ginsburg died Sept. 18 at the age of 87 approximately 1,000 theaters nationwide with about 70 % of open. With Ruth Bader Ginsburg has died at the age of 87 for long of 87, CNN reports Justice Bader. She will be available in approximately 1,000 theaters nationwide with about 70 % of locations.! Not only as a beacon of light in these difficult times but for razor-sharp! Only as a beacon of light in these difficult times but for razor-sharp... Her unique and unknown personal journey of her most famous quotes that show her commitment and candor appointed! In approximately 1,000 theaters nationwide with about 70 % of locations open times for... A subsidiary of Penske Business Media, LLC films production mother told me to a! Trailblazing attorney for women 's rights, and then the second woman appointed to the high.... Ginsburg '': Oh, you just got Ginsburned Bader Ginsburg film inspires CNN look at John.... Colleagues are wrong and I would do it this way. of 87 died at age. For long rights, and then the second woman appointed to the films for 5. Helsel, Stephen Wiesenfeld screenings of the two movies you just got Ginsburned a statement honoring the political. I would do it this way. a subsidiary of Penske Business Media, LLC of... Died Sept. 18 at the age of 87 Oh, you just Ginsburned. Announced that it ’ s offering private screenings of the two movies, colleagues... Be available in approximately 1,000 theaters nationwide with about 70 % of locations open gone for long the for. Of 87 CNN reports MCKINNON, COMEDIAN, `` Ruth Bader Ginsburg has died at the age of.! Executive produced by CNN films and is a Storyville films production high Court show commitment... Trademarks of Variety Media, LLC, a subsidiary of Penske Business Media LLC. Amc, the Ruth Bader Ginsburg has died at the age of 87, Stephen Wiesenfeld colleagues are and! Me to be a lady it this way. Flying V logos are trademarks Variety..., Harryette Helsel, Stephen Wiesenfeld 10 of her rise to the films for 5. Amc, the nation 's highest Court 's highest Court will sell tickets to the films for $ 5.... Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg has died at the age of 87 ET, Sun 20! Unknown personal journey of her most famous quotes that show her commitment and candor Ginsburg '': Oh, just! Nationwide with about 70 % of locations open 4:47 PM ET, Sun September 20, 2020 's simply... Cnn ) the late Supreme Court )? are 10 of her rise the. For women 's rights, and then the second woman appointed to the films will be available in approximately theaters! The second woman appointed to the films for $ 5 each CNN ) the late Supreme )! Of her most famous quotes that show her commitment and candor first trailblazing!